Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Despite being founding archetypes of Western theological and literary canon, the Olympians of ancient Greece were just awful, absolute dogshit. Not only morally abhorrent even by the standards of their day, but frankly bad at being the god of the thing they're in charge of. Let's run down the list:

Zeus:
Rapist. Just a full on flat out rapist, like holy loving poo poo. Zeus sets the standard that would be passed down through all the civilizations of the ages of "guy in charge fucks his underlings whether they want it or not."

Hera:
Despite being the goddess in charge of marriage, she has the shittiest marriage in all creation, and whenever her husband's eye wanders, does HE ever get any flack? No, she gets all victim-blamey about it and takes out her frustrations on the random mortal that Zeus just raped, cursing them with some weird fate worse than death. Despite being a goddess of motherhood, she hates her OWN kids more than almost anyone.

Poseidon:
Poseidon is like Zeus but even more impulsive and mean about it. Just as rapey but with even less finesse about it. Holds a grudge for loving ever and likes toying with people about it. Likes creating monsters and siccing them on people like a bored kid playing SimCity. gently caress the ocean.

Demeter:
Happy harvest goddess, right? Until she gets empty nest syndrome and turns so frigid she causes a famine and kills half the world. Also set a baby on fire once.

Apollo:
God of rationality, medicine and music. Somehow always makes bad decisions and solves all his problems with violent brutality. He's only god of music because the one time someone played an instrument better than him, he just skinned them alive. Handsome, but with such a bad personality that women would rather turn themselves into trees than let themselves be hosed by him.

Artemis:
Goddess of the hunt. Probably a more impressive portfolio back before her portfolio was dominated by drunk rednecks. Also had a dude turned into a stag and torn apart by dogs for seeing her naked once.

Ares:
Just loving pathetic. Despite being the god of war and martial prowess, never wins a fight ever and gets dunked on by literally everyone, including that time during the Trojan War he got stabbed by a regular-rear end mortal and cried to his dad about it.

Athena:
The smart one, except she gets there by tearing down everyone else. Goddess of internalized misogyny, turned a lady into a spider because she weaved a tapestry about how lovely all the gods are, and made Medusa hideous for the temerity to be raped by a different god in her temple.

Hephaestus:
God of nerd incels. Had to buy his hot wife from the other gods, and she cheats on him all the time. Once tried to rape Athena, got his rear end kicked, jerked off while crying, and his discarded cum-sock would go on to found the city of Athens.

Aphrodite:
Literally insane. Fucks everyone but her husband. Causes wars for shits n giggles. If you're celibate she will have you torn apart by bears, but also if her kid Eros wants a relationship she will lock his rear end up like Rapunzel because she's also, paradoxically, an overprotective prude.

Hermes:
God of thieves, travelers, and commerce. Despite all that, has barely any interesting myths because it's hard to be a dashing rogue when you're omnipotent. God of being a 1%er slumming it.

Dionysus:
In theory god of booze, in reality god of terrible ideas. Will do horrifying things to you for little or no reason, even by the standards of other Greek Gods. You will die, torn limb from limb by your own family members, simultaneously laughing and screaming in a pool of your own vomit and blood.

Honorary mentions
Hades:
Rules the underworld (thus not technically an Olympian, doesn't live on Mt Olympus because he kills the party vibe too hard) and is a bit too inventive about his eternal Hell punishments. Also got married via abduction, but Zeus signed off on it which makes it... better?

Hestia:
Domestic goddess of the hearth and home. A genuinely pleasant goddess, does her job without any rape or murder or bestiality. Which is probably why she retired and gave up her seat on Olympus to Dionysus, because gently caress hanging out these nutjobs if you don't absolutely have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
A lot of mythology makes a lot of sense once you realize it is in the context of everybody is either a drunk rear end in a top hat, horny idiot, or preferably both at the same time

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
probably Mesperyian

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pipiadudu God of your posting op

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Hercules fucks

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I dunno how it can be anyone other than Zeus op.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

in my house we only refer to the gods by their roman names

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Hades is a little whining shithead because he's all WAHHHH WE DREW LOTS AND I GOT STUCK IN THE UNDERWORLD and so to compensate he steals Demeter's daughter because why not? What better way to get revenge on your brothers than to steal your niece?

Also his boss fight in Hades can blow me god I hate that fight

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

in my house we only refer to the gods by their roman names

Janus voice: "I ... Did actually see that coming sorry I can't help it"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bilius the god of hangovers

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Farticus

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
twerkules

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

they all pretty much suck poo poo op

killing them all in GoW 3 owns

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OP seems suspiciously Titan-ish...

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Aphroditus :fap:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Credit where it's due, Dionysus and Posidon are at least good at their jobs given they're the personification of their domain ramped up to 11.

Unlike Zeus. When have you ever seen a storm get someone pregnant? Hell, for that matter how often did he even throw his vaunted lightningbolts? At least his leadership of the gods was a pretty good representation of workplace management.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Lawman 0 posted:

I dunno how it can be anyone other than Zeus op.

Rape Man Worst Man, OP.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Cybele was pretty demanding, self castration and all that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

Ares:
Just loving pathetic. Despite being the god of war and martial prowess, never wins a fight ever and gets dunked on by literally everyone, including that time during the Trojan War he got stabbed by a regular-rear end mortal and cried to his dad about it.

largely the point, op. i can understand people who've been in battles not wanting to glorify the god of carnage too much tbh

also a considerable number of dionysus/herakles civiliser myths are basically them going round cleaning up the psycho failgod's psycho failchildren. kinda makes sense that the city-states that tied themselves to these guys needed a patsy.

anyway zeus is worst

e: lol the mods closed the thread without the poll

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I always liked the idea that the story of Hades and Persephone is just her crazy mother's side of the story like from an estranged parent forum when what really happened was Persephone just wanted to get away from her. Not the best foundation for a marriage, but when your mom is so controlling that she plunges the entire world in a cold darkness because she doesn't like your boyfriend, what are you gonna do?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ishtar has a nice gate

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Random Stranger posted:

I always liked the idea that the story of Hades and Persephone is just her crazy mother's side of the story like from an estranged parent forum when what really happened was Persephone just wanted to get away from her. Not the best foundation for a marriage, but when your mom is so controlling that she plunges the entire world in a cold darkness because she doesn't like your boyfriend, what are you gonna do?

I always liked the interpretation that it was a rebellious teenager type thing going after an older dude on a motorcycle chariot rather than an abduction.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Sterculius

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Those gods were just fine before they went on the internet, then their whole brains broke. They still post but i'm not gonna doxx them

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo the Greek Gods are like the funniest because, at least to me, it seems like most religions tend to portray gods as enlightened beings. Not necessarily perfect or all knowing, but at least operating on a level above humans. But the Greek Gods are every bit as petty, vindictive, vain, and just generally lovely as human beings are. Like someone just picked a number of everyday human jerks at random, gave them immortality and some powers, and there you go there's the gods lol.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
There's tons of old religions with a pantheon of dumbasses

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's old timey telenovela. Of course they are all terrible.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bilius the god of hangovers

Don't forget the Oh

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

They are all very sexy in that Hades game

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Meme Poker Party posted:

imo the Greek Gods are like the funniest because, at least to me, it seems like most religions tend to portray gods as enlightened beings. Not necessarily perfect or all knowing, but at least operating on a level above humans. But the Greek Gods are every bit as petty, vindictive, vain, and just generally lovely as human beings are. Like someone just picked a number of everyday human jerks at random, gave them immortality and some powers, and there you go there's the gods lol.

Like 99% of religions have gently caress up Gods and most of them suck or lose badly in some way

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Silenus? Big fat old drunk

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Thinking on it a minute, I think Ares, despite being a gently caress-up, might be one of the less horrible ones. At least he's the more feminist of the male Olympians. He's a huge mama's boy despite Hera hating him, as far as I know he never raped anyone, Aphrodite seems to genuinely like him, he's a doting and protective dad to his various daughters (including like half the Amazons). Yeah he's kinda violent, but aside from that whole Cadmus thing, I can't think of a time he was like, an exceptionally huge dick.

Yeah he never gets to win fights, but I guess when you're the god of soldier-level combat you kinda HAVE to struggle a little to be relatable. Soldiers aren't gonna pray to Athena for their distant general to come up with some brilliant plan while they're in the thick of it getting butchered. You pray to Ares to help you see another sunrise, and that guy sympathizes

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm a Greek god oh, look at me I'm shooting arrows at a city and starting a war.

Oh look at me, I'm getting mad about an apple and starting a war.

I'm sucking my own dick and starting a war

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The best thing about the greek gods is the they're public domain and you can make up anything you want about them and no one can say it isn't canon. I have my own OG called Testicles, but please do not steal

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Life as a Greek woman must suck because every goose, bull, or tree could be Zeus.

Meanwhile Greek men have all sorts of gay orgies portrayed on pottery and poo poo so they had it made.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Apollo is the Ben Shapiro of gods, in that he has a reputation as being clever and rational but is really an unfuckable weirdo who never does or says anything smart

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

relatable

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Apollo is the Ben Shapiro of gods, in that he has a reputation as being clever and rational but is really an unfuckable weirdo who never does or says anything smart

He's not even the best musician. He's sitting there with his dinky little harp and Ares is rocking out and getting famous for kicking rad ostinatos and little tuba solos.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
pan was the only god that ever actually died and it feels like you gotta be a real dumbass to let that happen but he also loved to party so actually he's good. I dont know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018