Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bawfuls posted:

She realized a lifelong dream in the last episode but her son was too young and adhd to care, her developing-dementia father was more concerned about his misplaced watch, and her husband was ???

Seemed like they’re setting something up there with her family being so disconnected from her personal triumph.

I think one point of the scene was to show how routine travel to the moon and work there has become. It was just a random rear end call from work. It's something that will probably show up on her monthly bill as a regular long distance video call and nobody at home was even waiting around for it or was particularly psyched about it. People are on the moon, so what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

in what world would a kgb director be authorized to straight-up murder the head of the soviet space programme in any context

I don't think they intended to kill him in that London hotel room while the conference was going on. It would have made literally zero sense. The threat was clearly that he could "step down" at any point point and disappear forever and Margo would be left suspecting that he is dead for the rest of her life(whether they would actually kill him or not doesn't matter, the threat is credible enough that Margo would have to live with the doubt). They started choking him to get an emotional reaction out of her. Seeing someone you love dieing puts a lot more pressure on you than an abstract threat.

But yeah, as far as we know stuff like that didn't happen anymore post-Stalin. Dissidents were often imprisoned and defectors assassinated, but I can't think of a case of straight up sanctioned murder of a normal a citizen in good standing. Especially considering that Gorbachev is in power and he was generally more liberal. But of course Margo doesn't have that hindsight knowledge and has no idea how far they are actually willing to go.

Silly Burrito posted:

I know the answer is because otherwise there is no drama in the race, but if Helios' ship was in orbit already, why couldn't they work in secret and go to Mars in 1994 when everyone else was planning to go in 1996? They don't need to launch from Earth or the moon, so you don't need to set that up. You could work in secret with the training/command crew. Helios could've had a two year start.

They weren't ready to launch in 94. It takes years of preparation, planning, training an testing. Stuff like the air locks of the habitat alone are probably a multi million development project that takes years and a team of engineers. It's a massive undertaking. They were still tinkering with the engines in 94. You also can't do something like that in secret. Space is a national security concerns, so contracting to build a huge as gently caress ship in orbit is not gonna go unnoticed.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 26, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

I wonder if Chernobyl will happen on the Soviet flight and that'll be the kicker this season.

You didn't see graphite flying by the window, because it wasn't there. Someone get this man to sick bay, he is clearly delusional.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I get that they need to create drama and tension on a boring journey somehow, but the ~secret~ solar sail was super contrived. Would a tiny sail like that even create any significant force with such a massive ship?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Also why are they making the failson look so weird. I looked up pictures of him on the internet and he looks normal.

The 90s were just a really dark age for fashion and hairstyles. We didn't have the looming threat of communism anymore to keep us in line and everything started to come apart

e: now that I think about it, the Soviet Union still exists in the show so there is no excuse for the lovely fashion

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Penitent posted:

I don't understand what they are trying to do with the awkward Danny story line.

Probably the same thing as with Gordo and his mental breakdown. Life in space is hard on the mind. We saw how a stable person deals with it, now we gonna see another possible outcome.

I hope we get that door scene from the shining with Danny breaking through an airlock with an axe screaming "Hiiiiii Booob!" out of this :unsmigghh:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Season 4: Mars base!

Season 5: Journey to the Jovian system from the Mars base. Season ends with the discovery of life on Europa

Season 6: Astrobiology research station around Jupiter. Season ends with project Deadalus taking off to the closest star system

Season 7: 70 years time skip, Deadalus ship reports a semi habitable planet with life. Cryo sleep expedition to the Deadalus star! 70 year time skip mid-season and then colony plot on the habitable planet. Show ends with mankind having become a multi-stellar species

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah I get all that, I just don't know why Aleida would care so much. She's never been presented as this ultra-American person who wants to beat the Soviets.

From NASA's perspective Russian presence on the moon has been very detrimental (stole the mining site, almost destroyed Jamestown, caused the death of astronauts). And now the same thing seems to be happening with Mars(almost caused the destruction of Sojourner, recklessly caused the death of NASA astronauts). I can totally imagine people would be furious to find out that it was only possible because someone has been selling them NASA tech (for possibly frivolous reasons like greed).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Overall Danielle is great, but attempting the landing when she did was absolutely 100% the wrong decision. Ed could take the chance because it was a smaller craft with just his and Danny's life on the line, and they also had full abort capability for if conditions ended up not clearing.

Danielle put the entire mission on the line and very nearly killed them all.

Yeah, I'm getting really conflicting messages from the writers here. She is consistently portrayed as the most adult and responsible person in the room, but then just goes ahead and does probably the most reckless and stupid decision we have seen yet on this show just for some bragging rights for NASA. Like, Ed took a good look at Danny and decided that it's not worth it. Danielle took a good look at her crew and went full on "Valhalla awaits!":jeb:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm probably gonna catch a sixer or worse for this, but I'm kinda ok with the Danny storyline. Everywhere humanity goes it brings its inner darkness along, it's kinda part of the deal. :hmmyes:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't even remember what the deal with Gordo's hosed up kids is. They went through a divorce and then their parents died under tragic circumstances. And Karen hosed Danny(for which she still has to suffer any consequences). Anything else?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like there are just scenes missing from the episode. Stuff they wrote & filmed but just cut out at the end. Like a scene where Ed confronts Denny in private first, without much success, leading to the public confrontation. A scene where Ed confiscates the meds. A scene where Denny gets clean and rebuilds some trust with the crew. A scene where Denny uses his admin access to get the meds back after watching a message from Karen.

Also, lmao, I have absolutely no idea how old Gordo's earth based kid is supposed to be. I mean, the actor looks like a 40 year old man in a bad wig, but of course that doesn't mean anything. I assumed he is a 20 something college dropout living with his brother, but then his room looks like he's in highschool.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

while this season has overall been good (with some stumbles here and there and a few absolute poo poo garbage moments), the story of the DPRK somehow getting to Mars would have been far better, and that ending made me sad we didn't get that show.

this tiny underdog country that absolutely no one expected, kludging together, not only a manned space program, but a successful manned Mars mission, out of obsolete Soviet space technology and dogged determination. an entire season of trying to solve the extreme engineering challenges of a manned Mars mission without any fancy nuclear thermal engines, solar sails, spin gravity, superpower-level industrial capacity and capital, or decades of experience in manned spaceflight. yeeting a guy into deep loving space in an old Soyuz capsule atop a rocket made out of trash and duct tape. basically the writers have created a world where Kerbal Space Program is real and was happening just off screen this whole time. it's completely ridiculous and completely shatters any pretext the show had of being plausible alternate history, but it would also be incredibly entertaining, and using it as an episode-ending plot twist like this just seems like such a goddamn waste.

You gotta put some big rear end quotes around manned space program here though. If you don't plan to bring the astronaut home or do any serious science on Mars you can probably cut 2/3 of the technology requirements and it becomes a much, much simpler challenge. In real life the Soviet Union managed to land on Mars in the 70s already and what NK did doesn't seem to be substantially more advanced.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Niwrad posted:

I thought they would come across a North Korean capsule and find a dead body. Total suicide mission so they could say they won the race. Would have been a really interesting wrinkle. Then the added politics of everyone else admitting they were beat to Mars (and whether they tried to hide it).

The twist that he is alive and well is incredibly dumb. Not just surviving the landing in an old outdated ship, but somehow staying alive for months.

It's enjoyable for what it is but it's now below average SyFy channel writing with a much bigger budget.

I'm not sure how NK could spin this into anything positive. It's going to be looked at as cruel and barbaric. Nobody is going to care about them having the first boot on the ground. The point of the space race from the Soviet perspective was to demonstrate that their society had achieved technological parity or even superiority to the west. The Sputnik shock created credibility and prestige for them in the west. They could have shot someone to the moon in a one-way trip before the US, but it would have been seen as primitive, barbaric and desperate. It's not a win.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

The entire space race bullshit was stupid dick measuring that got like four people killed, no sure why you think the stupidest guy with the biggest dick doesn't win in a dick measuring contest.

The idiot driving a qaud bike through the finishing line at a marathon is not the winner of the marathon, nor has he accomplished anything noteworthy. It's just some idiot on a quad bike.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

While it's physically impossible to bring two people to Mars in a Soyuz capsule and land them safely, there is also the psychological aspect. It's gonna be very hard to keep them sane for 6 months while they are stuck in a room the size of a closet and under constant psychological pressure. You'd probably have to hand them a garbage bag full of opiates and pray for the best.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

At this point I'm just fully embracing that Ed is going to continue being the lead astronaut/commander on missions into his 90s (and maybe beyond!)

The actor can play Ed's grandson in 2003. BCS had a ~50y old Aaron Paul play a 20y old and it worked. Gordo's second failchild is clearly over 40 and playing a 20y old. gently caress it, nobody cares anymore

e: ok, just remembered that the kid is half vietnamese. I think it can still work

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Actual real world basket case north Korea has nukes and ballistic missiles. I don't think it's unrealistic for Space Universe Notth Korea to make it up there.

Maybe, but not the way it was portrayed. Taking two living people to the surface of Mars in a modified Soyuz is just too wild. It's like showing that Columbus swam to the Americas.

I think the theory that the season was originally written with China in mind and Apple vetoed it makes the most sense. IIRC something like that happened with the Red Dawn remake. They had to switch China out with North Korea in post-production using CGI.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

lol Imagine if Russia was a serious player on the world stage and had to be appeased. "Sir, the uh, Chechens, have landed on Mars."

China is somewhat special here because market access for foreign media is heavily politicized. IIRC they have all kinds of restrictions on what foreign media and how much of it is allowed to be released each year. And then there are also highly organized boycotts and protests of companies that fall out of favor with the government. I completely understand Apple's decision to go nowhere near that kind of minefield.

In comparisons, Russian chuds and boomers were pretty salty about the Chernobyl HBO series, but it never materialized into anything concerning for HBO. I have an older Russian relative who was extremely pissed about the series and I never gotten any coherent answer out of them why except for some bullshit "it's very inaccurate, there was no canned cat food back then and that's not how we held cigarettes when smoking". Yeah, no, that's not even a minefield, it's just mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I hope they have an emo character. It's really the most memorable thing about the early '00s