Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The aborted Mars landing should be about the tradeoffs between human and automated piloting. Like, given how automated the whole ship was, there’s no reason why they wouldn’t have automated the actual landing. That would provoke some meaningful discussion about whether Ed did the right thing by wresting control of the ship.

But instead it looks like they’re just going for an echo of the Apollo 10 landing plus some boring character drama between Danny and Ed. I sometimes wish this show would think bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had totally forgotten they sent the NASA habs ahead of time. When they panned from the landing to the astronauts looking over the habs I was super confused and thought they were genuinely going for a “Someone else is already here” storyline. That might have been fun, at least.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

Based on what the story has provided so far, if I was writing this, the rest of the season will involve Kelly having to reveal to Danielle that she is pregnant and wants to keep it (otherwise this is a simple fix...oops, no, that conversation will get hashed out in awful '90s-vocabulary, too). Danielle is like "awesome, you're going back to earth right now, then" because she is the only sane person on Mars. She wants Kelly at least up on the Phoenix where the baby can develop on a semblance of gravity and they have the best facilities if she gives birth on the trip back. Ed does Ed poo poo until he calms and gets his head on straight. Being that he has full control of the Phoenix, Ed announces that they will be heading back to Earth today. He demands that Kelly's Russian fuckboi has to come alone, that causes an internal incident, but Ed gets his one good Ed idea for the season and uses his authority as captain to marry Kelly and Fuckboi. Ta-da, Fuckboi now can apply for asylum or whatever and it be kosher. Meanwhile, Danny continues to do Danny poo poo, and none of that is as fun as Ed poo poo. He does not react well to Ed scrapping the Mars mission. Completely bonkers on pills, Danny screams "you're not my dad" and finally uses his computer back door to hijack the ship. This somehow causes a life and death situation that only Ed can resolve by beating the ever loving poo poo out of Danny and then sacrificing himself like the goddam American hero he is. Margo resolves her plot line by doing Margo poo poo, but it damages all of her personal and work relationships.

That's my what my dumb narrative seeking brain sees, anyway. Trying to figure where to fit in the ultimate revelation of Karen/Danny to Ed without Ed spacing Danny too early to be a threat in the third act.
Space abortion is going to be unironically the best direction they can take this

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Steamy greenhouse broken-AC Mars sex is why I tuned in in the first place

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s too obvious a ticking time bomb. I think they’ll end up having it come into play only when she’s out of office. The conservatives willl renounce her and the libs will call her a traitor. It’ll be looped over her mourning over how little she did for the gays.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I thought the scene where doctor decides he needs to drill a hole in Russian dude’s head to be kinda nuts. Like, my first thought was he got a concussion. I don’t know how you diagnose someone with brain pressure stuff just by looking at them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This baby subplot is a great idea and I hope it doesn’t meaningfully intersect with whatever crap they’re leading to with the Dan Stevens subplot.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Pretty loving obvious when you had a prior blunt force head injury, nauseating headaches, and one of the pupils is slow to react or whatever.
Those are also the symptoms of about ten other things. I’m just saying you’d perform more than a cursory inspection before deciding to drill into
someone’s skull.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This show got so batshit crazy it just became great. Loved gay president, loved north korean cosmonaut. Lmao.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If she’s giving birth on the Phoenix then it’s not really a Mars birth is it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Would she need counsel? She's pointing out a crime, she didn't commit it.
Could she be implicated for withholding information? Seems like that’s exactly what she told the FBI she would do.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m never sold by the actor playing Dev. Maybe it’s also because his character hasn’t been given much depth. But I don’t buy him as a Musk analog, and that whole monologue about his poor upbringing was incredibly didactic and… boring. Now they’ve appeared to write him out and all I can say is, blegh. That went nowhere.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That scene at Helios made me howl with laughter. The dialogue they wrote for the extras was so bad. “What about my mortgage??” lmao

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’d be happy if this show took a utopian turn. It’s too easy to imagine a lovely awful Earth where space just seems like such a good alternative.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was confused by that too.

About the Wayne/Molly thing, I found it pretty funny how they never appeared in the same episode this season — for increasingly contrived reasons. When each did show up, they made sure to make it a big part of the episode. It was transparently a budgetary decision lol.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think it’s been mentioned in this thread but I can’t believe they totally skipped over the prospect of abortion. Yes this wasn’t written in 2022 to my knowledge but the repeal of Roe v Wade has been looming for years. l

They also totally skipped over the tension of what nationality the baby would be. I guess it’s theoretically still within scope in a time-skipped next season but that was a whole lot of nothing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I liked North Korea much better when it was a throwaway joke in the first episode. First man on Mars is just a lol.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

This show owns. Y'all are a bunch of cry babies.

Karen's story was fuckin done. We absolutely did not need to see her being a #girlboss CEO next season. Her story arc was complete.
What thread are you reading, I don’t think literally a single person wanted Karen’s story to continue.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Aren't like a bunch of the NASA people supposed to be from Texas. The base itself is in Texas at least. Seemed like it'd be a hotbed of homophobia.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I hope the season starts with them burying the characters that aren’t coming back so we know for sure they’re not coming back

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lol if you think it won’t be another old astronaut

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I agree especially after the bombing.
Country reelected Bush after 9/11. If anything I imagine the bombing of a space agency should galvanize support for a former astronaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Apple isn’t placating China for the Apple TV+ market; they’re doing it for the iPhone market (and supply chain).