Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

How do I turn off items auto-locking themselves for quests?

And just a few days later this was added as an option. Very suspicious :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

I feel very lucky then. Except I cannot find runestone 10. It's the last one I need for that stone too and it just refuses to drop. I'm buried in alliums over here.

Which is fine of course, except I feel like there's really nothing much to do with anything you grow until you can finally unlock cooking. Except give all the corn away.

You can get 10 from throwing 7-9 in the well at a 33% chance. When I was searching for 10 I already had a handful of 8s, so it wasn't too bad.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Haha. First try.

At least I didn't spend a bunch of time growing random crops I didn't need for anything.

3 days. I spent three days growing stuff for it.

Happy to help :tipshat: Don't worry, you're gonna be growing a lot more stuff, stones 11-20 can't be wished for.

NFX fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 3, 2022

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goobish posted:

Oh and I have a question. I can't seem to figure out how/where to get hide and leather? I noticed in one of the exploration areas it mentions deer and "if only I had my bow." But I haven't figured this out how to get a bow yet, I guess?

You don't don't leather, you craft it from hide. Hide you get in the forest, which is an area you have to buy. Much later you also get leather if you build a cow pasture and slaughter a cow.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got the 400 snowballs for the last snow fight quest -> first raptor egg -> able to build the raptor pen -> got enough xp to push me to farming 99 :toot:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

delfin posted:

"Jill was right! Beatrix would like you to try to get a runestone from harvesting corn now."

And now we dance.

Might as well; my remaining help requests are either slow drips (corn, wheat, trees, other time-investment crops, waiting for eggs and milk to build up), solvable via wood and wood by-products, fishing for gold fliers, or Buddy's goddamned diamond.

I'm at Blizzard Warning III-C and D and A Lot Of Trees IX. Which should I focus on more, since all three are crop-focused? (C wants wheat to make flour, D wants advanced veggies, IX wants pines and more pines.)

The Christmas quests are time limited, but there are a lot of corn quests in your future. I'd go for pines, maybe with wheat or broccoli overnight depending on how much you've increased your farm speed from perks and farm supply. When there are quests like Blizzard warning III-D that wants a handful of different crops grow those instead. And be glad that it's not yet hundreds of each!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wandering Orange posted:

Mealworms catch gold fish holy gently caress I should really read the library stuff better.

Do you have a hundred gold flier laying around I can borrow? Please, my villagers are starving

Yes I know it's going to get even worse

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think leveling cooking to something useful is gonna be even more tedious than grinding out those fish with mealworms. The grab bag 07s from the exchange center have helped a lot too.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd you have 1b just lying around, getting the kitchen before farming 99 is a good chunk of xp - not as useful as the crop row or even raptor pen, but better than waiting till you're 99 and voiding the xp.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

delfin posted:

...Getting there.

After that timesink is done, I have the 50/50 of whether one of the two spare cutlasses becomes a second rubber duckie in the Well, and then Small Cave power-searching.

EDIT:FIrst 99 (Fishing) reached. I bought the Storehouse 1B as my third 1B upgrade, and was disappointed to see that that didn't affect Farming XP. Crop row comes next to trigger that, I guess.

Speaking of rares, you're probably going to want to hold on to those cutlasses. You're gonna need 10 for a later quest. That's a lot of spiders.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm level 99 everything except exploring 91. Exploring is really slow even with onion soup and the event bonus. And I need so many herbs and spiders but can't bring myself to void the other drops, so it takes forever.

And then there's the reindeer quest line which brings in some gold but also requires a lot of grinding.

But hey, the new adventure is up! There's one of the reindeer, there's happy cookies (the meal) and some other stuff. Guess I'll give this game another day.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
If someone's swimming in Dancers or Milk and Cookies I'd also like some - my one m+c turned into a grab bag :( I've got a handful of Rudolphs and other reindeer if it is.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I sent 5 too. One good thing about grinding for Dancer is that it's pretty good exploration xp.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Over 120k stamina and close to 100 AP. I've gotten 600 million xp, seven Rudolphs and two milk and cookies, which became a holiday wreath and a bag of fish.

If anyone's got a spare dancer, or some m+c I'd be grateful, because I'm getting really tired of Satan's workshop

Edit: five minutes after that post, I got third drop - another holiday wreath. FFS.

NFX fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 26, 2022

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ruggan posted:

You’re NFX in game too, yea? I don’t have what you asked for but I can send you some AP.

Yup. I'm starting to feel as if it's on a "one drop per day" schedule rather than a fixed chance. I don't have the largest mailbox but I won't say no to APs :)

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got another milk and cookies right after the server reset (grab bag! At least it's better than the wreath). Hard to tell with the RNG but I'm even more convinced of my "once a day" theory now.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's the fastest I've bought something at the camp, glad that quest is over.

I guess it's time to try and get a gold boot in the rest of the time left.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I "only" need 18k grapes more than I have now. I already have enough wine (which I had been saving for ATI). I guess it's a good kick in the butt to upgrade my vineyard, it was only at 300.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Klungar posted:

Remember that Grape Juice are easily acquirable through Medium Chest 01. All Grapes should be converted to Wine instead.

Unless you have the tower, the only way to get those is a very rare drop from Hills. Probably around 26k OJ for me. Next year I guess :)

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Of the two, LI is probably more useful for silver, but best if you can make a lot of nets. WC is also nice for fruits and the occasional raptor, and you're probably itching to get some oak for friendship / crafting, so WC is also fine, it's a wash really.

If you're regularly out of twine, it sounds like you need to boost your hay field and saw mill. You'll need the twine later for nets anyway. And then realize that you're gonna need a lot of ferns for those green cloaks.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
And the last third is crab claw, which goes into the well for geckos/dragons/frogs... the circle of life is beautiful.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

zamiel posted:

This made my morning

Hello neighbour (also from today):

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Finally done with ATI II as well. Sitting at 596/600 potatoes and watching the last ones grow really made me want to use a grape juice on them, hah. Now it's a real farm game, I think all my quests are locked behind growing rather than exploring (except the collector quests).

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't understand. The rate was set too high, so they've increased it? Anyways, the exchange center rewards are helpful.

Edit: unless I got very lucky, the drop rates on peas definitely seem higher now. Around 1 in 100.

NFX fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 10, 2023

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cecil also likes slime stone and he's insatiable, it's a nice break from giving him yarn.

If you're feeling generous there's also several high level people in the giveaway chat who have huge mailboxes and want oak for masteries. And I guess lower level people who haven't unlocked wc yet.

Edit: and someone(s) have dumped like five million drums into the community goal over the last hour or two. I'm not complaining, but I am impressed. I stopped at 10k :v:

NFX fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 11, 2023

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

delfin posted:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha never mind. End of the following week, maybe.

Middle of December I did a quick calculation and thought I might reach e99 by new years if I was lucky. That was before I spent a lot more time farming Santa's workshop (high exp plus the event bonus) that I thought I would. I just reached 4x99 (x8 cooking) today :toot:. The level scaling on the last couple of levels is rough.

Granted, it could have been a lot faster with outside OJ/AP but I'm not really in a rush.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
The default wine cellar is 100 bottles. At 8 million after 42 days that's on average 19 million per day from the cellar. It's less than the vault (capped at 40), but still better than the bank (8 million per day without upgrades) or kabobs, where you'll maybe make around 5000 silver per day per inventory slot (not counting raptors). All of it adds up, but it's still not much in comparison to fishing.

Has anyone else been having an issue where the stamina and "Ready!" display for exploring doesn't show up on the home screen?

I'm not sure if it's a bug or something after I reached lvl 99, but the text comes and goes and I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Do the Lava/Infermo spheres go on bonus in the farmer’s market fairly often? Not expecting once a week, but does it happen about every month or is this a blue moon occurrence?

I think I've seen it happen twice since I started, at Halloween.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been 4x99 for a few days and only now remembered that it unlocks a bunch of pets!... they are a bit pricey.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
During the holiday event with extra bites I poured a ton of meal worms into Large Island looking for a gold boot... when it finally bit, I got 4 :v:

And yes, the gold flier bite rate sucks, not least because it's one of the earlier big humps to get over (after rune stones). But it's only going to get worse from now on with herbs, salt, geckos and other stuff. Some of these quests effectively serve as checks to make sure you have enough upgrades. For example, meal worms per day. Or one of the tower quests where you finally get 600 herbs together and then a few steps later you need around 20,000 wood to make into boards and other products. Sure you can explore or wait, but the wait is gonna be much shorter if you pour some more silver into the saw mill.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

Anyone need any gold feathers?

I still need hundreds for "Hold the Line I", but it doesn't look like a particularly interesting quest line 🤷‍♂️

Edit: it's not even a line, it's just than one quest and you get a mystical staff. :effort:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is the ironworks required to unlock steelworks? The steelworks is at least a little useful and will also occasionally drop runes, but ironworks itself is pointless if you already have the depot upgrade. Farm house is an ok upgrade, otherwise throw it at the sawmill until you have 100 million for the next storehouse imo.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

I Love Topanga posted:

It seems like I've hit a bit of a wall with multiple quests requiring many fields worth of Cotton and Broccoli (and corn, always corn) to proceed. I'm prioritizing Islands Are Hard To Catch VII but I'm like 200 broccoli away and thats going to take a week to complete with Grape Juice.

Any tips for getting out of this?

I assume you have the Farm Supply and Perk upgrades for growing speed? With those and without the tower artifact broccoli grows in 9h 36m which is still long, but you should be able to get multiple fields a day (and maybe save grape juice for rice).

Salt in the wishing well turns into 50/50 broccoli and spiked shells. That's assuming you have enough salt and aren't dropping crab claws in there :sigh: (salt isn't a huge problem when you're grinding WC for herbs, but it might be at your level).

Getting the hedgehog pet to lvl 5 will also help.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
For pure number of glass bottles per stamina, I think ember lagoon wins. But yeah the other drops aren't as exciting.

I'm stuck on ATI XVI, I should have seen those dragonflies and grasshoppers coming and upgraded the lemur sooner :doh: if anyone want to send me some, I'd be happy.

NFX fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 1, 2023

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

koshmar posted:

Is your farming name = forums name?

Yup that's me. The li'l polar bear looks so happy sliding down that small ridge!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

NFX posted:

For pure number of glass bottles per stamina, I think ember lagoon wins. But yeah the other drops aren't as exciting.

I'm stuck on ATI XVI, I should have seen those dragonflies and grasshoppers coming and upgraded the lemur sooner :doh: if anyone want to send me some, I'd be happy.

Update: i got all the insects I need, thanks a lot! One grape juice more and I'll have the final cotton and get that tower key.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
The double catch bonuses also work with streaks, if you're going for that merit badge.

Speaking of events, I'm not crazy for stacking up on the event items Heart Necklace and Valentines Card, am I? When the items came out and the soap shop also changed to stocking fish bones I took that as a sign that someone's gonna want a lot of cards.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

delfin posted:

Langstaff Crest is endless, mindless digging in the desert until it relents? Here, Wall in the Way can give you a different path to one.

I currently get a lot of excitement from tapping away in the desert, trying to guess if a crest will drop before I finally have enough copper wire (seems to be the bottleneck) for that wall in the way reward.

It should only be 6000 taps (with 10 stamina per tap), but it feels like so much more. I do appreciate this second path though, it means that I can watch the numbers go up (however slowly) and I know they'll all turn white at some point.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
The new update notice mentions the pies and a couple of new crafting items. Looks like they're all for xp/silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Proletarian Mango posted:

is every fishing spot after the crystal river gonna be fast like that because i literally can't get anything no matter how fast i spam my mouse button it doesnt register anything

is the 7 1000 streak thing even worth it

1000 streak is only for the 100% fishing XP bonus, as far as I know. The merit badge is 7x10k :)

During Christmas there was a bonus where you'd catch 3-5 fish per manual fishing, and those all count towards the streak. I got 3 to 10k, and another couple a good part of the way there. I haven't touched manual fishing since then, outside of daily chores.

But outside of that no, it's not really worth it. Fishing is probably the easiest skill to get to level 99 anyway. If you haven't already, you'll soon unlock mealworms in the worm habitat, and those are just click to catch.