Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Beeftweeter posted:

this is cool as hell. how do you do the engraving? i assume from the post with some sort of, uh, fiber... laser? (lol i know absolutely nothing about this stuff)

otoh my wife is into this kind of poo poo too but does it by hand and it takes absolutely forever lol, i'm sure she'd like some sort of more high tech solution where she can just design something and a machine does the rest. but then again i suppose she probably knows about this and prefers to do it by hand (she has a masters in fine art) lol, idk. i like coins too, lots of them are pretty neat

Yeah it's a 20w 1064nm Fiber by ComMarker. It's basically one of the cheapest "good" entry-level fiber lasers from China, I picked mine up for about $1900 shipped, and splurged and added the 2 rotary attachments and controller (so you can engrave round things from big stuff like those vacuum mugs everyone is carrying these days, to things as small as rings) for another ~$600. I also bought another lens (which I need to install and calibrate) to do finer detail work (smaller work area, but higher power concentration), and an X/Y table for positioning things. It can mark/engrave basically any metal you can think of, and most plastics, but not glass or wood.

I also have a Glowforge 40W CO2 gantry-style laser for doing organics (wood, plastics, glass, etc) that I thought I'd told the story of in this thread, but after searching though my posts, maybe not.

Back in 2015ish I got on the original kickstarter for Glowforge. The deal back then was $2000, $50 to get on the kickstarter list, and then when it came time for them to ship, you'd pay the other $1950 when they'd ship in 12 months. I put $1950 in a separate bank account and just let it sit. Well 12 months comes and goes, and they go "umm sorry, it's gonna be another 6 months." That comes and goes, and they say "umm another 6 months?" This happens several more times and I'm like "whatever, I'll never see that money again." In late 2018, early 2019 I get a call from UPS: "Hey, we have a 90lb package for you, can you have someone there to receive it tomorrow?" I'm like "wait what?", and take a day off, and lo and behold, there's a laser and $300 worth of proofgrade materials for it on my doorstep. I get it into my spare bedroom and unbox it, then check my bank account all they way back to the time of the kickstarter. They've never taken any money from me other than the original $50. I call them up and go "hey so about this..." and they look up my account "yep you've paid, enjoy your laser" and I go "no I don't think I have?" and the nice lady goes "Yes. You've paid. have a nice day."

And that's how I got a laser for $50. I was drinking heavily at the time and this was right around the time of my disability retirement bullshit, and then COVID etc. so it just kinda sat collecting dust for 3 1/2 years until I got my poo poo straightened out about a year ago, cleaned out my spare bedroom and converted it into a workshop, and here we are today.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ho ly poo poo. what a tale. congrats for real

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

spookykid posted:

He's got a ton of people already clamoring to get theirs done as well. This isn't really a BIG break, but it's been keeping me busy and is decent cash for a couple hours of work a day. I estimate it's about $25/hr, but I work when I want to, and don't work when I don't want to.

gently caress yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

images thread v2.0: incredibly cool jobs with mysterious origins

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
hello fellow laser-haver. mine is a bit chonkier, a raycus RFL-C1000. 1000w of eyeball exploding 1064nm goodness. it's more for cutting/welding/cleaning, but i'm now looking into a galvo head.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that's a much more impressive version of the time I scanned a crate of beer and it rang up as a single can and they didn't notice (best day of my life for several years)

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

rotor posted:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

fins posted:

hello fellow laser-haver. mine is a bit chonkier, a raycus RFL-C1000. 1000w of eyeball exploding 1064nm goodness. it's more for cutting/welding/cleaning, but i'm now looking into a galvo head.

1000w with a galvo head... mother of god.

E: and here I am thinking I'm baller for spending $400 adding an X/Y table and a 720mm lift arm for the head on my setup.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 27, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

rotor posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's like lasing a stick of dynamite

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that's a much more impressive version of the time I scanned a crate of beer and it rang up as a single can and they didn't notice (best day of my life for several years)

I ordered two tall cans of coors on DoorDash and what showed up was two full cases coors. best lazy day

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lady looks super chill observing the aggravated assault with a deadly weapon being committed at the bar

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it’s a deep space dive bar. they call that a wednesday

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lady looks super chill observing the aggravated assault with a deadly weapon being committed at the bar

that guy didn't tip on his last drink

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Did another "2.5D" deep engrave on one of the last couple "trash" brass coins from Amazon, it turned out shockingly well:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

spookykid posted:

Did another "2.5D" deep engrave on one of the last couple "trash" brass coins from Amazon, it turned out shockingly well:

this is sick as hell and I appreciate you sharing your work with us :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we should design a yospos challenge coin and send them to particularly good posters. i'm in for a few bucks.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Jonny 290 posted:

we should design a yospos challenge coin and send them to particularly good posters. i'm in for a few bucks.

I was about to volunteer my services for something like that or a coaster pack. I've already done a bunch of coasters for the GTA: online goons. I did them basically deep discounted for them, and I'd be willing to do the same here. If there's a discord or something for discussion, DM me.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

spookykid posted:

I was about to volunteer my services for something like that or a coaster pack. I've already done a bunch of coasters for the GTA: online goons. I did them basically deep discounted for them, and I'd be willing to do the same here. If there's a discord or something for discussion, DM me.

ok but

Jonny 290 posted:

send them to particularly good posters

this is forums 4'33"

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

this is forums 4'33"

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

AtomD did those awesome ident logos. I say maybe mimic those, but I have a few design ideas for a challenge coin too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

ok but

this is forums 4'33"

turn your monitor the gently caress on.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the 'best poster' challenge coin should have a middle section that's entirely matte black

on the other side, maybe a 'worst poster' label and it's all glossy enamel black

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

at least be yospos about it and make it a among the least awful posters challenge coin

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

spookykid posted:

super impressed at how smooth the big flat engraved areas look

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i'll help bankroll too if this is happening.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Jabor posted:

super impressed at how smooth the big flat engraved areas look

Myself as well, that was just a quick pass with some small brass wire wheels in a rotary tool. If I get deeper into the coins rabbithole, I might look into getting a metal tumbler or seeing if my buddy the machinist will let me use his.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the goat coin

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Milkie coin

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

milkie on one side, goatman on the reverse. heads i win, tails you lose

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

Milkie coin

yes, this is the way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

Milkie coin

Big Fan b/w Eat poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i like the balance that the idea of having smile/frown milkie on either side provides