Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm feeling like my resource bottlenecks are really asymmetrical early game. Like I never have enough wood or stone to craft stuff to level up crafting (or to get another 700k to get my sawmill going), but I'm already getting my exploration skill to about double my crafting skill. Dunno, I'm sure it'll even out later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How do I know what mailbox password items are safe to sell for silver? I need another 500k or so to get my sawmill.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Any advice for golden feathers other than spamming the two or three explore locations where they pop up?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What do I do with the infinity glass orbs I get from the bottles on the wall quest? I’m constantly just selling them to avoid voiding them, but that seems silly.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I feel like I’m in a rut where I don’t get perk points or gold much anymore, so I have a bunch of the targeted good early perks and upgrades but can’t get the key QOL ones like automatic nails and iron.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can you get a rune stone from a fishing location with a net, or is it manual only?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Wow, getting to $10M and building a quarry is drastically accelerating my money making and crafting progress. I thought it was good getting a sawmill in place and to 100-ish boards/woord/hr, but now that I can get stone as well I can use my stone & wood for pipes and my boards for shields... I can see how this will continue to snowball.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

These gold fish quests are hateful.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The game is pretty clever about that for a while. Right now you need to explore for wood, but as soon as you get the sawmill going wood will stop being a constraint and instead you’ll be constantly clicking to the town for nails and iron. And then you’ll buy the perk for restocking iron and nails and immediately be up against a new constraint, stone. Once you get the quarry going, stone stops being an issue and instead it’s glass orbs. And then it becomes twine/coal, which is where I’m at. I’m assuming there’s something later, once I get to a new thing to sell after lanterns. It’s a great sense of progression.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Agh I’m stuck with a ton of quests that need green ferns and green dyes. What a terrible thing to need hundreds of. It drops rarely, the zones don’t give me lantern or net materials, and they don’t give glass bottle components either.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm nearing my first billion, I know that the standard advice is storehouse for more max inventory space but that just feels so boring. I'm primarily interested in whatever will maximize my silver income, so that I can snowball to billion 2, 3, etc - is that still storehouse first? Or has someone run the math on Macaw for large nets? (Or frog for WC access and better crafting and/or raptors, I suppose.)

83/93/92/76, if it matters.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Do the game devs care about fishing botting?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Parts Unknown needing a ton of corn after the gold leaf grind is a rude surprise.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think even at best efficiency pigs are like 3m silver/day. That’s pretty trivial by the time you get the pig farm online, in my opinion.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Wow that 1 billion farming row upgrade gives a fair bit of XP. Just went from farming 84 to farming 97 with a button press.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Fancy pipes/sturdy shields are the way until you get access to coal via exploring, at which point you’ll add lanterns. In the mean time work on filling up your orchard and vineyard until you get your inventory cap of each of the four fruit each day. At some point after you get more cash from lanterns, you’ll progress far enough in the quests to access Large Island, at which point you basically switch back to exploring only in the forest and crafting nets/large nets exclusively for cash. Spare cash in this stage can go to continued tree planting, followed by the 100m and 1b critical storehouse/farm row upgrades, and some key pets. After that you’ll get access to Whispering Creek and will stop dumping exploration into forest for a while as you work on trying your damndest to get more raptor eggs. That’s where I’m at-I’m not sure what’s next, but this has been my progression up to 90/99/95/80 or so.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I don't even see how this could be possible?

?

Level 6 macaw gives large nets, at level six it's what, 12 large nets on average a day? Or 14? I forget the exact math, but it's 30-40 million silver a day. Getting it early is very helpful for getting additional silver snowballing happening, more helpful than most other pets. Green dragon is 20-30 million/day or so? It's often in the next tier of pets.

What else would you be targeting? Frog is important, but doesn't directly give you silver if you have ground through the materials for LI/WC without it. If you do need it, it's probably the best first L6 pet. After Frog & Macaw...Green Dragon (less silver/day than macaw), Snake (pirate coins, which are not worth silver but are needed later), and uh...Red Dragon/Squirrel to go with the Frog & Snake?

E:fb. As folks upthread said, I think the quote meant it was one of the first level 6 pets.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Presumably L6 too huh. Ok, that's going to be a while. What is this quest line gating?

The quest line is for access to Pirate's Cove, which is currently the last fishing spot available. It's very endgame, so if getting a pet to level 6 is intimidating, you don't have to worry about getting to it right now. You'll get access to Large Island first, which gives you tons of cash by (large) net fishing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Finally got green dragon to six! This sphere factory is excellent.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there any way to get peaches other than PR rewards?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

52% through corn jail!!!

High five, friend. I'm working on the 60% quest myself.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Pigs are handy and relatively cheap; 100m or so? Pig pen, feed mill, hedgehog to 4 or so for free broccoli. Bacon is nice for throwing in the well if you don't have a level 6 frog, and there are a few requests and/or exchange center trades that need bacon, so having some on hand is nice. That said, pigs really don't make all that much money - at best they're 3m silver/day at a like 75-100m startup cost, so you have better things to worry about.

At the same time, if the 100m to get pigs up and running is an impediment then pets really don't matter all that much to you. Pets really start mattering once you can get them to level 6 which will cost a minimum of 1.1b per pet.

e: I guess my advice is to focus on all the other stuff at the 100m level first - storehouse, farm row, getting orchard to max inventory/day, getting wood/boards to 200+, getting plenty of hay and stone production, etc. Once that's done and you can regularly get to 100m silver, pigs are probably a good bet before you target the 1b upgrades of storehouse, frog, farm row, macaw, etc. But pigs are mostly useful for having bacon on hand, not as much for silver production.

e2: Owl to 5 should be mentioned and is definitely more important than bacon imo.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 8, 2022

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That’s too bad. I’m staring down piles of gold fish in requests, and my fingers are not excited about it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Do you have the sawmill yet? If not, that’s the target. Go to the town in game, and then to the library, it has good starter advice. If you have the sawmill, focus on getting to half of your inventory cap in boards/wood each hour. Then add the quarry, similar production, then pick up the ironworks (but don’t upgrade it, there’s a great perk that makes it irrelevant other than making random drops).

But the sawmill will really accelerate your silver generation.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Just got my first billion. What should I spend it on? I'm still grinding out unlocking WC and some (I think) of corn jail. L6 Macaw? The 1B farm row?

Storehouse, then macaw, then farm, then frog (if you need leaves and feathers, then GD is the typical recommendation.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So like, do I finish corn jail 1 or work on corn jail 2? I"m at...92%? on Corn Jail 1, so I probably will just wrap that up.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I also got 1 bill far before I could craft large nets. I wasn’t as fussed about leveling exploration in mount banon and ember whatchacallit, just got antlers from forest and was ok voiding things. That slows down crafting a fair bit while getting you more silver.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Wishing well is bacon or…whatever the decent alternative is that I was throwing before I had pigs online, until you have the gold feathers and leaves to unlock WC (or the level 6 frog). Then swap to crab claws to look for geckoes until you have enough for tower and possibly Strange Consequences. Then I think you swap to something that can get you herbs or seaweed or spiked shells, but I haven’t gotten that far so don’t know.

E: feed and flour mill are low priority. They are needed for a few quests that you need bacon and flour for. They don’t generate all that much money, though.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 25, 2022

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks. I'll keep dumping silver into fruit and livestock.

Magicite. Magicite gets you feathers/leaves at 1/4 instead of the 1/3 from bacon.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oof, the exploration grind to 99 looks brutal. I'm about halfway there (at 92 exploration), and it looks like it needs...1.8 million stamina to get there, exclusively exploring WC? Or am I misreading the Farm Buddy calculator - that's with all the exploration xp perks and all the free explore chance perks, but not counting the stamina refund from grabbing apples, oranges, and lemons while exploring.

Now I just have to do some rough math on my daily stamina generation from the orchard (about 980 inv. cap) to figure out how long this will actually take.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Unponderable posted:

Check my post history, I did some napkin math on this the other day.

Thanks! I was guessing 60 days before calculating the refund for finding fruit, which is about what you found.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So I'm closing in on getting level 6 in all the pre-4x99 pets and wondering what my next silver goal ought to be. (Missing owl, hedgehog, tarantula, rock, and penguin. Probably going to hold off on owl, rock, and penguin for a while, likely until I've gotten to the first few 10b milestones.) I'm assuming it's saving the 10b to unlock the tower, then the 10b farm row and storehouse, then working on the 4x99 pets because I'll probably have finished my WC grind by then?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

If you're closeish to 4x99 I'd start saving the 13b or however much to need for all the non-onion 99 pets to level 6, as they speed up the ATI grind quite a bit as well as give you a bottomless supply of spheres and chests and keys.
After that, start putting your money into ATI hurdles and the storehouse's 10b upgrade.

I'd put the farm row at the bottom of all that.

I'm at 98, 99, 99, 92, so a few weeks out at a minimum.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The next event is supposed to be early August, right? Just trying to decide whether to save spheres for sale and whether to stockpile large nets.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How much do the 4x99 pets help with getting through the tower?

I'm on ATI 2, just spent the 2b on the first stage and I'm probably going to have the food for the second stage together today. (I have plenty of geckoes and spiked shells, but don't have much seaweed.) I'm trying to decide how to prioritize my large nets & silver - either saving silver for the ATI quest line, spending the silver on the 4x99 pets (I'm at 99/99/99/98 right now with 400k stamina saved up, so should be able to push it through when I feel like getting some carpal tunnel), throwing nets for catfish & seaweed, or I guess saving for the 10b farm row.

(I have the 10b storehouse and all the other pets to L6 other than owl, hedgehog, and penguin.)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm confused about Mega Beet seeds. It costs 500 beet seeds at the exchange center for 50 mega beet seeds, which yield ten beets when planted. Are they only for saving time I guess?

Basically. They are also much more efficient uses of grape juice. So if you have 4 grape juice per day, you can grow 1440 beets a day (at 36 crop slots), plus whatever you grow in the 24 hours (for me a bunch of corn or mushrooms, and some broccoli overnight), as opposed to just 144. That's a lot more silver and farm xp.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Finally hit 4x99! Huzzah!

And now this ATI quest takes 600 corn and 600 pumpkins…

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Storehouse for inventory first. Then probably keeping your orchard production maxed, then farm row and/or more sawmill production, depending on whether you've got access to good exploration locations, your skill levels, etc.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks. Up to ember lagoon right now. 69/67/78/74 skills. Did the storehouse, will ponder on the orchard upgrades. At 215/352/135 in the orchard. Sawmill seems like the fastest way to my next 250m assuming it's the same reward now that I can automatically not void more stuff.

You want orchard to get you your inventory cap of each of the different fruits each day. That maximizes your stamina income which is very valuable over the long term, because getting exploration to 99 is one of the hardest things to do.

Your medium-term goal is finding access to Large Island so you can throw nets (and once you can craft them, large nets) in there for unreasonable amounts of silver. I don't remember what the quests are that get you to LI, so you might just need to pound more silver for a while to get there. With the sawmill running (and especially the craftworks) you should be able to grind cash pretty well on sturdy shields, fancy pipes, and eventually lanterns. The library articles on 100 million and 1 billion are pretty helpful for more detailed advice.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Speaking of ATI, is there any way around the seaweed grind other than throwing billions of silver’s worth of large nets away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Might stop playing and find something else to idle with.