Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I didn't see a recap and it's been a while since I saw S2, was Karen's husband who died in the elevator Tracy's ex-husband? Also was kinda hoping Danny would be flung into space so we wouldn't get an awful KarenxDanny plotline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

I see the private trip being more "Nasa/the Soviets have prepared for years to do this and you've thrown this mission together" than anyone being evil. Nasa and the Soviets have been (quietly) working together to try and avoid any disasters, but Helios hasn't, so I suspect that will be what goes wrong on the way to Mars.

Not to mention they've decided to go years before the establishment have decided it's a good idea. Nasa/the Soviets are either going to have to cut a lot of corners to go up sooner, hope the Helios mission goes wrong/is delayed or straight up sabotage it, which I can't see Nasa doing but certainly the Soviets would.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Danny's going to confess to Ed in space, isn't he?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Mokotow posted:

Calling it now - all three crews end up on one ship heading to Mars, resulting in a huge slap fight about who gets to walk the planet first.

They will all end up on the Helios ship, argue about who gets to set foot on Mars first before agreeing to all do it at the same time. They'll get to Mars though and discover North Korea/China has already beaten them all.

I was hoping they'd incorporate the communications delay, but how did NASA

a) have a real time feed of what the Russian ship's engine temperature was and
b) have no delay in seeing that but a 5 minute delay in radio comms

or am I misreading the scene and that temperature readout was on a 5 minute delay too so by the time NASA saw it was an issue it would have already been too late?

edit: I thought the Russian ship was gonna be armed and that whole radio warning to Kelly was just before they launched missiles or something.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 2, 2022

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

TIP posted:

absolutely nothing indicated they were getting the russian engine temperature faster than light, did a character need to mention the 5 minute delay in regards to every individual thing?

"The Russian engines started overheating 5 minutes ago!"
"Why didn't you tell me 5 minutes ago!?"
"Due to the 5 minute delay we just found out."

I guess I misinterpreted it then.

"poo poo, the Russian engines are overheating now. I'll send a warning!"
"They won't get the warning for 5 minutes"

not

"Those readings are 5 minutes old, they won't get the warning until too late"

Still don't understand why Houston is receiving readings from the Russian spacecraft though.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Loved seeing Wayne again but I think the show missed the perfect opportunity to kill both Ed and Danny by smashing them into the Martian surface, right as Danny revealed 'I am the other guy' and Ed was having those Apollo 10 flashbacks 'not again'.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I don't remember, did Larry tell Pam to stay away from Ellen last season or did she decide to do that on her own?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Have I misuderstood something? I thought the whole point of looting the North Korean space module/casket was to borrow a docking module. But it turns out that the MSAM doesn't even have enough fuel, even with everybody stepping out, to get to Phoenix anyway so you don't need a docking module. Did they just not figure that out until after everyone got back?

e: Also I was sure there was going to be a reason for the NK guy being there other than 'well, there's a guy here' like get necessary fuel or supplies from his ship or something.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If I recall correctly, the ill-conceived pregnancy added a time crunch element that didn't previously exist. If Kelly hadn't needed to get to the Phoenix right away they could have eventually refined enough fuel to make the trip up and back as necessary.

Another example of how Kelly's dumb pregnancy was a fantastic detriment to the health and safety of her coworkers.

That still doesn't explain why they had to go get a chip or something.

"Kelly's gotta go right away!"
"But there's not enough fuel!"
"Nevermind that, we don't have a functioning docking module! Go get one!"