Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ape!!! posted:

I played a bunch of Ironsworn with my buddies but now I'm doing Starforged solo. I'm sure the answer is "Do whatever you want!" but what am I supposed to do while I'm playing? Is this all in my head, am I talking out loud, writing the adventure down, something else? I started my character in Stargazer and i've been trying to write down what I'm thinking, but I find myself getting hung up on writing and editing what I write.

I tend to write and edit myself to death, so I have been either timing the bits that I write or limiting them to 3 sentences/lines or so per thing-that-happens.

It sorta works. Part of it is, I just like writing, but I have to balance that against enjoying a game that is actually progressing.

What's working for me at the moment (we'll see longer term) is integrating a present tense, 3rd person interactive fiction voice. The few IF games I've played don't just drone on, they have to be short and to the point, they're "aware" of a certain textual economy, like how much room their text takes up on a screen, and only mentioning what would be of interest to a motivated player. I'm also conscious of channeling the old Choose Your Own Adventure books I read as a kid.

So like, instead of a soliloquy about the weather, it's just like, "It's sunny and cool. The flowers nod in the breeze. Jim notices a door in a tree, painted in a chipped and faded blue." It's just like, "scene setting, mood setting, thing I can take action upon, go."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thirded, this is great, mindful, and the absolute baseline of consideration that games should show when they want to only depict the cool fun bits of historical settings.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Short answer, it's up to you.

If I were traveling alone, I might choose to take a different route to avoid the raiders. Maybe simulate with an extra stop/minor challenge along the way, since you'd be traveling a rougher path.

I don't think I'd necessarily increase the danger level of a raider party, if I encountered one, seems too punitive for a weak hit.

If your character is disheartened by this, you might take a spirit hit.

Or you could just make a note, that in case you encounter raiders, there are going to be more than the usual number. Or greater chance of an encounter.

Just knowing this information can color a future roll or encounter.

Or, you may want to notify a local village, give them the map you've found.

Or, no effect at all! Either ignore the effect of the weak hit or use it solely for flavor. When I get stuck on interpreting, sometimes I'll re roll, sometimes I'll just move on.