Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Pretty sure that character is a reincarnation of Grace, or perhaps... an avatar... of Eywa templated off Grace. Either way, I think they had to get Sigourney Weaver specifically because the character is intentionally supposed to have the same face and voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

They digitally changed her voice to make her sound way younger. Plus you know she's an animated cat alien. It's not like Kiri is some spitting image of her mother.

She's a great actress and most of the younger actors were bland as heck in the movie so maybe they couldn't find anyone good. Still, it felt like a strange choice especially when they gave her a budding romance with an actor literally 55 years her junior.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Your criticism seems to come down to "a 70 year old actress plays a teen cat lady who is attracted to a fellow teen" which seems to entirely misunderstand what acting is.

You can keep repeating how "weird" and "horny" it is over and over but 70 year old women are human beings that have a well of sexuality they can draw on, and it's entirely possible for Weaver - a veteran actor - to use that to pretend to be attracted to another actor many years her junior. So you don't approve of that choice. Who cares? You're nobody.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kiri is also very explicitly coded as neurodivergent, so it's possible that someone projecting a budding teen romance onto her character could instead just be the character having awkward social interactions. The film never really shows Kiri having any sort of romantic interest in Spider either; imo she sees him as a sibling/family more than anything else. The same could also be said for Spider, but who knows how their character dynamics will evolve in the next films considering Cameron confirmed there will be more time jumps.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 14, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
This is why Cameron's performance capture rigs are awesome and I want more people doing this kind of stuff, so actors can play virtually anything we can imagine but still have their performance integrated into the design and animation of the character.

Idk why but I like watching Benedict Cumberbatch flail around letting his inner dragon come out. I want more of this kind of poo poo, so I'm all for using these rigs to let actors play characters outside of the body Hollywood obsesses over, I imagine it must be refreshing not to be commented on actually.

https://youtu.be/sXN9IHrnVVU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tenkaris posted:

This is why Cameron's performance capture rigs are awesome and I want more people doing this kind of stuff, so actors can play virtually anything we can imagine but still have their performance integrated into the design and animation of the character.

Idk why but I like watching Benedict Cumberbatch flail around letting his inner dragon come out. I want more of this kind of poo poo, so I'm all for using these rigs to let actors play characters outside of the body Hollywood obsesses over, I imagine it must be refreshing not to be commented on actually.

I'm no fan of the hobbit movies or benedict in general, but he is a madman for that performance and i have to respect it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tenkaris posted:

Watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters strap three men together to play Ghidorah was also great fun.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ThinkTank posted:

It was also an unbearably horny movie and Sigourney Weaver eye loving a teenager young enough to be her grandson even if she was playing a teenaged alien made me very uncomfortable.

gonna chime in with this is a yp.

glad you liked the movie tho.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I liked the movie, did exactly what I expected and didn't feel long, even though it was. The only weird thing (i'm sure there are more), is that at the end Jakesully and family are assaulting the big boat with all the water people, and suddenly it's night time and all the other natives completely disappeared, leaving just the Sully family. Even a line of dialogue like 'we must go and protect our shores from other potential attackers' would have made sense, but nope, everyone just straight up disappeared.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

henpod posted:

I liked the movie, did exactly what I expected and didn't feel long, even though it was. The only weird thing (i'm sure there are more), is that at the end Jakesully and family are assaulting the big boat with all the water people, and suddenly it's night time and all the other natives completely disappeared, leaving just the Sully family. Even a line of dialogue like 'we must go and protect our shores from other potential attackers' would have made sense, but nope, everyone just straight up disappeared.

i'm a huge fan of the movie and i agree you can drive a truck through this one. from an admittedly biased point of view, the story i've heard and cling to is cameron didn't want any more killing than was absolutely necessary to drive the plot and cut a lot of poo poo out to that end. dunno if it's true, don't really care, but that's an explanation if you care to take it.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Avatar Deco-truck ("Dekotora") spotted in the Philippines:
https://twitter.com/VR_Trucker23/status/1691013195027357696

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

TSG Entertainment, which co-financed Avatar 2 and other 20th Century Fox movies, is suing Disney for self-dealing and stiffing TSG out of box office earnings and other income by, among other things, putting the movies on streaming for less than it's worth:
‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ financier accuses Disney of self-dealing in new lawsuit

quote:

The financier had a revenue participation agreement with 20th Century, the lawsuit says, laying out how TSG would get a portion of certain films’ revenue in exchange for co-financing production and marketing-related expenditures.

But after TSG noticed a declining return on its investments, the firm hired an independent auditor to look into how 20th Century was calculating its share, the suit says — and “what the auditors found in sampling just three of the 140+ films at issue was clear evidence of Hollywood Accounting.”

In total, the audit reportedly suggested that 20th Century underpaid TSG “by at least $40 million.”

I guess we can expect this to be settled before it goes to court, but it seems like the 20th Century Fox deal, and how Disney dealt with it, is getting worse all the time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Funny how this is all coming to a head during the strikes. I guess since they have nothing new to push in the media, it's the perfect time to boost the fuckery from Disney and the other corpos

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I wonder how much if anything Landau and Cameron have heard about this before it became an official lawsuit. The "Movies Anywhere" issue was already a thing, but it seems things got much worse during the merger process in 2018 and 2019.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

ThinkTank posted:

Was there a good reason Sigourney Weaver had to play her own daughter? It was an incredibly strange casting choice. She's 73 playing a 14 year old.

I think the casting choice suits a scifi movie about rebirth being real -- one recurring problematic of isekai stories is whether a reborn protagonist, who has a continuity of memory longer than their peers, has any business dating people who only match their new body's age. It's the question of which takes priority as the social reality -- something the stories I've seen tend to square by noting that the new body influences the mind in turn, and that the adult is forced by their body to become a child again whether they like it or not... Anyway that's not literally what's going on with Kiri, since she's cut off from Grace's memories (for now), but at minimum the meta-invocation of this sort of issue doesn't seem out of place to me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i came across this on twitter today and really enjoyed it, thought some of you might as well:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/10/26/man-of-extremes-james-cameron-profile-avatar

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Stringent posted:

i came across this on twitter today and really enjoyed it, thought some of you might as well:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/10/26/man-of-extremes-james-cameron-profile-avatar

quote:

"After he finished making “True Lies,” Cameron called Kubrick, by then a recluse, and invited himself over. They spent a day, in the basement of Kubrick’s house in the English countryside, watching “True Lies” at Kubrick’s flatbed editing station.

oh man to be a fly on the wall

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

quote:

The movie came out just before Christmas. Kenneth Turan, the film critic for the L.A. Times, gave “Titanic” a scathing review. “Just as the hubris of headstrong shipbuilders who insisted that the Titanic was unsinkable led to an unparalleled maritime disaster, so Cameron’s overweening pride has come unnecessarily close to capsizing this project,” he wrote, calling it “a hackneyed, completely derivative copy of old Hollywood romances.” Turan, who continued to write critically of the film even as it became a box-office phenomenon, was besieged with hate mail. One correspondent, a teen-age girl, sent him a letter to which she’d stapled her multiple “Titanic” ticket stubs. In March, Cameron delivered his own rebuttal, which was published in the arts section of the L.A. Times. It was incisive, and maybe more revealing than he knew. “Poor Kenny. He sees himself as the lone voice crying in the wilderness, righteous but not heeded by the blind and dumb ‘great unwashed’ around him. It must be a great burden to be cursed with such clear vision when your misguided flock bray past you, like lemmings, unmindful.” Even now, Cameron resents the media’s treatment of the film. “We were branded as the biggest idiots in movie history,” he told me. “They were just sharpening their knives so they could really take the film apart. Then they couldn’t. So, gently caress them. gently caress ’em all.”

loving king

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Stringent posted:

loving king

I looked up Cameron's full response and it owns:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-mar-28-ca-33428-story.html

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

oh god this owns.

quote:

Turan has forgotten, if he ever knew, the role of senior film critic for a large urban newspaper. When people spend their hard-earned money on a movie at the end of a long work week, all they ask is that their local critic steer them toward the good ones and help them avoid the turkeys. It’s not too much to ask. And it’s a fairly simple job, once you grasp it. You get to go to a movie first, before anyone else, and then come back and tell everybody about it. You even get to trash it if you didn’t like it. What you don’t get to do is grind on and on, month after month, after the audience has rendered its verdict in the most resounding of terms, telling everybody why the filmgoers are wrong and you are right.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 1, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The man called out Youtube Film Crit over a decade before it became a thing. Just nutso.

quote:

Turan sees himself as the high priest of some arcane art form that is far too refined for the average individual to possibly appreciate. He writes as if the insensitive masses must be constantly corrected, like little children who do not have the sense or experience to know what is good for them without the critic’s patient instruction. This is paternalism and elitism in its worst form, and utterly insults the movie audience, which is theoretically his constituency.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

They digitally changed her voice to make her sound way younger. Plus you know she's an animated cat alien. It's not like Kiri is some spitting image of her mother.

She's a great actress and most of the younger actors were bland as heck in the movie so maybe they couldn't find anyone good. Still, it felt like a strange choice especially when they gave her a budding romance with an actor literally 55 years her junior.

She loving killed that poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was so creepy and off putting for me

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The man called out Youtube Film Crit over a decade before it became a thing. Just nutso.

Dang I need more Cameron wrecking critics.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was a guy on the IMDB forums back when they existed who loving hated Cameron. He called himself 'JAMES CAMEROON THE MORON' and, starting in at least 2005, created hundreds of threads everywhere remotely relevant about how terrible James Cameron was and how awful Avatar definitely would be and how much better Peter Jackson was. He did not stop once Avatar was released and became an enormous hit. In fact, he intensified his efforts. By the time the message boards closed, he had, thankfully, moved on. Instead, he now created hundreds of threads arguing about whether Elsa from Frozen or the bad guy from Big Hero 6 would win in a fight. I only really remember it since a) it's still one of the most pathological routines I've seen online, especially given how mundane the topic was and b) reminds me of how unhinged haters become if they never get validated. You can see it in sports as well. The people who hate fighters who, at one point looked invincible but ended up losing a lot? They turn out okay. They were proven right. Michael Bisping or Conor McGregor lost and so turned out to be always bad. But the guys who hate George St Pierre, who retired with no unavenged losses with a belt a weight class up? They're frothing at the mouth mad because they never got the release of seeing him decisively beaten. By the same token, if you hate, say, Spielberg, he's had his flops and his misfires. Ridley Scott's had his. Cameron just keeps on winning and it drives people who hate him completely mad.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think the only way Avatar actually faltered is the toy sales. Because my local Toysrus had Avatar 2 McFarlane figures on sale for months before just straight up selling them for 70% off because Christmas is less than 2 months away. I bought the crab mech (big version), my favourite new design from the movie, for like $20. I fully expect the Avatar section to be replaced by Five Nights at Freddy's by next week.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Buddy avatar poo poo has been long gone for months

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I think the only way Avatar actually faltered is the toy sales. Because my local Toysrus had Avatar 2 McFarlane figures on sale for months before just straight up selling them for 70% off because Christmas is less than 2 months away. I bought the crab mech (big version), my favourite new design from the movie, for like $20. I fully expect the Avatar section to be replaced by Five Nights at Freddy's by next week.

didn’t toys r us go out of business lol

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Not in my part of the world. Although they're still losing to online stores that are much more affordable and convenient.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They came back in some areas I think? Mine all turned into gyms or spirit halloweens

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Macy's has Toys r Us sections.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Snowman_McK posted:

By the same token, if you hate, say, Spielberg, he's had his flops and his misfires. Ridley Scott's had his. Cameron just keeps on winning and it drives people who hate him completely mad.

I dunno, depending on how you define a flop or a misfire, Cameron has had a few recently. Terminator: Dark Fate and Alita: Battle Angel weren't directed by him, but he was VERY involved in both of them, and I wouldn't call either "hits" in comparison to movies like True Lies

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Aces High posted:

I dunno, depending on how you define a flop or a misfire, Cameron has had a few recently. Terminator: Dark Fate and Alita: Battle Angel weren't directed by him, but he was VERY involved in both of them, and I wouldn't call either "hits" in comparison to movies like True Lies

turns out directing a movie is much more different than just being very involved with the movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Aces High posted:

Well, the people who hate him don't regard that as something they can hold against him so it doesn't really break the pattern i'm talking about.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

IIRC both of them were decently reviewed, its just that bug eyed anime girls are creepy in live action (Alita) and nobody really checked out the 4th Terminator 3 movie.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Feldegast42 posted:

and nobody really checked out the 4th Terminator 3 movie.

Theoretically a new Terminator film should be right in my wheelhouse or whatever but I still haven't watched this one. I even like the twangy/growly Terminator theme mix Junkie XL did.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Theoretically a new Terminator film should be right in my wheelhouse or whatever but I still haven't watched this one. I even like the twangy/growly Terminator theme mix Junkie XL did.

Yes the Spanish guitar terminator theme is :krad:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dark Fate is the best terminator movie since 2, which isn't saying terribly much but there you go. I've seen it 2 or 3 times, while having no real desire to revisit Terminator: Killer App or Grimdark Future.

Cameron isn't afraid to endorse terminator sequels that he doesn't really believe 100% in, I think he's done that for every terminator movie since 3 after telling Arnie not to turn down good money for it, even knowing it wouldn't be great.

I think on Dark Fate in particular Cameron had a level of Final Say, certain scenes were added or removed on his say-so, especially around the middle of the film. This would involve scenes of the Rev-9 visiting datacenters personally to infiltrate the Internet, because it's creepy and filmic, even though everyone knows that even human hackers don't need to show up at the datacenter. The scenes where they cross the Mexican border were also chopped to hell.

I think what bothers a lot of capital-c Critics is that Cameron is not shy about recognizing that movie-making is a business, whether the self-styled intelligentsia likes it or not.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Most importantly: Mackenzie Davis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Dark Fate probably would have been really well received if the previous three Terminator movies hadn't completely burned through all good will and prestige the series once had. It's a perfectly good retread of the formula, but after two other less good retreads and the abysmal Salvation, it's hard to give a poo poo that they finally did it competently. (T3's ending is good, but that's it)