Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

EvilHawk posted:

I didn't think this episode was as strong as the other season openers (well gently caress nothing can beat that first episode) but even when it's not at the top of the game it's still one of the best shows on TV.

Spoilers below I guess:

The family subplot is such a key part of the show it feels bad for me to say I loving hate it. Ed's wife just seems to be there as a throwaway character, probably to open up the Ed/Karen/Danny terrible love triangle.

Margo remains the greatest, I love how she improves her office bedroom every season. Also getting Aleida to go to space is cool.

That space hotel is nowhere near good enough from a safety perspective. Hopefully this triggers a "private space enterprise might be a bad idea" movement but I guess not based on everything else.

My way early predictions for the season:
-Margo is going to get caught up in some espionage sting. There's no way the CIA aren't aware of her Russian boyfriend. Sadly I think Aleida will end up using some information she gets given through it and gets caught too.

-Ellen will beat Clinton and become President, and have to deal with the above. I'd say there's like a 90% chance she ends up being a one-term president (probably her homosexuality comes out? She's still pretending she's straight I assume?) and gives Margo a pardon when she leaves office.

-Ed and Danielle will both be going to Mars. One will command the Nasa mission, one will go with a private company, they'll both have to deal with the Russians/Chinese/both

-North Korea are going to do... something. Like I'm pretty sure there's going to be something wild where either they a) somehow have actually created a functioning space craft and beat them to North Korea, or b) end up causing some catastrophic incident (maybe on the Moon) that precipitates more US/USSR tensions.

All the alt-hist stuff is cool as hell and we get to do I'mGladShe'sDead.gif decades earlier

WRT the private enterprise space travel thing I reckon they will have a lot of commentary on it, the way they frame the trailers are it's now a 3 way race between USA, USSR + this "Helios" company for Mars, and you'd have to have some tensions there and the obvious one is to portray them as like, cowboys who aren't caring about safety or other norms somehow. Starting the season off with a private space company having a fatal malfunction isn't a coincidence either I'd imagine, several characters commented on "private space tourism!" "space is an unrelenting bitch" etc

I didn't mind the family side of it in S1, and in S2 I thought it was nice how they had them adopt a Vietnamese refugee, but jeez did it go downhill. As someone mentioned the anchors away bullshit was just pathetic. That scene of him not wanting her to go away is not necessarily a bad one but jfc that ending was pathetic.

Also... I just feel they wanted Ed and Karen to be divorced and made a storyline from there. Like they had a challenging marriage in S1, kid died, season ends... then in S2 they start off all fine again, new kid, she's got a new job and a sense of purpose and belonging. And then like. no scenes? of them fighting or him ignoring her, just him admitting he wanted to be in space but wanted to be home for his family, then her saying yeah go up in space again you really want it, then she goes and fucks a child and acts like it's some moral grey area to Ed when she drops it on him. "LIVE IN THE GREY!!!" like what a terrible storyline Jesus Christ why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
No manual fuel shutoff to the ring thruster? No counter thruster to slow rotation in case of emergency?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

EvilHawk posted:

-Margo is going to get caught up in some espionage sting. There's no way the CIA aren't aware of her Russian boyfriend. Sadly I think Aleida will end up using some information she gets given through it and gets caught too.

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah this is why I'm absolutely convinced there'll be some sort of espionage scandal plotline. The CIA will know this phonecall is happening and probably is fine with it as long as it's convenient, but something will happen (probably poo poo going wrong on Mars) and Margo will be exposed.

Grand Fromage posted:

Seems likely. Hard to believe the head of NASA has spent a decade exchanging secret phone calls with the Soviet Union without being noticed and monitored.

Aldrich Ames spent nearly a decade blatantly selling secrets to the soviets, openly meeting with them in the Soviet embassy, and living way above his means, without anyone suspecting him. You are all vastly overestimating the competence of the CIA.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 11, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Bosch posted:

No manual fuel shutoff to the ring thruster? No counter thruster to slow rotation in case of emergency?

This is a fictional TV show

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Admiral Bosch posted:

i'm not gonna rewatch it but in the immediate scenes after the disaster starts they say the fuel shutoff isn't working and the available counter-thrust isn't powerful enough

though the point is obviously to show that they didn't do a great job and doing poo poo in space is hard

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So season 1 is the moon landing season. Season 2 is the space base season. Season 3 is the Mars season. This show has a 7 season plan. What could the next four be?

Just taking some wild guesses
Season 4, going beyond our Solar System.
Season 5, First Contact.
Season 6, Alien Conflicts. In this season, an elderly Ed hits an alien with a cane.
season 7, Founding a Star Trek like federation.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 11, 2022

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The last season will just be the first season of the Expanse.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There'll be a whoopsie daisy gently caress-up season where they end up backsliding really badly / one of their colonies is cut off for a significant chunk of time.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
S4: Titan
S5: Mercury
S6: Extrasolar
S7: aliens posadism

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Listening to the podcast seems Ron Moore really likes the Danny/Karen plot line. Also he admits that when people criticize a plotline there’s part of him that wants to dig his heels in more.

Although I thought Ron was stepping down. Did he change his mind?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 11, 2022

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I didn't see a recap and it's been a while since I saw S2, was Karen's husband who died in the elevator Tracy's ex-husband? Also was kinda hoping Danny would be flung into space so we wouldn't get an awful KarenxDanny plotline.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Spacebump posted:

So season 1 is the moon landing season. Season 2 is the space base season. Season 3 is the Mars season. This show has a 7 season plan. What could the next four be?

Season 5, First Contact.
Season 6, Alien Conflicts. In this season, an elderly Ed hits an alien with a cane.

If we're heading a the Star Trek-ish future, first contact is a long way off in the 2060's and season 3 should be mostly about a take on Khan and the Eugenics wars, maybe that's what the NK stuff is leading to?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It would be cool if the show did a take on the Arthur C. Clarke style first contact, distant and unfathomable beings who just go "ALL OF THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT FOR EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE because screw you, that's why". This show has its silly bits, but I don't really like the idea of having 30 different alien species running around with slightly different forehead bumps. There's enough sci-fi shows like that already, dammit. :argh:

Also, the show seems to have at least a semi-realistic take on space travel so far, and it's just an unfortunate truth that without magical FTL stuff, there's really no point in trying manned missions to other solar systems. Either you're screwed by relativity out of anyone you ever knew and cared about, or it's some kind of ridiculous generation ship deal which would just suck for a whole bunch of other reasons.

I would like seeing Ed swing a cane at an alien, not gonna lie :allears:

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Rappaport posted:

I would like seeing Ed swing a cane at an alien, not gonna lie :allears:

I would like to see more of Doggy Cobb.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Spacebump posted:

Season 5, First Contact.

I'm thinking season 4 will the colonisation of the solar system, asteroid bases, moons of Jupiter etc. leaning heavily into the private spacetravel side of things (assuming the Mars stuff doesn't put a stop to all that).

Season 5 then the first attempt at leaving the solar system

Season 6 maybe first colony in another solar system (though making that different enough from moon base/mars base might be tricky)

Then finishing up with season 7 making first contact with an alien race. That makes it a nice bookend to the series, and avoids having to do any weird inter-species conflict.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

BooDooBoo posted:

If we're heading a the Star Trek-ish future, first contact is a long way off in the 2060's and season 3 should be mostly about a take on Khan and the Eugenics wars, maybe that's what the NK stuff is leading to?

I’m not sure they mean Star Trek as in aliens (although that would be fine), I think the context was Star Trek as in “optimistic, uplifting view of the future”.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

nexus6 posted:

I didn't see a recap and it's been a while since I saw S2, was Karen's husband who died in the elevator Tracy's ex-husband?

Yes.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Thatcher’s dead and the Apple Newton is a success. Truly, this is the greatest of all timelines.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My guessing:

Season 4: With viable fusion the colonization of the solar system can begin. Also fusion rockets make travel times short enough the outer solar system is accessible, so the main astronaut plotline is heading to Enceladus/Titan to look for life (or Europa if the writers forget about Jupiter's radiation belts). They find microbes.
Season 5: Conflicts over colonization and the proof that alien life exists.
Season 6: ?
Season 7: I definitely think ending with first contact is the plan. The question is how sci-fi is the show going to get. Is this just radio first contact, or are they going all the way to FTL sci-fi? I don't know, I'm inclined toward the former. Also affects whatever happens in season 6, are they going to go with Earth gets its poo poo together before first contact or first contact triggers Earth to get its poo poo together?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If each season is one decade, then a natural place to end would be season 6 as that’s the 2020s. It seems like a clear message of the show is that if we’d made different and better decisions in the past, we’d be living in an amazing sci-if future right now. Also, after that season the entire “things that actually happened in a different context” angle will be impossible.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
The Soviet union was the last chance for humankind

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And then the fire nation attacked.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Clearly the future lies in the North Korean space program

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BooDooBoo posted:

That 1992 space hotel looked exactly like a star trek set lol

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Karen is going to start sleeping with the young brother failson now, isn't she?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hoping that there’s a small blurb mentioning the bankruptcy and expropriation of a white-owned South African emerald mine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dpkg chopra posted:

Hoping that there’s a small blurb mentioning the bankruptcy and expropriation of a white-owned South African emerald mine.

"South African dipshit buys failing emerald mine, goes bankrupt. Failson sent to public school"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Child dies after being pushed down the stairs for mocking suicide, father agrees "it's for the best"

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Which season do they invent Cylons?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

mcmagic posted:

That 1992 space hotel looked exactly like a star trek set lol

Strong 2001 influence

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked the hotel. Feels sci-fi and futuristic but it's also something we could build right now if we really wanted to.

I don't think the diameter looked big enough to make a comfortable 1g without making the people aboard woozy from rotation but I can control myself.

Experiments suggest that for most people 3 RPM or lower is tolerable without getting motion sick, which means a minimum 100 meter radius for 1g.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 12, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was also hoping to see some cool coriolis tricks based on how small that thing was.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Does no one think they’ll use nukes on the moon? With it being split up between the two superpowers and they pointed out the gun escalation, it seems inevitable to me.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Not if we get one world government lets gooooo.

I really liked the episode, enjoyed the extended time skip catch up, and cherry on top was thatcher obliterated by the IRA. Makes up for how goofy it is to see the space shuttle near the moon (yes I know it's a nuke shuttle not ours, still doesn't feel right).

I was pleased to see the early LCD adoption (and seeing it mixed with CRT at NASA) but I agree I'd like to have seen 4.3 rather than 16.9. Also we missed out on the gloriously heavy rear end age of flat CRTS apparently.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm not sure what the point would be. Without an atmosphere there's no overpressure or fire, which are the main destructive parts of a nuke. The radiation burst would be worse I suppose without air to filter it, though lingering radiation wouldn't matter. I guess if something were buried deeply enough and you needed to bust down to it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

Does no one think they’ll use nukes on the moon? With it being split up between the two superpowers and they pointed out the gun escalation, it seems inevitable to me.

It feels like the signing of that treaty was a serious deescalation, and everyone is talking about Mars now anyway.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, if the general level of tech is around the mid-2000s era, it makes sense you would still have clunky PDAs and early 16:9 LCD/Plasma screens.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the Mars missions are gonna go horribly wrong. (The spinning out of control metaphor was pretty clear, IMO.)

My guess is that the corporate mission gets there first, but they cut so many corners and are so reliant on last minute saves that the mission ends up being disastrous.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tbh I doubt that this show is going to be as negative on private spaceflight as many seem to want it to be. Probably the conclusion will be that while they made some missteps, private spaceflight is an integral part of the mix going forward, regardless of whether that would be actually true or not. This isn’t a leftist show, it’s very firmly liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

This isn’t a leftist show

Let's be honest, what show is?

(Yes, I can think of three off the top of my head, but they're not common.)