Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

definetly the falador massacre in RuneScape, where some guy glitched out of the newly-added boxing arenas in player houses to his respawn location in falador, where he quickly found out he still had the PvP flag on but nobody could attack him back because it wasn't a pvp zone. back in these days you mostly traded by standing around in banks yelling about what you had for sale so a bunch of people got owned and lost all their stuff since RuneScape was more or less full loot. and him and his buddies all got banned and nobody got a server rollback or anything lol.

this. which happened to be on 6/6/06 and i was there that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Fungah! posted:

my buddies played that real small mmo vanguard for the like three months that there were people playing it (i couldnt because i didnt have a decent computer until college and my home pc absolutely couldnt run it, part of the reason it didnt catch on was because it had real high specs for an mmo but i was at one guy's house hangin out when this happened). it had a bunch of cool stuff, like you could level up your diplomacy instead of being a combat job by playin a fun little card game or if you got super into crafting at endgame you could build stuff like player boats kind of like ultima online. about half of my buddies playing it were super hardcore psycho crafters and we were all high school kids over the summer so basically they spent a week straight levellin crafting jobs and became the first people on their server that made a boat, and half an hour in they decided to see how far they could take their boat up a river. problem was, the devs didnt code in collision detection most of the way up the river and they managed to get past the only impassable wall by accidentally glitching through, so they were bringin their boat up river towards one of the main hubs when they hit a waterfall and went fuckin sailing off it, landing on an island in the middle of this super highly populated zone and gettin permanently stuck. like half the playerbase saw it happen and they got hundreds of messages asking what the gently caress happened, they got messages from gms saying HOLY poo poo THAT WAS loving AWESOME, and a bunch of people who didnt see who was on the boat started posting on the forums about this crazy server event that no one had seen before. before long everyone who played the game heard about the boat that went sailing off a waterfall into town. one guy used the same name for every mmo he played for like five years he got messages from random people in games asking if he was one of the boat guys

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Bicyclops posted:

posting to remind myself to find the german dance troupe from uru: ages of myst

yeah that game was loving sick. some epic theatre group that were also archeologists or sometihng in game would meet and have symposiums on a regular basis.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
eve online is dumb as gently caress and completely unplayable but it makes people do insane poo poo like trying to cut the power to a players house or doing elaborate catfishing scams involving fake phone numbers and addresses to steal in-game currency lol it owns

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 10, 2022

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GameCube posted:

please don't troll The Myst Online Community. just observe them from a respectful distance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo6LB8lNYLo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Rainz, the guy who killed Richard Garriott in ultima online didn't plan or prepare for it; he just noticed that lord british didn't have the usual invulnerability tag and started pick pocketing people next to him in the crowd until he found someone with a firewall scroll.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Rainz, the guy who killed Richard Garriott in ultima online didn't plan or prepare for it; he just noticed that lord british didn't have the usual invulnerability tag and started pick pocketing people next to him in the crowd until he found someone with a firewall scroll.

that kicks rear end lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

This is exactly how the JFK assassination happened

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
ultima online kicked rear end

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh my god that dance video

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

second vanguard story, pvp was super half baked because they didnt tune any of the actions for anything other than pvp so either fights ended instantly or if the players were good enough they could go on forever. so anyway two of my buddies were bored and they decided to duel and apparently they were both good enough because they fought for literally four hours. they were constantly moving too, they ended up going through every town and like half the non instanced dungeons, by th time they were done they had a huge crowd following and watching them. only reason the fight ended was because they had an intermediary (my buddy with a car) drive from one house to another negotiating a ceasefire and they finally both gave up at the same time so we could go get some chinese food

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

second vanguard story, pvp was super half baked because they didnt tune any of the actions for anything other than pvp so either fights ended instantly or if the players were good enough they could go on forever. so anyway two of my buddies were bored and they decided to duel and apparently they were both good enough because they fought for literally four hours. they were constantly moving too, they ended up going through every town and like half the non instanced dungeons, by th time they were done they had a huge crowd following and watching them. only reason the fight ended was because they had an intermediary (my buddy with a car) drive from one house to another negotiating a ceasefire and they finally both gave up at the same time so we could go get some chinese food

Lmao that's awesome

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
ultima online had a really stupid exploit where you could gain skills quicker on specific tiles out in the ocean so players would make a macro for a skill and to give the boat directions and then afk out in the ocean while the boat drifted around aimlessly. this was the only way to level some skills in a reasonable time frame because of how slow skill gains were normally. felluca the pvp zone had quicker skill gains and a power hour where you gained skills faster for the first hour you were logged on. this led to players becoming pirates out in the oceans sailing around and killing afk players and looting any valuables on the ship as the afk player continued spamming ship directions as a ghost but ghosts couldn't communicate to living players so there were ghost ships out in the ocean with lone ghosts going OoooOOooOO over and over lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My favorite ultima online story is that someone robbed someone and then lied about it to Lord British himself and didn’t get banned because that’s what a thief character ought to do.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Killing Lord British is loving epic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Killing Lord British is loving epic.

Absolutely

Edit: nvm misread

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No Mountbatten the lake is a PVP zone!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

Absolutely

Lmao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Absolutely

lol

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Absolutely

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Absolutely

EmmyOk posted:

No Mountbatten the lake is a PVP zone!

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Absolutely

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Absolutely

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Absolutely

lol

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

There was a chinese mmo that i remember reading about on the forums where you could get so drunk you projectile vomited, and if you hit someone with it and they hadn’t leveled alcohol tolerance, they’d get drunk and start vomiting all over the place. And you could light them on fire once they were covered in wine vomit

I think there was also a mechanic where if you broke enough laws you could get put in jail for like a day irl and even get publicly beheaded in the town square lol

There might have even been a castration special move that one of the classes could do?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That also is a dwarf fortress story.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
I would sell stuff expensive stuff in the trade chat in wow and instead of trading the person I said I would mail them the item with a cash on delivery so they had to pay me before they could retrieve the item from the mailbox. Instead of sending the item I would buy a pickaxe for like 1 silver and use gift wrapping on it which hides what the actual item was until they had it in their inventory and right clicked on it to unwrap it. People assumed they were unwrapping the item they paid for but got a useless pickaxe instead and i made a decent amount of gold before people caught on

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quarterroys posted:

There was a chinese mmo that i remember reading about on the forums where you could get so drunk you projectile vomited, and if you hit someone with it and they hadn’t leveled alcohol tolerance, they’d get drunk and start vomiting all over the place. And you could light them on fire once they were covered in wine vomit

I think there was also a mechanic where if you broke enough laws you could get put in jail for like a day irl and even get publicly beheaded in the town square lol

There might have even been a castration special move that one of the classes could do?

age of wushu pwned

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Absolutely

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i was curious and logged into the official ultima online servers for the first time in years because its free to play now and everything costs millions of gold because of massive inflation and there are playable races now

lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i was curious and logged into the official ultima online servers for the first time in years because its free to play now and everything costs millions of gold because of massive inflation and there are playable races now

lmao

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lmao

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lmao

*Rolls eyes* Call me when they have exclusive colorways.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now