Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's funny to me is that no one's ask where the thread name's come from yet.
Because let me tell you something, it might be a pun based on the dark portal
but the source material the quote is based off of is no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tithin posted:

What's funny to me is that no one's ask where the thread name's come from yet.
Because let me tell you something, it might be a pun based on the dark portal
but the source material the quote is based off of is no joke

Other titles I considered for this LP:

This is All the Jailer's Fault (for the moment) - Let's Mock 30 Years of Warcraft!

You Don't Think You Want This, But You Do - Let's Mock 30 Years of Warcraft!

What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been - Let's Mock 30 Years of Warcraft

MRRRRGGGGBLLLE! Let's Mock 30 Years of Warcraft!

Giving Creeping A Whole New Meaning - Let's Mock 30 Years of Warcraft!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Siegkrow posted:

Ehhh...
Not really? You could make the argument that *no backstory* is less messed up than "evolved from Kaiju debris", but I like it, it is more interesting than "evolved from apes, but the apes were green"

evolved from Kaiju debris is an extremely metal origin story imo

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cythereal posted:

This is All the Jailer's Fault (for the moment) - Let's Mock 30 Years of Warcraft!

That last one is very chef kiss

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
So question did the Orc and Human origins were explained pre WOW? Or the plot is that the Orc are fleeing from another place to the Human's place?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ChaosDragon posted:

So question did the Orc and Human origins were explained pre WOW? Or the plot is that the Orc are fleeing from another place to the Human's place?

The orcs are from another planet and have arrived on Azeroth via a magical gateway called the Dark Portal, that much is established in the manual. The humans of Azeroth, however, don't know about this. As far as the humans are concerned, the orcs burst out of nowhere from the direction of uncharted swamps and jungles. No one ever saw an orc before the current war began and the humans don't know that the orcs are from another planet.

It was one of those very 90s 'mostly a fantasy setting, but also space travel and other planets via magical means' games.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yup. The ~LORE~ in the Warcraft 1 manual from the orcs' perspective is, at this point, that they came here from another world after conquering and ruining theirs with endless wars. Anything before that is a big ??? and demons are mentioned as part of the game but they're not yet anything other than random horned hellfire monsters. I know where my manual for the first game is, I could go grab it to look for any more particulars, but it was very barebones at first.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cythereal posted:

If you want any of those swapped in at any time, you know where to find me.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

evolved from Kaiju debris is an extremely metal origin story imo

This one gets it!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah honestly of all the dum poo poo in WoW/WC the origin of races is pretty cool.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I've never played the RTS games, but I did play WoW from late vanilla to late Cataclysm. The lore problems didn't seem that bad at the time, and I didn't notice the racism. Looking forward to seeing this play out!

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I have no idea how a company this progressive ran into the legal troubles they did.

Now imagine how a very vocal portion of the fan base reacted to the news that elves could now be black.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nebakenezzer posted:

So loremasters, let me ask a question: did the origin of Orc at some point have a *less* messed up story than "literally descended from Kaiju of destruction"? Why did the blizzard people do this?

What is messed up about that origin story? They're descendants of Titan construct, like basically every other race in WoW. And it's not a Kaiju of destruction anyway, it was arguably the opposite.

Edit: There's definitely quite a bit of messed up stuff in Warcraft lore, but there's imho only one playable race with a problematic origin story, the other races have origin stories that are usually pretty cool. But I haven't been really active since Cata, so I might have missed some of the bad stuff.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 8, 2022

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm hyped! I played the RTS series as a kid, so I got semi-fond memories of them, even the janky as hell WC1. Going from 2 and being able to select multiple units at once to WC1 and the slower pace of the game was already a hurdle back in the day. I never got into WoW and didn't care that much for the expanded plot and setting of WC3, so I'm intrigued to see how wild things got in the ~deep lore~.

Also Warcraft 2 had some rad music. This is the most important factoid of the series :colbert:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh cool, a Warcraft LP! I played the very first one back in the day and maybe Warcraft 2 or 3, but I barely remember and never kept up with it. Sounds like it'll be cool to look back on the series as a whole!

what

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bifauxnen posted:

Oh cool, a Warcraft LP! I played the very first one back in the day and maybe Warcraft 2 or 3, but I barely remember and never kept up with it. Sounds like it'll be cool to look back on the series as a whole!

what

:unsmigghh:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

disposablewords posted:

demons are mentioned as part of the game but they're not yet anything other than random horned hellfire monsters.
If I remember correctly, you can summon a demon with Orc Warlocks later in the game in WC1, right? It's some kind of generic Balrog looking unit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
quote is not edit

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah honestly of all the dum poo poo in WoW/WC the origin of races is pretty cool.

Yeah, personally I fell out of following Warcraft after The Frozen Throne, so I'd seen how the humans/dwarves/gnomes were descended from the Titans' robots but cursed by the old gods to turn into flesh. That was cool, and at the time the implication was that the Old Gods and the elementals were native to Azeroth and the Titans had come along and colonised them (with an implicit threat that if the Titans ever find out what's going on here they'd burn everything down to get the fleshy taint away) so there was some interesting moral ambiguity around where all these peoples had come from.

Unfortunately Blizzard hates moral ambiguity so I guess the old gods are now evil invading aliens that happened to get there before the good invading aliens, and it's all built around a war against Space Satan (but not the Space Satan that had been there for half the series, he got too much characterisation so now he needs to be tragically fighting against a bigger evil).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tenebrais posted:

Unfortunately Blizzard hates moral ambiguity so I guess the old gods are now evil invading aliens that happened to get there before the good invading aliens, and it's all built around a war against Space Satan (but not the Space Satan that had been there for half the series, he got too much characterisation so now he needs to be tragically fighting against a bigger evil).

But it gets even worse

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just remember, every time you think 'that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard' you are always wrong

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, that's quite a huge undertaking, looking forward to learn about just how messed up Warcraft has become...

Cythereal posted:

in 2020 the Horde's newest (at the time of writing) race proved their worth and joined the Horde in part by defeating an attempt by peons to unionize by throwing them a pizza party and giving them meaningless but impressive-sounding titles with no increase in pay or change in working conditions.
...they seriously did this?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

...they seriously did this?

Would it make it any better if I mentioned that the resolution of that storyline was revealing that the guy attempting to unionize the peons was a power-hungry warlord who wanted to start a revolution of the peons to install him as the new warchief and then institute a reign of terror, so the new batch of little furries were welcomed into the Horde for preventing a peasant revolt and civil war?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
loving hell.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Cythereal posted:

Would it make it any better if I mentioned that the resolution of that storyline was revealing that the guy attempting to unionize the peons was a power-hungry warlord who wanted to start a revolution of the peons to install him as the new warchief and then institute a reign of terror, so the new batch of little furries were welcomed into the Horde for preventing a peasant revolt and civil war?

It doesn't. I think? :psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cythereal posted:

Blizzard why :negative:

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
I'm here, giving Cythereal my full support and hoping to see some magic happen!

(Sorry, all. Got married, had a kid, and now I run a school which - as it turns out - takes up a lot of time. Please keep LPing and absolutely dunking on Blizzard as they more then deserve it now.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Azzur posted:

(Sorry, all. Got married, had a kid, and now I run a school which - as it turns out - takes up a lot of time. Please keep LPing and absolutely dunking on Blizzard as they more then deserve it now.)

But consider how educational a finished Warcraft 2 LP would be! It'd be a good example for the kid, too!

(I joke! Hope you're having a good time!)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
All this really reminds me of is how loving old I am that I remember playing this and fully grasping everything as a teenager. :corsair:

This is one trainwreck that's only going to get worse, especially as I know nothing past vanilla WoW lore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azzur posted:

Glad to have you! I really enjoyed your LPs!

As it happens, while my plan is to mostly keep to a weekly update schedule, at least the next update will happen well before then because Human 1 is also very short.

Regarding lore post plans, I have firm plans for lore topics to overview for a while, but after a certain point I intend to open the floor for people to suggest things they think they want to know more about. :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Azzur posted:

You live! Too bad about the saga of Nigel Necksmasher, Vilefeast, Bloodgut and the rest, but this should be enough to tide us over. And yeah, I totally get real life dropping a load on plans, but good to see you doing well! Now I want to reread the archived LPs you did and remember the good times and the lore bombs we had in that thread…

Cythereal posted:

Now this I did not know, which makes sense since I parachuted out of keeping up with Warcraft lore around the time Battle for Azeroth was heating up and Sylvanas had become Warchief (and of course would subsequently lose that position because she was becoming too “evil” especially after Garrosh and Blizzard has to make the Horde continue to be “morally ambiguous” so that they don’t lose the players who would be turned off by genocide and the like that they would be committing lore wise (and trying not to pander to those who would absolutely play the Horde because of it)). I didn’t even know that particular race existed, and I was glad not to know until now…

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Rarity posted:

Blizzard why :negative:
I knew half of the retcons made in WoW Lore, and after seeing what's become of the game and the company behind it I honestly can't wait to see what Mega Space Satan is announced next as the TRUE mastermind behind the last one who turns out is tragically manipulated and wasn't so bad really.

All of this because some orcs came through a portal to fight humans. Man, this LP is going to go places and this reaction is never going to stop being relevant.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My prediction is that Diablo, Lord of Terror, will be revealed as the true Horde Ultimate Evil so they can merge the franchises. Then, later, he will be revealed as either the catspaw for or the resistance against someone else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Recording Human 1 was very short, so that's going to go up earlier than planned, probably within the next few days, and I think it's safe to say that anyone who hasn't been on discord or PMs with me discussing this project is going to be rather surprised about how I'm going to handle this and what the accompanying lore post is going to cover.

My general plan is to do updates at least once a week, with the potential to be more often if the mood and inspiration strikes me.

GhostStalker posted:

Now this I did not know, which makes sense since I parachuted out of keeping up with Warcraft lore around the time Battle for Azeroth was heating up and Sylvanas had become Warchief (and of course would subsequently lose that position because she was becoming too “evil” especially after Garrosh and Blizzard has to make the Horde continue to be “morally ambiguous” so that they don’t lose the players who would be turned off by genocide and the like that they would be committing lore wise (and trying not to pander to those who would absolutely play the Horde because of it)). I didn’t even know that particular race existed, and I was glad not to know until now…

In the interests of disclosure, I mostly stopped playing WoW during Battle for Azeroth in favor of checking out this obscure little game called Final Fantasy 14 that my friends wouldn't stop raving about. I might not have ever touched Shadowlands had a family member not bought the expansion for my birthday, not realizing I'd largely dropped the game.

I still follow the game pretty closely (in large part because Final Fantasy 14 drove me away pretty drat hard), but I'm very pessimistic about Dragonflight. WoW explicitly called what happened to my favorite race in the whole setting an act of genocide, and this after years of defanging them - but that's a tale for Warcraft 3.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Deadmeat5150 posted:

All this really reminds me of is how loving old I am that I remember playing this and fully grasping everything as a teenager. :corsair:

This is one trainwreck that's only going to get worse, especially as I know nothing past vanilla WoW lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfupO4ZzPs

Cythereal posted:

This is in no way hyperbolic or exaggerated.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

achtungnight posted:

My prediction is that Diablo, Lord of Terror, will be revealed as the true Horde Ultimate Evil so they can merge the franchises. Then, later, he will be revealed as either the catspaw for or the resistance against someone else.

Given the fight against space satan is the plot for Starcraft 2...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The weird thing about that anti union plot is that there was already a bit about unions in the Horde, specifically for the goblins...

And it was actually pro union! You had to negotiate with the goblin union on behalf of a goblin leader to get some of the workers to do a dangerous expedition after they'd recently come back from one and you actually discuss safety and hazard pay (and also free pizza or something like that) and it ends with an agreement, the union representatives having done their job in making sure the workers are adequately compensated for what they are being asked for.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Cythereal posted:

I still follow the game pretty closely (in large part because Final Fantasy 14 drove me away pretty drat hard), but I'm very pessimistic about Dragonflight. WoW explicitly called what happened to my favorite race in the whole setting an act of genocide, and this after years of defanging them - but that's a tale for Warcraft 3.

If I remember correctly from Azzur’s LP, your favorite race was the Blood Elves? After all the retcons, I must say I’m somewhat morbidly curious about how Blizzard hosed it up even more.

EDIT: Oh, that makes sense.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Judging by the description she's talking about Night Elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

If I remember correctly from Azzur’s LP, your favorite race was the Blood Elves? After all the retcons, I must say I’m somewhat curious about how Blizzard hosed it up even more.

Night Elves.

And.

Uh.

How about we not talk about this one again for a while? :v:

For those unaware of what Night Elves are or what that official Blizzard artwork is depicting, we'll talk about this in Warcraft 3, assuming the LP gets there.