Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

biosterous posted:

redblack wingbird

redbird wingblack, private eye

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

Manifisto posted:

redbird wingblack, private eye

this is a good d&d character name and concept

norris, custodian of cat named
Attorney-in-fact of Norris, Cat Named Thereof

Heather Papps

hello friend

FutonForensic posted:

before I started getting into IDing birds, I looked out the window one day and said, "hey, look, it's some kind of... red-winged... black bird, I dunno." When I actually looked it up I sorta just called it quits for the day

i had this same thing but with red tailed hawks. these birds need an name update.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you

Heather Papps posted:

i had this same thing but with red tailed hawks. these birds need an name update.

they have a long resume of voice acting credits in films as the role of "bald eagle"

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

i was mad when i learned about that

it's because bald eagles sound more like squeaky shrieky chirpy chew toys than anything fierce

such high-pitched chatterboxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po40UtlYskc

Activia

Goal: some kind of neat moth
driveway birbs

thanks deep dish peat moss for the Pomelo Princess!

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

oh my god i love them SO MUCH

their little diddly-bobs!!

i love quail. avshalom/whoever they are these days taught me the love of quail in the chicken thread!

speaking of other threads, did you know that you can get MORE BIRDS on these here forums?!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171184 - making GBS threads birds, for n00bs - a bird photography thread for photographers both new and experienced! the pictures in this thread are often stunning. seriously. if you just need to look at some beautiful birbs, this is a good one. if you want to learn more about photographing birds, this is a good one. the experts are so knowledgeable about their craft, and are more than happy to share their advice on equipment and technique.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933091 - A Bird Thread! - this one doesn't get updated as much, but it's another space for sharing your bird discoveries and for getting advice on bird-watching.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843092 - PYF Birds - what it says. good times for pet owners and bird-watchers alike. great pics, great stories, great info. a nice chill space!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974602 - Critterquesting 2022! - one of my favorite thread series on SA of all time. critterquesting encourages you to go out into the world and photograph the amazing creatures around you, including birds, bugs, lizards, frogs, and everything in-between. part adventure and part horror and part amazement, this thread did so much for my fear of spiders and other insects, and i cannot recommend it enough. even if you're a little phobic, you'll gain some new insight and appreciation into the critters that make up your part of the world.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601 - Backyard Chicken Keeping - learn about all things chicken!!! and other poultry, including quails and ducks. this thread has a ton of wonderful pictures and stories, but also has a lot of important information for anyone who aspires to be a bird keeper, including the hard and ugly aspects, so be forewarned.

OKAY SO in my own personal news, i ordered a very fancy webcam and it's here, and i'm going to give streaming my bird feeders a try in the next few days. stay tuned!

Finger Prince

Speaking of feeder cams, these are particularly great if you're stuck indoors or it's winter and everything is dead and you need to see some outside life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmAV8oHFhg

Allen bird cam in South Africa, near Johannesburg/Pretoria I believe. Lots of cool African birds you won't see anywhere else, and sometimes bush babies and civets at night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtoxxHADnGk

Panama feeder cam at a birding lodge. All sorts of cool and weird tropical stuff, as well as stuff you see up north in the summer that migrate down there for the winter.
Cornell has a ton of other good feeder and nest cams too, but your youtube feed will be inundated with them if you subscribe to their channel.

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

yesss!! those feeder cams are incredible.

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

Stealing from another bird thread but I know what I'll be up to tomorrow!

https://ebird.org/news/global-big-day-2022

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

i counted so many birds today

this guy coming back for a visit was the real highlight early this morning, though

starlings have been showing up in increasing number and absolutely murdering my suet blocks, but i don't know how to discourage them without also scaring off the birds i like, so i guess i just need to get more suet

canyoneer

i was driving back from camping on a dirt road in the desert and couldn't get a picture but i saw a raven today flying off with a snake carcass (probably roadkill)

perhaps it's an omen

Activia

There's killdeers back again at work!

I can't get good shots cause they run away if you get close but its very cute when they do:
https://imgur.com/riHmGTl

Last year there was a pair that had two wee chicks. It was very fun watching them run around. (Except that theres a curb on the field they hang out in and the chicks would inevitably fall off and were too little to jump back up. There's a ramp in one direction but a storm drain in the other and it would stress me out bad when they would run towards it. They both made it to adults though!)

Manifisto

ha yeah the video of the killdeer running is too cute!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

if you get too close to a killdeer's nest (which they will make in the middle of your lawn because they are birdbrained) they will squawk at you a whole bunch and pretend to attack you and then fly away to somewhere away from the nest to try to distract you which i think is kind of a neat defense by deception technique

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Finger Prince

Killdeer are such hilarious drama queens. Any little thing and up they go, deedeedeeee deedeedeeee! They also do that "forsooth, I have suffered a grievous injury! Woe is me, I am such an easy target for predators... I said, I am such an easy target for predators. Over here, stupid biped!" if you inadvertently get too close to their nest. Their chicks are the most adorable little bird orbs though.

Activia

Yeah they make me laugh with all their panicky calls.

Sometimes if you walk by and surprise one instead of running it’ll try to scrunch down and hide

aww, buddy, they just mowed the grass that isn’t working

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

some sort of little fledgling has been chasing its parents around the yard, but i haven't gotten a good look yet. i'm guessing it's a robin.

in other bird news, here is a bluejay. he is very handsome!!

this young mourning dove decided to land 15ft from the feeder and just walk over very slowly. out for a real stroll. mourning doves are notoriously stupid so maybe he was asking to be eaten by something, i don't know.

canyoneer

Saw a lovely little male house finch this morning singing a beautiful song.

bird is there somewhere, I promise

free hubcaps

we haven't put out our feeders in recent years because the black bear population around here has been steadily increasing, I miss all my lil bird pals :(

i think nuthatches are my favorites. the way they crawl around upside down and at weird angles is so endearing

ty Saoshyant!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Caught this bluejay while waiting in my car

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

i love him!

i've started attracting crows. today i went to five guys and stole a bunch of peanuts to give to them. i hope they appreciate my efforts. right now they get spooked and fly away if i twitch the curtains.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

my cat is norris posted:

i love him!

i've started attracting crows. today i went to five guys and stole a bunch of peanuts to give to them. i hope they appreciate my efforts. right now they get spooked and fly away if i twitch the curtains.

best of luck! crows are powerful allies

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poverty goat

I have totally failed to get any good pics, but I've had a pair of great crested flycatchers move into a disused purple martin house. And there's a blue jay here and there but the mockingbird in the front REALLY doesn't like him and is always trying to run him off when I see him. And I just saw a big family of ducks w/ babies :duckie: but too far to get a photo, I should get a real camera

my cat is norris posted:

for a good year+ the deal was they would come when I whistled them but I had to put out the food and leave and it would freak them out and set the whole trust dynamic back weeks if they caught me watching them eat. so I worked on luring them closer over time before putting the food out and getting them comfortable w/ looking at me and me looking back and not trying to eat them. After years of trust building they will fly down to eat as soon as I turn my back, before I walk back inside and close the door, but if I stop and turn around they are like DUDE WHAT THE gently caress. But they will generally tolerate me watching from inside now, and they never act like they need to get ready to flee when we make eye contact anymore

Activia

I’m pretty sure I saw a falcon on a roof a few blocks away. I wish I’d had my phone with me

canyoneer

a male and female quail on the wall. perhaps they are on a date

selan dyin

blue jays are boys, cardinals are girls

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

it's true, i read it in a book.

today's the first day i was able to refill all of the feeders in a couple of weeks...now i have to wait for the birds to figure out that food has returned.

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

my cat is norris posted:

speaking of other threads, did you know that you can get MORE BIRDS on these here forums?!

you forgot the thread for cool bird pictures

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912209&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

poo poo dang thank you

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

There is this glorious red cardinal that has been hanging around in my backyard, but every time I go to snap a picture of him, he flies off. I think he is just extremely camera shy or something. The dude will have no problem with the ladies seeing how red he is.

Manifisto

Zil posted:

There is this glorious red cardinal that has been hanging around in my backyard, but every time I go to snap a picture of him, he flies off. I think he is just extremely camera shy or something. The dude will have no problem with the ladies seeing how red he is.

yeah haha nothing the ladies love more than extreme redness, amirite folks?

ty nesamdoom!

lekker
i am loving this bird content.

two dinos napping hand in hand.

canyoneer

saw a lesser nighthawk outside last night at dusk, scaring the willies out of all the other desert birds. also saw and heard several bats (not birds, but nevertheless small and cute)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tebulot

im hip now bois

I have a very large selection of pigeons that hang out all day outside my apartment, I'll send some pics when l get home