Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

Does no one think they’ll use nukes on the moon? With it being split up between the two superpowers and they pointed out the gun escalation, it seems inevitable to me.

It feels like the signing of that treaty was a serious deescalation, and everyone is talking about Mars now anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Lol, “Ohio Senator Jerry Springer”.

Glad to see that in this timeline someone taught him that cash is king when he was Mayor of Cincinnati.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Man, gently caress Molly. She was way out of line and the reason you have committees is to prevent stupid poo poo like “the old geezers club” from forming or deciding that it’s a great idea to turn the first mission to Mars into a two year “take your daughter to work day”. poo poo is too serious now for cowboys and loose cannons.

She couldn’t loving wait a few days to talk to Margo about what was going on, no, she “knew” better and she reaped what she sowed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, we're totally getting this instead of Clinton's various scandals

So my read on this was it's the show working in the very real argument that was leveled at NASA in the 80s by a lot of the original guys, when NASA started to churn out missions and started picking people by committee. The old guys felt like NASAs new process picked candidates less for qualification reasons and more "This will get NASA more attention and good PR!". It really took off post-Challenger when it was argued that because NASA really wanted their PR flight to go ahead (because McAuliffe was selected by that new process rather than the old process), it led to lapses in other areas, like not taking warnings seriously about O-Rings being dangerous at certain temperatures. I personally think it was 60% of the old school bitching because their way wasn't king anymore, and 40% "well, they do have a point", since NASA revamped their selection process shortly thereafter among other things. Riding Rockets by Mike Mullane goes into it a bit more.

I think he's referring to when she and Deke flew their rescue mission to the Moon, and she leaps for the fuel tank when they're trying to dock with Ed.

That's actually quite interesting, thanks for heads up!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bawfuls posted:

If Karen spent more time hanging with Wayne in S2 we might have been spared the Danny storyline. And Molly seems like she could have used some Wayne time in the midst of the fight with Margot.

This is a really great point.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Senor Tron posted:

Just got caught up with S3 and the tech really continues to feel a decade too early for me. I know it's an alternate timeline, but it's still only 25 years since Apollo 11. I really miss the retro feeling of the earlier seasons, with the name dropping of Aliens it makes me wish their ships were all decked out instead with CRTs and the like.

I just feel like that’s what happens when you fund NASA instead of bullshit wars in the Middle East.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah I get all that, I just don't know why Aleida would care so much. She's never been presented as this ultra-American person who wants to beat the Soviets.

I work in aerospace myself, and I just read it more as a personal insult than anything else. When you’ve been working on the design/testing/building/launching of something that big and you’ve spent years on it, you get attached to the project. Everyone who worked on it will say, “that’s my plane”.

Now throw in the fact you’re doing it not to make a buck, but to further legitimate scientific research and/or national pride and soft power? drat right she’d be pissed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bawfuls posted:

Yes, characters die doing heroic things in space

They don't get shamed and sent to prison for espionage, especially when the show has shown a bunch of KGB stuff without ever even mentioning the CIA

This show has spent 2 seasons setting up Margo-Aleida as a parallel to von Braun-Margo

I don't even think it's a great parallel to be honest.

von Braun used Nazi death camps for slave labor.
Margo traded information to the USSR space program in exchange for information useful to the NASA space program.

withak posted:

I think Margo is headed for a resigning in disgrace situation to parallel Von Braun. No writer in the world could resist that setup.

I think this is the reasonable outcome as well.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It's really weird that Helios, as a US company, is allowed to provide support for the USSR against US state interests. I would have presumed that any sort of equipment related to space travel or working outside the Earth's atmosphere would be controlled against export to the USSR and related nations. Like, there's absolutely nothing the US government can do to stop Helios from helping out? Or from commandeering their equipment to the benefit of the US government? I mean come on, it's the Cold War, shouldn't Helios be getting flack at least from the right to "helping the enemy" or some bullshit? Maybe that will be covered next episode.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sch posted:

The mission was always supposed to be two years, so we’ll definitely get a Mars baby.

I would have to imagine that NASA packed abortion pills just in case. You can still get some drama out of that though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey guys, I have to run these numbers by hand way over here away from the live data because even though I work for a techbro firm we’re too cheap to have the numbers calculated for us, have an excel spread sheet open with equations set up just to punch in variables or anything that looks like basic common sense.

Oh, and make sure I never consider making someone else run the numbers, doublecheck that numbers are being monitored, have no failsafes and have a raging rear end in a top hat that’s just been identified has being high as a kite in a major role. poo poo, the only thing keeping them from being Star Trek is that I presume there are fuses in their electrical system.

What in the gently caress were you thinking Ed?? Why didn’t you confine him to quarters on the orbiting ship until he was clean and sober? Why aren’t you monitoring the distribution of controlled substances on your base? I know techbros are incompetent but this is a bit rich.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It would be kinda of nice for once to see someone on tv who finds themselves suddenly pregnant respond with, "gently caress no, I don't want this baby" or "sure, I might want kids someday, but right now is a terrible time". You always see either a "long and careful consideration of the issue" or no discussion at all and they go forward with no plan at all.

I know it would piss people off, but they're on loving Mars with nothing for maternity care. Nothing. Did they even bring folic acid?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 29, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

It's season 3, this is when TVIV is scheduled to start being mad at whatever show is going on. Don't worry about it.

Anyway I am surprised they only have one MSAM but I guess the plot requires it. If they can't dig it out, it's tiny enough you could probably just yeet another one at Mars on a Sea Dragon and get it there regardless of launch window.

You'd think they'd bee yeeting all sorts of poo poo at Mars just to keep them constantly supplied and in case bad poo poo happens.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Real dick move of Bill to bring in the FBI before Aleida has had a chance to retain counsel.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Would she need counsel? She's pointing out a crime, she didn't commit it.

From the FBI's perspective, everyone says they didn't commit a crime. And maybe it's more of a "she hasn't committed a crime yet" situation - lying to the FBI is a crime. Are they going to put her through hell just because she was stressed out and had been interviewed for hours without a break and forgot or screwed up some detail? What if she does everything by the book and they're still convinced she did something or she's just an easier target because she isn't as politically connected as Margo is?

If you have a good lawyer with you, you have someone who will know and understand your rights better than you and know how to assert them. They will understand how to deal with the FBI and how to avoid bullshit with interrogations, polygraphs or worse. They will keep you from inadvertently feeding them things that can be twisted to hurt you later.

In short -

nooneofconsequence posted:

:siren: Never talk to cops without a lawyer. :siren:

Cold-war era Federal cops doubly.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Oasx posted:

Didn't the russians give Margo a lot of info that helped NASA?
I don't think it would help her avoid a charge of treason, but I think there is a better story in her defending her actions, rather than to run away.

Maybe I'm a bad tv watcher but I could have sworn that information was traded, not just handed over. I think it would have been much more interesting to see her defend herself rather than this O. Henry bullshit. I'm not saying she's clean by any means, but she wasn't selling poo poo for money or anything like that.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t think it came out of nowhere.
1) There was the conversation with Margot where the Russian lady says we can help you, do you want to rot in jail for 40 years?
2) Followed by (I think it came after?) Sergei getting his family lifted out of the Soviet Union and most importantly
3j Margot's big speech which she ended with “the room is yours” and performed a dramatic exit.

I think the bomb timing was just coincidence, Margot was on her way to the Soviets after her speech.

Is there a possibility here that Margot basically traded herself to the USSR to get Sergei and his family out, without Sergei knowing? After all, even the military said it would be a really tough job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I still can’t get over the fact that Danny was combining amphetamines and oxy in space and no one seemed to worry about having him on missions.

Imagine some near future scene where there is a congressional investigation, Danielle is called up as a witness and says, “yes, I warned Ed about Danny’s drug problems, I told him about avoiding the DUIs and he didn’t listen”. Monumentally stupid.