Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
mike's hard lemonade, I think.

Great episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ah, yes, that must be it. You can tell i've never had it since I didn't recognize the packaging.

This show jumps around in time a lot, which I think really works very well. I honestly don't think it would have been as good as it is, if it were told chronologically.

The time card-entry program we see, it's a really simple plot device that orients us. A simple, but very effective technique.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 17, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That episode was absolutely loving incredible, this show gets better and better every week and I cannot wait to rewatch the whole thing when it's done. I love that the show, like The Wire, is incredibly dense - there was SO MUCH packed into that episode, but it never felt overstuffed.

That said, this was the first week where I ended up feeling a little confused by the timeskips. During the Freddie Gray protests, they showed Nicole watching them happening, but I thought she was only called into Baltimore AFTER they happened? Or have I messed up the timeline?

Edit: Also Jesus Christ I know it's been said multiple times that the cops are basically another gang, but the utter lack of self-awareness that Jenkins and his bail bondsman buddy showed in regards to selling drugs to make money was so loving infuriating.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

MrMojok posted:

The time card-entry program we see, it's a really simple plot device that orients us. A simple, but very effective technique.

Yeah, I was thinking about how slick that was too. Clever way to keep the chronology straight with out constantly flashing dates every other scene.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

85k paid, 83k in overtime. All perfectly legal. That's not even counting the money they're stealing. Jesus Christ.

On top of that they STILL choose to only work 2 hours of their 8 hour shift, brag about how they can do whatever they want, and yet still get absolutely enraged when anybody dares suggest that they're anything less than the greatest heroes in American history.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jerusalem posted:

During the Freddie Gray protests, they showed Nicole watching them happening, but I thought she was only called into Baltimore AFTER they happened? Or have I messed up the timeline?

No, you're right. She was just watching them from somewhere else, DC or whatever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Got ya, I completely misread that scene and thought she was out on the streets or something, it really confused me!

Edit: Jenkins' "acting" during the redo on the vault was hilarious (if it wasn't so nakedly corrupt)

"This is how you do a textbook seizure! :eng101:"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

85k paid, 83k in overtime. All perfectly legal. That's not even counting the money they're stealing. Jesus Christ.

On top of that they STILL choose to only work 2 hours of their 8 hour shift, brag about how they can do whatever they want, and yet still get absolutely enraged when anybody dares suggest that they're anything less than the greatest heroes in American history.

Right, this dude is making $160,000 per year and still feels the need to steal an additional, what, $20k per year? 30? That he cannot claim on taxes and has to be very careful how he spends it, so as not to attract attention.

loving hell.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This poo poo is so brazen I’m dumbstruck after every episode.

Also they said the name!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really like how the Commissioner's beleaguered smiling explanations for why everything is so hosed up in Baltimore are looking more and more like excuses as each episode goes by. He says all the right things and he explains how things got to the state they're in, and he has this,"Awww shucks I mean it sucks but we're stuck with this you know, what can ya do?" demeanor about him, and Nicole finally reminds the new guy that yeah sure maybe that explains (if doesn't excuse) how things WERE..... but he's the literal Commissioner of Police NOW!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Right, this dude is making $160,000 per year and still feels the need to steal an additional, what, $20k per year? 30? That he cannot claim on taxes and has to be very careful how he spends it, so as not to attract attention.

loving hell.

I would say he was blowing it all at the strip club but he's collecting there too

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Eason the Fifth posted:

mike's hard lemonade, I think.

Great episode

I assume it's a detail taken from real life that he's always drinking Mike's Hard or something similar instead of beer. I agree with Mojok as well that it's infuriating (if sometimes hilarious) that like in The Wire the cops are constantly driving around drunk as hell, throwing empty bottles everywhere, and it's no big deal.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ambalance

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Have they indicated at all what Jenkins is doing with all that money?

When his wife beckons he books it so fast, I think he even left before properly robbing some kids that last time.

I feel she's blackmailing him over getting some strange, or threatening to turn him in and he pays her off? Something. If it's tied to RL events I'm ignorant.

As far as "good cop" in Simonverse, they're almost always homicide detectives. Which is sorta one of the handful of necessary reasons to have anything resembling cops in a society. McNutty landing as a happy beat cop twirling a baton was cheesy and dumb.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
am ba lanz

edit: I just gotta say that that look he does when he's calling the Sgt and you can tell he's actually worried is like, really good acting.

double edit cos this was a great episode. "gently caress Freddie Gray" "gently caress the rioters" Suiter: "gently caress me...."

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 17, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I read the first post about the beverage in question before watching the episode (and reading the later posts identifying it) and thought "I'll bet it's a Mike's Hard Lemonade", lmao :v:

Jerusalem posted:

I really like how the Commissioner's beleaguered smiling explanations for why everything is so hosed up in Baltimore are looking more and more like excuses as each episode goes by. He says all the right things and he explains how things got to the state they're in, and he has this,"Awww shucks I mean it sucks but we're stuck with this you know, what can ya do?" demeanor about him, and Nicole finally reminds the new guy that yeah sure maybe that explains (if doesn't excuse) how things WERE..... but he's the literal Commissioner of Police NOW!

This is true to some extent, but the police union is also pretty powerful (there was an earlier scene with Herc's actor that alluded to this) and has the ability to obstruct a lot of what Landsman or any other would-be reformer would try to do. He could try, sure, but it'd likely accomplish little and expend all of his political capital within the department. So he only moves on cops when it's a slam-dunk that even the union can't beat, and very little changes. It's Simon.txt: the system is broken.

Also I just picked up Homicide last night and while it had a pretty rough start it's sucking me in. So far (and from the blurb) it seems to be ardently pro-cop, but still enlightening in terms of how departments work, etc.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Also Jesus Christ I know it's been said multiple times that the cops are basically another gang, but the utter lack of self-awareness that Jenkins and his bail bondsman buddy showed in regards to selling drugs to make money was so loving infuriating.

It seems like in both The Wire and here, none of the people most directly fighting the War on Drugs think it can be won. They’re all either just showing up and doing their job for the money, benefits, enjoyment etc. or treating it as a pure us vs. them thing. And if it’s the second, then since they’re the “good guys”, of course they can use a little or sell drugs on the side for extra cash. It’s not bad when they do it!

In The Wire, we’re shown how there’s never a shortage of new players entering the game. No matter how many dealers the unit takes down, they can never stop the Baltimore drug trade. It’s a good bet that the real-life cops this story is about came to similar conclusions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm reminded of season 2, where Nick Sobotka has enormous pride in being a "working man" and says some pretty frankly racist poo poo, but he doesn't even hesitate for a second when it comes to selling drugs himself and sees absolutely nothing wrong with the notion since after all he's been unfairly treated by the system and he's just doing what he needs to do to look after his family.... but of course that's different to when other people do it!

Jenkins is angrily bitching that he's putting his life on the line for barely any money (160k a year LEGALLY paid out to him for his work!) and that it somehow justifies his crimes, while also working barely any hours, knowingly planting evidence (you can bet he still somehow blames the guys he falsely accuses, or continues to believe they're criminals rather than that he made a mistake) and having a reign of terror. He's simultaneously complaining about being the little guy ill-treated by the bosses AND declaring that he owns the city.

What a piece of poo poo. What a great performance by Bernthal.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MrMojok posted:

loving hell.

My dude he is shown stealing what must add up to hundreds of thousands a year.

Also that cold open was just the absolute most sickening poo poo. Then later seeing Jenkins (a murderer) act all outraged asking how they can pin a murder on cops doing their jobs. Saying Freddie Gray had a knife (look how much poo poo we see getting planted in this episode alone) it's just gently caress, it's something.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 17, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MrMojok posted:

loving hell.

See that's the funny part, as much as the show is highlighting the cash thefts and searching people without PC or a warrant (and it is def. what brought them to the attention of the FBI and IA), what really brought them all down was the rampant overtime theft.

It's entirely possible that if Jenkins et al. didn't engage in the level of OT theft that they did and managed to be a little more careful in covering their tracks, they'd still be out there today.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's entirely possible that if Jenkins et al. didn't engage in the level of OT theft that they did and managed to be a little more careful in covering their tracks, they'd still be out there today.

Makes you wonder how many other Jenkins there are who are just that little bit more careful.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'm liking the show, but feel that the scripts should include more instances of the word ambulance.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

someusername posted:

Have they indicated at all what Jenkins is doing with all that money?

This is an interesting question that I have thought about before, and like to pose to people.

I think of it as the “No Country”hypothetical. You find a briefcase with two million dollars in it, only you don’t have killers hunting you down, you’ve gotten away with the suitcase scot-free.

Great! But now, what do you do with that money? You can’t deposit it into your savings account. You could deposit $9,000 at a time into your bank to evade reporting regulations, but you’d have to do that well over 2,000 times and looong before then, the jig would be up.

There is the idea of laundering the money which is what makes the most sense, and also isn’t without risk.

Another idea is you keep it in a safe in your house. Hope you never get robbed, hope the house never burns down. And use cash at the grocery store, use cash to eat out. I suppose you could go to a place where they sell money orders and get small money orders to pay your electric bill, your cable bill. I suppose you could also buy money orders to pay your rent or mortgage, although you’d have to be real careful about that.

Buying a really nice car or boat or a new house, these are all things that can attract attention, and your goal above all is to avoid attracting the attention of the eye are ess, because once they get onto you, you are straight-up screwed, it’s just a matter of time.

Obviously Jenkins and co. are taking much smaller sums of money than in the No Country dilemma, but you can see in the scene where Jenkins tells them to be careful and not spend large amounts, that they are well aware of all this.

So I’d guess they all have it in a safe or under their mattress and are spending small amounts here and there.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
It's pretty strongly implied that the bailbond business is laundering the money. The cops just have to not get stupid and show too much cash. But these are cops so they are all very dumb and that's basically how they got caught.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pirate Radar posted:

It seems like in both The Wire and here, none of the people most directly fighting the War on Drugs think it can be won. They’re all either just showing up and doing their job for the money, benefits, enjoyment etc. or treating it as a pure us vs. them thing. And if it’s the second, then since they’re the “good guys”, of course they can use a little or sell drugs on the side for extra cash. It’s not bad when they do it!

In The Wire, we’re shown how there’s never a shortage of new players entering the game. No matter how many dealers the unit takes down, they can never stop the Baltimore drug trade. It’s a good bet that the real-life cops this story is about came to similar conclusions.

It's the same with the cops where you can never stop the corruption too. The way their job performances are evaluated (numbers, arrests, dope on the table, clean corners) just perpetuates it and achieves nothing. I don't think your average cop gives a rat's rear end who does or sells drugs and those that do are quickly pushed to the side. I've heard it posited that it you pay police more they won't go on the take and I honestly just have to laugh when I hear that. Like, people think they skim and steal because they're paid so little.

MrMojok posted:

This is an interesting question that I have thought about before, and like to pose to people.

I think of it as the “No Country”hypothetical. You find a briefcase with two million dollars in it, only you don’t have killers hunting you down, you’ve gotten away with the suitcase scot-free.

Great! But now, what do you do with that money? You can’t deposit it into your savings account. You could deposit $9,000 at a time into your bank to evade reporting regulations, but you’d have to do that well over 2,000 times and looong before then, the jig would be up.

There is the idea of laundering the money which is what makes the most sense, and also isn’t without risk.

Another idea is you keep it in a safe in your house. Hope you never get robbed, hope the house never burns down. And use cash at the grocery store, use cash to eat out. I suppose you could go to a place where they sell money orders and get small money orders to pay your electric bill, your cable bill. I suppose you could also buy money orders to pay your rent or mortgage, although you’d have to be real careful about that.

Buying a really nice car or boat or a new house, these are all things that can attract attention
, and your goal above all is to avoid attracting the attention of the eye are ess, because once they get onto you, you are straight-up screwed, it’s just a matter of time.

Obviously Jenkins and co. are taking much smaller sums of money than in the No Country dilemma, but you can see in the scene where Jenkins tells them to be careful and not spend large amounts, that they are well aware of all this.

So I’d guess they all have it in a safe or under their mattress and are spending small amounts here and there.

It's that "another part" idea there that's the smart play but the greed always wins out.

Imagine how easy your life would be if you could pay cash any time you needed clothes, a new computer, work on your car done, home repairs, food, restaurants, booze, or buying small things like a lawn mower, a bicycle, some tools, a cleaning service, a car wash, lottery tickets, smokes, haircuts, hotels, gas, a TV, or even a used car. Think of all the routine things you swipe an ATM card for and add that poo poo up.

For the stuff you need to really pay On the Books like a mortgage, utilities or a car note, just deposit a couple hundred bucks here and there and don't get loud or aggressive about it. Drive a modest car and live in a modest place. Buy some prepaid credit cards or gift cards.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 17, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

It's pretty strongly implied that the bailbond business is laundering the money.

Ah, okay. I was thinking Jenkins was using him as a fence for confiscated drugs, but the laundering was something I didn’t get.

This morning I’ve been rewatching the first four episodes from the beginning and making new connections, even though I’ve seen all these multiple times.

The show is dense and just like with the wire, you need to pay really close attention.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/1526380249520427009?s=21&t=4cGcvUjJsXglZ1iBNgExZA

e: also cannot get over “Jenkins had this thing about anybody over like 18 carrying a book bag. He figured they were concealing drugs, or weapons.”

Also Jenkins just cooly strutting up to the car saying “I’m a federal agent. We’re employing a wiretap and you are not our subjects, but we did overhear that there was going to be a drug deal in this lot. And being as we smell marijuana, we’re gonna have to search your car.”

The incredible, disgusting arrogance.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Give Bernthal all the awards

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
the bail bonds guy is supposed to be the bank/laundry? jenkins always looks like he's sizing the place up for a robbery every time he's in there, though I guess one doesn't preclude the other.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MrMojok posted:

https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/1526380249520427009?s=21&t=4cGcvUjJsXglZ1iBNgExZA

e: also cannot get over “Jenkins had this thing about anybody over like 18 carrying a book bag. He figured they were concealing drugs, or weapons.”

Also Jenkins just cooly strutting up to the car saying “I’m a federal agent. We’re employing a wiretap and you are not our subjects, but we did overhear that there was going to be a drug deal in this lot. And being as we smell marijuana, we’re gonna have to search your car.”

Wow. This is why body cams need to be mandatory at all times.

You know, they could have just taken the unbroken safe itself into evidence, right? Or maybe not. I don't know how any of it stood up anyway because they went in there without a warrant to start with and Jenkins said he was gonna go get one.

Despera posted:

Give Bernthal all the awards

Different show but Rhea Seahorn is overdue to get hers.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 18, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Having a cop tell you they smell marijuana in your car is the most infuriating poo poo

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Different show but Rhea Seahorn is overdue to get hers.

Career awards are lame and since most award shows are too they can wait another year

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

boo boo bear posted:

the bail bonds guy is supposed to be the bank/laundry? jenkins always looks like he's sizing the place up for a robbery every time he's in there, though I guess one doesn't preclude the other.

After rewatching that episode I guess I may have overestimated some parts. I thought Double D and Wayne were more organized in their business based on that one scene of Double D stacking rolls of bills from Ep2 or 3. That said, it would make sense for Double D to be the bank/laundry, but then again we cannot overstate how loving stupid these cops were.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The scene in episode three where the bailbondsman and Jenkins are talking on the dock, at night.

BB says “I could take it off your hands, for an amount up front.

J says “What did you have in mind?

BB: Well I usually deal in coke, so… fifteen?

What was this referring to? Marijuana?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probably 15 grand

yeah oxy from rite aid

Despera fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 18, 2022

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh, I thought they were still talking about coke at that point. Of course, then he shows up—with the garage door still open to the street!—holding two Hefty bags full of pain pills that “the animals” were taking from a store, but what does that make you, Wayne?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MrMojok posted:

The scene in episode three where the bailbondsman and Jenkins are talking on the dock, at night.

BB says “I could take it off your hands, for an amount up front.

J says “What did you have in mind?

BB: Well I usually deal in coke, so… fifteen?

What was this referring to? Marijuana?

Not sure, but I assumed drugs of some kind. Either weed or heroin. Not sure it matters, just implies that Jenkins is also stealing drugs and the BB is his fence.

Loved the courtroom scene with juror after juror talking about how they don’t trust the police. gently caress, I’ve never even had a bad run in with the cops and I don’t trust them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If Wayne or any of the other cops in that unit stage a corpse I’m rescinding anything negative I ever said about the fifth season of the wire.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Not sure, but I assumed drugs of some kind. Either weed or heroin. Not sure it matters, just implies that Jenkins is also stealing drugs and the BB is his fence.

Loved the courtroom scene with juror after juror talking about how they don’t trust the police. gently caress, I’ve never even had a bad run in with the cops and I don’t trust them.

$15k of weed at supplier prices is a lot of weed. I supposed heroin from that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Heroin is kind of what I was thinking too, only I thought maybe 15 was a percentage.

What got me wondering was the speculation ITT that the bailbondsman was also laundering Jenkins’ theft money, in which case 15% could be a fee for that.