Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Apologies because I'm just catching up on this show now after watching it all over the last two months, but does it seem strange to anyone else that the show dropped Piscotty and Sally Ride after season 2? They got a bunch of time in that season and it seems like a show where the original cast is mostly going to be aging out or dead by season 4 has an opportunity with these time jumps to keep developing younger characters over time... but while they're doing that with Aleida, Piscotty and Ride feel like a missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cojawfee posted:

The stupid thing is that were building an ensemble in the 80s, and then they dumped all those characters and stuck with the apollo era characters.

Yes, I still find this decision totally baffling. It fits the structure of the show to let the first season characters go, and they started to develop their replacements, and then they just... went right back to an increasingly rickety eye-rolling sequence of events with a main cast where every character seems to be shoehorned in. I would much rather watch former space mutineers Redhead Guy and Sally Ride as they transition into leadership roles with a questionable relationship to the lionized leaders of the past, that's much better than Old Guy Suits Up For One Last Ride, Again, And Also His Wife And Kids Are In Charge Of Everything.

edit: oh, and also everyone younger than them is gone, too. oops all old people

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

bawfuls posted:

-it feels like it’s taking up space that could have been used by characters they introduced in season 2 but then killed or abandoned

Yeah, very bad choice to waste all this time on boring geriatric drama and danny while tossing out the s2 characters who seemed like they were going to be the next generation of leaders. If the beginning of season 4 doesn't involve a major course correction I'm probably out

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mokotow posted:

Of all the stuff I follow, I think this is the last one that doesn’t have a release date set yet. Filming wrapped in February, but I guess there’s a lot of CGI involved here.

colossal supercomputers struggling to render the sequence in which Karen ascends and becomes the immortal God King of the Moon

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

bawfuls posted:

A decade per season is a good pace, they just failed to commit to cycling characters in and out over time as they should

This is exactly the issue, it's a pretty bold move but one that could have paid off if they had committed to it. Sticking with increasingly extraneous characters instead of spending that time on the next generation was a mistake and I don't know if they can fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

my main reaction to the trailer: for the love of god, let ed baldwin die

it's gonna be season 8 and he's gonna have a face full of ridiculous old-age makeup, still inexplicably alive and in charge of everything