Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The show depicts, approvingly:
- USSR doesn’t fall (immediately, although it still seems a pretty grim place)
- No Thatcher (the IRA got lucky once this time)
- No HW Bush government
- Good stuff and advances coming primarily from government action
- Both the USSR and the USA having technical advancements that cover each others’ weak spots, with a strong implication that sharing this knowledge is a Good Thing

It’s not a leftist show in the way that, say, Severance is but it’s a pretty solid left-liberal one. Taking an ideological position that no private corporation can ever under any circumstances be shown to succeed at anything would be a lot dumber than the show runners have so far shown themselves to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Look the show will likely be nuanced on it anyway (aka not pure enough, up against the wall comrade) but I think if anyone was to walk away from the first episode and note notice the characters all being derogatory about private space flight and the very first episodes story being about private space flight literally killing people then idk what to say, it’s definitely not saying it’s da best

If we are talking politics of this show did anyone think it kinda rehabilitated Reagan a bit or am I just being an over reading into it goon? Having him see the handshake and immediately go and sign a treaty with Moscow makes it feel like he was good the whole time he just needed someone to show him the way or some poo poo.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

teacup posted:

If we are talking politics of this show did anyone think it kinda rehabilitated Reagan a bit or am I just being an over reading into it goon? Having him see the handshake and immediately go and sign a treaty with Moscow makes it feel like he was good the whole time he just needed someone to show him the way or some poo poo.

The Cold War we're seeing on the show is fairly different, so Reagan's politics would've been formed around that. Also his brain wasn't total sludge yet, which may have helped, may have not.

The show did bring in Lee loving Atwater, and I think to a viewer who didn't catch the reference he was presented as a... Not very offensive political operative? Obviously the plot narrative juxtaposed this vile creature of a man offering something to Ellen, who was having a personal crisis due to being in the closet. You could read it either way, but since they name-dropped him it's fairly obvious they wanted people to catch the reference.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Showing Lee Atwater and not having him be a racist piece of poo poo like he really was is a disservice.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ixnay posted:

They have a bunch of clips of alternate history news footage on the show page that go into the events a bit deeper:

These are neat, and I didn't notice them before. Thanks.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

rip sam cleveland, he tried to open the hard rock cafe in space and died

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i genuinely appreciated the war between the script and the direction in this opening episode because, while the actors really try to sell how glamorous the space hotel is with their dialogue, every shot makes it look sterile, claustrophobia-inducing, bereft of entertainment, and extremely deadly

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
This show is d&d liberal, wants most of the right things but doesn't know how to get there

I'm not sure a cspam leftist show would be allowed to air but amerikkka would not exist in it much less billionaires

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Space travel like this doesn’t exist in our world it certainly wouldn’t exist in the c spam utopia

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This show is extremely good and I'm so happy it's back. Also, it looks better and a lot more expensive than Obi-Wan Kenobi lol.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was kinda hoping the hotel would blow up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol that wedding dance song.

Eat poo poo Karen.

Overall it was a good episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno if I've said this before, but the show dunking on Karen and Ed is genuinely the funniest thing. They're both such massive arseholes, and then life turns around and repeatedly shits on them... Sometimes it's shockingly awful, like their kid dying, but mostly I just experience Schadenfreude.

e.g. Ed in this episode, between getting into that dick measuring competition with Danielle, the toxic relationship with his hot but seemingly otherwise unsuited to him wife... that bit where she goes to chuck her shoe right at his head and it lands on the bed and they both do a comedy beat like they've missed their stage cues... it's just funny.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

teacup posted:

Look the show will likely be nuanced on it anyway (aka not pure enough, up against the wall comrade) but I think if anyone was to walk away from the first episode and note notice the characters all being derogatory about private space flight and the very first episodes story being about private space flight literally killing people then idk what to say, it’s definitely not saying it’s da best

All the main characters are die-hard NASA heads, of course they're not keen on private spaceflight. I very much suspect that the season will conclude with them becoming convinced that actually this private spaceflight thing might not be so bad after all (and the precocious techbros will be forced to admit that actually the old guard still know some tricks).

I'm not really complaining, this show is about as left-wing as I can seriously expect a big budget TV show on this subject made by the world's first trillion dollar company to be. But those hoping for a total condemnation of Elon Musk are going to be disappointed, I suspect!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ed will hit him, with a cane :colbert:

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Rappaport posted:

Ed will hit him, with a cane :colbert:

Ed's broken hip will prevent him from leading the Nasa crew, so he'll get sad and then be offered cyborg/genetic upgrades, and lead the private spaceflight team.

Robostronaut Ed!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Now I'm just picturing this scene, with a despairing Ed clutching a dead Not-Elon, Ed understanding he will never get back into space without his cyborg bits.

:ohdear:

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Episode 1: I was expecting way more casualties than two redshirts and some character I barely remember. The cables whipping around like coked up snakes culminating in one sneaking up Danny at the end was kinda funny in retrospect.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

It feels like the signing of that treaty was a serious deescalation, and everyone is talking about Mars now anyway.

The treaty was signed before the discovery of Helium-3 deposits, Moon is now the Middle East.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
For All Mankind season 3: Come As You Ares

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

The treaty was signed before the discovery of Helium-3 deposits, Moon is now the Middle East.

My buddy raised the point: what's going on in the actual Middle East during this timeline, now that fossil fuels have been depreciated?

Or are they just not gonna touch that at all?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Open Source Idiom posted:

My buddy raised the point: what's going on in the actual Middle East during this timeline, now that fossil fuels have been depreciated?

Or are they just not gonna touch that at all?

The first Gulf War didn't happen. They had a blurb about it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Spacebump posted:

The first Gulf War didn't happen. They had a blurb about it.

Or rather, it did happen, but consisted just of Iraq gobbling up Kuwait and nothing else.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Madurai posted:

Or rather, it did happen, but consisted just of Iraq gobbling up Kuwait and nothing else.

Yup. They have a feature of news stories for each year between season. Iraq invaded Kuwait, President Gary Hart didn't want to act. Saudi Arabia got pissed, and with their own internal struggles with the oil market collapsing, they called off their relationship with the US.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Gary Hart refused to send troops to Kuwait. Prices of oil dropped dramatically. See the 1991 Kuwait Invasion little video for the pseudo Rush take.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I’m no space engineer but that whole out of control booster poo poo is still bothering me.

The fuel lines have to run from someplace. Like the drat booster wasn’t getting fuel from it self. They made a mention about the remote shutdown not working but gently caress just cut all the fuel to everything then deal with it in zero g.

I get that it’s a show but god drat it’s irritating me lol

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m no space engineer but that whole out of control booster poo poo is still bothering me.

The fuel lines have to run from someplace. Like the drat booster wasn’t getting fuel from it self. They made a mention about the remote shutdown not working but gently caress just cut all the fuel to everything then deal with it in zero g.

Each thruster has its own nuclear fusion generator maybe.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Each thruster has its own nuclear fusion generator maybe.

Ok maybe! But they are on a pylon which you can’t tell me there isn’t an inside access point someplace.

I love this show but sometimes it’s :argh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

but then the wedding would be ruined :negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The exchange of how to fix it was hilarious.

"We have a big thruster stuck open, we can't cancel it with our other thrusters, eventually it's going to spin the ring so fast that the whole thing gets torn apart. We're going to send two guys out to try to shut off the fuel"

"Can you wait until after the wedding to do that?"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That was the most realistic part of the show right there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MarcusSA posted:

That was the most realistic part of the show right there.

That and not loading everyone into a shuttle as a precaution instead of waiting and seeing how the EVAs went.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
So Karen is pretty much hosed financially.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

That and not loading everyone into a shuttle as a precaution instead of waiting and seeing how the EVAs went.
Even just getting everyone to the center of the ring station would be a sufficient precaution while awaiting the EVAs. They'd be safe from increasing gravity and also already in position to evacuate quickly if needed.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

maybe legally too. hope she goes to Space Prison

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why do you say that? Didn't she just inherit like a billion dollars?

bawfuls posted:

Even just getting everyone to the center of the ring station would be a sufficient precaution while awaiting the EVAs. They'd be safe from increasing gravity and also already in position to evacuate quickly if needed.

Yeah I was thinking this as well.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

As is the entire Space Hotel concept for at least a generation, unless there's some truly breathtaking spin control.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Madurai posted:

As is the entire Space Hotel concept for at least a generation, unless there's some truly breathtaking spin control.

I think the hotel has already proven they're very bad at spin control

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Lol, “Ohio Senator Jerry Springer”.

Glad to see that in this timeline someone taught him that cash is king when he was Mayor of Cincinnati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I saw a paper in the opening where the articles didn't match the headlines and it said "President Clinton." Sloppy work.