Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Congrats on finishing! I'm a little sad that you missed out on War3's heyday with regards to custom maps. It occurs to me now that I don't think I ever finished the campaign for War3/TFT (despite easily sinking 1,000+ hours into the game), so this has been a fascinating look into stuff that I had only ever heard about secondhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

bewilderment posted:

So a key point I haven't seen about the final mission:

It's DotA!

OK, kind of.
Your allied bases continually spawn units to help you take Proudmoore, who will also run around the map with some hero units.

Theramore island is flooded with the Proudmoore's troops and units and buildings. You need to steadily demolish them to make progress (this isn't very hard on Normal mode). Slowly, you push the tide.

Jaina saying "please don't kill the men I know" is an actual mechanic. Some of the buildings on Theramore are invincible and 'belong' to Jaina. They will still regularly spawn units to try and push the Horde back, but the buildings themselves can't be destroyed.

Unlike actual DotA, the buildings on this map don't have "backdoor protection" (almost instantly heal damage dealt by your heroes unless allied units are nearby), which means the optimal strategy is to run past everything and kill the spawner buildings in the back.

The main other buildings of note are the super-towers spread around the map, which deal heavy damage with high attack speed - but since they deal magic damage they can't hurt you if you have spell immunity, and the second map has a shop with an infinite supply of the item that gives you that.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Good work.

Cythereal posted:

I probably should have put this in the post-script, but I'll just note that my personal favorite thing to come out of this LP was that I somehow got myself and people in the thread cheering for a happy ending for Onyxia of all people. :v:
Especially with this.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The War3 custom map scene was absolutely legendary but Reforged singlehandedly destroyed it out of spite

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

"greed". the word you're looking for is "greed".

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

TLM3101 posted:

I don't forsee myself buying another Blizzard product either.

Same. But it's mainly because I don't like any of their games. I have the free stuff I grabbed (Starcraft and Starcraft II), but I haven't spent any of my own money since Frozen Throne many, many years ago.

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Thank all y'all for reading!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and magnificent undertaking.

Have you any interest in answering questions about your fanfiction/OC sections?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Feldegast42 posted:

The War3 custom map scene was absolutely legendary but Reforged singlehandedly destroyed it out of spite

I wasted so much time on the custom map scene for War3, it was glorious in what people pulled off with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DariusJonna posted:

Have you any interest in answering questions about your fanfiction/OC sections?

Sure, now that the LP is done.

I'm happy to discuss any questions people have about my writing or processes.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 6, 2024

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

AtomikKrab posted:

I wasted so much time on the custom map scene for War3, it was glorious in what people pulled off with it.

One of my earliest core memories in the Warcraft 3 Custom scene is one of the absolute earliest versions of DOTA, playing a hero who used the Shaman model, I think. Firelord, Flamelord, something like that? His Ultimate was "Meteor", which functionally was just Inferno, except the crash landing did something like 400 damage, and the Infernal had 0 duration, and just expired instantly.

I kept killing the same person with it over and over. I think an early Venomancer. And he called me "Meanie Rock Dropper" and I found it hilarious.

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Sure, now that the LP is done.

I'm happy to discuss any questions people have about my writing or processes.

So what's Anduin up to, in the Isaverse? Varian having a good-ish upbringing and not being a child-king musta changed some things.

Also, any petty bitch decisions you got for any established characters? Sorta "this happens to this person because gently caress their hair!"

Finally, you got this as a fanfic, right? But when you think of this dead branch timeline, you clearly had an idea of like canon and how that all goes down. That thought experiment, you had it in your head a certain way? Like as an MMO or a book series with those tropes and narrative techniques.

DariusJonna fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 6, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DariusJonna posted:

So what's Anduin up to, in the Isaverse? Varian having a good-ish upbringing and not being a child-king musta changed some things.

He's presumably doing well.

quote:

Also, any petty bitch decisions you got for any established characters? Sorta "this happens to this person because gently caress their hair!"

Aside from turning Fadral Staghelm into the Lich King, not really.

quote:

Finally, you got this as a fanfic, right? But when you think of this dead branch timeline, you clearly had an idea of like canon and how that all goes down. That thought experiment, you had it in your head a certain way? Like as an MMO or a book series with those tropes and narrative techniques.

As a matter of fact, the short stories I've posted in this LP are almost the sum total of what I've written. There's a few more I started but didn't go anywhere I was satisfied with, like a story about Alexstrasza calling a diplomatic summit that lead to that timeline's version of Wrath of the Lich King, or a story of Isidora's timeline's assault on the Broken Shore in their version of Legion, but those didn't amount to much.

I don't actually keep much of a written record or plan for this kind of thing. I write largely by intuition and feeling things out as they go, making note of details as I establish them to keep myself straight.

My usual process is that I'll establish two or three key points about a character or story (such as for Isidora, the fact that she succeeded Llane as king and that she was not personally involved in the fighting directly), then let the rest happen as whim and intuition strike me in the moment.

Isidora marrying Onyxia, for example, wasn't planned at all! I'd planned to have Isidora discuss the [lack of] potential for diplomatic marriage and express frustration with the general absence of available women. It only occurred to me when I was writing that post that hey, Katrana Prestor would be around and I thought it would be funny so I went with that.

Aside from a few things to make my narrative conceits work, like how I planned for Azélie and her adventures to always be a false memory of Alleria's brought on by the Void, I really don't plan that far ahead as a general rule. I write what strikes me as the moment, make notes so I can keep future writing consistent, and let whim and ideas that occur to me take their course.

Very few of my short stories took more than half an hour or so to write. The big exception being that epilogue piece from the final update, which went through several revisions and three separate titles until I settled on one I was happy with. I'm not used to writing straight-up romance.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 6, 2024

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Does Grom ever find happiness or healing without the need for drink, potentially with the help of Aegwynn recruiting him and an Infinite or Bronze for a time travel tour of "repeatedly have Grom punch Medivh" while she watches and laughs? Him or anyone on her poo poo list any given day. You making him act more somewhat like a Warhammer orc freeboota made him far more entertaining than he ever was while still feeling pretty bad for him during the Cenarius debacle.

Also where would Kael'Thas go once out of Revendreth? Unless he'd join them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FrenchBen posted:

Does Grom ever find happiness or healing without the need for drink, potentially with the help of Aegwynn recruiting him and an Infinite or Bronze for a time travel tour of "repeatedly have Grom punch Medivh" while she watches and laughs? Him or anyone on her poo poo list any given day. You making him act more somewhat like a Warhammer orc freeboota made him far more entertaining than he ever was while still feeling pretty bad for him during the Cenarius debacle.

Honestly, my take on Grom is that this is happiness for him. He gets to fight and feast and drink for all eternity, beholden to no one as a freelance troublemaker. He just gets a bit sad sometimes when he's reminded of certain points in his life.

quote:

Also where would Kael'Thas go once out of Revendreth? Unless he'd join them.

That depends entirely on how you interpret his character. I have no particular opinions on the matter.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Congratulations on finishing the WC3, now time to start playing through every custom campaign in existence! :haw:

In all seriousness, this has been a fun ride and I always enjoy talking about the lore in Warcraft, the good and the especially bad.

Cranachan
Jun 29, 2023
Congrats on seeing this through to its conclusion! Especial kudos to your own writing, and to the lore posts as well. You've got a real knack for condensing and presenting it all.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Thanks for the LP, especially the lore posts! The "forcing a sullen teenager to do a book report when they just want to write mopey gay fanfic" energy has been fun.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've spent the past 2 days replaying Dungeons 3 thanks to this thread (it's a Dungeon Keeper clone with a lot of meta and referential humour), and while said humour is very hit-or-miss, I have to say that this LP has actually made me appreciate it a lot more than I did when i first got it. Makes me wonder how Warcraft could have gone on as an IP if they had just stuck to being cheesily mock-serious as opposed to trying to go the Serious Fantasy For Serious Players™ route it seems to have taken.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It vacillates back and forth. Word on the street this week is that Danuser is gone because of Blizzard's return to office orders, so it wouldn't surprise me if the dramatic edge of the past several expansions tones down a bit. Which isn't to say that people won't die, they'll still die, but it'll be more of a "orc shrugging his shoulders and saying 'oh well'" sort of thing, unless they're important in which case it'll happen in a glorious cutscene.

A lot of people say they don't like grim seriousness but also are weird about the story when it takes a low-stakes approach. An example would be the running narrative about goblins in this thread that isn't about racist tropes, because they're the most Looney Tunes thing in the game and have been a part of the setting since WC2; yet it was the endless jokes about them paving over a nature preserve to build a Walmart and the Horde tacitly supporting that which rubbed OP the wrong way. Even though their storylines are always low stakes comic relief that is ultimately meaningless to the greater narrative. However, they aren't alone and I'm not trying to single anyone out, because complaining about extremely minor details that are only passingly referenced in books and lore material and rarely if never felt in game is like a hobby among Warcraft lore fans. I have 'em too, Maiev's aborted heel turn being the itch I had to learn to stop scratching.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 10, 2024

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Danuser is gone? Did some light googling and it looks like his linkedin has him leaving blizzard in Nov 2023 :lol:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't give a drat who's at Blizzard and has what title. I only care about what they produce.

As it is, take general Blizzard news and discussion to the appropriate threads.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Edit: gently caress it. Never mind. Not doing this here. But you've really got to stop acting like starting a thread gives you authority to dictate what people post about in it. (Particularly when it comes to something you post about frequently in it, since you've routinely have shared that you think of him as a hack who made your enjoyment of the game worse.)

Edit 2: I'll just calmly add, if you want to limit discussion to only in-universe, that's totally okay. But you regularly talk about out of universe stuff. That opens the door. Death of the author has been decidedly disabled for the recaps.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 11, 2024

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Isn't this thread over though, like. What's the point of posting policies anyway?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GunnerJ posted:

Isn't this thread over though, like. What's the point of posting policies anyway?

I'd prefer to leave this thread open for any future readers or anyone still working their way through to comment if they wish.

This is not a general WoW/Blizzard chat thread and never has been, even if I've generally been relaxed about moderating it.

Craptacular! posted:

But you've really got to stop acting like starting a thread gives you authority to dictate what people post about in it.

As a matter of fact it does.

Craptacular! posted:

(Particularly when it comes to something you post about frequently in it, since you've routinely have shared that you think of him as a hack who made your enjoyment of the game worse.)

Edit 2: I'll just calmly add, if you want to limit discussion to only in-universe, that's totally okay. But you regularly talk about out of universe stuff. That opens the door. Death of the author has been decidedly disabled for the recaps.

The author is alive, well, and is telling you to knock it off.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Aha! So now you're in favor of slamming the big red button that shuts all the bots down!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cythereal posted:

As a matter of fact it does.

:rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Suit yourself.