Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SerthVarnee posted:

Looks good to me, there is a letter or two that I kinda need to squint and turn my head little to work out, but other than that its solid and legible.
Only word I couldn't figure out was...cryptonesia? craptonesia? Its not a word I've run into before so I couldn't just read the word instead of the individual letters.

Cryptomnesia is what it's called when you recover a forgotten memory, but instead of experiencing it as a memory, you regard it as something new. It'd be like if you start humming "I will always love you" by Parton or Houston, but instead of remembering that it was an incredibly successful Country/RnB song, you (and this is very important) genuinely believe that you came up with the idea yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Khizan posted:

It's really good stuff, very evocative and moving.

Also, you have great handwriting. I was tempted to transcribe some of it, but I honestly think that the calligraphy of the poems adds something to them that would be taken away by converting it into whatever font the forums use.

The part with "You do not ask a trooper if they've killed" says something that isn't written on that page.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Picture related- terrible pic of a terrible pic, but Rippee (Bronze Star for valor, Purple Heart) and some of the gas station kids, including Osama bin Armless. Found on an old Facebook post from Rippee

Is Armless the "rawr Bear!" kid?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I always saw it used to describe darker skinned people largely as a physical description of olive skinned/darker complected white guys. poo poo, I've been called swarthy, and I look Semitic as hell. If I'm using it incorrectly, I can change it. Like Conan was described that way.

I never like Tolkien, so never read his poo poo. Failed 6th grade honor English because 'i refuse to read this terrible crap.' Like 9 pages of the emotional situation of grass on the field of battle only to pull a Stephen King- 'there was a battle. Afterwards, they feasted.' I should give him another chance.

As far as I know, the nuclear family line came from a bout of emotional frustration and the song 'The Great Unknown' by Dar Williams.

Your understanding is correct. It means darker skinned, but not black, usually. It's often used with bigoted connotations, but not always. Just be careful with it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SerthVarnee posted:

For Tolkien specifically?

I agree about it happening in general a lot more than three times, but I don't know about how many times Tolkien had to go through it.

Even once is probably enough to give someone some Thoughts about survivor's guilt. It kind of puts Frodo's ending in a new light for me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Reading this makes me so glad that my nephew didn't go Airborne. Instead, he's just a regular leg humping a mortar baseplate everywhere.

So yeah, he'll still have destroyed knees and herniated disks when he gets done, but maybe not as badly?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What does strap hanging mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah, well, I'm unhappy with the pace of this, I demand a full refund!