Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That was a really solid episode, with a nice mix of alt-history and cool spacecraft, and only a very light nod to all the family melodrama. Some great shots in there too including the aforementioned final one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

BooDooBoo posted:

If we're heading a the Star Trek-ish future, first contact is a long way off in the 2060's and season 3 should be mostly about a take on Khan and the Eugenics wars, maybe that's what the NK stuff is leading to?

I’m not sure they mean Star Trek as in aliens (although that would be fine), I think the context was Star Trek as in “optimistic, uplifting view of the future”.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

The show depicts, approvingly:
- USSR doesn’t fall (immediately, although it still seems a pretty grim place)
- No Thatcher (the IRA got lucky once this time)
- No HW Bush government
- Good stuff and advances coming primarily from government action
- Both the USSR and the USA having technical advancements that cover each others’ weak spots, with a strong implication that sharing this knowledge is a Good Thing

It’s not a leftist show in the way that, say, Severance is but it’s a pretty solid left-liberal one. Taking an ideological position that no private corporation can ever under any circumstances be shown to succeed at anything would be a lot dumber than the show runners have so far shown themselves to be.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

She’s very much in Margo’s image.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

That’s a hell of a cliffhanger to end on

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Ed showing up in blue power armour looking like a space marine.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

For those of you missing Gordo this season you really owe it to yourself to catch Patriot if you haven't yet. Imagine a spy thriller except everyone is very open and honest with each other about their thoughts and feelings.

“He sings folk songs about his time as an intelligence agent. They’re…getting increasingly honest”

Cut to Gordo singing
“Last year in Tehran…I killed a guy….”

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is not relevant to the plot of the show but Venus is so much loving easier to colonize than Mars.

You just have to live in floating aerostats…which is loving rad. We could have had Ed fighting carnivorous sky jellies in Cloud City, goddamit.

Yes I too want to live on a world described in that article as “in many ways…the hell planet.”

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I enjoyed it. Danny 100% deserves what he gets at the end, gently caress Danny. Ed is absolutely right to call him out on wanting to assuage his guilt by taking a one way trip on the MSAM, go back to Earth and take care of your wife and kid, dipshit. Even if he is largely repeating Ed’s mistakes as a parent.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Well there’s at least one very justified “this show is nuts and is losing its internal logical coherence in favour of uninteresting drama”, with which I agree.

I still like it though, nowhere else telling a somewhat optimistic story of how our species goes into space right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I basically watch it for the Kerbal North America Space Program stuff and largely skip the drama and it works for me. Some of the cast are clearly having fun though; the friendly Russian KGB guy chews the scenery like a pro.