Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

1 has already been competently LP'd and I hate 2. 2 is, like a lot of other games I've LP'ed now that I realize it, from the mid/late 90's where it's using technologies that haven't quite been figured out yet, and it's just... it's a janky loving mess. Plus even for its time it looked like absolute dogshit.

I like 1 and have no interest in 2 or 3, personally. If you say that 2 is a janky loving mess, then it is truly a janky loving mess given the points of reference that you have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

JustJeff88 posted:

I like 1 and have no interest in 2 or 3, personally. If you say that 2 is a janky loving mess, then it is truly a janky loving mess given the points of reference that you have seen.

It's a janky mess and in addition to that it hurts to look at.

Imagine Cruelty Squad but every texture is a picture of either insanely low-res pixelated vomit or potato salad. 3 is personally a game that gripped me because it allows you to break into people's houses and businesses and steal their stuff, and any game that lets me do that immensely captures my interest.

Black Robe posted:

It has, but it's not archived, and the image host the thread used is dead. Hard to enjoy a screenshot LP with no screenshots.

Agreed on 2 though.

Oh, drat, well that loving sucks.

Personally I stopped requesting that my LP's be archived because one or two of them didn't get archived after a reply from Baldurk and thus I feel like I'm being annoying either because my LP's are difficult to archive or just because I'm submitting way too high volume. This may or may not just be me being insane, ofc.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

Personally I stopped requesting that my LP's be archived because one or two of them didn't get archived after a reply from Baldurk and thus I feel like I'm being annoying either because my LP's are difficult to archive or just because I'm submitting way too high volume. This may or may not just be me being insane, ofc.

I think that you need to be persistent; they deserve to be preserved. Anything left on the forum will eventually have all of the sound clips, video and images lost. The first two will always be lost on the archive as well because they are externally hosted, but the images will be preserved. Just for reference, the only LPs that you have on the archive are Albion, Betrayal and Wizards & Warriors - that leaves a lot out. I wasn't around for Albion - I should read that one.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Well part of the problem is that you have already seen the Realm spells that are useful:

Legion of the Dead, always
Alchemy, sometimes

Cleric realm spells primarily provide economic boosts which... aren't really all that necessary. Other mage realm spells require large amounts of setup and ley lines to blow up an enemy army or the like when you could just... flood them with skeletons, my good gamer.

I'd include Teleport as another situationally useful spell. I mean, if you're a hundred points short of winning and the Gorgon is sitting on the other end of the map, there's worse things to do than to teleport him into the middle of an army that'll auto-rout him.

And I'll definitely agree on the Cleric Realm spells, the only one I can recall off the top of my head is Bless, and that's because there's an Artifact that auto-casts it on all of your provinces for free.

PurpleXVI posted:

Are we talking about TGA or my suffering being fascinating in some other context? :v:

I suppose the high-difficulty run of The Gorgon's Alliance would be playing as a Fighter or Rogue and refusing to recruit any clerics or mages, making the whole thing into a pure economics sim(and also making like half the dungeons unsolveable, or at least unsolveable without an extremely high pain threshold). Of course, it would also likely be insanely dull to just mindlessly mash piles upon piles of pixelmans together since about the only tactical depth you're allowed is where your wizards get blasting during the fights. Having no Clerics would also require absurd numerical superiority to reliably chew through the Gorgon's swarms of skeletons.

I could see such a run quickly abandon mashing pixels together to focus on getting and developing an absurd number of high-end holdings, as I recall those also contributing to VP. Which would also be incredibly dull, but for different reasons.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is it possible to Ally or Vassalize The Gorgon, or is that explicitly hard-coded so that there's always a 0% chance of alliance or vassalization? With the way the rest of the game is programmed, I can see that being possible and one hilarious way to win just by dint of "Let the Gorgon run rampant and count his territories as yours".

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Randalor posted:

Is it possible to Ally or Vassalize The Gorgon, or is that explicitly hard-coded so that there's always a 0% chance of alliance or vassalization? With the way the rest of the game is programmed, I can see that being possible and one hilarious way to win just by dint of "Let the Gorgon run rampant and count his territories as yours".

The Gorgon, Markazor, the Spiderfell and Mur-Kilad are explicitly excluded from any diplomatic actions other than declaring war, presumably because they couldn't avoid those sorts of outcomes otherwise. :v:

Unoriginal One posted:

I could see such a run quickly abandon mashing pixels together to focus on getting and developing an absurd number of high-end holdings, as I recall those also contributing to VP. Which would also be incredibly dull, but for different reasons.

Holdings aren't supposed to count towards victory points and don't seem to, but considering everything else about this game... who the gently caress can really say for sure?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm highly amused that a "legitimate" playthrough took nine updates (the first update was mechanics and factions) and "breaking the game" brought it to a single one.

I do have one burning question, though. Medoere, who was rumored to have divine lasers from the moon... is that actually a thing they can do? Because gods I hope it is.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

I'm highly amused that a "legitimate" playthrough took nine updates (the first update was mechanics and factions) and "breaking the game" brought it to a single one.

I do have one burning question, though. Medoere, who was rumored to have divine lasers from the moon... is that actually a thing they can do? Because gods I hope it is.

I feel like you know the answer in your heart: why the hell would this game contain anything fun, interesting or novel for a given nation?

The Moon Ion Cannon saved Medoere when it was founded, when a ragged peasant army tired of religious persecution and oppressive laws stood to bar the way of thousands of trained Diemed troops, Ruornil decided to blast the oppressors' troops to ashes with a moon laser.

As a sidenote, re-reading the Birthright lore, I'm pleased to note that for its age, the setting has a pleasantly large number of female regents and second-in-commands who show both agency and competence(the topic of Medoere made me think of it, since their canon regent is a female priest of Ruornil).

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
From what we seen in the LP, the Birthright setting is honestly pretty good overall, with good theming and design.

It's just that the video game is a half-finished mess.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Keldulas posted:

From what we seen in the LP, the Birthright setting is honestly pretty good overall, with good theming and design.

It's just that the video game is a half-finished mess.

Much like the setting, unfortunately. And that's despite how drat good the actual books are; the Shadow World gets barely touched at all and was supposed to be a major factor in later writings, as was Aduria and the other near-ish realms that are un-ruled. Of course, that's almost certainly a good thing considering how 90s settings insisted on metaplots that would ruin themselves (Planescape!!!), and it leaves the lands ripe for exploration and establishing new kingdoms in the wilderness/ruins of ancient empires rather than fighting over settled or cursed land.

The game was certainly ambitious, and they doubtless did their best. It's a shame it wasn't better, but it wouldn't have saved the setting even if it was. Still, the relics and adventures are great inspiration for running the actual game, though an artifact that grants an extra domain turn each season would be pretty busted! Most of the relics would be crazy busted, honestly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I think Birthright's setting was planned for some very wide use because I remember seeing the large scale combat stats occasionally pop up in info for other settings, in addition to having it for a bunch of weird stuff like the Machine of Lum the Mad.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Holdings aren't supposed to count towards victory points and don't seem to, but considering everything else about this game... who the gently caress can really say for sure?

On one hand, I could simply be misremembering. On the other hand, I might not. Birthright's gonna Birthright.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Chronische posted:

Much like the setting, unfortunately. And that's despite how drat good the actual books are; the Shadow World gets barely touched at all and was supposed to be a major factor in later writings, as was Aduria and the other near-ish realms that are un-ruled. Of course, that's almost certainly a good thing considering how 90s settings insisted on metaplots that would ruin themselves (Planescape!!!), and it leaves the lands ripe for exploration and establishing new kingdoms in the wilderness/ruins of ancient empires rather than fighting over settled or cursed land.

The game was certainly ambitious, and they doubtless did their best. It's a shame it wasn't better, but it wouldn't have saved the setting even if it was. Still, the relics and adventures are great inspiration for running the actual game, though an artifact that grants an extra domain turn each season would be pretty busted! Most of the relics would be crazy busted, honestly.

Yeah, Birthright also popped up around the time where TSR's market was kind of filled with way too many settings and spin-offs technically using the AD&D ruleset(even a loving Buck Rogers RPG, I think? Or was it Flash Gordon? Something like that), so it never really had the chance it felt like it deserved.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It was Buck Rogers. There were two SSI CRPGs based on it.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There was a Buck Rogers RPG on the Genesis, I played the hell out of it back in the day.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Birthright absolutely came in at the tail end of the TSR Death Spiral, where they were paying out the rear end to warehouse thousands of copies of the Complete Book of Elves and poo poo

Honestly that death spiral was long-running, and while the setting explosion didn't help, it did lead to some folks trying new and innovative things with their settings, from Spelljammer to Dark Sun to Planescape to Birthright

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Part of what I don't get was that Birthright wasn't revived for 4E. The turn to more explicitly grid-based combat and all that would've worked great as a way to revive Birthright's war system.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Part of what I don't get was that Birthright wasn't revived for 4E. The turn to more explicitly grid-based combat and all that would've worked great as a way to revive Birthright's war system.

I expect that was down to the reception for 4e being mixed at best - and that's not a knock on 4e, some folks love it and some folks hate it, but the "shelve all our other plans, we need to get working on 5e ASAP" light was probably going off at WotC

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I expect that was down to the reception for 4e being mixed at best - and that's not a knock on 4e, some folks love it and some folks hate it, but the "shelve all our other plans, we need to get working on 5e ASAP" light was probably going off at WotC

That sounds about right from what I remember. I loved 4th when it came out, but it got a LOT of flak from magic user players some groups for making the game "too boardgame/MMO like", "Non-spellcaster classes are not adhering to reality enough", and "making all the classes the same" despite that most classes either had unique mechanics or were hybrid classes. Later on, once one of the higher-ups changed to someone who had been actively working against 4th from the start, they came out with D&D Essentials, which was 4th, but with most of the non-spellcaster options stripped out. It's a shame, because having a game system that focused on making the combat part of it actually interesting was... actually fun.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that you need to be persistent; they deserve to be preserved. Anything left on the forum will eventually have all of the sound clips, video and images lost. The first two will always be lost on the archive as well because they are externally hosted, but the images will be preserved. Just for reference, the only LPs that you have on the archive are Albion, Betrayal and Wizards & Warriors - that leaves a lot out. I wasn't around for Albion - I should read that one.

Here's hoping poor Baldurk is okay with getting seven archive requests at once.

:v:

In any case, I'm going to take a while to recuperate with Stardew Valley(a charming and decidedly non-jank game I can heartily recommend) before picking up the next game.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Here's hoping poor Baldurk is okay with getting seven archive requests at once.

:v:

In any case, I'm going to take a while to recuperate with Stardew Valley(a charming and decidedly non-jank game I can heartily recommend) before picking up the next game.

Stardew LP when

I preemptively cast my vote for marrying Penny

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Stardew LP when

Doesn"t sound like much of a dowry.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Stardew LP when

Never played it, all I know is that it has an actual "big titty goth gf" who eats rocks. Oh, and that it's supposed to be really good.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

Never played it, all I know is that it has an actual "big titty goth gf" who eats rocks. Oh, and that it's supposed to be really good.

So, the developer only gave Abigail, the goth girl, one line for items in her "Like" category:

"Hey, how'd you know I was hungry? This looks delicious!"

Items in her "Like" category, in addition to food items:

Gems, quartz crystals, whole sunflowers.

It leads to some comedy, sometimes. :v:

Stardew LP when

As much as I love Stardew Valley, I can't really imagine LP'ing it, there's really no space to... gently caress around. No wild glitches, no real displays of game mastery, very few hidden things or anything of the sort... I feel like the only way to make that interesting would be either if it entered deep fanfic territory of adding content(either with mods or just writing) or someone dismantling the actual farming in the game or something with real agronomic knowledge.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

So, the developer only gave Abigail, the goth girl, one line for items in her "Like" category:

"Hey, how'd you know I was hungry? This looks delicious!"

Items in her "Like" category, in addition to food items:

Gems, quartz crystals, whole sunflowers.

It leads to some comedy, sometimes. :v:

Doesn't she also ask you to bring her back a snack when you go to the cave after you marry her, or was that a mod someone made? And how is the game on same-sex relationships?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

Doesn't she also ask you to bring her back a snack when you go to the cave after you marry her, or was that a mod someone made? And how is the game on same-sex relationships?

I can't recall that particular interaction, and as far as I can tell the game doesn't care what gender you are, every partner is bisexual/pansexual in interest. I think the only way they're treated different is that for same-sex relationships, getting a kid is specified as an adoption.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Really wish I could run a birthright campaign in 5th edition. I know for a fact some of my old university buddies would get a kick out of leading a kingdom.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I can't recall that particular interaction, and as far as I can tell the game doesn't care what gender you are, every partner is bisexual/pansexual in interest. I think the only way they're treated different is that for same-sex relationships, getting a kid is specified as an adoption.

Some of the characters have one or two extra lines for it too, which I really appreciate, instead of just having a bunch of gender neutral dialogue. That being said, there are only a few romantic cut scenes and lines per character, it isn't a huge focus.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Really wish I could run a birthright campaign in 5th edition. I know for a fact some of my old university buddies would get a kick out of leading a kingdom.

You can, if you insist! You can use the Seed of Wars system and scrape off the already intentionally generic names, replacing it with the Birthright setting bloodlines and names as appropriate. Birthright.net might also have 5e conversions already, as they've been active since it was still an AOL message board. Personally, I think you can't go wrong just using cut-to-size AD&D, but options are available if that's not your thing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Chronische posted:

You can, if you insist! You can use the Seed of Wars system and scrape off the already intentionally generic names, replacing it with the Birthright setting bloodlines and names as appropriate. Birthright.net might also have 5e conversions already, as they've been active since it was still an AOL message board. Personally, I think you can't go wrong just using cut-to-size AD&D, but options are available if that's not your thing.

As much as I have a fondness for some parts of AD&D, I absolutely understand why that's a weird brain disease and why it's not for everyone. The GM has to do a ton of work patching in the holes in the system that they left to instead add in a random dungeon generator no one ever used(aside from Dungeon Robber, anyway...) and an intentionally crippled class design system intended to always give you worse results than the base game classes.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
I played the origial game as a teenager and for some reason, I remember playing as Rhuobhe Manslayer, perhaps through a cheat or mod of some kind.

Not sure if it was much different than playing a normal realm, though!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

12Apr1961 posted:

I played the origial game as a teenager and for some reason, I remember playing as Rhuobhe Manslayer, perhaps through a cheat or mod of some kind.

Not sure if it was much different than playing a normal realm, though!

I would expect it wasn't, really the only "unique" mechanics to a given realm are, as far as I can tell:

Adventures involving nearby realms are more likely
Some nations have starting provinces that produce Dwarf or Elf troops rather than just Human troops

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

4e was pretty successful (the meme that it was not is perpetuated by grogs with an axe to grind) but it suffered from product saturation later in life and some very unfortunate deaths among critical personnel on the web development side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Smoke weed, worship Satan, work the fields, maybe save the world.