Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, uh, you can definitely write, friend. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

fresh_cheese posted:

“naaaaah thats just some stuff i put on paper to get it out of my head”.
This is like 95% of great art.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
drat, dude. Just, drat. Thank you for letting us read all this.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

In the book Armor by John Steakley
Pretty unrelated, but if this resonated with you and you haven't already, read The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley. It came out in the last few years and kind of uses Armor as a starting point for things to get much, much trippyer.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

The Forever War is post war, dealing with alienation and how was changes you.
The Forever War legit blew my drat mind. It's one of those books that you want to somehow erase from your mind so that you can read it again.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Carteret posted:

-Examples of Iraqi Mental Health

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I've read a bunch of the critically acclaimed books on the forever war (I'm a filthy civvy that didn't participate), and I don't think any one of them has painted as much of a picture of the Iraqi civilians as just some people trying to get through the day like everyone else. I loved reading these.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

If it's ok with the thread, I'd like to write a response to this sentiment. Not in a negative way or anything- it's just in a similar vein to what some friends have said to me.
It's your thread and we're just your rapt audience. Respond away!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

The thread isn't dead, and i haven't forgot. Just had some personal issues arise for a bit. 8+ pages coming tomorrow.
:f5h:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I didn't go for the easy analogy of '2001', but just an ape with a rock.

I'm not sure I've felt such unbridled glee since.
This is somehow incredibly wholesome.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've reached a point that I had to list the episodes I've shared. I know I will repeat myself enough already- I had to check before I started on a new episode.

Two pieces coming tomorrow.

Thanks as always.
:f5:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Also, maybe check in with Joe Kassabian from Lions Led By Donkeys. He published a book of his experiences and yours and his are very simpatico, though yours are better written. He's very active on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

We are here to read the stories as you feel like sharing them. We are not here expecting a Monday and Friday scheduled update like you were just making them in the factory.

You do you and we'll still be here to appreciate you.