Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Peggy Edson posted:

Kronos isn't a god. You moron. You loving buffoon!

the titans were still gods they just came before the olympians jfc just let a god cut his dads balls off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the coolest titan was iapetus, imo

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the Greeks named him after on of Saturns moons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

But that's all of them

Untrue. Dionisius only parties consensually.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The coolest titan is Derrick Henry.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Going to say that Auðumbla was cooler. Licked rocks, created gods.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Hephaestus knew that his wife Aphrodite was cheating on him with his brother Ares, so when the lovers were in bed he threw an indestructible net over them to trap them in bed, then ran to tell the other gods to come see and laugh at the embarrassed lovers. The gods came, and they laughed... at Hephaestus, the god of cucks.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

hey guys look at my wife and bull loving haha isn't that pathetic... haha...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
:rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0zN0VjA3As

This is canonical in Greek mythology; Apollo and Dionysus were frontin', like how the two parts of your brain don't get along sometimes, and the world was saved from their fuckery by a time-travelling nerd who named their spaceship after a SyFy TV show.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 13, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

This is legit the dumbest, like, elementary school level one-upsmanship god. Like the ancient Hebrews were like "Oh yeah? Well my god is so powerful he can see everything at once, and do anything, and all the things your gods can do times infinity!!" They even mention the other gods and evidently also believed them to be real, and were just like "Nah but gently caress those gods, our god is the best and is better, and more powerfuler than they are!"

You may not know this but when you're trying to prove you're the best culture going, this is what you do.
Not go "oh sorry we conquered you actually your gods are actually more powerful than ours. Folks let's remain culturally centralized here but uh, man have you SEEN these other folks gods?"

It just wouldn't make sense

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Unfortunately, there's Aura

tldr: Aura is hanging out with Artemis and makes fun of her boobs or something, so Artemis asks Nemesis to visit some terrible vengeance upon her. Nemesis asks Eros to shoot Dionysus with one of those dumb love arrows, then he drugs and rapes her, and it turns out being raped by the God of Madness isn't good for your mental wellbeing, because when she gives birth to twins later she eats one of them.

Now the fact that he was supernaturally compelled to do this as part of a convoluted revenge scheme where he's the last link of a conspiracy chain of three other gods might excuse it somewhat, but it's still pretty messed up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That is why you never make fun of an incel's boobs.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

EorayMel posted:

A lot of mythology makes a lot of sense once you realize it is in the context of everybody is either a drunk rear end in a top hat, horny idiot, or preferably both at the same time

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mega64 posted:

That is why you never make fun of an incel's boobs.

Artemis is firmly volcel

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

The Moon Monster posted:

FWIW the Greek religious establishment did portray gods as sober, divine beings that were above the follies of petty mortals. Once people stopped actually worshipping them the "frat house on a cloud" portrayal from drama/poetry survived better because it's more interesting.

Funny thing is, under the very concept of a god, both can be true. I think of this quote.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

maybe there's different kinds of god-like entities and some exist in a state that's more relatable from a human pov and others are so far removed from our experience as to be impossible to comprehend??????

maybe the pantheons of old were a mix of non-transcendent dieties in varying states of awareness of their own place in the universe, some of which were very petty or otherwise lovely???

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Big Beef City posted:

You may not know this but when you're trying to prove you're the best culture going, this is what you do.
Not go "oh sorry we conquered you actually your gods are actually more powerful than ours. Folks let's remain culturally centralized here but uh, man have you SEEN these other folks gods?"

I’m sorry I didn’t know this was SOP for conquering, I don’t conquer and exterminate other cultures very much. I therefore must defer to your wisdom and experience.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You try telling that to Orpheus

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Don't his parties involve large muscular drunk women tearing people apart

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

You say that, but the Romans were really loving good at conquering, and they were less about belittling foreign gods and more about syncretism and incorporating other pantheons as just all being the same deities that went by different names, like Hathor is just another name for Juno or Wotan is really just what the Gauls call Mercury. Hell, the Mongols conquered the poo poo out of people and they never cared what god you worshipped

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Colonel Cancer posted:

Now this thread is going places.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

quote:

These scenes show the maenads in their frenzy running in the forests, often tearing to pieces any animal they happen to come across.
Also Orpheus. Many such cases!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Orpheus was a whiny twat, the Hades game got that part right for sure.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Colonel Cancer posted:

Snu snu?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Pluto, couldn't even stay a real planet. :(

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Amazons! Yes! Lets party with Amazons!

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Orpheus FUCKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbi2sMl50oA

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

Hell, the Mongols conquered the poo poo out of people and they never cared what god you worshipped

Shut your philosophy hole and pay your taxes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Szyznyk posted:

Shut your philosophy hole and pay your taxes.

Isn't that what Jesus said about the Romans?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
The Titans, however, are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlcFYbgQyEQ

(There's a video where the song is clearer, but it lacks the WONDERFUL recorded off a TV video of the product)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Asterite34 posted:

You say that, but the Romans were really loving good at conquering, and they were less about belittling foreign gods and more about syncretism and incorporating other pantheons as just all being the same deities that went by different names, like Hathor is just another name for Juno or Wotan is really just what the Gauls call Mercury. Hell, the Mongols conquered the poo poo out of people and they never cared what god you worshipped
Which kind of leads to how St. Paul converted Athenians. He was walking around, found a shrine to an unknown god, and started telling everybody, "Hey, this is my God! The creator of the universe and savior! Worship him!"

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don’t recall them being described as muscular or large, they just had superhuman strength because they were all hopped up on Dionysus’ divine madness. And wine.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

The Titans, however, are the best.

There's a reason my favorite football team is the Titans.

Living in Tennessee is only 95% of it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Asterite34 posted:

Ares:
Just loving pathetic. Despite being the god of war and martial prowess, never wins a fight ever and gets dunked on by literally everyone, including that time during the Trojan War he got stabbed by a regular-rear end mortal and cried to his dad about it.
Calling Ares' defeat at the hands of Diomedes in the peak of his aristeia while Athena is guiding him "getting stabbed by a regular-rear end mortal" is like saying losing to one of the Iron Chefs is "getting outdone in the kitchen by a short order cook" or losing to Kasparov is "getting schooled in chess by some tyro."

You're also leaving out the fact that Ares almost took the day for the Trojans before this, running roughshod over the Greeks, which would have made the Iliad a longish poem instead of an epic.

Please note I'm not stanning for Ares; I'm all about the real hero of the Iliad, my boy the big D.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Admiralty Flag posted:

Please note I'm not stanning for Ares; I'm all about the real hero of the Iliad, my boy the big D.

Deeznutsicles

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Isn't that what Jesus said about the Romans?

Render unto Caesar. Only Jesus wouldn’t shut his philosophy hole and it’s lucky for him it wasn’t the Mongols that got him and played polo with his head.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

honestly i hate hera's kids too so she gets a pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Call Your Grandma posted:

honestly i hate hera's kids too so she gets a pass

aside from Athena I think they are all Hera's kids

That's a good punk band name: Hera's Kids