Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
SVT Stream (If YouTube Geoblocked) | Americans have an English stream on Peacock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhyLh5sGRRI

Chat with Goons in Discord!

It's time for smoke, wind machines, swearing at the national juries, and drunkenly figuring out bloc voting is going to
go this year!

After winning ESC 2021 in Rotterdam with the song Zitti e buoni by Måneskin, we're off to Italy for the 66th installment
of the yearly song competition! This made Italy the second member of the "Big Five" to win the contest since its
establishment, following Germany's victory in 2010. (They don't seem to win much, fancy that.)

It will be the third time that Italy hosts the contest, having previously done so for the 1965 and 1991 contests.

Måneskin's victory also made them the first band to win the contest since Lordi for Finland in 2006,
another great outcome for Eurovision.

40 countries are competing this year for the chance at victory and opportunity to host next year's event.

This year's contest takes place the week of 9 May. Semi-Final 1 is on 10 May, Semi-Final 2 is on 12 May and the
Grand Final is on 14 May.

Once a year, the internet becomes flooded with ridiculously strange/awesome images, GIFs, and music videos that
resemble nothing so much as American Idol on LSD.

The Eurovision Song Contest is the longest-running annual international TV song competition, held primarily among the
member countries of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) since 1956.

Each participating country submits an original song to be performed on live television and radio and then casts votes for
the other countries' songs to determine the most popular song in the competition.

Viewers in the countries of the Participating Broadcasters are invited to vote for their favourite songs (without the
possibility of voting for the song representing their own country) by means of televoting, which shall be implemented in
all the countries of the Participating Broadcasters. In both Semi-Finals and in the Final, the final scores of the songs in
each country shall be calculated on the basis of both the results of televoting and the National Jury's vote.

Since 2008, the Eurovision Song Contest consists of three live shows, aired prime-time to millions of homes across
Europe.
During two Semi-Finals, viewers and juries across Europe determine which countries will be represented in the Final.

10 May. Voting open to participating countries plus France and Italy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DykX5iBMnUs

Albania - Ronela Hajati - Sekret
Latvia - Citi Zēni - Eat Your Salad
Lithuania - Monika Liu - Sentimentai
Switzerland - Marius Bear - Boys Do Cry
Slovenia - LPS - Disko
Ukraine - Kalush Orchestra - Stefania
Bulgaria - Intelligent Music Project - Intention
Netherlands - S10 - De Diepte
Moldova - Zdob şi Zdub & Advahov Brothers - Trenuleţul
Portugal - MARO - Saudade Saudade
Croatia - Mia Dimšić - Guilty Pleasure
Denmark - Reddi - The Show
Austria - LUM!X feat. Pia Maria - Halo
Iceland - Systur - Með Hækkandi Sól
Greece - Amanda Georgiadi Tenfjord - Die Together
Norway - Subwoolfer - Give That Wolf A Banana
Armenia - Rosa Linn - Snap

12 May. Voting open to participating countries plus Germany, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4bW_Fcnmw

Finland - The Rasmus - Jezebel
Israel - Michael Ben David - I.M
Serbia - Konstrakta - In Corpore Sano
Azerbaijan - Nadir Rustamli - Fade To Black
Georgia - Circus Mircus - Lock Me In
Malta - Emma Muscat - I Am What I Am
San Marino - Achille Lauro - Stripper
Australia - Sheldon Riley - Not The Same
Cyprus - Andromache - Ela
Ireland - Brooke - That's Rich
North Macedonia - Andrea - Circles
Estonia - STEFAN - Hope
Romania - WRS - Llámame
Poland - Ochman - River
Montenegro - Vladana - Breathe
Belgium - Jérémie Makiese - Miss You
Sweden - Cornelia Jakobs - Hold Me Closer
Czech Republic - We Are Domi - Lights Off

On 14 May the top 10 countries from the semi-finals will join France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK in the
Grand Final. The big 5 get a free pass to the Final for better or for worse, by paying for a large portion of the contest.

France - Alvan & Ahez - Fulenn
Spain - Chanel - SloMo
United Kingdom - Sam Ryder - SPACE MAN
Germany - Malik Harris - Rockstars
Italy - Mahmood & BLANCO - Brividi

The contest is open to members of the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) and Israel is a part of it.
Australia is just special. :iiam:

Leaving us this year is Russia. They were kicked out of the contest for obvious reasons.
Doesn't matter, we have Armenia back to replace them instead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhMpP--HDk

Chat with Goons in Discord!
Join us in irc.synirc.net channel #eurovision as we get ready for this year, and drink straight through it!

Here's a comprehensive ESC drinking game to ensure you end up in the hospital by Saturday night:
http://www.aleth.talktalk.net/eurosong.html

2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012
2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003

less than three fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hell yes. Anyone going? I have tickets to the televised semi on Tuesday and then the family shows for Thu/Sat. Can’t wait.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Jezebel is not a good song with some of the verse lyrics giving me literal :confused: reactions but I must root for The Rasmus for idiot reasons

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jezebel sucks. One of the worst songs this year imo. I absolutely love Italy’s song

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I hope the giant steps on more people

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
If Ukraine wins a 2nd time because of a Russian invasion. :munch:

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 8, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Jezebel sucks. One of the worst songs this year imo.

you might say i don't know how it got in my blood

i'm listening to the rest of the contestants now finally and lmao, bulgaria

cyprus p good tho

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 8, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Serbia's music video is, uh, it's a choice

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

quote:

As of 2016, it was deemed almost impossible to attain nul points total due to the new voting system. Despite this, the United Kingdom still managed to receive nul points in 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

On first skim through of the songs this year seems pretty good. France has a cool ethno-rave ala Go-A from last year.

Notable shitshows are the Rasmus, Norway's awful banana song and Bulgaria's "Intelligent Music Project" which is just feeble 80s buttrock.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Citi Zeni without doubt have the best opening line of any Eurovision entry ever, and I can only hope however it’s censored will be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bno10845GT8

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Looks like it's replaced with silence and a giant flashing cat face. Which, inadvertently, directly contradicts the message.

I hope they just actually say the line; for the hell of it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
:woop:

North Macedonia's singer is in trouble after posing for cameras with little national flags first, then tossing them on floor for posing some more. Disgracing the flag is a crime in Northern Macedonia :ohdear:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Citi Zeni without doubt have the best opening line of any Eurovision entry ever, and I can only hope however it’s censored will be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bno10845GT8

I hate this song so much. Death to meme songs.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m still in slight disbelief that not only has the UK sent an entry that doesn’t suck balls, it’s also one of the entries with the highest chances of winning? The Big 5 in general this year have sent strong entries, which is very much not what I’m used to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

I’m still in slight disbelief that not only has the UK sent an entry that doesn’t suck balls, it’s also one of the entries with the highest chances of winning? The Big 5 in general this year have sent strong entries, which is very much not what I’m used to.

I think Italy winning last year really showed it’s anyone’s game. My gf is obsessed with the Spain entry this year. I’m not a fan but I think the rest of the Big 5 have good to great songs.

Actually wait Germany probably suck, they always do. Can’t remember it now that I think of it

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Once again Moldova is best in show. It's such a pity that they wont make it past the semis.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m disappointed in Moldova’s staging. Maybe I’ve been spoiled by Doredos (probably one of my favourite Eurovision entries ever). Also, it’s in the same semis as Latvia and Norway (the other two comedy song entries). I feel like I should like Moldova more but it’s not really grabbed me.

I honestly enjoy most of the other entries more like Portugal, Sweden etc. I did not think I would like Portugal and it will never win in a million years, but it’s become something I listen to a lot in my free time as it’s chill and hits emotional beats I gravitate towards.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
As an American, I still understand nothing about Eurovision.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

I think Italy winning last year really showed it’s anyone’s game. My gf is obsessed with the Spain entry this year. I’m not a fan but I think the rest of the Big 5 have good to great songs.

Actually wait Germany probably suck, they always do. Can’t remember it now that I think of it

Germany could've sent Electric Callboy, but the deciders thought their music was not radio suitable enough. So yet another weak pop song was picked. Yay.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nooner posted:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's a boring whiny Macklemore thing.

Spain is just a stock sexy lady dance song even including a boom boom zoom zoom rhyme.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In line with tradition, I will not encounter most of the entries until they are on stage on Saturday.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

lmao it feels like someone says this every year, and it always ends badly for the UK.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I thought the UK one was boring as poo poo which is arguably worse than being bad but interesting

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UK song is the dullest thing on a list that includes multiple songs I skipped out of.

Spain's song is the chicken nugget of spanish songs about dancing, but I like chicken nuggets

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm assuming Ukraine is guaranteed the win and everyone else is playing for second.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Barudak posted:

Spain's song is the chicken nugget of spanish songs about dancing, but I like chicken nuggets

This is the best description of a song ever

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Somehow, that Norwegian entry may have been the best of the bunch - I don't remember much of the national finals, and that's a fair summary of how exciting the other entries were. Which does not mean its a great song, but at least it's not yet another nondescript ballad. (Which seems to be our baseline entry for some reason)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hammerite posted:

I'm assuming Ukraine is guaranteed the win and everyone else is playing for second.

I dunno, I can see it doing well in the public vote but not the judges vote.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I hope next year Russia will relaunch the Intervision Song Contest so we get to watch who will win: South Ossetia's, Luhansk's or Russia's singer?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Doll House Ghost posted:

lmao it feels like someone says this every year, and it always ends badly for the UK.

The fact is that the bookies have the UK tied with Italy at second (behind Ukraine for obvious reasons). It helps that the artist can actually sing and I personally enjoy the song. Anyone saying the UK had a chance to win last year was high as gently caress.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

I'm looking forward to the UK still getting null point, despite this.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

Somehow, that Norwegian entry may have been the best of the bunch - I don't remember much of the national finals, and that's a fair summary of how exciting the other entries were. Which does not mean its a great song, but at least it's not yet another nondescript ballad. (Which seems to be our baseline entry for some reason)

Going from KEiiNO a few years back to lol banana wolf is an utter travesty.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As an American, I still understand nothing about Eurovision.

the only rule?

alvays stay cool

like a svimming pool

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Remember when Eurovision was hosted by Sun City?

What the gently caress?

Oops, sorry, I meant Israel.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Hooray for the most wonderful time of the year! Let's have a look at the entries for the first semi, then...

Albania: A goth witch queen encourages you to pick up hitchhikers to the tune of a reasonably catchy Balkan beat.
Latvia: Only the ESC could possibly bring us this unholy union between a horny vegan Greenpeace enthusiast and the Holiday Rap.
Lithuania: This chanson-esque song that doesn’t really go anywhere is just the thing if you’re craving for music that you will forget about within 10 seconds after the song ends.
Switzerland: A sad lad who seems to have a bit of a sore throat appears to have missed the point of Robert Smith’s song.
Slovenia: An undeniably successful attempt at making a disco song that’s about as unexciting and joyless as possible.
Ukraine: Ah yes, traditional Slavic hip-hop, replete with unconvincing dancing and what appears to be a white man masquerading as the quintessential black group member by being covered all over in dark tattoos.
Bulgaria: A rock band from the year 2000 was transported to the present to raise awareness about stalking behaviour in games.
The Netherlands: This girl has a real predilection for climbing into unusual and presumably uncomfortable spaces, but at least she’s got a pretty decent song.
Moldova: Surely the most irresistibly upbeat, Slavic, The Ramones-referening song about riding the train ever written.
Portugal: Mellow and groovy is not the ESC way as such, but it's one of those rare Portuguese entries in English and that helps.
Croatia: Romantic pop songs don't get much more perfectly average than this.
Denmark: Bonnie Tyler meets 4 Non Blondes, cannot be stopped, and is not sorry for it.
Austria: Take the stylistics from Rock Me Amadeus on the one hand and early ‘90s Eurodance videos on the other and mash them together to produce a neat video and very danceable track.
Iceland: Perhaps Iceland pushed a wrong button somewhere or something, because they have submitted a perfectly adequate but unremarkable country song instead of something that would either offend or confuse the general populace.
Greece: Submitting a song about an apparent suicide pact seems a bit grim for the ESC, but all right.
Norway: I thought “monkey cheese”-style meme culture had largely died out, but clearly there are still some stubborn holdouts which need to be destroyed immediately.
Armenia: Shameless Pixar IP infringement cannot save this song from being inoffensive but forgettable.

EDIT: nuts somehow I missed/skipped a bunch the first time round

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 9, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Not only Jezebel isn't that good of a song especially from someone like Rasmus, but isn't first performer usually also a death sentence at the semifinals?

When the voting starts no-one remembers that you also were in this semi round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Norway's entry is probably aimed at small children, but at least it's not a ballad about heartbreak. There's a lot of ballads about heartbreak this year, and the Swiss one is an NFT, so even if you don't think it's kind of boring (it is), you can still be annoyed by it anyway.

The Ukrainian entry was chosen before the invasion, and I think it was popular anyway. Ukraine often does well at Eurovision, being the only country never to either be kicked out at semi-final or come last in the final. But I imagine it might be a closer contest than people suppose - I expect Kalush Orchestra is more likely to come first with the public than with the juries, and then I imagine there are some people (who you may well call fools, but the foolish vote counts as well as anyone else's) who are annoyed at the assumption that Ukraine is going to walk it and so will avoid voting for them out of spite. Also not voting out of spite might be the Alina Pash fans. But I have absolutely no clairvoyant powers whatsoever, so you would probably not be unreasonable to ignore me entirely.

I predict that my country will get some points this year, which would definitely be a step up :britain: