Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

FMguru posted:

grim times for cougars

i solemnly volunteer my services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

the best baby bell

bell atlantic was always the real bell

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

$3? where can i get one

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pile Of Garbage posted:

that was probably my sixth re-watch. it's the one show that i can re-watch in full every couple years or so and not get bored on. i find with other shows i rewatch them and end up skipping "boring" episodes but the wire that poo poo i just watch. good poo poo.

btw at some point HBO released/aired a 16:9 720p version so if you've still got the old 4:3 look for a new download

at some point they released a HD 4:3 version too, that's what i'd be looking for. with the 16:9 crop you lose a ton of the image

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

at some point they released a HD 4:3 version too, that's what i'd be looking for. with the 16:9 crop you lose a ton of the image

the widescreen isn't a crop, they originally filmed it in 16:9 and broadcast a 4:3 crop

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

the best baby bell

best babybel is the red gouda ones

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kazinsal posted:

the widescreen isn't a crop, they originally filmed it in 16:9 and broadcast a 4:3 crop

huh, that's pretty forward-thinking for 2002 i suppose. i've seen both versions anyway, it's all good (unless they cropped the crop, lol)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Large Testicles posted:

best babybel is the red gouda ones

yeah the other ones are weird and not good

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

graph posted:

yeah the other ones are weird and not gouda

:cmon:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the blue one is gross and the brown one is weird as hell

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

yecch

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
there's also a green vegan one and its weird

edit:welp

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i'll take my cheese mooing tyvm

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

New Av source

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

typography is my passion

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

huh, that's pretty forward-thinking for 2002 i suppose. i've seen both versions anyway, it's all good (unless they cropped the crop, lol)
https://www.theverge.com/2014/12/28/7457291/the-wire-hd-screenshot-comparisons
some shots had to be re-composed for the widescreen version, but sounds like they did what they could to keep the intent

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kazinsal posted:

it's both, they filmed it 16:9 but it was framed for 4:3
it's not as bad as buffy, but they did have to crop some shots to hide things that were never supposed to be visible plus everyone crowds the center of the frame

e: lol at the widescreen buffy release

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
same, same

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

duz posted:

iirc they did this with babylon 5 too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duz posted:

it's not as bad as buffy, but they did have to crop some shots to hide things that were never supposed to be visible plus everyone crowds the center of the frame

e: lol at the widescreen buffy release

lmao

anyway yeah that was called shooting "16:9 safe" or "4:3 safe" (depending on what you were cropping to), remember that 35mm film is 3:2. i didn't know they'd done it for the wire, earlier i figured it was a bit too early for them to be thinking about HD. but on second thought 2002 is about right, i had thought that the wire was from a few years earlier anyway

in comparison you can see that buffy clearly didn't shoot 16:9 safe all the time, lol, even if they intended to. i certainly wouldn't have expected them to way back whenever buffy started, i don't feel like looking it up because i'm sure it's in the 90s

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Imagining myself trying to secretly calculate some bullshit in class with my .7mm mechanical pencil lead breaking off with every push of the button.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao

anyway yeah that was called shooting "16:9 safe" or "4:3 safe" (depending on what you were cropping to), remember that 35mm film is 3:2. i didn't know they'd done it for the wire, earlier i figured it was a bit too early for them to be thinking about HD. but on second thought 2002 is about right, i had thought that the wire was from a few years earlier anyway

in comparison you can see that buffy clearly didn't shoot 16:9 safe all the time, lol, even if they intended to. i certainly wouldn't have expected them to way back whenever buffy started, i don't feel like looking it up because i'm sure it's in the 90s

yeah HBO was on that poo poo from the mid 90s. the pilot for The Sopranos was filmed 16:9 safe in 1997, and 16:9 was standardized as the high definition aspect ratio all the way back in 1993 (though some experimental systems before that used 5:3)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Imagining myself trying to secretly calculate some bullshit in class with my .7mm mechanical pencil lead breaking off with every push of the button.

I made an easy $20 one day lending my Casio calculator watch to someone who wanted to use it for a math test

and this was in like 1996, that was good money back then

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i once rented out my casio calculator watch for $20 ... and that was 1996 money!!! is some purestrain old man nerd poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

i once rented out my casio calculator watch for $20 ... and that was 1996 money!!! is some purestrain old man nerd poo poo

you would know

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

rotor posted:

yeah kinda lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

you would know

i absolutely would, yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kazinsal posted:

yeah HBO was on that poo poo from the mid 90s. the pilot for The Sopranos was filmed 16:9 safe in 1997, and 16:9 was standardized as the high definition aspect ratio all the way back in 1993 (though some experimental systems before that used 5:3)

yeah that's cool, i didn't know HBO had HD in mind that early

re: old man poo poo and earlier HD formats, a while back i posted some MUSE footage i found on archive.org somewhere, it might've even been this thread. anyway there's actually quite a bit of it on there, it's really incredibly impressive for the time period and it is nuts seeing that era in HD but still shot with that era's equipment lol. i don't know what it is about it, but it just transported me back to the 90s watching it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
these two posts. the first format is from 1989! it's the experimental one you mentioned, sony HDVS. check out the video, it's loving cool rear end poo poo

Beeftweeter posted:

this sony HDVS (analog HD) demo from 1989 is cool as all hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbBuBRY3iJ8

(the bozo that uploaded it did an ai upscale to 4k, but yeah the native aspect ratio is 5:3)

it also includes some shots of people using NeWS

and also MUSE Hi-Vision

Beeftweeter posted:

here's a 1993 MUSE hi-vision (another analog HD format) demo showing lower manhattan

i can't embed this because the filename has kanji in it but https://archive.org/details/hd_20230827

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 24, 2024

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

whyyyyy does it have two stems. so close, such wasted potential

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
at least it's not a banana hammock

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i claim no responsibility for this one

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

tiny news lady

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ooh it's an optical illusion. she's actually Godzilla sized, rampaging downtown

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
There's always money in the banana divan

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

how much could it possibly cost? ten dollars?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fukkin' lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

betty boof posted: