Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The banana song felt like it was reaching for what does the fox say memes. Moldova was the true fun entry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Moldova getting loads of televote points was amazing ❤️💋

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gutted for the Czech Republic though :(

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKDXxNKfu9M

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

I see your

and I raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UveYEWD0XcY

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Darth TNT posted:

Lol, had my son listen to some tracks.
"Dad, I thought Germany's entry last year was more fun."
And that's the spirit of Eurovision.
His favorite this year was the Banana song.

My son listened to Portugal - "This is a boring one and the Netherlands is boring one also" which is great cause we live in The Netherlands and he can already cut through the bullshit at 3. But Moldova and Ukraine are "dancing songs" and he really like Estonian as well, but didn't know how to dance to it.

Listening to the Spotify Playlist and wow Lithuania's is so good. Estonia is also much better as a Playlist song. And Georgia is so good!!! They were 100% robbed.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Splicer posted:

Gutted for the Czech Republic though :(

Also waaaaay better as studio song.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Speaking of studio vs live. I felt like there were WAY more acts hitting flat notes, repeatedly, this year vs previous years. Is that my imagination?

Alongside all the other technical issues this time, it makes me wonder if some of the audio feedback stuff was slightly wonky.

Or everyone is just that much more stressed out from another year of pandemic plus bonus war?

(Also repeating for emphasis that yes, Georgia was robbed harder than a Russian soldier steals Ukrainian laundry appliances.)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Lol, had my son listen to some tracks.
"Dad, I thought Germany's entry last year was more fun."
And that's the spirit of Eurovision.
His favorite this year was the Banana song.

it was blatantly apparent during our national competition that a) everyone that wanted a spot for norway was unimaginably terrible and b) that those lame-assed wolves would win a spot in the international rounds solely because of the immediate appeal amongst preteens

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bitprophet posted:

Speaking of studio vs live. I felt like there were WAY more acts hitting flat notes, repeatedly, this year vs previous years. Is that my imagination?

I dunno, plenty of acts managed to sing in tune at the finals and the semis for nearly everyone sounded fine. I think they just fluffed the notes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bitprophet posted:

I once had to listen to the show on headphones and it became very apparent that so many artists struggle to sing in tune. So definitely not a new thing. (There was a year where technical problems added even more to this, given us the infamous Gemini performance for the UK which was a painful thing).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you rely on hearing yourself to keep in tune it's probably a rough day out.

None of them were as out of tune as Madonna.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

goatface posted:

None of them were as out of tune as Madonna.

I missed her performance for a few years until I eventually went back to watch the contest as a whole. I thought there was no way it could be as bad as people said yet somehow it was actually worse. Did it ever come out as to *how* someone with as much experience as her put on possibly the worst show of her life?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did it ever come out as to *how* someone with as much experience as her put on possibly the worst show of her life?

5D chess protest against Israel

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

EL BROMANCE posted:

So definitely not a new thing.
Yea, to be clear I don't mean it's a new thing, I just feel like I only notice, idk. 1-2 obviously flat artists the usual year, and must've been like 6-10 this time (this includes those that didn't make it to the finals tho). So when I also noticed all the camera/stage/etc problems I started wondering.

Unrelated: anyone else have a revolving door of earworms the week after? Yesterday was Finland all day (I don't even really like the song much, and yet) and today it's Estonia and Serbia. CD can't get here fast enough...

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I missed her performance for a few years until I eventually went back to watch the contest as a whole. I thought there was no way it could be as bad as people said yet somehow it was actually worse. Did it ever come out as to *how* someone with as much experience as her put on possibly the worst show of her life?

IIRC some Israeli businessman paid her big bucks to perform from his own pocket so I don't think she wanted to be there because she loves Eurovision. In the little chat they did with her before she went on she seemed super, super disinterested in Eurovision and, as an American, I'd wager that she doesn't know much about it or hasn't got much of an affection for it. I think she was there for a payday and didn't give a poo poo.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ulvir posted:

it was blatantly apparent during our national competition that a) everyone that wanted a spot for norway was unimaginably terrible and b) that those lame-assed wolves would win a spot in the international rounds solely because of the immediate appeal amongst preteens

In their favor, I think that was the only song I could still remember but the time we got to the end of the national finals - this was not a very exciting year.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

So it wasn't just the semis that there was suspected vote-swapping in - the three "lost connections" at the finale weren't Russian hax0rs, it was cutting off the national representative from giving the results. The whole thing is quite confusing, but judging from the votes swapped it has nothing to do with a political Ukrainian thing, but possibly with Romanians being sick of not making the finale? IDK, it's confusing and the EBU is being very secretive about it, at least for now.

https://wiwibloggs.com/2022/05/15/flemish-broadcaster-vrt-claims-six-national-juries-wanted-partner-up-irregular-voting-patterns/272498/

Just more evidence as to why we need to get rid of the juries cause not only do they suck, they cheat as well?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I will bet any money it was Azerbaijan bribing those other five juries

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bitprophet posted:

Alongside all the other technical issues this time, it makes me wonder if some of the audio feedback stuff was slightly wonky.

Or everyone is just that much more stressed out from another year of pandemic plus bonus war?

(Also repeating for emphasis that yes, Georgia was robbed harder than a Russian soldier steals Ukrainian laundry appliances.)
Probably imagination but I also noticed a rate of bad singers closer to the 2000s. Lot of comments between my wife and I that "wow that act would have been great if they could sing."

I don't know that there needs to be some big A/V failure. Its Eurovision, these are regional acts. Sometimes they can't sing and other times they can't sing under pressure.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I will bet any money it was Azerbaijan bribing those other five juries

Oh sibyl, what are you going to reveal next? That water is wet?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I say get rid of the jury vote not because of apparent cheating but because it's so out of touch with the popular vote. The jury doesn't get what makes Eurovision great but the public does.

This is what it would have been without the jury vote:

Ukraine 439 (192 Jury votes)
Moldova 239 (14 Jury votes)
Spain 228 (231 Jury votes)
Serbia 225 (87 Jury votes)
United Kingdom 183 (283 Jury votes)
Sweden 180 (258 Jury votes)
Norway 146 (36 Jury votes)
Italy 110 (158 Jury votes)
Poland 105 (46 Jury votes)
Estonia 98 (43 Jury votes)
Lithuania 93 (35 Jury votes)
Greece 57 (158 Jury votes)
Romania 53 (12 Jury votes)
Netherlands 42 (129 Jury votes)
Portugal 36 (171 Jury votes)
Finland 26 (12 Jury votes)
Armenia 21 (40 Jury votes)
Iceland 10 (10 Jury votes)
France 8 (9 Jury votes)
Germany 6 (0 Jury votes)
Belgium 5 (59 Jury votes)
Czech Republic 5 (33 Jury votes)
Azerbaijan 3 (103 Jury votes)
Australia 2 (123 Jury votes)
Switzerland 0 (78 Jury votes)

Bolding is done to emphasize large differences. Most of these top acts on this list are the wild and weird acts that Eurovision is famous for. gently caress the jury vote, the popular vote is what matters.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 16, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Swap Spain and Lithuania on that list and it's pretty alright

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So p much everything.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Cowman posted:

I say get rid of the jury vote not because of apparent cheating but because it's so out of touch with the popular vote. The jury doesn't get what makes Eurovision great but the public does.

This is what it would have been without the jury vote:

Ukraine 439 (192 Jury votes)
Spain 228 (231 Jury votes)
Serbia 225 (87 Jury votes)
United Kingdom 183 (283 Jury votes)
Sweden 180 (258 Jury votes)
Norway 146 (36 Jury votes)
Italy 110 (158 Jury votes)
Poland 105 (46 Jury votes)
Estonia 98 (43 Jury votes)
Lithuania 93 (35 Jury votes)
Greece 57 (158 Jury votes)
Romania 53 (12 Jury votes)
Netherlands 42 (129 Jury votes)
Portugal 36 (171 Jury votes)
Finland 26 (12 Jury votes)
Armenia 21 (40 Jury votes)
Iceland 10 (10 Jury votes)
France 8 (9 Jury votes)
Germany 6 (0 Jury votes)
Belgium 5 (59 Jury votes)
Czech Republic 5 (33 Jury votes)

Bolding is done to emphasize large differences. Most of these top acts on this list are the wild and weird acts that Eurovision is famous for. gently caress the jury vote, the popular vote is what matters.

Much like the real world, the dipshit oligarchs that rule over us are not only stupid and out of touch, they've also got awful taste.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Most egregious is the 78 jury votes awarded to Switzerland

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fwiw I don't think this is a good year to run a comparison between public and jury votes. In nearly all countries the public's 12 points went to Ukraine, and on a normal year this would not have happened. You can't expect the juries to give points out of sympathy, though - unless you can pay for their sympathy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Isn't it all rooted in some sort of sixties (maybe victorian actually) idea of educating the fickle public, a battle of low vs high culture and suckass poo poo like that? I think they'd argue that the jury voting differently is the point.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hold two eurovisions, the jury vote one and the public vote one. The public vote one happens in may and the jury vote one happens who cares nobody will watch it anyway.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nenonen posted:

fwiw I don't think this is a good year to run a comparison between public and jury votes. In nearly all countries the public's 12 points went to Ukraine, and on a normal year this would not have happened. You can't expect the juries to give points out of sympathy, though - unless you can pay for their sympathy.

quote:

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The public also had no love for awesome songs like the Czech and French ones, what I'm saying is let the goons with their impeccable taste decide.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Keep the jury vote but have the juries comprised of Goons

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Grillfiend posted:

:hmmyes:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A national jury should be composed of every one of their living previous entrants.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

ilmucche posted:

The banana song felt like it was reaching for what does the fox say memes. Moldova was the true fun entry

As an east european I will say that Sdob zi sdub was kinda glorious about 20 years ago with Hardcore Moldavinesc and such, but now its juzt sad, I think they've been to Eurovision like 3-4 times by now

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, Moldova was kinda obvious and nothing interesting. Maybe it was a fresh breath if you are new to Eurovision :smugjones:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, Moldova was kinda obvious and nothing interesting. Maybe it was a fresh breath if you are new to Eurovision :smugjones:

:dafuq:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Grillfiend posted:

edit:

Nenonen posted:

ok not all goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Douze points pour le Royaume-Uni!!!!!!!

*entire UK delegation stares blankly*

also lol it happened twice