Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Whatever they are doing to try and fix it certainly isn’t working so far, that’s for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah it's kind of a bummer, but also good, I play less and donate more stuff, and let craftworks do all the mastery work for me.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

It's just going to keep getting worse and worse, there's nothing they can do to reduce lag with the constant influx of new players

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Beasteh posted:

It's just going to keep getting worse and worse, there's nothing they can do to reduce lag with the constant influx of new players

This depends on what they are doing on the backend. A lot of this game isn't necessary to be one giant monolithic system. Players are, generally speaking, their own isolated sets of resources. Sure there are stats and important information which go across farms through systems like chat, but that isn't important for day to day stability. It seems like in the past their design decisions were monolithic databases, process-per-zone, and single serialized processes for every player in the game. (Think: Fishing - when a specific zone has a special, that one zone becomes unusable but others often work. There is no need for this. Fishing can be scaled out as far as it needs to be so long as a single player is never allowed to fish more than one time before the previous fishing call completes. Daily refresh is similar - it happens to everyone roughly in order.)

As long as you have a system where per-player actions are row-lockable and atomic you can scale these interactions out broadly. This allows you to process more data simultaneously by effectively sharding out where a given player database is stored.

All of this has a cost though - especially if their previous design decisions allowed them to make assumptions in their code around where and how various data is interacted with in the system. They have the cost of removing tight couplings, integrating the assumptions into code based guardrails, and then moving the actually processes around. This takes time and energy. Then you have a codebase which can scale out, great, that costs money. In a cloud environment that can be an astronomical amount of money.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
They're likely to do a valentines day xp boost event, right? I'm about to hit level 90 cooking and want to hold off on the new oven assuming there will be something in a few days.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

They're likely to do a valentines day xp boost event, right? I'm about to hit level 90 cooking and want to hold off on the new oven assuming there will be something in a few days.

I would think so yes.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
There needs to be a quest to collect these guys

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Is there anything before level 92 crafting (large nets) that speeds up fishing? I have reinforced netting, but fishing still takes me at least a minute per 15 valentines cards I make, and it's driving me nuts.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Griddle of Love posted:

Is there anything before level 92 crafting (large nets) that speeds up fishing? I have reinforced netting, but fishing still takes me at least a minute per 15 valentines cards I make, and it's driving me nuts.

Sea Pincher Special. Need some? What's your IGN?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

H110Hawk posted:

Sea Pincher Special. Need some? What's your IGN?

Sounds cool (if a bit stressful with the timer). I don't have cooking yet myself, so i would appreciate it.

Griddle Of Love

PS to All the lovely and generous goons who have been force feeding me orange juice for two months I say thanks, and feel free to take the foot off the gas, I don't currently do enough exploring to use up all the stamina, despite having plenty of apple cider.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Griddle of Love posted:

Sounds cool (if a bit stressful with the timer). I don't have cooking yet myself, so i would appreciate it.

It's all good. I have 85 (well, 65 now :v: ) and pop one anytime I'm going to cast even a couple of nets. Once you get to large nets and the large net launcher your life gets MUCH easier. I tossed 8 more in the oven as whatever I happened to be cooking finished. Don't be afraid to consume easily made meals, you only really need to plan cookies, spooky pie, and the pet one if you were able to get any whenever they came out.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
frozen crop drop rates are too low and it’s bumming me out

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

kaptainkaffeine posted:

frozen crop drop rates are too low and it’s bumming me out

I use my grape juice on the cabbages, breakfast boost for the peas, and hope for the others. Am on Quest 5, maybe there's another hundred to go.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
It goes to 7, but 6 is the last part that requires frozen crops. 7 asks for 1000 peppers and the award includes a banana and 5 borgen bucks.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it’s not really all that worth it but I did get it finished yesterday so now I’m just having a little break, growing corn and making pies.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

New tower levels are up. Level 200 has 100x void bags along with Oj and an unusual gem which gives an additional 2500 inventory space when activated.

Also mailbox sale!

hambeet fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 13, 2024

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
At level 225 each level requires 2 MMs each which is kinda lame. And now I have to MM Iron cups.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I should not have given Cecil 5T silver last week lol lmao

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Welp, got up to 220 before hitting a MM I didn’t have yet. Green jellyfish which I apparently haven’t even GMed yet.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
That level 200 artifact boost was nice!
But I'm closing in on my first 1tril, so I don't want to blast my way through a bunch of tower levels before doing something more important with that cash. The conventional wisdom is to boost the storehouse growth to +18/day, I think the other option that's a feasible choice is the farm field upgrade to another row for 48 crop spots? Is there another 1tril option to consider?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Stuck at 222 with swordfish. Wow that was an expensive 20 odd floors.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Me too - don't worry, level 222 pays for itself after only a brief 66 days of playing!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Spamo posted:

That level 200 artifact boost was nice!
But I'm closing in on my first 1tril, so I don't want to blast my way through a bunch of tower levels before doing something more important with that cash. The conventional wisdom is to boost the storehouse growth to +18/day, I think the other option that's a feasible choice is the farm field upgrade to another row for 48 crop spots? Is there another 1tril option to consider?

Crop row is the pro 1T move in my opinion. I would do that well before tower level 203. (You get a ton of stamina if you need it at like 201/202.)

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Anyone hit Tower 250? If the artifact isn't worth it I'll probably hold off.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005

koshmar posted:

Anyone hit Tower 250? If the artifact isn't worth it I'll probably hold off.

I got to 239...haven't MM'd Orange Juice. Looks like I'll have to work on Lemonade and Black Powder to get further.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

H110Hawk posted:

Crop row is the pro 1T move in my opinion. I would do that well before tower level 203. (You get a ton of stamina if you need it at like 201/202.)

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

That's disappointing, you get a handful of other crops when you harvest corn?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

koshmar posted:

That's disappointing, you get a handful of other crops when you harvest corn?

Some of the other chatter seemed to indicate it gives bonus crops of lesser time than whatever completed. So like peas could give carrots and peppers, while carrots would only give peppers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That would be so useful while trying to restock stuff for cooking or when something wants 2000 watermelons.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

H110Hawk posted:

That would be so useful while growing corn aka 90% of the game

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I made it all the way to T225 right away - just need to throw nets at a few fish. But now I'm walled by drat iron cups.

I'm a little underwhelmed that there are only two artifacts after all this wait - and one is just more inventory space. Nice for newer players at least.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Feeling pretty smug having MM'd horseshoes and iron cups a while ago. Once or twice a day when I looked at my workshop I would sell them and it just plodded along. Or it would sit maxed for days.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Lol got to level 233 and am blocked by... Crappie. I have 195k mastery on them.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Made it through T241. Blocked by Lemonade MM (I’m at 930k). After that I’ll be clear for T250.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
What does re taw do?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

monkeytennis posted:

What does re taw do?

You mean Water? It's been an item for a bit, but I'm not sure it has a use beyond being a joke about Borgen selling bottled water.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

10 Retaw can be exchanged for snowballs.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

The Tower 200 artifact has taken me past 12k inventory, which is actually ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can make an entire 134 canoes at a time from a full stack of oak. Yay I guess.