Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA

or even *a* real you? everyone has different personas for different situations, but does the one you use on sa feel like an authentic version of yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MCMXCV

not anymore. fyad bullied me into putting up an ironic front, now all i do is cry myself to sleep at night and order uber eats to fill the empty void inside of me

EorayMel

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You tell me, OP :catstare:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ass-penny

probably as authentic as it is possible to be while posting anonymously on the internet. making this in byob is going to skew your results too, I think there's a lot less irony posting here than some other SA folders.

Manifisto

authentic posting comes not from any delusion of self but springs, entire, into existence as from the formless void. *splurble* uh, what were we talking about?

ty nesamdoom!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
There is no me; there is only the breath of God stirring up the dust of the earth until it comes to rest again.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Yep

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
to a certain degree, all social interactions are performative, op. consciously or unconsciously, different roles are assumed depending on context. oh course, these roles are simultaneously being interpreted by the audience, and intended signals can easily be interpreted differently.

otoh, i'm a bot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Wicked ZOGA

rear end-penny posted:

probably as authentic as it is possible to be while posting anonymously on the internet. making this in byob is going to skew your results too, I think there's a lot less irony posting here than some other SA folders.

yeah but I did want at least SOME sincere answers

Buttchocks posted:

There is no me; there is only the breath of God stirring up the dust of the earth until it comes to rest again.

:hmmyes:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm fake, but my posts are real

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
i think so

i think most of my social interactions irl are the fake ones because we have to act a certain way at work etc. so people don't perceive us as weird

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

or even *a* real you? everyone has different personas for different situations, but does the one you use on sa feel like an authentic version of yourself?

Nah op I'm three trash bags of taco bell potatoes in a trench coat.

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:
I'm only real when I'm posting

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Posters only love you when they're posting - fleetwood mac

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Heather Papps

hello friend

it's the me i want to be: a bit more cheerful and positive and friendly than i am in meatspace but i do not think anyone who knows me well would find any of my posts terribly surprising

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

biosterous

the way i post here is closest to the way i am at home with spouse: lots of absent-minded stream of consciousness blathering and smiles and jokes and laughing about butts

other places online i post more like i am out in public and have to "be respectable" and "be clothed" and all that dumb poo poo

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Macnult

same tbh

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Doesn't feel like it. But I guess people wouldn't be surprised I make these posts. If anything I'd like to be the respectable Bart seen here.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
It's pretty damned close. Whichever psychologist/philosopher first discussed wearing masks in everything we do in life, can get bent, even though it's true. I've been trying to figure out all the different masks I wear and stop doing so. But it's really tough in situations. Like in a job interview, are you supposed to just, be your true self (whatever the eff that is?), or sell yourself? I try to push myself to be as close as possible to that self, but it seems like we're always selling ourselves to others.

I get damned close to the real me these days in everything I do, consequences-be-damned. I've lost several jobs back-to-back because I speak to bosses like I would a person in any other position, and some of them expect you to "respect the position" which just, lol. Like my current boss, the sous chef, was poking fun at a coworker for being short (he's neighbors with her IRL and has known her for years), and even though it was my first time working with the chef and my first day, I went ahead and joked just as I would with a long-time friend. Him to her: I don't know how short people can survive in life, etc. yuck yuck yuck. A big, smug smile on his face. (and it was all in good humor). Me to him: I'm just trying to figure out how you can fit in this kitchen with an ego that big. The whole kitchen went quiet, and then the chef just started laughing, "you'll fit right in."

I mean, I guess I've just gotten to the place where I don't care if I don't? If I don't fit in, I'll move on. It's not my place to please everyone. BYOB is the closest I've ever been able to get to being "myself" online. But even that can change. I tend to view interactions I have as life experiences and levels that I can either pass or fail. For better or worse. I've never properly felt like I've "fit-in" with any group in life. My friends groups are always changing. It's usually me leaving them and finding others. Which sucks because I want a group that I feel comfortable with, but I've never fully found that. Again, byob is pretty close, but the reality is I don't even feel I properly fit in here. I'm just a scramble of brains and probably set up expectations that can never be reached by others.

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 9, 2022

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Heather Papps

hello friend

Viginti Septem posted:

It's pretty damned close. Whichever psychologist/philosopher first discussed wearing masks in everything we do in life, can get bent, even though it's true.

as a kid who grew up with majoras mask the mask metaphor is super loving salient in my understanding of myself and my relations to others but i have always felt that a better metaphor is a light source and coloured gels. depending on the circumstance we alter the spectrum of light we express, or maybe it's intensity, but the source is always the same.

i've also never really felt like i've fit in, even in the situations that i do fit in. i have friends who love and accept my eccentricity and the consequences of my mental illness, and a family who does the same, but that doesn't change how i feel, i guess.

cruft

Oh, serious answers?

Okay, then.

Yep.

I feel like I have to put up a front for other places but this is pretty much legit me.

I think another way of saying that is that I feel the most comfortable here.

I mean, honestly, you're going to change your behavior depending on the social situation. That's just human nature. But this situation feels like the lowest effort, so inasmuch as any behavior I exhibit is more or less "real" than another, this is the one that takes the least amount of effort for me and is what I'd choose if I had the option in other situations.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 9, 2022

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
As a kid who grew up with Ocarina of Time, I view everything as... small, vessel flute instruments?

cruft

Viginti Septem posted:

As a kid who grew up with Ocarina of Time, I view everything as... small, vessel flute instruments?

As a kid who grew up in Ocarina of Time, same.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Viginti Septem posted:

things are frequently a matter of (air) pressure and placement yes

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
I'm just as irredeemably mediocre IRL so I reckon it's a close match :thunk:

Viginti Septem posted:

Like in a job interview, are you supposed to just, be your true self (whatever the eff that is?), or sell yourself?

I'm just me for interviews because I've decided pretending I am different is too much effort if they do take you on. I have no idea what they are actually looking for personality wise and they sure as hell are not going to tell you straight, so stuff it, you get what you see and if that is not good enough I dodged a bullet IMO.

Having said that, I also got headhunted for the last 3 positions (last was an internal move) so I think my results may be skewed :confuoot:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Heather Papps posted:

things are frequently a matter of (air) pressure and placement yes

cruft posted:

As a kid who grew up in Ocarina of Time, same.

Like the scene in Beetlejuice in Juno's office with the football players realizing that they don't think they survived the bus crash, I'm suddenly not so confident that I ever made it out of the Lost Woods.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
job interviews pretty much requires people to lie

frump truck

hello... again!

i feel like my posting persona is a more frivolous version of real me

biosterous posted:

the way i post here is closest to the way i am at home with spouse: lots of absent-minded stream of consciousness blathering and smiles and jokes and laughing about butts

this sounds like an ideal relationship (sincere post)

Ass-penny

Nosfereefer posted:

to a certain degree, all social interactions are performative, op. consciously or unconsciously, different roles are assumed depending on context. oh course, these roles are simultaneously being interpreted by the audience, and intended signals can easily be interpreted differently.

otoh, i'm a bot

This is a good post.

It is good to post in byob with the authentic orbs :geoduck: :unlimited: :yosbutt:

Ass-penny

Maybe the real reality was the posts we made along the way.

Elentor

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It feels like an illusion, it's a character but not a bit. I don't think IRL me translates to the internet.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nosfereefer

rear end-penny posted:

Maybe the real reality was the posts we made along the way.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
perhaps my sig says something about the duality of orb :thunk:

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

If we're going to realpost then:

Yes, this is exactly how I act in real life, which makes people kind of flip out sometimes. I gave up trying to be "cool" and aloof and ironic decades ago and if I make a joke it's because it seemed funnier in my head. I just genuinely like people, if I have beef with them I tell them directly, and why, and usually we talk it out. If I tell someone I love them I mean it. And I love my friends, so I tell them a lot.

I post here because it's nice and calm and most people that post here get that. We occasionally get people who think BYOB is only nice ironically and, maybe it was ten years ago. But we also grew and changed. Like you, dear reader.

The Wicked ZOGA

I am still haunted by the notion that sincerity is cringe and irony is necessary to be funny or entertaining, but if I'm trying too hard I can't be either (idk if I manage it when I'm *not* trying, but at least it matters less)

cruft

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I am still haunted by the notion that sincerity is cringe and irony is necessary to be funny or entertaining, but if I'm trying too hard I can't be either (idk if I manage it when I'm *not* trying, but at least it matters less)

At some point -- and you can't force this, it just has to happen -- you will stop caring about whether you are funny or entertaining. At this moment, you will have reaching posting enlightenment.

cruft

cruft posted:

At some point -- and you can't force this, it just has to happen -- you will stop caring about whether you are funny or entertaining. At this moment, you will have reaching posting enlightenment.

If I'm being honest, 17 years of making dad jokes has really helped in the not-caring-whether-or-not-it's-funny department.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
My jokes are supposed to be funny?

Ass-penny

Fourth panel of the intern meme:

You all have jokes?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

if we're gonna realpost here, i'd like to add that by the very nature of posting (it being written, anonymous, but also recheckable for ages), all interactions on this site is going to be fundamentally different from a face-to-face chat anyway. that is not to say that my posting is insincere, but rather that any form of communication forms the message in a certain way. and that doesn't in any way make different kinds of self-expressions necessarily more genuine or not. personality imo is basically a social process, not something set in stone, but rather something that takes different forms in different settings. i don't really think what kind of a person "i truly am" devoid of any social context really makes sense.