Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Cut off the head of the Gorgon. Go for the double-tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Slap the Gorgon in his naughty bits

Also you keep calling the adventure maps .WADs, are they actually doom engine maps?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

dervinosdoom posted:

Slap the Gorgon in his naughty bits

Also you keep calling the adventure maps .WADs, are they actually doom engine maps?

Yes, yes they are. You can actually load them up in a Doom map editor, even though a few things are a bit wonky.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It's time to save the world. Stop the Gorgon now before it's too late!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Yes, yes they are. You can actually load them up in a Doom map editor, even though a few things are a bit wonky.

So... what happens if you load them up in Doom proper? Are we going to get an extra-special episode where Rogr finds a cache of strange Dwarven weapons and rips and tears his way through a map with a chain gun and rocket launcher?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Randalor posted:

So... what happens if you load them up in Doom proper? Are we going to get an extra-special episode where Rogr finds a cache of strange Dwarven weapons and rips and tears his way through a map with a chain gun and rocket launcher?

As if Noelon would let anyone else touch those.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Randalor posted:

God, if only.

If I remember right, someone attempted the reverse, firing up some Doom .wads in Birthright's adventure editor. Apparently a lot of stuff is missing, like object sprites and etc., but for enemies, apparently something if the format matches up so that at least some Doom enemies are instead spawned in as Birthright enemies. So presumably something similar would happen in that you'd spawn in where you normally would in the Birthright adventure, with your starting fists and pistol, and some enemies would be missing while others would be replaced with some arbitrarily chosen Doom equivalent.

Black Robe posted:

As if Noelon would let anyone else touch those.

Noelon already has his Hammer of Thunder, it's effectively a double-barrelled shotgun against anything I've met so far after acquiring it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Spend your money to vassalize Medoere and, I assume, instantly win.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It would be a very different set of adventures if your party all spawned in with super shotguns.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Spend your money to vassalize Medoere and, I assume, instantly win.

The problem is that Medoere is already our vassal, which makes it doubly weird that they have their own sub-vassals that count towards their victory score but not ours. I swear nothing about this game makes sense including... some stuff... that'll happen in the next update.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What happens if you declare war on your vassal's vassals?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

What happens if you declare war on your vassal's vassals?

So far it seems like the game rolls a hidden die of some sort and then randomly they pick one of their allies to stay loyal to.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

gently caress up the Gorgon. Everybody else better fall in line after that.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Take on Raesene, the Gorgon!
(trivia - there's at least two statblocks for him. They're not identical - in one [birthright campaign setting] he's got 16 wizard levels, and is 10' tall ; the other [birthright - blood enemies] no mention of spellcasting, and is only 8')

Randalor posted:

You get Hexen?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Gorgon, get em!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
We are, in theory, good guys, so destroy the gorgon even though meodore will probably vassalize them or something and auto win. :v:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
True store: years ago in one of my 2e D&D campaigns, we had an underworld contact who was a medusa. Her name was Zola.

It took me years to get that joke. Let's see if you do it faster.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I sighed, but I also smiled.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

True store: years ago in one of my 2e D&D campaigns, we had an underworld contact who was a medusa. Her name was Zola.

It took me years to get that joke. Let's see if you do it faster.

I'm usually pretty good with puns, but this one is eluding me, possibly an ESL thing. Go ahead and explain it to me so I can groan in agony. :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, it's nothing English specific, wrong angle. She's a medusa, because whatever book of mythological monsters the early D&D folks used had a couple errors in it, what she actually is is a gorgon, she's Gorgon Zola, she's...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm usually pretty good with puns, but this one is eluding me, possibly an ESL thing. Go ahead and explain it to me so I can groan in agony. :v:

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgonzola

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The only thing I hate about that pun was that I couldn't figure it out faster. :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

What a cheesy joke.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I have no cheese puns, but that was a good joke, I won't lie.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I take no credit for it. The GM for whom I played for nearly a decade when I was roughly 11-late teens came up with it, and I did not pick up on the joke until I was literally at a cheese shop. I only though of it a day or two ago because I was eating a pizza made with said cheese.

The problem with this pun is that gorgon is the actual mythical name of the species, but it works because most people these days call them medusas. Medusa was one of the three ancient Greek gorgons, the one that was slain by Perseus as the other two: Euryale and Stheno (I had to look Stheno up) were immortal, which is handy. In D&D, gorgon was used for a bull-like monster that exhaled petrifying vapour, so it's... weird that they did this given how much Greek myth has given to D&D.

I forgot this, but to put extra stupidity on this the legitimate front for this medusa-mobster was that she owned a cheese shop. Our DM was a clever bastard and had this ready from the start.

SIGSEGV probably said it better than I.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

JustJeff88 posted:

In D&D, gorgon was used for a bull-like monster that exhaled petrifying vapour, so it's... weird that they did this given how much Greek myth has given to D&D.

Has anyone done research or a write up on why they did stuff like this? I know some of the D&D monsters were just inspired by cheap kids toys but where does the petrifying bull come from? And why does other games like might and magic(at least the heroes spin off) use it as well?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Hel posted:

Has anyone done research or a write up on why they did stuff like this? I know some of the D&D monsters were just inspired by cheap kids toys but where does the petrifying bull come from? And why does other games like might and magic(at least the heroes spin off) use it as well?

Not sure. I want to say that the gorgon bull-monster was inspired by an Ethiopian fable, but that might be the catoblepas. I have no problem with that monster existing, but naming it after a legendary creature of myth is just dumb. Call it a petribull or a steelycow or something like that. Yes, I know that that sounds very Final Fantasy - I apologise for nothing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Hel posted:

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/oddnotes/topsellgorgon.html

Or at least, that seems to be a strong candidate.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 3, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Update 10: A Skeleton Crew

As turn 42 starts, we've almost completed the liberation of Ghoere, only the capital, Danaroene, still needs sieging down.

SIRE, THE DUKE HAS THROWN ANOTHER DECLARATION OF WAR FROM THE BATTLEMENTS.
So I see. But has he, perhaps, sallied forth to dislodge us? Had his court mage cast mighty enchantments to remove us?
NOT AS SUCH, NO.
Then I suppose we're still going to be sitting here twiddling our thumbs while the engineers crack his walls.
We could always go on an adventure, I'm sure the one of the skeletons can receive the duke's angry mail while we're out.

Despite the description of this as being an adventure into an abandoned elven village, this is set entirely in a dungeon. Not even a brief overworld section like Barrow Hill.

Also, despite Alliene now having the level, due to the Book of Exalted Deeds, to memorize 5th-level spells... she doesn't actually learn any. :v: This loving game. It's like they were completely surprised by anyone ever loving levelling up.

The dungeon is relatively straight forward, no secondary .WAD, no teleporters. However, only like... half of it is relevant at all. You barely need to visit any of it to complete it, really.

Very warm for a place called Winterroot.
Once again the omnipresent magma.

Winterroot does like its pitfalls and lava.

The door on the left here is locked, so we'll be rolling past it.

Zombies are a non-threat, like they've always been.

Rather than heading down the corridor or into the hall on the right, flatten yourself and crawl through this tiny space on the left, moving into the upper right cave section of the map.

I HATE FIGHTING SPIDERS, URTICATING HAIRS GIVE ME A RASH.
Then stop trying to pet them and just kill them.
YOU DON'T KNOW THEY CAN'T BE PET UNTIL YOU TRY.

More goddamn magma. Was it on sale or something?

At the far end of this crevice is a prison, which is the upper central section of this map. This actually briefly stymied me because I couldn't seem to interact with any of the grates or doors to get out of the cell... but then a fat-fingering of the keys made the party just walk through them, turns out they're permeable sprites. Someone was real lazy in the office that day.

The only important part of the prison are the big doors in the upper right and this cell.

CALLING DIBS.
I don't think anyone particularly wants a pair of gloves from a prison cell that still, eugh, have some of the previous owner in them.
DIBS DIBS DIBS!
Yes, yes, you can have them, Noelon, but please wash them when we get home.

Gauntlets of Ogre Power are one of the holy grails of playing as a 2e Fighter. Rather than a measly +1 bonus or whatever, they just instantly set your strength wildly high. Assuming you rolled your strength "old school," you possibly had no basic strength bonuses, or perhaps only a +1/+1. 18/00 strength rockets you up to +3 to hit(+15%) and +6 to damage(where the strongest melee weapon does, by itself, 1d10 damage, that's an absolutely wild damage boost.)

What's more important is that unlike the loving Ioun Stones, the programmers weren't complete morons and didn't gently caress this one up. Noelon now actually hits harder with his sword, or hell with his bare hands, than the legendary artifact he's been hauling around and throwing at enemies.

Once you approach these big double doors, a couple of Hellhounds come out to bite at your ankles, and there's another one behind the doors themselves.

And with that, you're the proud owner of the Ioun Heart(tm).

Surprise, though, despite this extremely cool theoretical effect, it is, like all other loving Ioun Stones in this game, COMPLETELY loving NON-FUNCTIONAL.

Well that was certainly a letdown.
MORE LIKE IOUN SHAMS.

Since it's a few turns yet to break down Danaroene's fortress, I decide that certainly my troops can dunk on the Gorgon without mage support.

And whip up a few extra supports for the raw force solution.

Between the Gorgon and his vassals, though, we're still outnumbered roughly ten to one. I wish I could assume we could count on support from our own allies and perhaps Medoere's network of vassals, but... I don't really feel like that's a safe assumption.

...actually, is Medoere getting victory points from us being their ally because of all the provinces we're taking? God, that would just be the worst.

That's a nice surprise, at least, no one's told us that they'd rather wait and see while we get skewered.
Endier even borders some of the Gorgon's provinces, they might actually help.

Tenarien, Cwlldar and Maesilar are our first targets. I keep a small force back in Conallier to chase down any of the Gorgon's troops that get funny ideas about somehow managing to slip past the front line.

The first battle goes pretty well, but the second...

How do we even tell which ones are ours? All skeletons look the same.

We really need to do something about this, maybe some brightly coloured sashes?
WE COULD JUST PAINT THEM. DIP THEM IN GREEN DYE.

This battle is an absolute shitshow, despite completely outnumbering the Gorgon's skeletons, I think the rolls treat us badly. The Knights get completely mauled while barely doing any damage and I pull them off the field to prevent any units dying and not being able to consolidate with others.

They start slowly pounding our skeleton troops to bonemeal, and I actually see a few troops "routing," which is to say that they involuntarily shift one square away from where they're fighting after getting badly dunked on and almost destroyed, even if they're skeletons who should be completely fearless.

Even with the majority of our skeletons reduced to orange or less health, the Gorgon's goons till have two squads of skeletons in the green. This isn't looking very good.

In the end, one unit of Knights and two units of Skeletons end up surviving, in exchange for destroying three of the Gorgon's six skeleton troops. Lesson learned: Do not gently caress with lots of skeletons without a priest or two along.

Aside from that, though, all of the first wave of war goals are secured.

Counter-attacks are repulsed bloodily.

And a turn, where the Gorgon oddly enough does not declare war on us, is spent claiming all of our newly secured territory.

Normally I'd say we should focus on the war and ignore this, especially considering that Caine is technically our ally but...
We are absolutely not leaving an artifact like that anywhere near Kalien.
I AGREE. HE CANNOT BE TRUSTED WITH THE MIGHT OF BIG HAT.
Noelon, it's not just a big hat, it's... look, you'll see when we get our hands on it.

Oh and loving Medoere is now not just one of the frontrunners, but actually in the loving LEAD. What the hell. We need to pants the Gorgon on the battlefield so everyone will love us, stat.

Oh thank goodness, I was running out of space to store those letters.

And there goes Ghoere. That saves me those constant "war has been declared!"-popups.

Now lets go rob Caine before we're at war again.

HANG ON WAS THAT A BIRD IN THE PREVIEW.

Falcon's Roost is one of the split-by-teleporters levels, with a big outdoor area and them a small "slice" for each level of Caine's tower.

SERIOUSLY. I THINK I SAW A BIRD. PLACE IS EVEN CALLED FALCON'S ROOST, IT MAKES SENSE.
I'm afraid I didn't see anything, Noelon.
Maybe once we clamber out of this swamp and on to that pillar over there we can see something.

Note the super obvious white door there. Assume I noticed this as well and didn't totally fail to spot it at all.

I KNEW THERE WERE BIRDS HERE.

Say hello to the Wyvern.

In tabletop AD&D they are absolutely scary bastards. In addition to being flying, tanky and able to do a ton of damage, they have a stinging tail that does literal save-or-die poison. This makes me so glad the devs were too dumb to add poison into the game.

Flying enemies are also kinda janky in this game, sometimes they just sort of swap to their "walking" animations in mid-air, like this wyvern did, deciding to crawl along on the wind.

Up top there's an arrow pointing at the tower and two potions of Fly in case you got here without a wizard, with a low level wizard, or without Fly or Levitate memorized.

I bump into a wyvern mid-air, which actually forces me to Retreat back to ground to fight them there, since enemies in mid-air are often not actually in "range" to hit and neither they or Noelon can "walk" in combat mode in mid-air to reach each other. It's kind of stupid, by which I mean extremely stupid.

In addition to the very visible door I completely missed, the tower also has this door, which I assumed was the only one.

WAIT, THE FRONT DOOR IS LOCKED?
...I have to admit I don't know what to do now, this is a pretty genius way to avoid having your tower raided.
I'm putting my foot down, I simply refuse to walk back through the swamp emptyhanded, gather close.

I pick a large room at random to avoid getting stuck and teleport the party over.

I HAVE SOME ISSUES WITH THIS CHOICE OF LOCATION.

Every "slice" of the tower has a harpy or two that flaps over and tries to beat up the party, then gets flattened. I send the party upwards first.

This door demands a key and gets a Knock instead.

So the crown is in a lake of acid, and also pops up and out of a hole, challenging our timing to steal it?

This is why I wanted this thing, a loving EXTRA ACTION PER TURN. That's a literal 33% more actions over time. If you get this one early on it's wild, but even if you get it later on, it's still loving good.

Since I accidentally picked the second-to-last room in the tower, though, I decide to have a walk down and see what other excitement is hidden within.

This room has the loot behind bars, but then walls immediately drop down when you enter, providing a way behind the bars.

THE HALL OF DECEPTION
You mean Ioun Stone Storage?
I KNOW WHAT I MEAN

Why would there be barracks for the gargoyles?
MAYBE THEY LIKE A NICE LIE DOWN AFTER A DAY ON THE JOB
Noelon, they're animated statues. When did you last see a statue take a nap?
EXACTLY. THEY NEED IT MORE THAN ANYONE.

Surprisingly humble quarters, for an archmage.
Austere, even. I hardly consider myself flashy, but I like a nice tapestry or two at home.
I LIKE THE GOLD CORNER.

Next door is a nice dining room.

And this statue that my brain refuses to parse. Is it two lions supporting an orb? Two weird legs with a giant monstrous eyeball between them?

Well, I certainly hope never to get assailed by some flying creature again.
I'll say, it feels like everything with wings short of pigeons were after us in there.

Any changes while we were away?

The territory we took from the Gorgon has been fortified, we're ready for the next push to liberate the former lands of Mhoried.
Looks like the Gorgon's ready for us, too, I can see the banners of his troops just over the new border.

Being able to declare war and then immediately move is pretty nice.

I move into the next line of provinces and then harangue Endier to re-ally with me, because they're pricks who've broken their alliance without warning for the Nth time. It would be funny if it was related to my raiding Caine's tower, but I'm 99% sure it's not.

With Alliene and Hubaere along to Turn the enemies, the Gorgon's skeletons are no longer a threat, but his army routs before I can do much damage.

VICTORIES ACROSS THE BOARD, SIRE.
Oh thank goodness, I was fearing another skeleton on skeleton massacre.

I push up all the way to Marloer's Gap, pushing the same group of constantly routing enemies ahead of me, crushing pieces of them off constantly.

That went more easily than expected. We're right up against the borders of Markazor now...
Well, what are we waiting for?
It's just, before we were liberating conquered territory, now we'd be invading another nation's lands.
Another nation of murderous dickheads.
Alliene! Language!
SHE HAS A POINT, YOU KNOW.
Thank you, Noelon.
Father, If we just stop here, sooner or later they'll be invading someone else. This is our chance to properly make sure no one else is threatened by them.
...I don't like it, but I know you're right. Can we do an adventure first, though? I need a break from the battlefield.

This adventure starts off with a bug by not letting me pick Rogr's memorized spells. This is an issue for two reasons, firstly, after one adventure, spent spells aren't automatically rememorized, they just remain as free slots. Secondly, after any battle your regent or other casters are in, their entire set of memorized spells is wiped and replaced by battle spells, so now Rogr has no stand-by adventuring spells like Fly, Levitate, Knock or Teleport, instead all he has is blasty casts.

At least the temple seems pretty simple. Ruornil is the inheritor of the mantle of god of Magic, and thus also some amount of lunar bullshit, because the moon is always magical.

This seems quite peaceful for temple grounds supposedly haunted by an evil entity.

The only opposition as I enter the temple is goblins, this one gets Death Spelled, which reduces them to smoking chunks of carbon. Very efficient, but probably hell on the poor cleaning crew.

In a corner on the left side of the entry hall is this door, which I check out first. Notably, this room has multiple secrets.

If you note the map, there are five small niches ahead which are currently closed, but which contains items, and a secret door on the west side of the room, currently behind the party.

Ooof ow my back.

A PAIR OF IOUN STONES? WHAT A...
Do not.
CRUSHING DISAPPOINTMENT.

This dungeon's big thing is crushing ceilings/floors. Thankfully, phys damage seems unable to outright kill a party member, but it can reduce them to 1 HP which makes them pretty susceptible to being killed by something else. Thankfully both Noelon and Hubaere have regen rings. Rogr and Alliene, meanwhile will need healing spells.

This trap room also contains the button that opens the niches, revealing that one of them contains the green key.

On the far side of the room is another door.

It leads to a "shortcut" that saves us zero time and just leads us to the same main room we could've walked into right from the start. I do not understand it.

A triple throne? How peculiar.

It kind of baffles me, especially in what's supposedly a temple rather than like, a royal location of some sort.

The door in the northeast corner hides yet another Ring of Regeneration, this one goes to Rogr which I apparently did in a feat of wild prescience as it turns out to save me from being a dumbass later.

What I presume is the high priest's quarters, and indeed the only bedroom in this place, are off to the left of the "throne room." Oddly enough I think it's so far the only opulent bedroom we've found that doesn't at least contain a few sacks of gold.

At the end of the corridor is a brief excursion outside before we dive through another doorway.

And moving through too slowly squishes Noelon and Hubaere with a crushing floor. :v: This loving dungeon design.

At the far end we start encountering these brown-skinned goblins which turn out to just be "goblin zombies," i.e. just as irrelevant in combat as goblins but now you can Turn them, too. They suck.

This Potion of Flying, of which there are three in here, are because you cannot either enter the end of this branch OR leave again without flying/levitating. I hate this school of dungeon design.

Curiously, the end of the branch is just a room with a few goblins and gold, the actual reward is a room prior to it.

Being another pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Strength. Noelon can't double up, but it means that even otherwise irrelevant melee fighters like Alliene or Hubaere can suddenly start dishing out the hurt if they get a spare pair.

Back in the main building, going up the left stairway eventually leads down some winding corridors until the way is barred by a pit. I think it's technically jumpable, but I would hate to find out the hard way and have to restart the adventure, so a spare Fly potion gets chugged to cross it safely.

Wait, this is it?
What do you mean this is it?! It's the Master of Shadows! He's done all sorts of awful things!
He's a spectre with a self-important title who filled a temple with goblins. I can't believe those priests needed us for this.

Oh well, I suppose I should try out one of these fireballs on him, that should do the trick.
WAIT, I DON'T THINK-

THIS SEEMS BAD.
Father?! No!

false alarm, I'm still alive just a bit crispy.

Turns out that Ring of Regeneration saved him. :v: If it hadn't, though, Hubaere has a spare Rod of Resurrection that could've fixed him up.

I believe this is the +level tome for evil clerics.

:toot: Hooray, we got a lovely item. In the PnP game this would be interesting in some cases, Bloodline Strength is very hard to raise normally, requiring either large amounts of Regency or stealing it from others. Small increases usually don't matter greatly either, rather there are several breakpoints at which your powers are improved or you can gain more of them. Ten points is of marginal use but might, to the right character, push them over a breakpoint. In TGA it's just more victory points.

Back on the strategic map, we're currently at the point where all of former Mhoried, except for one province claimed by Brosengae and one claimed by generic Chaos guys are in our hands, now it's just a matter of adding them to our province count through Investiture.

The Gorgon sends a team of badass bone boys to interrupt our efforts, the fucker.

I feel like the Gorgon may have some inherent sort of combat bonus, because despite a more or less equal number of skeletons, he seems to come out on top every time. I mean, hell, last time I even outnumbered him!

And thus we take our first actual combat loss. This illustrates why Priests are probably the most necessary type of lieutenant or regent to bring to the field, simply to nuke the Gorgon's hordes of skeletons. Mages are a close second since they make your own skeletons and can also reliably blast non-skeleton troops to ashes.

Once the big boys are there to help out with the battle, it goes notably easier.

And then this fight, I think "oh, it's just a small group, I'll autobattle this."

A single unit? Oh, it's probably just a goblin cavalry or something, right?

The AI somehow loving got Hubaere, my high-level Cleric, killed. What the gently caress, game? Jesus. I can't trust you with anything.

Once I'm done swearing, however...

Except for the, uh, Hubaere incident, Mhoried is now wholly under our control.
The scouts report that the Gorgon is lurking in the remains of Sielwode, probably hunting the surviving elves... I suppose we won't find as good a chance as this to bring the battle to him.
BEING ON CAMPAIGN REALLY LETS YOU SEE THE WORLD.

It's hard to make out the small sprites, but we've moved into Markazor(Torien's Watch, Riverspring), while also challenging the group of the Gorgon's troops in Dhalsiel. The group of troops in the southeast are still on our side of the border because the Gorgon moved first and rolled a bunch of goons in to pin them in place.

Victories across the board, and barely any losses at that! The gods must be smiling on us!
I THINK THE GODS SMILE ON ANYONE WHO BRINGS THOUSANDS OF SKELETONS AND LARGE VOLUMES OF ARCANE ARTILLERY TO THE BATTLEFIELD.

It's during the next phase of the invasion that I notice a rule that hadn't seemed to matter much before, but suddenly matters when I'm marching skeletons all the way from Ilien to Markazor... troop movement actually costs money. :v: Oddly enough, despite remembering this fiddly little rule, TGA doesn't actually apply troop movement limits. Troops, as long as not stopped by forts or hostile troops, can move as many provinces as they like in a single turn, you just gotta have the wallet for it. This is why I've dropped from almost 200GB to barely 2GB.

The worst thing to fight, aside from skeletons, are obviously dwarves. Those little bastards are the toughest fighters in Cerilia.

This fighting has done more damage to the Gorgon than I expected, they're down close to a hundred troops now, not counting their allies. I think some of this damage may be our allies actually attacking them, too, though.

And the territory taken has actually nudged us ahead of Medoere for the first time in a long time. It's neck and neck for the Iron Throne.

While waiting for the Gorgon to move his fat rear end over to the battlefield, I decide to spend some of my huge surplus of Regency points to generate a bit of gold. Alchemy is usually an emergency solution, since the exchange rate of regency to gold is 4:1 which is remarkably bad. It's mostly useful for non-landed mage regents who may only have sources and not actually any guilds, temples or provinces generating money.

It finally happened!
CAN I GET AN AUTOGRAPH BEFORE WE KILL HIM?
Afterwards, your own autograph will be worth even more.
...AND I CAN WRITE AS MANY OF THOSE AS I WANT! I FEEL MYSELF TEMPTED BY THIS POWER.

A skeletal bodyguard. Why didn't I think of that?
You're not a maniacal overlord bent on murderous world conquest, dad.

Our troops clash with the Gorgon, Rogr lines up a spell and...

The Gorgon crumples like a wet paper bag and then... walks away? You can't actually kill him, as it turns out, despite it saying he dies, he always technically survives the battle, however...

Kicking his rear end is worth a sweet 100 victory points.

...that was very sudden.
After they heard you beat up the Gorgon, everyone agreed they'd feel much safer if you(and the skeletons) stayed in the Imperial City.
HOT DIGGITY, OPULENT BEDS, FANCY FURNITURE, ALL THE TAPESTRIES I CAN EAT.
And the burdens of running a kingdom as my general.
CAN'T THAT WAIT TILL TOMORROW?
Oh well, I suppose it can. For now, we can afford to celebrate.
Not for too long, though, this is only a small corner of the world made safe. There are still the Rjurik lands, the Great Bay, the Khinasi steppes and the Vos glaciers... and lands beyond.

And so, they lived happily ever after, at least as far as this LP is concerned.

VOTE

Do you want me to do a completely unfair playthrough as a nation of my choice where I see how quickly I can dunk on the game? Game settings will be the same as this one, but no unfair trick will be neglected and no principles will be adhered to. Everyone and everywhere will be fair game.

This run lasted until turn 53.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

That was very sudden.

Also I thought we all agreed on you breaking the game over its knee during the first vote? :v:
But otherwise, yes.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Make the game sob in terror.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Crush the game into dust, this bugfest deserves a lot of breaking.

Whatever the heck was up with Medoere sure was weird, at least they didn't victory-steal and Rogr's virtuous ways won in the end.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 4, 2022

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Shatter what little is left of the game's "balance"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So with those 100 points for beating the Gorgon in a war fight and them not dying... can you just dunk on them several times in war battles and immediately win that way or is the bonus score a one-time thing?

PurpleXVI posted:

Do you want me to do a completely unfair playthrough as a nation of my choice where I see how quickly I can dunk on the game? Game settings will be the same as this one, but no unfair trick will be neglected and no principles will be adhered to. Everyone and everywhere will be fair game.

:sickos:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
1) I think that you should dunk on the game, then try playing with the weakest nation on the hardest settings.

2) The end-game screen says that you cheated once; when was that? I assume that it was to circumvent some of the game's many issues.

3) Speaking of issues, so much about this game screams 'I need a fan patch!'

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
What the gently caress? This game is an utter mess.

Like, I'm getting irritated watching this with you constantly tripping over the extreme bugginess and non-functionality issues.

The fireball incident was hilarious though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Sometimes I worry that, if Purple LPed a non-jankfest, he would die of withdrawal.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Using superior elven gaming technology, I have beaten a run of The Gorgon's Alliance in ~3 hours, compared to the... ~16-ish hours it took me to win with Ilien. It was 23 game turns, so I'll note that the main difference in time had nothing to do with actual like, game-turns played, but instead with my getting stuck in badly designed dungeons.

Which still happened, even while playing in the cheatiest way possible.

JustJeff88 posted:

2) The end-game screen says that you cheated once; when was that? I assume that it was to circumvent some of the game's many issues.

The first time I got stuck in a closet in Barrow Mound I tried to use a console command to get myself out by putting a single Teleport spell in the party's inventory, but it turns out that the console commands... are also bugged.

I think it may be something like they only work on the Windows 95 version of the game or some similar jank-rear end poo poo.

JustJeff88 posted:

Sometimes I worry that, if Purple LPed a non-jankfest, he would die of withdrawal.

I think it's a consequence of the fact that the games from my childhood/teen years/early adulthood that I want to show off, and which haven't already been LP'd to death, are often these kinds of games with an excess of ambition and a shortage of competence. :v:

Someone else has usually LP'd the actually thoroughly good games.

Evil Fluffy posted:

So with those 100 points for beating the Gorgon in a war fight and them not dying... can you just dunk on them several times in war battles and immediately win that way or is the bonus score a one-time thing?

:sickos:

It seems to only register once, because immediately after I dunked on the Gorgon once, he came back again, immediately got dunked again, and then slunk away a second time, but I only ended up with the ~400 points and not ~500.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

I think it's a consequence of the fact that the games from my childhood/teen years/early adulthood that I want to show off, and which haven't already been LP'd to death, are often these kinds of games with an excess of ambition and a shortage of competence. :v:

I think that I prefer those games to copy-pasted, soleless, algorithm-tested corporate tat any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Knowing nothing about this game or its setting, this has been interesting to follow. Looking forward to seeing that game-breaking run.