Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

There were definitely people waaaay lower than me on the social hierarchy, and I never gave them any poo poo. But there was this one kid who was a giant loser who decided to get in my face for like a year for some reason. I just gave it right back to him, but i guess because people laughed at him when I did it, it kind of felt like bullying. It never sat right with me and thankfully he cooled off and I didn’t have to react to him anymore. That was the closest I ever came to feeling like a bully. I didn’t like it and I’m glad it wasn’t a regular thing for me.

I wonder what I did to piss him off. I think about it sometimes and I legit have no clue. I’m sure he knows though.

That reminds me about some kid in the 7th grade who, despite me never really interacting with him, decided that I was the bane of his existance and kept trying to start fights with me, telling me about how his dad wants to beat me up (:wtf:) and so on. I just ignored him, because I had no idea what his problem was. One day he snuck up behind me and attacked me, so I slammed him into a desk right as a teacher walked in and, in typical school fashion, we both got into trouble. At least he stopped trying to start fights with me after that.

Years later, late in high school, I ran into him at some event, he recognized me and proceeded to come up to me and start with the aggressive posturing again "REMEMBER ME!?" and so on. I just walked away and never saw him again after that. I still have no idea what I allegedly did to that guy to become his mortal enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

kntfkr posted:

God, I hope so. I sincerely want it all to die by the time my kids hit that age. My oldest is about to turn 4 and uses devices & it's not great but I couldn't type searches at that age so there's probably an upside. There's really no upside to social and I hope that if it's not dead that I can at least brainwash them into knowing that cool kids surf, they don't post about surfing on zuckergram.

i can understand "no phone until grade x" or keeping close tabs on social media, but keeping kids completely away from tech is like those weird parents who had no tv in their house or forbade their kids from watching it 30 years ago. it results in "that kid" who ends up being completely out of the loop and singled out. i also have no idea how you can keep kids offline now, as so much schoolwork has on online component.

forbidding common things also just means that your kids will learn to be sneaky and do it at their friends' houses where you have no control over it, so you'll have no clue that your son is looking at right-wing nazi poo poo or some pedo creep is grooming your teenage daughter. it was also really easy to spot kids who grew up in restrictive environments at university, because they were the ones who went completely nuts when they were suddenly let off the leash.