Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I just binged season 1 and 2 over the last few weeks, after bouncing off this last year having just watched the pilot. Goddamn it's a good show.

I'm gonna be watching Season 3 Ep 1 tonight so I'm not reading any posts right now, but what I'd love to know is has any of the cast or crew or apple confirmed if this is the last season, or if they have plans for more after this? I thought I read somewhere like "the conclusion" and now I'm worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Wafflecopper posted:

have ed's actor play his son in s5+ wow he looks just like his dad great casting

rip

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

EvilHawk posted:

I didn't think this episode was as strong as the other season openers (well gently caress nothing can beat that first episode) but even when it's not at the top of the game it's still one of the best shows on TV.

Spoilers below I guess:

The family subplot is such a key part of the show it feels bad for me to say I loving hate it. Ed's wife just seems to be there as a throwaway character, probably to open up the Ed/Karen/Danny terrible love triangle.

Margo remains the greatest, I love how she improves her office bedroom every season. Also getting Aleida to go to space is cool.

That space hotel is nowhere near good enough from a safety perspective. Hopefully this triggers a "private space enterprise might be a bad idea" movement but I guess not based on everything else.

My way early predictions for the season:
-Margo is going to get caught up in some espionage sting. There's no way the CIA aren't aware of her Russian boyfriend. Sadly I think Aleida will end up using some information she gets given through it and gets caught too.

-Ellen will beat Clinton and become President, and have to deal with the above. I'd say there's like a 90% chance she ends up being a one-term president (probably her homosexuality comes out? She's still pretending she's straight I assume?) and gives Margo a pardon when she leaves office.

-Ed and Danielle will both be going to Mars. One will command the Nasa mission, one will go with a private company, they'll both have to deal with the Russians/Chinese/both

-North Korea are going to do... something. Like I'm pretty sure there's going to be something wild where either they a) somehow have actually created a functioning space craft and beat them to North Korea, or b) end up causing some catastrophic incident (maybe on the Moon) that precipitates more US/USSR tensions.

All the alt-hist stuff is cool as hell and we get to do I'mGladShe'sDead.gif decades earlier

WRT the private enterprise space travel thing I reckon they will have a lot of commentary on it, the way they frame the trailers are it's now a 3 way race between USA, USSR + this "Helios" company for Mars, and you'd have to have some tensions there and the obvious one is to portray them as like, cowboys who aren't caring about safety or other norms somehow. Starting the season off with a private space company having a fatal malfunction isn't a coincidence either I'd imagine, several characters commented on "private space tourism!" "space is an unrelenting bitch" etc

I didn't mind the family side of it in S1, and in S2 I thought it was nice how they had them adopt a Vietnamese refugee, but jeez did it go downhill. As someone mentioned the anchors away bullshit was just pathetic. That scene of him not wanting her to go away is not necessarily a bad one but jfc that ending was pathetic.

Also... I just feel they wanted Ed and Karen to be divorced and made a storyline from there. Like they had a challenging marriage in S1, kid died, season ends... then in S2 they start off all fine again, new kid, she's got a new job and a sense of purpose and belonging. And then like. no scenes? of them fighting or him ignoring her, just him admitting he wanted to be in space but wanted to be home for his family, then her saying yeah go up in space again you really want it, then she goes and fucks a child and acts like it's some moral grey area to Ed when she drops it on him. "LIVE IN THE GREY!!!" like what a terrible storyline Jesus Christ why

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Look the show will likely be nuanced on it anyway (aka not pure enough, up against the wall comrade) but I think if anyone was to walk away from the first episode and note notice the characters all being derogatory about private space flight and the very first episodes story being about private space flight literally killing people then idk what to say, it’s definitely not saying it’s da best

If we are talking politics of this show did anyone think it kinda rehabilitated Reagan a bit or am I just being an over reading into it goon? Having him see the handshake and immediately go and sign a treaty with Moscow makes it feel like he was good the whole time he just needed someone to show him the way or some poo poo.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Space travel like this doesn’t exist in our world it certainly wouldn’t exist in the c spam utopia

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Just wanna say I told ya so anyone who thought this poo poo would idolise musk

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

mcmagic posted:

basically the only thing bad that happens in space is when the dumb non-US countries be gently caress up's.

Numerous US launches have killed their own astronauts so far? What are you talking about?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Open Source Idiom posted:

Re: this moon conspiracy.

It's been a while since last season, but a) most everything everyone's talking about in this episode is incorrect, and b) there actually was something dodgy involving the base's reactor, right?

Yeah what jackhunter said. The conspiracy largely seemed to be based off “it has to be a coverup because my hero American friend couldn’t have been killed by a ruski”

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Literally anyone thinking this is floating DADT as some sort of west wing / centrist compromise wonder just... stop watching TV.

They had some music going at the time is the only point in favour of this argument however

1. Husband suggested it, who has been since season 1 the "keep everything in the closet" dude even though she wanted to flirt with then idea of changing their lives. He has pushed her into politics and into bigger positions, even as she saw her out and proud ex lover living a happy life while she was stuck lying.

2. The numerous shots of her watching the TV looking despondent or the look on her face as she delivered the address make it clear she loving hates it

3. The show has consistently put social/political points on socially progressive points going faster than in real life, or making points with characters. tons of women in leadership positions, first women and black astronauts in space/moon going faster, woman president, immigrant acceptance with Aleida, etc. When things are bad it has explicitly called it out as "BAD".

4. The goddamn episode started with the black gay man looking at the Martian landscape and smiling, and ended with the black gay man who we are talking about looking out on a land millions of miles from home and realising that it loving changes nothing. How ANYONE can look at that and say "lol libby poo poo endorsing DADT" just again, stop watching TV if you can't read basic cues

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm probably gonna catch a sixer or worse for this, but I'm kinda ok with the Danny storyline. Everywhere humanity goes it brings its inner darkness along, it's kinda part of the deal. :hmmyes:

It’s way better this season imo

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I liked that episode? Goons too critical confirmed, idk how half the things you complain about are any worse than like, gordo in season 1 or 2 being allowed to do like anything

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Everyone who was saying the show was just gonna leave it as don’t ask don’t tell us good and this show is just a centrist talkpiece etc is dumb and I told you so!!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

tokin opposition posted:

representation isn't enough without change in the material conditions. still lib poo poo

Go watch a commie show then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It’s extremely weird how many goons wanted a forced abortion to be a storyline on this show Jfc