Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I did at summer camp once. We were all teens but there was an attached kids camp that used the same facilities but they kept the groups separated for pretty much all activities. The oldest ones were like 6th grade or something, 12-ish, and I guess one of them was a total dickhead and a bully. Instead of kicking him out they decided to put him in a tent in our section to sort of ostracize him / force him to be in a group where he wasn't the alpha.

We didn't really think we were being bullies per se, but the whole situation basically felt like the camp asked us to give this kid poo poo for acting up. So everyone was calling him 'fish' and generally just treating him like he was the new guy in a prison.

Vaguely related, since we were all bored teens with very few avenues for loving around, we did a bunch of stupid poo poo for fun. We discovered that they sold Gold Bond at the local shop and it didn't take long for guys to put it on their balls. So all the guys starting calling it 'bonding' and would challenge each other to wet their nuts and cover them in Gold Bond. I can't really give more reasoning other than teenage boys.

But we all had Gold Bond and some of the guys had mentioned 'antiquing,' featured in Jackass, where you throw a massive handful of powder at someone. So eventually someone had the bright idea to antique Fish with some Gold Bond. I thought it was hilarious so I volunteered. I don't even remember the event that much, I just walked into his tent and threw a huge pile of Gold Bond at his face. Aside from the general meanness of it, apparently some of it got in his eyes and started burning really bad.

He eventually narced on us but it took me a while to get in trouble because everyone thought I was too nice to do it out of all the unruly teenage boys there. I think I eventually confessed and just got something like a detention.

Weirdly, I think the whole thing kind of worked out for Fish though, because I remember us all being cool and friendly with him for the rest of the summer after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Pounding nerds and taking their lunch money really is very easy and profitable imo

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Actually I now remember that I kinda bullied some kids in grade school, mostly to fit in with the little assholes I used to call friends. Ended up breaking contact with them a few years later when I discovered I was gay lol

Caesar Saladin posted:

Pounding nerds and taking their lunch money really is very easy and profitable imo

Prostitution does have a lot of benefits, yes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I bullied God so he sent me to live life on earth

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

As a child I was insecure and desperate for attention, and I used to make jokes in class a lot. Sometimes those jokes came at expense of other people, sometimes in public settings like school assemblies. I never said anything with any malice, but in retrospect it fits the definition of bullying.

I stopped in Junior year of high school when I found out that a developmentally disabled kid I used to make jokes about had killed himself in 9th grade—instead of dying accidentally, which was the official published narrative.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I never bullied anyone, and I usually tried to make friends with the kids that were bullied. Personally, I wasn't necessarily BULLIED, but there were a few occasions in which other kids were exceptionally mean to me for no real reason and I don't know if that counts.

That said, when I was in 3rd and 4th grade, I went to a mostly white school and the other kids called me Medusa because of my braids. I'm not sure if that counts either.

PokeJoe posted:

years later I found out that the bully was crushed to death working on a car that wasn't jacked up securely

i told my friend who started the note the news and he just said "good"

:owned:

Speaking of bad outcomes for bullies, I found out a while ago that a guy who bullied one of my friends in middle school went to juvie (after middle school) for manslaughter after he & his friends beat a guy to death with a baseball bat.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Not in school, but during my circa 2002 troll heyday I was involved in some online shittiness that targeted people who were subjected to some pretty classic cyberbullying by friends of mine. In retrospect, not my proudest moment.

Stex T posted:

There has to be a latent massive sex abuse scandal coming up in American public schooling, right? Given background rates of child sexual abuse, and America's less than sterling reputation regarding the governance of education, there's no way there aren't dozens of serial pedophiles being protected by schools.

In my pretty typical suburban high school, there was at least one teacher who was amazingly inappropriate with various football players (including pausing in the middle of a lecture to chuck him under the chin and wink at him.), and a few other teachers/coaches who were always surrounded by a suspicious number boys/girls. Plus my sister's 6th grade teacher got arrested for bringing his students home to gently caress his wife.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Teacher friend confirms 95% of the kids cannot disconnect from their various social medias. Ever. It's sort of an extension of their life and they can't wrap their heads around not taking that stuff seriously. Everything is the most important thing, I guess because it's the first time you are learning about it, and also, mush brains.

The idea of not having it at all is like asking them if they want to be locked up in solitary.

They are generally nicer to each other than we were but man, when some want to be lovely, and some always will, because duh, the target cannot help themselves from reading/watching whatever it is from someone trying to hurt them.

And the end of the school day is no escape. It's really lovely. I don't have any recommendations here, just thoughts.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Bullying was always here. Before man was, bullying waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Butcher posted:

Teacher friend confirms 95% of the kids cannot disconnect from their various social medias. Ever. It's sort of an extension of their life and they can't wrap their heads around not taking that stuff seriously. Everything is the most important thing, I guess because it's the first time you are learning about it, and also, mush brains.

The idea of not having it at all is like asking them if they want to be locked up in solitary.

They are generally nicer to each other than we were but man, when some want to be lovely, and some always will, because duh, the target cannot help themselves from reading/watching whatever it is from someone trying to hurt them.

And the end of the school day is no escape. It's really lovely. I don't have any recommendations here, just thoughts.

A little education on social media in school might help.

Scandinavian countries have been starting up social media police units. I mean real police who have a visible presence on TikTok, Facebook and the like. They offer hotlines, chat and watch out for suicidal warnings, bullying and hate speech among children.

It’s uh, real dorky so far and has very strong dad/mom energy but hopefully these hardass policemen get the hang of it.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Fruits of the sea posted:

Scandinavian countries have been starting up social media police units. I mean real police who have a visible presence on TikTok, Facebook and the like. They offer hotlines, chat and watch out for suicidal warnings, bullying and hate speech among children.

It’s uh, real dorky so far and has very strong dad/mom energy but hopefully these hardass policemen get the hang of it.

Lol I bet they’re gonna have an epidemic of cops offing themselves.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I was a freshman when my school got its first football team. That first year was basically the dudes who didn't play the major sports our town specialized in like basketball/lacross/soccer so no one had experience beyond playing football in the yard. The seniors were a bunch of "delinquents" from when our school had the nickname "[Town name] Get High," before it sort of "cleaned up" just before I went there. It was a very Bad News Bears sort of team. I was a scrawny 120 pound dude. I got picked on within team, but ultimately they had my back outside of practice.

The guy who was gonna be our quarterback got his thumb broken the very day we got pads cause we were just loving around with this armor that made us feel invincible. We were beaten very badly for most of 3 out of my four years, but it was the most memorable part of high school for me, along with theater stuff

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

The Butcher posted:

So that tweet about just walking away and turning off the computer isn't possible anymore?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Not in school, but during my circa 2002 troll heyday I was involved in some online shittiness that targeted people who were subjected to some pretty classic cyberbullying by friends of mine. In retrospect, not my proudest moment.

When I was in high school, some people went on AIM & impersonated a guy I had a crush on, pretended to like me back, tricked me into saying sexual things, and then distributed our chatlog fairly widely.

The only other thing I've experienced that might be considered cyberbullying is being harassed by a girl after becoming more popular than her on a fanfiction forum. :shrug:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Fruits of the sea posted:

ACAB

Zargrim
May 29, 2022

by sebmojo
yes there was this kid name estaban that used to bring legos to school

before school me and my friends would hang out in the library and play computer games and watch scooby doo and bully estaban and all the school shooter motherfuckers like him (circa 1999)

one day we went to the library cards, pulled out the long 2 foot long metal shaft holding them together and tried to shove it up his rear end while he was playing liero

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
As the old saying goes -- "Mass media destroyed communism, social media destroyed democracy."

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I never bullied anyone, but honestly there was a point there when I was about 9 years old or so where I probably would have done it if I thought I could get away with it. There were some kids that I just didn't like for incredibly random and superficial reasons, like they had an annoying laugh or a weird mole or whatever, and the thought of clonking them on the head amused me quite a bit.

I was always skeptical as a kid when I'd hear someone trying to explain bullying as being some kind of self-esteem related issue. Sometimes kids are just psychos and sadists for no reason!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I told someone they were fat once and felt bad about it for weeks.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Are there any kids at all that aren't super connected to social media? Out of a class of maybe 30 is there at least one kid that just doesn't like it and barely touches it or whose parent's won't let them use it?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I was talking with a friend this weekend who reminded me of a teacher who was a bully.

Guy in his late 30s, still lived with his parents, his dad was also a teacher and almost definitely got him this job. He'd assign seats and put all the girls in the front few rows, all of us guys in the back. He'd comment on how much he liked the girl's shoes, especially in the summer when people wore flip flops and sandals and stuff. In retrospect this is loving insane but we just jokingly called him "Mr. Anti-Coochie" and joked that he was a pervert, that was it.

One day I messed up some real basic math on a test (this was a Geography class), like I forgot to carry a one or something. He laughed at me and told me to walk over to my Trigonometry teacher's classroom and explain what I missed. I said okay, stood up, and walked outta the room. Then I didn't come back. The next day I had class with him again and he said I could have gotten detention for that, I said "I couldn't find my trig teacher in his classroom, so I had to track him down." He hosed with me for the rest of the semester but I did not care at all, at this point I was in my "cool, angsty teen" phase and his class was a breeze even if you didn't pay attention or study at all.

He called another friend of mine "a loser stoner", one kid "chubs", and mocked another kid for dressing punk and having a mohawk.

He's not a teacher there any more but I can't find anything else about him. Honestly, I hope he's in jail or dead.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I was being bullied pretty badly so of course I'd try to fit in by also bullying the one kid that had it worse than me: a high functioning autistic kid that really shouldn't have been in a regular class where his needs weren't being met and kids were treating him like poo poo.

I'm not super proud of that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Are there any kids at all that aren't super connected to social media? Out of a class of maybe 30 is there at least one kid that just doesn't like it and barely touches it or whose parent's won't let them use it?

God, I hope so. I sincerely want it all to die by the time my kids hit that age. My oldest is about to turn 4 and uses devices & it's not great but I couldn't type searches at that age so there's probably an upside. There's really no upside to social and I hope that if it's not dead that I can at least brainwash them into knowing that cool kids surf, they don't post about surfing on zuckergram.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

kntfkr posted:

God, I hope so. I sincerely want it all to die by the time my kids hit that age. My oldest is about to turn 4 and uses devices & it's not great but I couldn't type searches at that age so there's probably an upside. There's really no upside to social and I hope that if it's not dead that I can at least brainwash them into knowing that cool kids surf, they don't post about surfing on zuckergram.

Our daughter just turned 5 and doesn't use devices too much. She relies on us probably too much to do things like navigate the PS4 to open Netflix and stuff though. So it's a trade off, I guess. At least at the moment, there's not any peer pressure to have her own phone and be hooked into social media, but we aren't looking forward to those days either.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I have a friend who stuck to her no devices guns and when her son (7) got to school & then covid happened he was way behind his peers in terms of being able to use the technology for remote learning.

naem
May 29, 2011

in the grimdark future, there is only SCREEN

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Donald Trump was president we're not bullying nearly hard enough.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lol at purposely handicapping your kids because youre scared of modern ubiquitous tech.

Did there like use to be parents that didnt want their kids to learn to read until they were adults in case they might see a naughty word written in a bathroom stall or something?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Or like idk, maybe more like denying kids ability to interact with tech and learn essential life skills like typing is more like the new denying kids glasses

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

One of my programmer coworkers made his kids not have devices until one day in 8th grade his daughters teacher had everyone get out their phones and go to a website for an assignment and guess who was the only kid in the class without one

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

kntfkr posted:

i can understand "no phone until grade x" or keeping close tabs on social media, but keeping kids completely away from tech is like those weird parents who had no tv in their house or forbade their kids from watching it 30 years ago. it results in "that kid" who ends up being completely out of the loop and singled out. i also have no idea how you can keep kids offline now, as so much schoolwork has on online component.

forbidding common things also just means that your kids will learn to be sneaky and do it at their friends' houses where you have no control over it, so you'll have no clue that your son is looking at right-wing nazi poo poo or some pedo creep is grooming your teenage daughter. it was also really easy to spot kids who grew up in restrictive environments at university, because they were the ones who went completely nuts when they were suddenly let off the leash.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think anybody itt was advocating for a complete prohibition, other than longing for a society where it's not so ubiquitous, but certainly letting a child who has next to no critical thinking skills get marketed to for hours everyday by a YouTube algorithm seems like bad parenting.

I'm hopeful there's a space in between where they can develop a healthy relationship to technology without it becoming an addiction.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Some countries have started doing basic social media education for minors and pre-teens. Basic stuff like how to handle bullying, sticking to chat groups/games with classmates, not talking to strangers and warnings not to share nudes of themselves or others because its illegal.

The last one sounds crazy but it happens a lot more often than you would expect. There's also a lot of lovely bullying - kids making parody accounts for kids they don't like and saying horrible poo poo to each other because they know they won't get caught. The main issue is getting the teachers to realize what's going on because a lot of them are stuck in the 90's and don't realize that a lot of school drama also takes place on social media now.

E: Many of the things I mentioned are common sense poo poo that parents teach their children at a young age - about real life. If you think of social media as a public street, a lot of the same common sense is applicable.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 2, 2022

CozyFella
Feb 1, 2022

I don't have anything of value to add to this conversation.
But I don't care.
For being a scrawny kid at the time I would talk poo poo to everyone. I would verbally poo poo on the helpless dorks in my classes along with the kids I would consider actual bullies.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Who didn't?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ate a kid once

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
We used to bully this kid that lived a block over from me, mercilessly. His whole family were dipshit objectivist fans of Ayn Rand so the whole bus made fun of him.

Now he's a good friend and much more progressive, so the bullying worked.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
We are just up jumped chimps. And kids are basically baby psycho chimps.

First time I snapped and socked a bully, it stopped. Hierarchy in the tribe established. I'm not in charge, but don't gently caress with me.

Friends now.

Fuckin' humans.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah, there was a kid at summer camp who we all called 'Din-Din' because his nipples were the size of dinner plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh yeah, there was a kid at summer camp who we all called 'Din-Din' because his nipples were the size of dinner plates.

Same. Different reasons