Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I want Joel Kinnaman to somehow be in every decade of this show as an active astronaut. Ed just getting older and older but somehow still spaceflight capable and still driving that sports car from the 60s.

If the series doesn't end with a 1000-year-old cyborg Ed driving his Chevy through space with a warp engine attached, what is even the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Loved the various nods to 2001, especially the loudspeaker or whatever it was that straight-up looked like a monolith.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not actually bothered by LCD screens I just think using the older tech would give it a different look and be neat. I don't want the show to just look like generic sci-fi at some point.

I would also like it if they tuned the giddy tech optimism down a tad. I get that the premise of this show is pretty much a space nerd's wet dream of 'the world that could have been' had we poured money into NASA instead of new ways to kill people, and I'm totally onboard with that, but it would be nice if there were a few areas where they were actually inferior technologically, just to make things interesting and add a bit more texture to the setting. Kind of like in the Fallout universe where they had incredibly advanced robotics, supercomputers and AI by the late 21st century, but at a smaller scale had to rely on these lovely 8-bit microcomputer systems because they never developed transistors and microchips to same degree we did. FAM could do something similar where, if next season is set around our time, they could show that hand-held devices didn't progress much beyond the clunky PDA Margo's assistant was using, and that in 2022 everyone basically still uses a Nokia 6110 (on Titan).

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The last season will just be the first season of the Expanse.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Which season do they invent Cylons?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Karen's property game continues to rise. Last season she sold a bar. This season she's sold a space hotel. She'll probably sell a planet next season.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Gonna lol when the three ships arrive simultaneously in the exact same spot and try to barge each other out of the way to get planetside first, only to find that China has already secretly landed there and built a base.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Penitent posted:

I've been wondering how Moore and the writers will approach the big historical beats like the 2000 election, 9/11, and the war on terror and my theory is that they just won't.

Now that they've got Ellen in the white house and can show us the Presidential drama up close as an element of the show, my theory is that they will glaze past the 2000 election drama and substitute some other catastrophe appropriate to the fiction of the show in place of 9/11.

9/11 will be a North Korean rocket lawn darting into their Mars base (preferably right where Danny is standing, if Ed hasn't already murdered him by the end of this season).

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I may be misremembering, but back in season 1, didn't NASA find evidence that at least one of the Soviet lunar missions had crashed and killed its crew? I think the suggestion was that the Soviets got ahead simply because they took a lot of chances, and were way more 'seat-of-the-pants' than even the Soviets in our reality, not that they actually had better tech and planning this time around.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I think I read somewhere that RDM wasn't as involved in this season as the first 2? Maybe the downturn in writing is due to that, because it is definitely heading into the shitter. The way they engineered the disaster with Danny has to be some of the most laughably contrived bullshit I've ever seen.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

You could probably recut this episode to be less infuriating if you could make it look like they never put Danny on the controls, he was just hanging out in his anger corner (or up in Phoenix) because Ed put him on time out

but the thing still blew up because the remaining guy was trying to do his dumb spreadsheets and operate the comms at the same time

or it blew up because Ed or someone else forgot to bring the special space wrench because he was preoccupied fighting with Danny

or it blew up because it turned out Helios repurposed a discount oil rig and didn't have the staff to verify whether it would work

or it blew up because there's a goddamned sandworm they're drilling into, the spice must flow

Honestly the biggest mistake was having Ed know that he was popping pills, because there are just too many glaring questions that raises: Why wasn't he searched and all his pills confiscated? Why wasn't the drug cabinet secured properly? Why isn't he either confined to quarters or under constant observation by the doctor? Why is he still being given apparently important tasks if he's such an insubordinate, doped-up mess? This show has had a lot of forced dramatic moments, but by and large it's been at least somewhat believable or tolerable by TV fiction standards. But this one was a bit too much of a piss-take by the writers. I mean, if Ed just thought he was too much of a pussy who couldn't handle the pressure or whatever, then it would have worked ok: by Ed's dumbass toxic masculinity logic, he would have been giving Danny a chance to show he's a man, just like when he goaded Gordo before their test flight in season 2. But it doesn't make a lick of sense if Ed knows he's tripping balls, and everyone else on the crew knows it too now, Jesus.

Spacebump posted:

How many astronauts did each mission start with and how many are left?

The NASA mission started with 6. Two died in the incident with the Soviet ship, so they're down to 4: Danielle, Will, Kelly, and the Russian defector guy who's name I've forgotten

The Soviets started with 5. They lost one guy in that incident, so they were down to 4, but who knows how many they've just lost in the drilling disaster (the cosmonaut the show was focusing on getting caught in the debris at the end there might have been Alexei, I think).

I have no idea how many the HELIOS people have in total. On the Phoenix itself there could be dozens. But on the surface there seems to be six of them: Ed, Danny, Nick, the short-haired woman (Louisa?), the doctor guy and the older guy. Again, who knows how many of them were lost in the latest disaster (obviously not Ed and Danny).

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

Also, is Apple TV+ bad at streaming content? I'm on fiber but I got hella buffering / low quality video problems until I gave up and torrented it.

It's mostly fine for me with other shows, but I do seem to get a lot of audio/visual desync issues with this show specifically for some reason.

Mustache Ride posted:

What happened to nerdy spreadsheet guy?

RIP Nick. Saved by Stevenses on the Moon and then killed by one on Mars.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Mars babies are the future of the show. The move towards increasing amounts of melodrama is just preparing us for next season's teen adventures at Olympus Mons High.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
There have been several abortive attempts at a Mars trilogy show over the years. It's too bad they can't seem to make something happen even in this modern age of Bezos bucks and Netflix Originals. Hell Apple TV+ themselves basically already gave us a taste of space elevator collapse in Foundation.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I was honestly hoping the time skip would be bigger this time, maybe to the mid-late 21st century, the reason being that I'd love to see them actually explore the idea of starting a whole new society on another planet. Ellen's political story this season was honestly pretty boring, but a focus on the politics, ideology, law etc of an entirely new world could be awesome. Just go full Red Mars and explore the development of a Martian identity and a split with Earth, culminating in either a bloody revolution or an amicable separation. Of course, it would mean cleaning house of almost every character, and they obviously don't want to do that given how doggedly they're clinging to ol' Ed.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Does anyone else think it's kinda funny that all the regulars leave this show by dying? Like, no one just quits or becomes boring and moves away, they have to have a building fall on them or their plane drop off of the sky.

This is something that's killing the show for me a bit. Karen's son died horribly, her son's friend's parents both died horribly, her second husband died horribly, her ex-husband almost dies horribly a bunch of times, the father of her adopted daughter's baby dies horribly, said daughter and baby themselves come close to dying horribly, and then finally she herself dies . . . horribly. Molly's death was particularly gratuitous, particularly in light of the complete lack of scenes between her and Wayne this season, and her absence overall. I'm honestly surprised they restrained themselves enough to not have him overdose on a speedball or something. I get it's a drama show, but the 'every character who leaves gets a dramatic death' thing is ridiculously overplayed and on-the-nose. It would be ok to just have some of these people move away and get on with their lives. Let Molly and Wayne be a happy old retired hippy couple smoking dope in peace somewhere ffs.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

It worked in the sense that it was very funny.
I dunno, obviously China wasn't in the 90s what it is today, but it should've been clear it will be a major player.

I think KSR is just your typical Cold War gen kind of guy who was fixated on the Russia/America dynamic for anything space-related. He probably should've been a bit more forward-thinking about China's inevitable rise as a major power in space exploration, though, especially considering that other sci-fi writers around that time and earlier were able to do so - Arthur C. Clarke, for example (a Chinese mission to Europa is a major plot point in the book version of 2010, which came out a good 10 years before Red Mars).