Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

bulletsponge13 posted:

Sorry- didn't get enough down to finish a piece for tonight. But I wanted to do my daily thanks for you guys.

I honestly expected this thread to be dead already; I expected maybe one or two posters will comment, maybe a few more will read; I totally expected any sane reader to blow off the entire endeavor- scans of handwriting in the 21st century seems like it might be legal punishment in Alabama.

So thanks. It's really encouraging to see you guys commenting your enjoyment. It really is about you guys, too- 'war stories' of all types are a communal event. For thousands of years, these stories would have been shared by a fire, drinking, the storyteller finding volume from the listeners. Shay, in his works "Achilles in Vietnam" and "Odysseus in America" (among hundreds of others) theorize it was not only a way to pass on the wisdom and humor, but the bond around the fire allowed the Warriors (which I hate the term as applied in modern times) to decompress in steps, and the support of the community to ease the healing of wounds. That by listening, they bear some of the burden. That's what this is, and thank you.

In addition to the decompression and the sharing, according to my therapist there are studies that show just giving voice to trauma verbally can help us process it, and giving voice to feelings of all sorts can attenuate them. Apparently this can be true of happiness as well, so like don’t mention it if you are really feeling awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

bulletsponge13 posted:

Thread ain't dead, just in a coma.

TMI follows-
Last August, we had a house fire. Skipping a lot, our contractor made off with a lot of money, our house is not livable, and our temporary housing is over in 2 weeks. World is kinda nuts.

Is this contractor bonded? If so, go after his bond.