Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Farm RPG is a simple, mobile-friendly (iOS/Android/Browser), farming RPG game where you start a farm, fish, craft and explore the world of the game. Think Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing, but with more of an Idle/Incremental browser-based flavor. This is no Farmville clone or pay-to-win clicker, though: what starts as a beautifully simple game quickly becomes a beautifully complicated game, as the multitude of game systems branch out and intertwine, constantly opening up new goals and methods of progression. Throw in a robust MMORPG trading and economy system, an incredibly helpful in-game wiki/help system, ultra-generous disbursement of the premium currency, and NO ADS, and you have what is proving to be one of the gems of the genre.

Farm RPG launched on May 12th, 2021, and a year on is still getting constant content and QoL updates, seasonal events and quests, and an ever growing player base. April/May 2022 saw a heavy incursion of Goons, and to spare other gaming threads from getting subsumed by it's discussion, this thread has been created to capture our tribal knowledge and help get your farm started on the right foot.

Farming

You start with a simple farm, where you can buy seeds from the Country Store, plant them in your field, wait until they grow, sell those crops at the Farmer's Market, then repeat. As you plant and harvest crops, you gain Farming XP and level up your Farm, eventually letting you expand your farm to include standard fare like Chickens, Cows, and Pigs, until you are eventually tending to your award-winning Winery and making sure the Velociraptors don't escape from their pen (those clever girls). Farming quickly stops being about making money from selling your crops directly and more working towards unlocking aspects of the other skills and feeding the insatiable appetites of the game's NPCs in the expansive Quest system.

Fishing

You'll eventually get to the point where you've leveled up your Farm and your crops are taking long enough to grow where you have time in-between to grab your pole and see what's bitin'. There are currently 10 different fishing zones in the game, with their own unique flavors and opportunities. At first you'll have to manually fish by clicking on shadows of the fish in the water, and then reel them in when the bait is set, but you'll eventually gain the ability to make Fishing Nets and trawl the waters properly. Late-game, churning through dozens of Fishing Nets in the last Fishing zone is the most sure-fired way to make money.

Exploring

Your farmer has a certain amount of stamina, and you can use it walking down the country roads and more exotic locales that surround your Farm, finding sticks and stones and nails and bones you can use to Craft any number of things. You naturally regain stamina at a steady clip, and eventually start sucking down bushels of Apples and gallons of Orange Juice, Lemonade, Iced Tea and Apple Cider to gain tens of thousands of stamina a day to start spinballing through volcanos and canyons grabbing up gemstones and magical crystals and dinosaur eggs. Unlike with Fishing, all of the ten Exploring zones remain helpful throughout the game, as you'll bounce back and forth between them, searching for your standard crafting mats and super rare treasures.

Crafting

Crafting could have a good argument for being the main focus of the game, especially if your goal is to become a Billionaire fast. Once you unlock the Workshop building at your Farm, you can start using your Farming and Exploring drops to craft items to either sell for money directly, or to catch a bunch of fish to sell for money, or to give you more Stamina to Explore more so you can Craft some more things for money. Crafting will be your main source of money throughout the game, with the early and mid game being from selling your Sturdy Shields and Fancy Pipes and Lanterns and whatnot directly, until you get to the point where you can craft hundreds of Fishing Nets/Large Nets to fuel your Fishing exploits.

The Town

All of the other miscellaneous systems of the game reside in The Town, Redbrook. Besides buying/selling crops, you can store your money in the Bank, spend your gold on rare items or skills/perks, buy a wide array of pets and creatures, try your luck at the Wheel of Borgen or play the Steak Market. At the Post Office, you can check your mailbox for items from other players, and the Community Center lets the player base turn common items into rare ones if they can work together to do so. Perhaps the most important building, though, is the Library, featuring an extensive array of in-game articles explaining the various systems of the game, including guides written and maintained by the top players in the game.

:siren: Where do I start? :siren:
Create a new account, and make sure to enter in Referral Code 531BF to earn a gift basket with a ton of helpful resources at Farming Level 30, which should only take a couple days. Follow the Tutorial Quests. Read the Get Rich Quick guide in the Library, and follow its advice, especially the part about Sawmill Silver. Post your in-game name (mine's Klungar) in here so us Master Farmers can shower you in things to turbo charge the early levels. If you aren't sure if you should sell something, Don't Sell It. Trust the Quest.

You ready?

Klungar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Hello! Are you reading this thread the day it was created? Now is the perfect time to jump in to Farm RPG! May 12th marks the one year anniversary of the game, and there is currently a celebration event running where you can get free items, earn bonus money and XP, complete special event quests, and play in the world's largest game of Hot Potato to boost the benefits even higher. The last part is the most important to the community as a whole, once you've created your account and gained access to your Mailbox at Farming Level 10, let someone in chat or here know that you need a Hot Potato, as the bonus to money/XP increases with every unique account that gets their hands on a Hot Potato and passes it along. The event runs through Sunday, May 15th event has been extended through afternoon of Monday, May 16th!, so don’t delay!

Klungar fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 13, 2022

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I’ll say I think you can eventually get most everything you want in a single Perk set, but you’ll like miss out on, say, 30% extra XP per skill in doing so, which may seem like a lot, but by the time you’d get around to buying those skills normally, you are very likely close to max level anyway. I’ve not yet spent a single cent on the game, and only beating the end of main line progression do I really feel any pressure to do so, and mostly out of wanting to support the dev if anything. Even the perks I’d buy with the gold would be nice to have (Cellar Expansion, Grape Juice Fountain), but not mandatory or anything. The game is almost uniquely balanced in how it provides and consumes its premium currency for the F2P player.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

In as Mode 7. This is oddly satisfying.

What should I be prioritising spending gold on, if anything?

There are two guides in the Library I’d suggest checking out. The first is “Perk Tier List by Bhelogan”, under Staff-Created Guides, though it is a bit outdated and I disagree with it on some minor stuff regardless. The second is The Goddess’ Gold Guide, which is more up to date, and covers uses of Gold besides just perks as well. In concert, you should be able to figure the gist out, but feel free to ask This or That type questions in here as well.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Is there some guide on what's optimal to spend gold on? I get the feeling it might be stamina upgrades but I could be wrong.

It is 100% not that stamina upgrades, basically the one thing in the game you should never spend gold on. Please take a look at the guides I posted right above you, they will point you in the right direction.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Munkeylord posted:

Are the inferno and lava spheres consumables?

They are not consumable, but you can sell them and if you sell your only copy, you *will* lose access to the zones they unlock. As stated, put one of each in your Storehouse once you get to the point where you are crafting and selling them on the regular so that you don’t make a dumb mistake. But even then, by the time you are selling spheres regularly, you likely will have the ability to just make another that day anyway, so you should be relatively safe either way.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Erwin posted:

The biggest challenge I'm having at the moment (82/92/91/79) is balancing resources so I'm not waisting anything while exploring with a full inventory. For instance, I'm currently exploring Whispering Creek for salt rock, however my oak keeps filling up. Oak products sell for enough that I don't want to just waste the oak. So I make guitars and drums, but that means I have to get leather, make twine, get carbon spheres, but then exploring the forest and Mount Banon are filling up my antlers and coal, so then I have to make nets and explosives, but then I have to fish to make room, yadda yadda. Just a lot of bouncing back and forth. Not to mention I'm growing mushrooms full time to keep the paste flowing.

Honestly sitting back and growing corn every 48 minutes or whatever would be nice. I'm still in corn jail but I'm just ignoring it for now.

Yeah, everyone hates on Corn Jail but at least it is simple and straightforward. I just sell the Oak and Slimestone, void the rarer drops to ensure I always have an inventory full of them, and make Garnet Rings and the odd Fancy Drum or Sturdy Bow when pet drops make it possible. I don't think Fancy Guitars are ever worth it, though, due to how much Steel Wire it requires. Those Carbon Spheres have much better uses. But I am also making getting to 99 Exploring my main priority of Exploring, which is obvious not optimal in the present for Silver but I think will be in the long run, which means just blasting away at Whispering Creek non-stop.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I updated the second post, but in case you don't see it, the Anniversary event has been updated and extended until the afternoon of Monday, May 16th (I believe the game uses US Central Time for reference). The Silver/XP bonus has been updated from 2%/1k to 3%/1k, so the global bonus jumped from 19% to 26%, meaning we are officially in "better than a normal event" territory. Need another 5000 players before we get the full 40%, so if you've signed up but haven't gotten a Hot Potato yet, make sure to ask in chat for one, and if you haven't jumped into the game yet, get on it!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm real bad at figuring out what to spend upgrade points on in games.

What's the general gist of what to spend my mastery points for the real early game? Are the +10% xp masteries worthwhile or should I just get the ones that deal with getting more resources?

The aforementioned Perk Tier List by Bhelogan, though a bit out of date, covers both Mastery Perks and Gold Perks. Negotiator/Resource Saver/Quicker Farming are all things you'll want to get as soon as possible, preferably in that order.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Munkeylord posted:

The in game library has a ton of helpful information and reading material. The get rich quick guide is where I started, so far it's been paying out. Also I spent an embarrassing amount of money, probably don't do that

I mean, if you have gold burning a hole in your pocket, I can find some good places to invest it...

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I’ll eventually update the OP with little stuff like this, but tip for new folks: when you hit Level 20 Farming, you’ll unlock Mailbox Passwords at the Post Office. By entering a password, you can earn lots of neat stuff as a new player, ranging from stuff you’ll need for quests, some bunches of Silver and Gold, and items from past seasonal events. One of these, Candy (from the Halloween event) will sell for a huge chunk of change, and can make a huge difference in getting your Sawmill up and running and starting your Silver engine running. Normally it is not advised to sell items like that that are hard to acquire and may be needed for future quests, but getting the Sawmill as early as possible is so important, and the Candy is relatively common as far as event items go, that I’m hard pressed telling anyone to hold on to it for a hypothetical when it is so useful in the present. All of the Mailbox Passwords can be found in the Library, check out the Mailbox Passwords and Spoilers pages for all of them.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I figure I'll give this a shot because I'm addicted to idle games. Might not stick around because mobile games arne't normally my thing.

There is a space to put in a referral when I register an account, is there any benefit to the referrer for that? Does some random goon want a gem or w/e currency they'd get.

The referrer and the referee both get some benefits, which are nice but not groundbreaking. My code is in the OP and another goon has a sheet they are capturing codes in.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Okay there is an inventory cap per item, is there also a cap on number of items? Because giving how this crafting and quests look it sorta feels liek I should just horde every last thing until I'm sure I don't need it and/or I need money for some reason.

Just a cap per item. Be aware that Ancient Coins, though they seem like currency, are also subject to the inventory cap.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

If you’ve been playing for a while and have a stockpile of Beets, now seems like an ideal time to sell them. An effective 66% bonus due to the double stacking event bonus is too good to pass up.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

tildes posted:

Wait what do you mean by void? Do I need to be eliminating existing stuff in my inventory to get xp for new stuff or something?

“Voiding” is when you get an item but already have maxed your inventory on it so it just goes into “the void”. You miss out on using it/selling it for silver, but you still get XP/mastery for it, so it isn’t that big of a deal when you are just trying to do a ton of grinding.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

koshmar posted:

I'm close to being able to afford an Orchard, should I grab that as soon as I can afford it?

Edit: Does FarmRPG have a Goon discord?

The Orchard is perhaps the most important Farm Building in the game, and while it will eventually become your main priority for spending Silver, when you first unlock it it’ll be hard to upgrade it fully. Buy it, but still focus you Silver on the Sawmill to keep that rolling.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

The event bonus just ticked over to 35%, if you’ve been stashing Inferno Spheres, now is probably your time to sell, I doubt we are hitting 38% before reset tonight.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Sawmill silver is great. Waking up to an inventory full of wood and boards to craft sturdy shields feels nice.
Just not sure at what point I should stop pushing most silver into the sawmill and start fixing up my orchards and buying more fields.

I am at 88 boards/hour and 70/wood hour now.
I‘ve got 20 fields, 100 chickens and 24 cows. The orchards are at 20 trees each.

What are good ratios to aim for now? Upgrade everything until the silver cost reaches 150k or 200k or?

A good rule of thumb for the early game is keeping Boards and Wood/hr at half your max inventory, so 100/hr with the default of 200 inventory slots. That’ll change eventually but you can start branching out to other things once you’ve reached that point. When you unlock Quarry and Hay Field, try and level those up such that the ratios line up nicely for what you need to craft your Fancy Pipes and Lanterns. Orchard you should shoot for hitting your max inventory, taking into account the Forester perks. Chickens/Cows/Pigs max out at 250, but you don’t need to worry about hitting that until much later. Vineyard target used to be 400 grapes/day to be able to craft 2 Grape Juice, but 800 might be the new target with the new Grape Juice Fountain perk that was introduced recently.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I've mostly just been using my resources to complete requests, but now all my requests require farming so there is nothing to do but wait for those. So now I'm earning energy and wood/straw per hour and stuff and don't really know what to do with them.

I guess I should be using them to level up my poo poo? Whats an efficient way to turn resources into exp to level up crafting or w/e?

The Sawmill Silver guide in the Library handles it pretty well, but except in very rare circumstances, you want to just focus on Crafting the things that give you the most silver: Iron Cups, Sturdy Shields, Fancy Pipes, Lanterns. For a good chunk of the game, all you need to craft is Sturdy Shields and Fancy Pipes, and keep upgrading your Sawmill/Quarry as needed to be able to craft as many of those as you can.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Vasler posted:

I really enjoy this game but manual fishing is the worst on PC.

THE WORST. As you imply, it’s much better on mobile, so there are often times I’ll be playing on PC and then take out my phone to do some manual fishing, before going back to playing on PC.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

rafikki posted:

Can’t mail gold fish 🙁

Several of them you can, Goldjack just doesn't happen to be one of them.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I successfully sat on my hands and got distracted by work enough to avoid buying the 10B Farm Row way ahead of where you'd normally want to buy it if only to get the extra bonus XP but set me back heavily on Storehouse/Pets/Tower progress. Hopefully I don't end up regretting missing out on that 1.8B XP later!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Roughly how rare are runestones from crops? I'm trying to get runestones 1-10 to get access to the exploration zone and all I got left to go is the stone from leeks and cukes.

I'd say 2-3k is about average, though it can obviously happen a lot sooner or you can get super unlucky and have to go much further than that.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Yeah, I wouldn’t recommend much more than an AHK clicker. Not sure how sophisticated their detection is but they seem mighty swift with the ban hammer.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I think technically you’d count yourself unlucky if you don’t get the corn Runestone before you finish Corn Jail, but it is nice that it has a force mechanism to give it to you if RNGesus fails you.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

'A way forward' and 'strange rocks' are both quest chains that each ask for a runestone I think there are 10 quests in each chain, from what I've seen. I think I needed one of each for the quest? I wasn't realy paying attention since alot of them I just happened to have anyway and just spam clicked 'complete' as I went. But those are the two quest chains I've seen.

I've been putting money into the orchard and I'm up to about 200 of each tree, I should just be turning all of these into juice to pump out more exploration for poo poo right? Or is there some better use of fruit?

Nope, push your orchard to your max inventory and then eat all the Apples and craft all the Orange Juice/Lemonade/Iced Tea/Arnold Palmers you can.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

I’m at 1850 something inventory and still craft pipes and shields all day. I up my boards and wood (and my trees) to my limit every day.

I add in fancy drums, garnet rings, lanterns and odds and sods but pipes and shields are so easy it’s mad not to make them.

I assume this is because you've already knocked out all the other Boards/Wood/Stone Grand Masteries that are easily achievable? I've moved away from the classics to knock stuff out like Horseshoes and Treasure Chests.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Arcturas posted:

What do I do with the infinity glass orbs I get from the bottles on the wall quest? I’m constantly just selling them to avoid voiding them, but that seems silly.

You should be crafting the Glass Bottles you'll need for the next step in the quest. Otherwise, you can craft Steel with them, or trade them with other players for a nice chunk of Orange Juice. Last I actively traded Glass Orbs, you could trade them for Orange Juice 10:1.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Aerox posted:

Pets return X items per hour, where X is level.

My first level 6 upgrade was Frog because I needed Gold Leaf for quests, and that was a huge help in letting me finish them without blowing all of my stamina on Forest.

The caveat to this is that blowing all your stamina on the Forest is great. You get Wood/Straw/Antlers to craft a ton of Fishing Nets, which will be very profitable at the Large Island you have hopefully already unlocked by the time you need Gold Leaves to unlock the Whispering Creek. You can also craft a bunch of Mushroom Paste and Leather that you can also use for your crafting or Trade for a good amount of Orange Juice so you can keep exploring for more Gold Leaves. I’d hold on to your Billion and get Green Dragon to Level 6 as your first Level 6 pet.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'll throw in with this one, I could use a new browser game and it looks fun. I used the referral code in the OP, and I see in-game that I was referred by the other player, but I don't see that it gave me anything? Am I not looking in the right place or do I need to progress for a while before getting anything for it?

You need to progress to Farming Level 30 before you get the Gift Basket, but that shouldn’t take long at all, based on the Referral messages I received over the event weekend last week, most people were able to hit Level 30 in 3-4 days, though without the event bonus I assume it’ll take closer to a week.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Koryk posted:

I think I’m getting close to WC in the quest line, but am at a standstill today due to lack of stamina for glass orbs to make steel for scissors. Is there any way to get glass orbs or the precursor components other than exploring?

You can trade for them, but the universal trading currency is Orange Juice. You might be able to parlay spare Mushroom Paste/Leather/Rope/Yarn/Twine to OJ to Glass Orbs though.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

So I am in Corn jail meaning I need 600 or so more corn. I finally got the runestone from it too.
And that‘s the problem, the next runestone comes from Hops, apparently.

I am guessing Hops has priority now since the runestones give me access to the next area?

Yes, there are few things more important than getting those Runestone sets completed for the first time.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

A good default crop is Mushrooms. Even if you don’t need to Mushroom Paste yourself, you can trade it away easy for some easy OJ.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

That's where I'm confused, because each click only decrements my stamina by 1, even though I bought Sprint Shoes I.

Sprint Shoes I and II will only do anything after you've already incremented the Stamina Effectiveness of a zone at least once.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Vasler posted:

I wish there was a way to make fishing easier. I'm close to 60 (56) where I can get mealworms, but it's so far away.

Fishing Nets make fishing easier, you’ll only ever have to manually fish for gold fish then, which mealworms do speed up a lot.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Mount Banon is probably better overall based on the things you can get besides Glass, but Ember Lagoon edges out if literally all you care about is Glass. I’d still go with Mount Banon though.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Koryk posted:

What’s the most effective way to get the 64 gold leafs for whispering creek unlock? Farming them straight out of the forest seems like it will take over 300k stamina.

I can probably pull 2-3 out of the wishing well a day, I don’t have any 1 billion unlocks yet, but it seems if I rush tree frog that will give me 12 per day?

So instead of trying to brute force them from the forest, I’m thinking grind mount banon or ember lagoon for lantern materials? Or would that stamina be worth more as antlers from the forest to be turned into nets dumped into large island?

I forwent the Level 6 Frog and just ground it out in the Forest, since as you said the Fishing/Large Nets were quite nice at that level. You’ll eventually want Frog L6 for Lava Spheres but Green Dragon L6 is a better use of that Billion.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Quackles posted:

I'm pretty sure the Ironworks is redundant, period. I haven't bothered to get either perk because Iron is quite cheap from the store at my level (esp. once 'Sawmill Silver' is live) and I don't mind buying it manually.

You will.

YOU WILL.

Ironworks rarely drops things like Small Screws/Small Springs, so it is worth it for that, but it should never be upgraded because the rate drop chance is irrespective of upgrade level.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

tuyop posted:

Ugh how do we level up exploring again?

Exploring is THE WORST to level. The only way to do it is to Explore in the highest zone you have unlocked. No way to cheat it other than buying the Silver/Gold perks that boost Exploring XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

I'm struggling with fishing now. And a good chunk of my help requests need fishing items :argh: Got my sawmill silver all set up and I'm definitely flying through Crafting though. Nothing like waking up and making nearly 1m silver right off the bat.

Shift more of your Exploring to the Forest and craft Fishing Nets. Should help speed along any fishing quests besides those that require "Gold" fish.