Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How is ‘pwned’ pronounced?
Keep the ‘p’ silent. Don’t draw that much attention to it.
Say the ‘p’! Loud and proud!
View Results

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I don't think anyone should even spell it pown cause that makes it look like maybe you think it rhymes with the word town, and if you say it like that you're loving insane like the people who say super 'mayrio' bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

*using the lowest possible setting on the voice modulator* Your cheeks and nuts shall retain the hue of pure blackness.

lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

insane anime posted:

might be off base here just a working theory but silent P = oldest gaming generation. quake mother fuckers..everquest..gen x etc. thought beavis and butthead was the poo poo in college.

hard p = start of millennial generation. csgo..maybe orange box tf2 console..nu metal

me and the other retard who said say pawn = younger crowd. stick arena online and runescape lol. fuse tv

anyone else = foreign / home schooled

Close I think, but people were saying pwn with the hard p in counterstrike before steam even launched, so it's pre 1.6 for sure. Counterstrike is definitely where I got it from though, and I am old.

I remember my whole friend group yelling "loving PWNED!" at each other while playing melee after school. Melee came out in 2001... Time pwns us all.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

insane anime posted:

drat lol. so that would have been pre youtube..thats so sick tho

I had a commodore 64 and nes as a kid and got a prerelease demo of warcraft on 2 or 3 floppy disks from an electronics expo my dad took me too. If I'm not in the oldest gaming generation then forget everquest, you're talking about people that would go to airport restaurants or wherever just to play those tabletop pong and frogger machines lol.

I think whether you say owned or pwned depends on how big into pc stuff you were around 2000-2002, it probably depends on what games and communities you were into too. I remember we thought it was weird that they said owned in pure pwnage but just chalked it up as part of the joke, or to them being canadian. I don't know anyone who said pwned wrong anymore though so I have no way to prove my theory. I think they probably all died from being stupid.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

This topic is giving me some kind of nostalgia high. I just remembered one time me and my friend were taking turns dying in RE4 and my dad was watching and he just blurted out "that's so pwned!", I don't remember if we responded or how, it just goes blank after that.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I had a friend that played ultima and he used to follow people into their houses while invisible and then lock them out after they left and would leave a sign or something that said "pwned by ___".

Never played that game though so I don't know how much of that is a lie lol.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

My dad showed me how play spy vs. spy like a real bastard by showing me all the little tricks, and me and my mom beat contra 2-player while letting me take her extra lives when I ran out. Now I barely talk to them :(

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

how is Richard Garriot these days?

oh lmao, I guess it was ultima online, is that totally different? Old rpg's and mmo's are a real blind spot for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

I originally thought it was slang for 'power owned', a step beyond being normally owned.

This is awesome lol