Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How is ‘pwned’ pronounced?
Keep the ‘p’ silent. Don’t draw that much attention to it.
Say the ‘p’! Loud and proud!
View Results

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Wormskull posted:

My Israeli friend who was obsessed with warezing and pronounced it Juarez lmfao said pawned as well.

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Wormskull posted:

My Israeli friend who was obsessed with warezing and pronounced it Juarez lmfao said pawned as well.

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

it's pown. don't listen to the two sickos who voted wrong

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Wormskull posted:

I’ve heard people say Pween. :wtc:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

lmao

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I originally thought it was slang for 'power owned', a step beyond being normally owned.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to need a list of the poll voters so we know who to shame.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Going to need a list of the poll voters so we know who to shame.

it's just me and one other person who voted for the silent P

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

might be off base here just a working theory but silent P = oldest gaming generation. quake mother fuckers..everquest..gen x etc. thought beavis and butthead was the poo poo in college.

hard p = start of millennial generation. csgo..maybe orange box tf2 console..nu metal

me and the other retard who said say pawn = younger crowd. stick arena online and runescape lol. fuse tv

anyone else = foreign / home schooled

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

P'own

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

anyone else ever say haxz0r'd? yeah i totally haxz0r'd your moms rear end last night

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

it's just me and one other person who voted for the silent P

the ultimate lie of P...

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

insane anime posted:

might be off base here just a working theory but silent P = oldest gaming generation. quake mother fuckers..everquest..gen x etc. thought beavis and butthead was the poo poo in college.

hard p = start of millennial generation. csgo..maybe orange box tf2 console..nu metal

me and the other retard who said say pawn = younger crowd. stick arena online and runescape lol. fuse tv

Good analysis , well researched and presented

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

insane anime posted:

anyone else ever say haxz0r'd? yeah i totally haxz0r'd your moms rear end last night

Oh fucj yeahs . Got very fluent in l33t speak in HS

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

insane anime posted:

Close I think, but people were saying pwn with the hard p in counterstrike before steam even launched, so it's pre 1.6 for sure. Counterstrike is definitely where I got it from though, and I am old.

I remember my whole friend group yelling "loving PWNED!" at each other while playing melee after school. Melee came out in 2001... Time pwns us all.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Leadthumb posted:

Close I think, but people were saying pwn with the hard p in counterstrike before steam even launched, so it's pre 1.6 for sure. Counterstrike is definitely where I got it from though, and I am old.

I remember my whole friend group yelling "loving PWNED!" at each other while playing melee after school. Melee came out in 2001... Time pwns us all.

drat lol. so that would have been pre youtube..thats so sick tho

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

first time i definitley heard it was 2005 stick arena. there must have been flavor text for a gun that said sometihng about pwning someone and we wouldve just that it said pawned, is my theory

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

insane anime posted:

drat lol. so that would have been pre youtube..thats so sick tho

I had a commodore 64 and nes as a kid and got a prerelease demo of warcraft on 2 or 3 floppy disks from an electronics expo my dad took me too. If I'm not in the oldest gaming generation then forget everquest, you're talking about people that would go to airport restaurants or wherever just to play those tabletop pong and frogger machines lol.

I think whether you say owned or pwned depends on how big into pc stuff you were around 2000-2002, it probably depends on what games and communities you were into too. I remember we thought it was weird that they said owned in pure pwnage but just chalked it up as part of the joke, or to them being canadian. I don't know anyone who said pwned wrong anymore though so I have no way to prove my theory. I think they probably all died from being stupid.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

This topic is giving me some kind of nostalgia high. I just remembered one time me and my friend were taking turns dying in RE4 and my dad was watching and he just blurted out "that's so pwned!", I don't remember if we responded or how, it just goes blank after that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

insane anime posted:

lol I literally do remember the first time i said it online was after ganking someone in the wilderness

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I had a friend that played ultima and he used to follow people into their houses while invisible and then lock them out after they left and would leave a sign or something that said "pwned by ___".

Never played that game though so I don't know how much of that is a lie lol.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

My dad showed me how play spy vs. spy like a real bastard by showing me all the little tricks, and me and my mom beat contra 2-player while letting me take her extra lives when I ran out. Now I barely talk to them :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

I had a friend that played ultima and he used to follow people into their houses while invisible and then lock them out after they left and would leave a sign or something that said "pwned by ___".

how is Richard Garriot these days?

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Leadthumb posted:

My dad showed me how play spy vs. spy like a real bastard by showing me all the little tricks, and me and my mom beat contra 2-player while letting me take her extra lives when I ran out. Now I barely talk to them :(

Leadthumb posted:

Larry Parrish posted:

lol I literally do remember the first time i said it online was after ganking someone in the wilderness

Leadthumb posted:

I had a commodore 64 and nes as a kid and got a prerelease demo of warcraft on 2 or 3 floppy disks from an electronics expo my dad took me too. If I'm not in the oldest gaming generation then forget everquest, you're talking about people that would go to airport restaurants or wherever just to play those tabletop pong and frogger machines lol.

I think whether you say owned or pwned depends on how big into pc stuff you were around 2000-2002, it probably depends on what games and communities you were into too. I remember we thought it was weird that they said owned in pure pwnage but just chalked it up as part of the joke, or to them being canadian. I don't know anyone who said pwned wrong anymore though so I have no way to prove my theory. I think they probably all died from being stupid.

Leadthumb posted:

This topic is giving me some kind of nostalgia high. I just remembered one time me and my friend were taking turns dying in RE4 and my dad was watching and he just blurted out "that's so pwned!", I don't remember if we responded or how, it just goes blank after that.

:worship: :worship: :worship: this is what the gently caress im talking about. imp zone baby

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

how is Richard Garriot these days?

oh lmao, I guess it was ultima online, is that totally different? Old rpg's and mmo's are a real blind spot for me.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

I originally thought it was slang for 'power owned', a step beyond being normally owned.

This is awesome lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
keep thinking about “what is the sound of pwn with a silent p” like its a zen koan, lol

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

If you meet the Buddha on the road, pwn him

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The lolpwns are always shifted in favor of the l33tspeakers

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

keep thinking about “what is the sound of pwn with a silent p” like its a zen koan, lol

lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
When I first saw it I probably read it as "pawns" with a really short a, but ever since the Kevin Smith wife tweet I can't help but read it with a really strong O sound.

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/2554608773?t=CR2pYeN1u0AQjr6U8FIt4w&s=19

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

American McGay posted:

When I first saw it I probably read it as "pawns" with a really short a, but ever since the Kevin Smith wife tweet I can't help but read it with a really strong O sound.

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/2554608773?t=CR2pYeN1u0AQjr6U8FIt4w&s=19

watching a Zelda stream and I’m thinking about the Three Goddesses of Hyrule: Clit, Brown, and Taint-Area.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

I'm imagining a welsh guy who pronounces it like 'poon'

I try to say it like this because for some reason i aleays try to pronounce new words phonetically, but I don't understand Welsh people at the best of times so it comes out very strange. I'm not going to stop now though

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I actually think when I read it it is said in my mind as poon but never when I say it out loud, the more I think of it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In my entire life to date I don’t think I’ve had cause to say it out loud

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

In my entire life to date I don’t think I’ve had cause to say it out loud

thou hast lived without pwnage and as such, thine life is fail

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Call of Warez

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's like corn pone

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizke