Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

New to the game. What can I SAFELY sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Can someone mail me a Shiny Beetle for todays community center chest? IGN Ruggan

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Thanks! I could use some iced tea too … or anything else.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

So like, what happened? Because I don’t quite understand the drama but it’s sounding like maybe I might need to reassess whether I’m going to actually support this game?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Stuck in honey jail right now. 350/600 for ATI.

Also grinding up exploring. I’m 99/99/99/93. I need 1.5m stamina to get to 99, which seems like a lot. Ugh. I have 14 million fishing XP compared to my 1 million exploring XP. Huge discrepancy.

51 mastered, 12 GM - feel ahead of the curve there at least, maybe.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

DRINK ME posted:

Went back to Whispering Creek on the weekend and dumped about 1000 more Arnolds into it. I’ve mastered canoes, fancy drums and guitars, grandmastered crossbows and almost red shields. And most importantly I have 151 raptor slots filled, so I just need to hatch the eggs to get my Raptor Trainer badge.

I’m still sitting on way too much resources at the moment from my laziness: 4k cider, 4k arnold, 3.8m stamina.

You’re welcome to dump some on me (Ruggan) - trying to get to 99 exploring (95 currently).

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Seaweed for ATI: where do I get it? Literally trawling small island for the rest of my life?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

So I’ve tried cooking. Mixed opinions. It’s a neat mechanic and I’m sure it’s going to develop and grow over time. However, I’m not a huge fan of needing to micromanage my cooking because of all these intermediate timers.

For those of you that don’t know, you start a cooking recipe and during the time the recipe takes to cook, you can “stir”, “taste” and “season” the meal for various bonuses. For instance, stirring reduces the cooking time and seasoning gives you bonus xp. Each of these activities are on their own independent timers and can be done a certain number of times based on the recipe you are cooking. If you aren’t around or watching the progress to click the button to perform these activities and the recipe progresses or completes, you lose the chance to perform them.

As an example, Bone Broth takes 10 minutes and you can stir once 1 minute in, taste once 3 minutes in, and season once 5 minutes in. You can do them all as long as you push their button before the recipe completes. That means that to get optimal rewards for the resources you spend on this 10 minute activity, you need to push 4 buttons. Higher level recipes change the number of each action you can perform (for instance you can stir Onion Soup 3 times as long as you wait out the timer between each stir), and on what cooldown it can be done on.

I gave my feedback in beta chat and got mostly the response that “it’s a reward to do it, not a punishment to not” - to which I’d say, same thing. Maybe the higher level recipes which take much longer have more forgiving timers and I won’t feel like I’m missing out by not babysitting the game.

Also, the QOL perks that you can buy for gold are effectively mandatory. So buckle down for an outlay of at least 350 gold.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hobojim posted:

That's a bummer about cooking.

So there's no benefit to upping friendship levels yet?

Unrelatedly, I blew through an inventory (~1100) of mealworms and only got 12 gold fliers, and five of those were double hook luck. gently caress that particular fish.

Yeah, there is. Friendship levels now grant rewards at 10, 20, 30, etc (might be beta only right now). Some of those rewards are recipes you’ll need for cooking.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

LLSix posted:

I've read both gold perk lists, and I think I have all the essentials. I'm not sure what to get next though. Currently I'm trying to decide between:

a) grape juice pitcher. I want this eventually but I'm low on grape juice right now and another round of pumpkins would only net ~60k a day.

b) extra guess at the vault. If it's the difference between succeeding or not, its an extra ~100k, but it won't be every day, so call it ~50k a day

c) Banker III - I'm saving up for a quarry, so this'd be 200-300k a day except when I empty out my account, but neither guide likes it which is confusing.

Grape juice pitcher is great. More GJ uses are always useful.

Extra guess at the vault is worthless. You can almost always guess in 4 or 5. If you need a 5th guess just pay the 50 AC - don’t waste the gold. My strat is always 1234 as my first guess, 5678 as my second guess, and working in 90 as my third guess. Obviously modify it as needed if you get all the numbers early. In my 63 vaults, I’ve solved 100% and in 4 or 5 guess all times except one where I needed 6.

Banker in general is one of the lowest return investments. I make 8m per day without any upgrades, and the lowest ROI upgrade would allow me to increase that to 16m for 50 gold. For comparison, I can throw a single large net in pirate cove (end game fishing area) and make that 8m. And I’m making many large nets each day. I would avoid the banker perks unless the passive income is really attractive to you for some reason (like you’re going on vacation for a bit).

I would suggest upgrading craftworks or buying some inventory if it’s still cheap. Some people will advise against buying inventory (as you get some passively each day) but I find that getting 100 extra inventory early can really feel like jumping forward in progression.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

LLSix posted:

Who is holding/selling steak today? I started playing recently but it looks like Risky markets usually are over 50k, so I'm leaning towards holding for another day and hoping to eke out another few thousand profit per.

I feel your pain. I'm endlessly growing leeks in the hope of getting that stupid runestone.

I'm not sure if I should spend my AC on spiked shells for the far future need or broccoli. I'm 62/50/68/54 so I'm a long ways from doing the tower and an extra 300k from "free" broccoli sure would be convenient.

Spiked shells are a huge pain to get. I hope from now until you hit tower you’re throwing salt (for shells) and crab claws (for geckos) into the well!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

rafikki posted:

You’ll get grape juice from pets eventually. I never use the grapes from my vineyard

Same, at this point I could get by with 0 grapes and I’d still have enough GJ for my 6-a-day. Comes faster than you’d think.

In the meantime just ask for grapes in giveaways chat.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

H110Hawk posted:

If I have extra cutlass and need a ducky, and spiders+cutlass are at 0 quests left, any reason not to toss the cutlass in the well? Or is the tower going to surprise me?

Cutlasses are way easier to get than rubber duckies imo, so I might end up doing this myself.

No real reason not to unless you want to save up for their potential use in the future. But you’ve got plenty of time for that.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hobojim posted:

This is the greatest personal help request

I’ve had a few decent ones. One gave me 65 honey. Another gave me a bunch of spiked shells like that one you posted. Always a nice surprise!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

H110Hawk posted:

Lol what in earth. I'm just going to miss that day.

Is it that bad? I think I’ve completed all 3 PHRs every single day they’ve been available to me.

susan b buffering posted:

Huh, I just crafted a bunch of spheres using craftworks and now I have negative silver to the tune of about 600,000,000, so be careful using that for expensive crafts I guess :v:

You can go negative with craftworks? That seems like a bug.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kaboobi posted:

yeah I always complete all my PHRs unless there's some absurd requirement like 250 machine presses or something

Yeah. I take back what I said, I definitely juice them if they’re absurd. I had one that wanted 50 honey (and this was when I was stocking up for ATI).
:wtc:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

LLSix posted:

I mostly ignore mine. While they technically give more silver than just selling the request items would, the crafts/explore/fish gained by using those items often seems more valuable than the quest reward. Especially since I'm a long way from 4x99.

You ought to do them. You don’t get new ones each day unless you complete the existing set. While they don’t all give great rewards (many don’t, in fact) you will sometimes get lucky. Today I had one that gave me 70 seaweed, and yesterday I had one that gave me 50 orange geckos.

Those “lucky” rewards really speed up rare item acquisition imo.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hobojim posted:

I think ignoring them until you're close to farming 99 is a good idea, they REALLY aren't worth it at lower levels the vast majority of the time. I waited until farming ~95 and then peach juiced the bad ones away.

The cat's meow meal has a very fitting name, holy poo poo. I cranked out 50 gold fliers in ten minutes. It also adds to your streak if you use manual fishing, merit badge should be easier now. Also double hooks is probably not very good anymore lol

Yeah you might be right - rewards might be a little more lackluster at lower levels (dunno?) but they’re definitely worth doing daily at some point.

Double hooks stacks, I think?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Philouza posted:

I'm just working through Gold Fliers to finish unlocking Pirate's Cove but should I be ignoring this Defences and Consequences quest line? The latest is asking for 300 honey and that would basically clear me out.

If you haven’t done A Towering Investment to unlock the tower yet (which I’m guessing you haven’t as you’re not yet at PC) then don’t spend the honey. You will need 600 to unlock tower, and unlocking tower is a priority because the rewards for tower 10 (halve the timers for farming) and tower 20 (10% increased silver for selling) are relatively easy to reach and are a huge jump in power.

If you’re far enough away from tower that you think you’ll have ANOTHER 600 honey by then in addition to the 300 you have now, then go for it. But I doubt that - you’ll probably get to ATI around farming mid-90s and tawny owl only gets you around 10 honey per day.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

andy_social posted:

Millions of Peaches worth it?

I got it, and yeah, I think it’s worth it, but as a low priority perk after you’ve gotten most of everything else you want. Like I said, I do almost all my PHRs.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Philouza posted:

Yeah my Exploring is only level 85 so I’m just gonna hold on to my honey. Hopefully I can get another blue gel exchange or two to finish off the fliers before the event as I’ve been hoarding my large nets in hopes to use them for PC

Can’t catch gold fish with nets anyway 🤷‍♂️

Just get a few “cat’s meow” meals and manually fish for them. They’ll come much more quickly.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

LLSix posted:

I'm not sure what I want to spend gold on. Or rather, there's nothing left that seems exciting. I got a ton of gold from this event and I've got 275 between that and what I'd had saved. Debating between:

A) More mailbox slots - currently have 20

B) More Craftworks slots - currently only have 1
I don't love craftworks because it doesn't count for some things, so it's mostly a way to avoid voiding stuff overnight, and while there are a few things I void overnight, not doing that wouldn't add up to much extra silver/day. Plus, it's nice to wake up and be able to do a big crafting splurge.

C) Sprint Shoes II (I've already got Sprint Shoes I)

D) Miscellaneous upgrades -
Collect-o-matic and Pet Whistle (50)
Wheel Boost & Wheel Bonus (125)

E) Comedy option: Grape Juice Fountain

I don't have the inventory space for the Orchard Land upgrades to be useful.

Congratulations! I'm a bit further behind you than I thought. 77/65/87/65 (I was 65 farming when the event started but buying the 100mill crop row was a huge chunk of xp)

So, to go through your list:

A) mailbox slots are always nice as long as you actually use giveaways or trade chat and if you have nothing else to spend the gold on - if you ever get beta or above you’ll also get a multiplier to your mailbox (beta is 3x) and I just today got myself to 210

B) Craftworks isn’t about the income, it’s about the mastery grind. And it’s very good for that. The only thing craftworks doesn’t count towards is some “total crafted” metric on your profile which gets used for some merit badge or whatever - you still get counts towards mastery and that makes it the only sane way to GM a bunch of stuff imo. I think it’s really OP and highly recommend getting more slots and using them - for reference I recently got to 8!

C) sprint shoes 2 is pretty decent but only if you’re actually tapping (which I rarely do now). You’ll probably want it when you’re grinding the desert zone for the crest though (aka eventually but probably not now)

D) you should definitely get collect-o-matic and probably pet whistle as well, they’re just QOL but it sucks to have so many clicks to collect pet items otherwise. Wheel boost and wheel bonus are nice but in your situation I’d probably still wait on them until I have other purchases

E) grape juice fountain is actually pretty good! You can grow that many more rice or beets or whatever in a day which is a nice little boost. It’s also great when a request needs a bunch of crops that take a long time to grow and you can just blitz through them. I know it wasn’t optimal, but I also used some GJ to get out of corn jail earlier.

So to summarize, I’d probably go Craftworks to at least 3 or 4 slots, then collect-o-matic and pet whistle? And then whatever tickles your fancy.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

H110Hawk posted:

I would save for orchard as you will want it soon enough. Or sprint shoes.

And yes you will need orchard soon enough.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

LLSix posted:

I see people talking all the time about growing beets, but rice is more profitable via grape juice. Is there something that makes beets a better grape juice crop that I'm not seeing?

Mega beet seeds

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

MarcusSA posted:

Those are only from the exchange right?

You can get them from pets as well

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I think part of the answer to your question is also that rice is a somewhat recent release and beets were top dog for a while.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ghostlight posted:

How useful are the XP-Silver conversion gold perks?

Very. Probably one of the best ROI of the silver perks - definitely better than bank or winery upgrades.

For reference I bought them once I hit 4x99 and I had 20b excess XP to convert. I’ve used this to get 300m daily for idk, a month, and I have 50b excess XP to convert today.

If you’re semi-active you generate XP faster than you can redeem it. Quite lucrative.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kaboobi posted:

one of the new T100 quests requires 1000 grasshoppers, one of the reasons why I always keep like 2000+ of everything at all times unless I'm constantly churning through them for masteries

if you want to see the hilarious endgame resource dump they just added for the event that doesn't have very good rewards: https://buddy.farm/q/frank-s-pranks-i/

Wow, that really doesn’t have good rewards at all. The spooky cookies are good, of course, but that’s about it. 2k honey looks good but at T100 most players don’t need it anymore / have plenty. The basket is ok for the sake of library completion but if you don’t care about that, then it’s junk.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

There’s a new “heart container” item which you can make from 4 heart pieces. The item is mailable and while you need to be Farming 99 to send, you only need to be Farming 25 to receive. It sells for 1bn base silver, plus whatever bonuses you have.

For a farming level 25 player, that is a ludicrous amount of silver. That would basically power level them to the high 80s at least, as it would enable them to purchase of all the farm rows and storehouse upgrades through 100m (and maybe even the 1bn crop row).

The heart pieces are a 1:3000 watermelon drop, roughly… so not easy to get, but not absurdly difficult either (at a grow speed of 12m that isn’t terrible). Seems wild to me!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sphere day! Now up to 30bn banked. 100bn storehouse here I come!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Vasler posted:

What's the best first 10 B upgrade to get? Storehouse or farm?

Storehouse imo. The extra +2 per day adds up quickly.

Farm is nice but after hitting 99 I feel like extra rows is more convenience than necessity.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

General rule of thumb is prioritize storehouse over crop rows.

The exception is if you’re below level 99 and there’s an active event xp bonus.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

bbcisdabomb posted:

With a bit of effort tomorrow I should be able to hit 99\99\98\98 and I'm pretty sure my character is now diabetic from all the juice I've been chugging.

Pretty good from starting the event with everything in the high 80s!

Grind out that last exploring level if you can! Apparently Haunted House is almost 6x better xp than any other area, according to the dev (in some discord).

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

MarcusSA posted:

drat I knew it was good but I didn't think it was that good.

Should I be trying to save up 500 jack o lanterns for after the event ends?

Not sure what you’d need the jack o lanterns for.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

MarcusSA posted:

Is the quest for 500 of them only temporary then? Someone posted it up thread.

lol yeah same. I’ll probably get to exploring 94 maybe before I’m completely out.

Oh yeah, there are some temporary event quests for T100 people. See https://buddy.farm/i/jack-o-lantern/ (click on the quests below and it’ll indicate as much).

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Pushed through and got that 99 exploring! Only took, uhh, 120 ciders, 305 OJs, and 46 APs. Now to not think about exploring for at least a day.

What's your IGN, I'll pass along some of my extra items.

Seems like a lot to you now, but that’ll change.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

MarcusSA posted:

I've done that a few times and I just chalk it up to an idiot tax lol

Made really good progress today though!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

rafikki posted:

Still not terribly interested but it did make me go look in the bank and realize I’ve accumulated a bit more that 2b silver since april.

Yeah, still not worth it. Interesting that the amounts you now get are different but the cost (at least off sale) is the same.

You can get more than half the bank (88m out of 160m cap) benefit for 500 gold. The other 74m is going to cost you 1300 gold. So if you made an argument for getting anything it’d be to buy the Savings Account V for 500 and be done.

Considering I get 8m per LN at pirate cove, that means Savings Account V at sale price of 400 gold for 80m nightly income gives me roughly the equivalent of 10 extra LN daily for 400 gold. That same 400 gold could buy me 6000 LN (or more) in trade chat. So the breakeven is 600 days, which is definitely not worth it.

On the other hand, I could use 400 gold to buy 150 inventory space. That’s 150 antlers = ~10 more LN daily (with resource saver), plus the other huge benefits of more inventory space (more orchard, more space for sawmill and mastery, etc). And if you haven’t purchased as much inventory as I have the equation is even better.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

monkeytennis posted:

Yeah it took me 49000 to get one

I’ve only grown 3100 and I got one as well. And probably half of that was before the gold potato was live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

H110Hawk posted:

What is the next 10bn upgrade? I have the storehouse one. Is there a pet or should I do the crop row? I'm leaning crop row.

Sawmill, straw, quarry make decent amounts. Not inventory per hour but I'm voiding a bunch as is. Orchard makes >inventory per day and I add 11 trees a day to stay that way.

Crop row. Then onion pet, which is ok.