Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I just realized we're rapidly approaching "X washed up politician as himself" territory

Patrick Leahey as himself, with guest star Christian Bale as Batman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Edward Mass posted:

Again, since George H.W. Bush is never chosen by Reagan to be his VP, the Bush dynasty never happens.

JEB! transcends your pitiful excuses.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Is it more likely or less likely that Bernie Sanders gets elected as Mayor in the 80s, and Congress in the 90s in a world where the USSR still exists and countries like Mexico elects a Marxist President?

I imagine as the show goes on, there's gonna be more original characters as politicians.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Wow! President Bernie!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Get the guy who played not-Bernie in Succession to play another not-Bernie, except this time he is on NKVD's payroll :getin:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Edward Mass posted:

Again, since George H.W. Bush is never chosen by Reagan to be his VP, the Bush dynasty never happens.

They mentioned a Bush last season.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Just make it Carter. He would have been 72 taking office in 1996.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It's going to be Jimmy Stevens as the far-right candidate 'of the people' to parallel Trump and be an active force against all of the goals of the space program.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I guess it all depends on how much White House manoeuvring we'll see this season, now that Jodie Balfour is no longer a regular. Would be strange to abandon that plot completely though.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Like the realization of the Sea Dragon or NERVA Shuttle before, I hope they take the abandoned plans to send Joey Fatone to Mir and expand it to a full N*sync concert in space. As a season opener.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Senor Tron posted:

A lot depends on if Ellen ran and won in 1996.

oh whoops i totally forgot season 3 was in her first term and not second

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

thedangergroove posted:

Like the realization of the Sea Dragon or NERVA Shuttle before, I hope they take the abandoned plans to send Joey Fatone to Mir and expand it to a full N*sync concert in space. As a season opener.

It was Lance Bass, not Joey Fatone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I doubt this universe is that much different that Lance doesn't still have that heart condition that prevents him from going to space.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
If a 134-year-old HGH-laden Ed can go to space, so can Lance Bass, godammit.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I hope they have an emo character. It's really the most memorable thing about the early '00s

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Season 4 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaKbUUdzOYw

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:lmao: North Korea are still a bad guy

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ve been thinking about starting this series and I was wondering if it’s ever explained where everyone gets the money to run these massive space programs. Like I would imagine the defense budget is nothing compared to the supply chain budget for the lunar and Martian colonies.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’ve been thinking about starting this series and I was wondering if it’s ever explained where everyone gets the money to run these massive space programs. Like I would imagine the defense budget is nothing compared to the supply chain budget for the lunar and Martian colonies.

The whole premise (which is accurate honestly), is that if the USSR and the USA didn't waste untold amounts on defense, we'd be able to actually do things. Considering how insane the defense budget is, that's true.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

They make a gently caress load of money from the patents and poo poo they mine.

So yeah they explain it.

Essentially it seems like anything we use today nasa holds the patent for and makes money from it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

First, the Cold War, later, mining helium-3 on the moon.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm glad the trailer shows some new, younger characters, considering Ed Baldwin has to be in the 70s by now.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hell yeah Daniel Stern!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That worldwide dip in the 90s was nice. :unsmith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm still roflcoptering over the fact that they are afraid to put China in as a potential villain that they made North Korea into a major space power.

Mr. Apollo posted:

For the US, the whole idea was that the US needed to beat the USSR in the space race. In our world, Russia beat the US at every step of the way. Russia got the first satellite, first animal, first man, first manned orbit, first woman, first space walk, first probe on the moon. I think maybe the US got the first rendezvous and docking. Then the US got the first man around the moon, and then the first man on the moon, and that was pretty much as far as people were willing to go at the time. The US finally "won" and the general public lost interest in space stuff and the US canceled the last few planned moon missions. People had more plans for living on the moon and even going to Mars, but the American public was bored, there was a war on, and Russia had basically given up on a moon mission and stuck to low Earth orbit. So space was done.

In this universe, it's kind of a spoiler, but it's the first scene of the show, and I can't explain the rest of this without saying it, Russia lands a person on the moon first. So this means that the US has to keep going in order to finally get a "win" in the space race. So the entirety of this show is the US trying to get a win in the space race but either losing or tying with Russia. Russia keeps going because they need to prove that they can maintain parity with the US.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

They mention things like the US pulling resources from Vietnam to focus on the competition in space. By the time of the 80s & 90s they have relatively cheap launch costs due to economies of scale, then nuclear powered launch vehicles, NASA is apparently running a profit, and fusion power is a thing meaning geopolitics would be very different than in our timeline.

Spoilering the below since it's speculation based on the trailer.

I'm doubling down on the big ending for the season being an independent Mars, probably with Ed and whatever Soviet equivalent they have for him as the elder statesmen founders.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Can't wait for the season premiere when Ed turns to camera and explains that our harmonious brothers in the People's Republic of China are not involved in the space race because they are dedicated to building True Communism and Paradise on Earth. The scene is delivered in perfect Mandarin and never referenced again.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gotta make sure you get that China market for AppleTV+

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
In fact, I feel confident that if the Chinese ever appear on screen in this show we are getting aliens within the season as a unifying threat.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Ugh, it seems like we haven't seen the last of Not-Elon Musk

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe we can get him together with the not-Elon Musk in Invasion and the not-Elon Musk in the Morning Show and the not-Elon Musk in Don't Look Up and the not-Elon Musk in DuckTales and make them all fight

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm not like a Sinologist but it seems to me if the show is about superpowers racing to space the conspicuous absence of China as a player would be more insulting than having them in the game, even as a Yellow Peril Boogieman.

Hell, I had a great time watching The Battle at Lake Changjin where MacArthur gets introduced like a loving Metal Gear Solid villain and US Airmen cackle gleefully and twirl their moustaches while strafing wounded Chinese soldiers; I can totally imagine a Chinese audience watching this for yucks to see what the dumb Yankees thought an alternate history Evil Space China would be like. Having loving North Korea essentially taking their place narratively (absolutely idiotic in an alternate timeline with an extant USSR for reasons I've said already in this thread) is just insulting.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 13, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not like a Sinologist but it seems to me if the show is about superpowers racing to space the conspicuous absence of China as a player would be more insulting than having them in the game, even as a Yellow Peril Boogieman.

Hell, I had a great time watching The Battle at Lake Changjin where MacArthur gets introduced like a loving Metal Gear Solid villain and US Airmen cackle gleefully and twirl their moustaches while strafing wounded Chinese soldiers; I can totally imagine a Chinese audience watching this for yucks to see what the dumb Yankees thought an alternate history Evil Space China would be like. Having loving North Korea essentially taking their place narratively (absolutely idiotic in an alternate timeline with an extant USSR for reasons I've said already in this thread) is just insulting.

China is currently developing a super secret and advanced society under the sea, like an underwater Wakanda and this will be revealed in season 5 and provide an air of superiority over all these idiots trying to figure stuff out in space.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s entirely possible that China didn’t develop the same way as it has in our timeline :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MarcusSA posted:

It’s entirely possible that China didn’t develop the same way as it has in our timeline :shrug:

Which makes lifting the Western conceptual geography of the DPRK whole cloth from our timeline all the more baffling a choice but I've said my piece on that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

There was a very interesting Jordan Harbinger podcast where he interviewed one of the higher ups at Marvel who explained how much of the movie business is changing scripts and everything to placate China to look better so that they can get access to that giant market.

So it stands to reason that Apple would do something that only shows China in a positive light or at least definitely not in a negative one.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Apple isn’t placating China for the Apple TV+ market; they’re doing it for the iPhone market (and supply chain).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Apple isn’t placating China for the Apple TV+ market; they’re doing it for the iPhone market (and supply chain).

Distinction without a difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Major difference actually: iPhones make money.