Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Josh Lyman posted:

A few notes start with:
-Your driver is probably the Hyper X
-Your Warrior SW is probably the same loft as that MG3 wedge so toss that poo poo in the trash
-Everything except for your irons and wedge can stand to be replaced.

If you're starting to play golf more seriously and want to upgrade, I always advise buying used if you know your specs or close enough to them. Clubs that are a couple generations old generally perform as well as newer models.

Your M4 irons/wedges and the MG3 wedge are pretty much the only thing worth keeping from your bag. A new putter probably isn't going to improve your game that much unless you just really hate yours or it's really poorly fit. There are a ton of used putters $50-100 that you would be happy with.

Stats show that the largest improvement to your scores comes from driving the ball better (straight and longer), so that's what I would recommend, especially considering what you currently have. I would look at used versions of the 2019-2020 models. The Callaway Mavrik Max, Cobra King SpeedZone Extreme, Titleist TS2, and TaylorMade SIM Max are all previous generation models that will perform well and can be found for $150-200.

Yeah pretty much everything except the M4s and the MG3 can be replaced. My coach today suggested either a new putter, a new driver or a fairway wood with the money. I'm torn between replacing something I have, or getting something I don't (i.e. 4 rescue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Omne posted:

Yeah pretty much everything except the M4s and the MG3 can be replaced. My coach today suggested either a new putter, a new driver or a fairway wood with the money. I'm torn between replacing something I have, or getting something I don't (i.e. 4 rescue).
You will use your driver 14 times each round. You won’t use a 4 rescue nearly as much. Get a driver.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Callaway preowned generally has good deals on their recent-but-not-brand-new lines, you can probably get a like new Mavrik driver for around $200 or Epic for like $250, depending on their inventory and which sales they're running on a particular week

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Josh Lyman posted:

You will use your driver 14 times each round. You won’t use a 4 rescue nearly as much. Get a driver.

Well I'll use a putter 30+ times each round, but I see your point. I'll look into a new driver. New Mavrik's are $299 vs. $205 for 'like new' pre-owned

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Omne posted:

Well I'll use a putter 30+ times each round, but I see your point. I'll look into a new driver. New Mavrik's are $299 vs. $205 for 'like new' pre-owned
Which is why I support getting a putter you like, but also I don’t think you should overpay for one if you’re still building out your set.

Callaway “like new” is really solid. $200 is a good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Josh Lyman posted:

Which is why I support getting a putter you like, but also I don’t think you should overpay for one if you’re still building out your set.

Callaway “like new” is really solid. $200 is a good value.

Well gently caress, that one is gone now. I'll keep looking