Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Quaritch coming back as a na’vi avatar is loving hilarious.

And stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The problem with both meme and counter-meme is that they're hopelessly nonspecific. People do remember aspects of Avatar, but absolutely forget others.

Like, everyone remembers that the blue cat movie had great cinematography and made a trillion dollars, but absolutely nobody gives the slightest poo poo about the themes, concepts, etc.. The basic sci-fi premise in the title is a dud. As far as audiences are concerned, the alien brain-tree is, like, a magic tree that represents nature. Dead on arrival.

As a contrast, how many movies have you seen with a Chappie in them? Chappie films are a full-on subgenre now!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The problem with both meme and counter-meme is that they're hopelessly nonspecific. People do remember aspects of Avatar, but absolutely forget others.

Like, everyone remembers that the blue cat movie had great cinematography and made a trillion dollars, but absolutely nobody gives the slightest poo poo about the themes, concepts, etc.. The basic sci-fi premise in the title is a dud. As far as audiences are concerned, the alien brain-tree is, like, a magic tree that represents nature. Dead on arrival.

As a contrast, how many movies have you seen with a Chappie in them? Chappie films are a full-on subgenre now!

I would guess the imagery of US Marines getting murdered by natives had pretty wide international resonance. That's speculation on my part though.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

I would guess the imagery of US Marines getting murdered by natives had pretty wide international resonance. That's speculation on my part though.

While the animated action is 'perfectly solid', the baddies in Avatar 1 are just mercenaries (which is like easy mode for villains).

When you get more specific than that, the mech suit design certainly didn't catch on, and ultimately seems derivative of Matrix 3(!).

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Nah, Cameron basically invented (or at least crystalized) the "default realistic mil-sci-fi future" aesthetic way back in Aliens. The Avatar mech is a pretty clear evolution of the Aliens power loader, which he helped design.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Nah, Cameron basically invented (or at least crystalized) the "default realistic mil-sci-fi future" aesthetic way back in Aliens. The Avatar mech is a pretty clear evolution of the Aliens power loader, which he helped design.

The two designs have nothing in common besides the base concept of 'limbs', and Cameron's "realistic mil-sci-fi" has collapsed into Star Citizen decadence in the decades since the fuckin Reagan administration.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

Tell that guy he sucks for not remembering Rick O’ Connell.

They say his name a billion times during it. I just watched it today.

I only remembered the name once I remembered Benny first, lmao. Because I recalled the scene with the river/horses and Benny shouting his name. Context helps! Haha.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Benny is so good lmao. Kevin J O’Connor is underrated.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'll reserve final judgement for when I see the movie, but my initial thought is that this movie should've been named Avatar 2: Seavatar.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Nautical sci-fi is cool poo poo so I think in some ways I'm more interested in this than I was the first Avatar movie.

I hope a cinema near me re-screens the first film at some point in the lead up to the release of the sequel; I only ever saw it in a cinema as trying to watch it on my crappy home TV seemed completely pointless to me.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i thought this film was gonna flop before i saw the tweets of audiences cheering for the trailer

so now it's going to make three billion dollars. always bet on jim.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Title font is no longer Papyrus. Therefore, movie will flop.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gatts posted:

Zack Snyder's Avatar 4

Who am I kidding, it'd probably be JJ Abrams

He’d just immediately blow up the planet. It’s his one weird trick.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The real legacy of Avatar was the extremely annoying 3D movie boom of the 2010s, so while I don't think it will flop, one can only hope it does.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

massive spider posted:

Title font is no longer Papyrus. Therefore, movie will flop.

At least we still have our Shakira merch and off brand teas.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The real legacy of Avatar was the extremely annoying 3D movie boom of the 2010s, so while I don't think it will flop, one can only hope it does.

Its greatest sin was making Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland the biggest hit of his career because it was the next big 3d movie.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, the movie will flop...

...belly flop that is!!!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

teagone posted:

Yeah, it's IMAX proper open matte :stare:

It's loving beautiful.

Direct link https://thedigitaltheater.wetransfer.com/downloads/26805e0c01269fa0875b532de4528de220220506105039/e2fcbf

1.1GB download

Ugh, gross compression.

This is the worse thing about internet trailers, I don't work in film anymore but you spend all this time getting the color and everything dialed in, and then it gets into the hands of the internet and it gets recompressed/resized and colors crushed and it looks like rear end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Big K of Justice posted:

Ugh, gross compression.

This is the worse thing about internet trailers, I don't work in film anymore but you spend all this time getting the color and everything dialed in, and then it gets into the hands of the internet and it gets recompressed/resized and colors crushed and it looks like rear end.

So what you're telling me is there's a better version out there somewhere? I want it.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Ok I need to revise the numbers on the last page lol. According to a someone in the know, total production cost of 2/3/4 as of last year was $1.2b due to Jim being Jim and covid poo poo. They think acceptable gross box office for 3 films is closer to $5b :stare:. They left the project during the merger so they don't know how comfortable Disney is with those numbers lol

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 10, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Its greatest sin was making Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland the biggest hit of his career because it was the next big 3d movie.

Ouch, that has got to suck because that movie was pure trash in every single way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Besides Alice, Avatar’s other legacy was the film adaptation of Ready Player One.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Horizon Burning posted:

always bet on jim.

This is the way.

The discourse is always the same and he always comes out on top so theres literally no reason to doubt anything would be different now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AccountSupervisor posted:

This is the way.

The discourse is always the same and he always comes out on top so theres literally no reason to doubt anything would be different now.

It’s scientifically impossible for Avatar 2 to lose money, but that was also the case with Star Wars 9 and any given Marvel movie.

All the box office in the world won’t matter if they refuse to include a big twist that “the way of water” refers to the aliens from The Abyss & they start loving up both lame factions with sapient tidal waves.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah.

I’m glad Ridley Scott ditched the 3D poo poo after Prometheus, and Prometheus is still one the of the best looking films ever on 4K HDR.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Anybody who doesn't remember Rick O'Connell is loving up their movie watching by not seeing The Mummy at least once a year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Ouch, that has got to suck because that movie was pure trash in every single way.

I saw the 3d version in theaters and because it was converted to 3D (I assume hastily as well) parts of it were blurry/out of focus lmao

Total garbage

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s scientifically impossible for Avatar 2 to lose money, but that was also the case with Star Wars 9 and any given Marvel movie.

All the box office in the world won’t matter if they refuse to include a big twist that “the way of water” refers to the aliens from The Abyss & they start loving up both lame factions with sapient tidal waves.

Did you like the first film? I forget. I only remember arguing with you about how photoreal the CG was at one point, lmao.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the first Avatar movie is one of the most boring movies I've ever sat through and I'll see if this one bores me too

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'll be honest with everyone: I've never seen Avatar.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
3d trailer out now too if you can set it up

https://twitter.com/digital_theater/status/1524117611679731712

i hear some vr apps are the easiest way to do it

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

kliras posted:

3d trailer out now too if you can set it up

https://twitter.com/digital_theater/status/1524117611679731712

i hear some vr apps are the easiest way to do it

Thank you SO much for this.

Me and my friends often do VR 3D movie nights and this will be perfect to play before hand!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

Did you like the first film?

NO.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

drat, ok. Sheesh.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

A lot of people in the comments piling on Vice for this, and while they are wrong and this does look good, what is kind of outdated (and maybe what Vice was hinting at) is the idea of a movie as a CGI effects showcase, ie the kind of thing Cameron has been doing for thirty years. It's just so ubiquitous at this point that short of total photorealism it's hard to imagine any CGI being genuinely impressive.

https://twitter.com/BrettThousand/status/1524060603018588162

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

A lot of people in the comments piling on Vice for this, and while they are wrong and this does look good, what is kind of outdated (and maybe what Vice was hinting at) is the idea of a movie as a CGI effects showcase, ie the kind of thing Cameron has been doing for thirty years. It's just so ubiquitous at this point that short of total photorealism it's hard to imagine any CGI being genuinely impressive.

https://twitter.com/BrettThousand/status/1524060603018588162

I'm pretty sure the draw is gonna be the 3D experience for TWoW, just like it was for the first film. The photoreal CG aesthetic takes a backseat to that, imo, it did even back in 2009 when films like District 9 were doing great CG effects on a budget. The vice article is dumb with its super forced political analogues and reeks of gatekeeping from someone who probably didn't enjoy the first film. Lol journalism at its best.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 10, 2022

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

teagone posted:

reeks of gatekeeping

What do you mean by this? Like, who is being kept out of what community or whatever by Gita Jackson

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing is the whole Avatar aesthetic inherently looks like graphics card box art which makes it hard to judge how “good” the cgi looks.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Gita isnt wrong about the appetite for Avatar in her specific online bubble, but it's a bit silly to apply that to international theater goers at large lol. Also, Jim Cameron solved water, doesn't that mean anything too you???!

Also Avatar is back on top of the box office gross leaderboard thanks to the 2021 re-release in China :china:

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

smug n stuff posted:

What do you mean by this?

The article makes the point of "who asked for this?" wrt the Avatar sequels after making some hamfisted political commentary. And negatively-charged anecdotes are used to suggest any knowledgeable person should feel these are probably bad movies even before they're released. Let people like and enjoy things imo. [edit] Also passive-aggressively assigning moral culpability to consumer entertainment is lame, especially for something with such milquetoast messaging as Avatar.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 11, 2022