Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How do I know what mailbox password items are safe to sell for silver? I need another 500k or so to get my sawmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arcturas posted:

How do I know what mailbox password items are safe to sell for silver? I need another 500k or so to get my sawmill.

Read "Don't sell it" in the library.

Generally, if you can't get it again easily, hold on to it just in case.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Arcturas posted:

Klungar posted:

I’ll eventually update the OP with little stuff like this, but tip for new folks: when you hit Level 20 Farming, you’ll unlock Mailbox Passwords at the Post Office. By entering a password, you can earn lots of neat stuff as a new player, ranging from stuff you’ll need for quests, some bunches of Silver and Gold, and items from past seasonal events. One of these, Candy (from the Halloween event) will sell for a huge chunk of change, and can make a huge difference in getting your Sawmill up and running and starting your Silver engine running. Normally it is not advised to sell items like that that are hard to acquire and may be needed for future quests, but getting the Sawmill as early as possible is so important, and the Candy is relatively common as far as event items go, that I’m hard pressed telling anyone to hold on to it for a hypothetical when it is so useful in the present. All of the Mailbox Passwords can be found in the Library, check out the Mailbox Passwords and Spoilers pages for all of them.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also you can click on any item and it will tell you if it there are quests that need it. Says 'like 'requests remaining' or something

I assume if it doesn't list any then it doesn't have any.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Agent355 posted:

Also you can click on any item and it will tell you if it there are quests that need it. Says 'like 'requests remaining' or something

I assume if it doesn't list any then it doesn't have any.

That said, requests are regularly added so something may become required in the future. Once I got to a point where silver wasn’t a hugely limiting factor I stopped selling almost everything except a few high value things from the sawmill and get rich quick guides.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Finally got the corn rune. Feels nice being able to progress through the storyline again.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The event bonus just ticked over to 35%, if you’ve been stashing Inferno Spheres, now is probably your time to sell, I doubt we are hitting 38% before reset tonight.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just bought the ninth row of crops and my farming level jumped from 81 to 97.

Moldy Sausage
Oct 5, 2004
Where am I going?

I had been ignoring looking up the mailbox passwords because they felt like cheating but this post convinced me to just go ahead and use them. If the answers are literally in the in game guide its probably fair game. While its kind of nice that after scrimping and saving for every thousand silver the whole game you suddenly get like 800k dropped in your lap, it does feel like this breaks the early game. I Wonder why the devs decided to implement it this way.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Klungar posted:

The event bonus just ticked over to 35%, if you’ve been stashing Inferno Spheres, now is probably your time to sell, I doubt we are hitting 38% before reset tonight.

Hell yeah I just sold all mine for 13.2bn.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Sawmill silver is great. Waking up to an inventory full of wood and boards to craft sturdy shields feels nice.
Just not sure at what point I should stop pushing most silver into the sawmill and start fixing up my orchards and buying more fields.

I am at 88 boards/hour and 70/wood hour now.
I‘ve got 20 fields, 100 chickens and 24 cows. The orchards are at 20 trees each.

What are good ratios to aim for now? Upgrade everything until the silver cost reaches 150k or 200k or?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

I'm getting bored with manual fishing and I need to catch golden fish...

For reference I just got my 10th Gold Sea Bass after a 702 streak. It seems 500-700 is my range of manual fishing attempts for the 10 gold fish in each area.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Sawmill silver is great. Waking up to an inventory full of wood and boards to craft sturdy shields feels nice.
Just not sure at what point I should stop pushing most silver into the sawmill and start fixing up my orchards and buying more fields.

I am at 88 boards/hour and 70/wood hour now.
I‘ve got 20 fields, 100 chickens and 24 cows. The orchards are at 20 trees each.

What are good ratios to aim for now? Upgrade everything until the silver cost reaches 150k or 200k or?

A good rule of thumb for the early game is keeping Boards and Wood/hr at half your max inventory, so 100/hr with the default of 200 inventory slots. That’ll change eventually but you can start branching out to other things once you’ve reached that point. When you unlock Quarry and Hay Field, try and level those up such that the ratios line up nicely for what you need to craft your Fancy Pipes and Lanterns. Orchard you should shoot for hitting your max inventory, taking into account the Forester perks. Chickens/Cows/Pigs max out at 250, but you don’t need to worry about hitting that until much later. Vineyard target used to be 400 grapes/day to be able to craft 2 Grape Juice, but 800 might be the new target with the new Grape Juice Fountain perk that was introduced recently.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've mostly just been using my resources to complete requests, but now all my requests require farming so there is nothing to do but wait for those. So now I'm earning energy and wood/straw per hour and stuff and don't really know what to do with them.

I guess I should be using them to level up my poo poo? Whats an efficient way to turn resources into exp to level up crafting or w/e?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I've mostly just been using my resources to complete requests, but now all my requests require farming so there is nothing to do but wait for those. So now I'm earning energy and wood/straw per hour and stuff and don't really know what to do with them.

I guess I should be using them to level up my poo poo? Whats an efficient way to turn resources into exp to level up crafting or w/e?

The Sawmill Silver guide in the Library handles it pretty well, but except in very rare circumstances, you want to just focus on Crafting the things that give you the most silver: Iron Cups, Sturdy Shields, Fancy Pipes, Lanterns. For a good chunk of the game, all you need to craft is Sturdy Shields and Fancy Pipes, and keep upgrading your Sawmill/Quarry as needed to be able to craft as many of those as you can.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I really enjoy this game but manual fishing is the worst on PC.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Vasler posted:

I really enjoy this game but manual fishing is the worst on PC.

THE WORST. As you imply, it’s much better on mobile, so there are often times I’ll be playing on PC and then take out my phone to do some manual fishing, before going back to playing on PC.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
About to hit 99 exploration, i have a million stamina, just need to get off my butt and spam.

Not sure what i should focus on on all the 4x99 unlocks. Thinking the greater capybara as it gives Grab Bag 7, which is free gold fish.

I hate manual fishing even with the meal worm and am really dreading the Tower quest that needs 150 of each golden fish.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Ineptitude posted:

About to hit 99 exploration, i have a million stamina, just need to get off my butt and spam.

Not sure what i should focus on on all the 4x99 unlocks. Thinking the greater capybara as it gives Grab Bag 7, which is free gold fish.

I hate manual fishing even with the meal worm and am really dreading the Tower quest that needs 150 of each golden fish.

I just hit 99 yesterday and yeah, bought the capybara for the same reason. gently caress that quest

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
For those just starting, Ancient Coins are listed by your silver and gold, but they're an item not a currency so they're limited by your item storage total. Pay attention when turning in chores as they reward a decent amount of them everyday.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What do I do with my spare Ancient Coins if I'm near the cap? Give them away? Void the rest and spend 'em all on Wednesday?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Quackles posted:

What do I do with my spare Ancient Coins if I'm near the cap? Give them away? Void the rest and spend 'em all on Wednesday?

Spend them on Borgen’s wheel.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

And make sure you aren't maxed on lemonade, orange juice, nets, or ancient coins already when spinning the wheel. You can also use ancient coins for more vault guesses, which is needed occasionally, or a whole new vault which seems like a waste. Also you can toss them in the well but only 3 or 4 per day.

But yeah I do have the problem of figuring out how to spend coins before collecting chores more often than not.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hooray, more corn jail in the Whispering Creek questline!

And it also looks like I'll be dumping bacon down the well the next couple days for leaves. Guess I won't be getting the gel for Buddy's event quest in time to take advantage of the event bonus.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Hi new players! I’m AReallyCoolDog in game — happy to accept friends and help with stuff.

I’m at 98/99/99/91 and just slowly grinding away at that final farming level and the slow, slow crawl of exploring.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
Today is steak day! Buy it

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
Really enjoying this so far - in as Jayme!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any recs for what to spend money on once my sawmill/orchard/quarry/hay field is maxed? I’ve gotten the 100k storehouse/farm size upgrades already, full inventory of steak, and still have like $130k left.

It seems like I could do pig pen/mills, but I’m not really sure how valuable those are. I know eventually pig’s seem to be part of the late game equation but idk how important. I could also upgrade and or get more pets, but idk if those are super key either. I was also thinking about increasing grape production? I’m at like 100/day so having enough for daily grape juice seems like a reasonable upgrade as well.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Upgrade your storehouse as much as possible pretty much ASAP, it gives you more inventory which is the ultimate enabler for making more money.

E: pigpen and mills are absolutely late game stuff, you can ignore them until then.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Do you think it’s worth saving for the billion upgrade? I could - I think it would take like a bit over a week probably. If there’s nothing else which is going to rly be increasing my silver income I could just save for that.

Oh also important clarification- I meant I had $130 million left, not thousand ***

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

tildes posted:

Do you think it’s worth saving for the billion upgrade? I could - I think it would take like a bit over a week probably. If there’s nothing else which is going to rly be increasing my silver income I could just save for that.

Oh also important clarification- I meant I had $130 million left, not thousand ***

The billion upgrade also gives you a ton of farm exp. I saved my purchase for one of the events with bonus exp and it took my from the low 80s to mid 90s if I remember right. Easily at least 10 levels I think.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rafikki posted:

The billion upgrade also gives you a ton of farm exp. I saved my purchase for one of the events with bonus exp and it took my from the low 80s to mid 90s if I remember right. Easily at least 10 levels I think.

Yeah I did the billion farm row last night and it took me from mid/high 80s to 97

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Good news for people who don‘t like manual fishing. I got high and ended up with a 906 streak just now.
I got 27 spare gold jacks I can hand out.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Tahirovic posted:

Good news for people who don‘t like manual fishing. I got high and ended up with a 906 streak just now.
I got 27 spare gold jacks I can hand out.

Can’t mail gold fish 🙁

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

rafikki posted:

Can’t mail gold fish 🙁

Several of them you can, Goldjack just doesn't happen to be one of them.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

tildes posted:

Do you think it’s worth saving for the billion upgrade?

If you mean the storehouse then yeah that is a great way to spend your first bil.

Your first 3 bil should go towards storehouse, crop row and Tree Frog lvl 6.
If you had the bil NOW i would recommend the crop row upgrade, for the large amount of bonus xp, but for now i’d wait with it, maybe even until the next xp event. Farming level isn’t all that useful.
(That being said, the best source of general farm xp is the daily 2/4 uses of grape juice -> beets, which requires level 90 so getting to farming 90 so you can do that daily is good)

Tree Frog is a great help in unlocking the lvl 70 exploration zone (gold leaf and feather) which in turn is needed to unlock lvl 70 fishing, a GREAT source of silver.
If you already have the required gold items (100 each iirc?) you can hold off for a while.

Storage cap is incredibly helpful and important as higher cap has a snowball effect on income.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Yes hello I have joined this friendly little grind party, handle there is same as username here. I feel like I've made excellent starting progress due to this event, I started two days ago and I already have my sawmill up and running. Thanks to goons for good advice, curious to see where this goes.,

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I successfully sat on my hands and got distracted by work enough to avoid buying the 10B Farm Row way ahead of where you'd normally want to buy it if only to get the extra bonus XP but set me back heavily on Storehouse/Pets/Tower progress. Hopefully I don't end up regretting missing out on that 1.8B XP later!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Goodbye event. That was some amazing leveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It's going to feel weird now that the event is over. I joined during it, so I'm used to the bonus XP.