Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If the Star Trek future happens then that means that the commies did win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The true benefits of investment in spaceflight that Ron Moore wants to promote is that it means that your ageing over 25 years will just mean you look the same but with some grey sprinkled in your hair.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Thatcher’s dead and the Apple Newton is a success. Truly, this is the greatest of all timelines.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If each season is one decade, then a natural place to end would be season 6 as that’s the 2020s. It seems like a clear message of the show is that if we’d made different and better decisions in the past, we’d be living in an amazing sci-if future right now. Also, after that season the entire “things that actually happened in a different context” angle will be impossible.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tbh I doubt that this show is going to be as negative on private spaceflight as many seem to want it to be. Probably the conclusion will be that while they made some missteps, private spaceflight is an integral part of the mix going forward, regardless of whether that would be actually true or not. This isn’t a leftist show, it’s very firmly liberal.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

teacup posted:

Look the show will likely be nuanced on it anyway (aka not pure enough, up against the wall comrade) but I think if anyone was to walk away from the first episode and note notice the characters all being derogatory about private space flight and the very first episodes story being about private space flight literally killing people then idk what to say, it’s definitely not saying it’s da best

All the main characters are die-hard NASA heads, of course they're not keen on private spaceflight. I very much suspect that the season will conclude with them becoming convinced that actually this private spaceflight thing might not be so bad after all (and the precocious techbros will be forced to admit that actually the old guard still know some tricks).

I'm not really complaining, this show is about as left-wing as I can seriously expect a big budget TV show on this subject made by the world's first trillion dollar company to be. But those hoping for a total condemnation of Elon Musk are going to be disappointed, I suspect!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Kind of weird that all the screens in the alterna-90s are 16:9 flatscreens, but all the news footage we see is 4:3.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

NASA went to Mars in a little ship for the people and then sent the rest of the cargo separately. Soviets and Helios just made big ships that would take the whole shebang along. So presumably a bunch of modules from the Helios ship will detach and land on the planet. Also likely that the NASA ship will get back to orbit by setting up a proper launch pad (and maybe a booster?) with the cargo.

That said, the show previously made a big deal about them needing to send the cargo on an ambitious slingshot around Venus to make it in time. It wouldn't surprise me if that ended in failure somehow and the NASA/Soviet crew had to cooperate with the Helios crew to set up a joint base.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The entire point of this show is that investing in space led to huge benefits to humanity: technologically, scientifically, economically, and most importantly socially. Remember, this show posited that merely landing some women on the moon would advance women’s rights to the point where the operational, personnel, and political heads of NASA were all women in the 1980s.

By the end of this season gay rights will have been pushed beyond what happened in reality with Don’t Ask Don’t Tell happening around the same time.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

i appreciate the two gay guys poo poo talking larry at the end but this same "perfect compromise" bullshit goes down bad when trans people are at legitimate risk of having our existence bartered over in the same way in 2022/24.

By the end of the season Ellen will announce that actually DADT didn’t go far enough and will probably just completely lift the ban on gays in the military.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think people are being too hard on zonked-out Danny stuff. People in high-pressure situations and professions taking drugs to cope is incredibly common, a fact that Ed acknowledges when he says “think I haven’t seen a pilot high on go-pills before?” Ed, clearly having a blind spot with Danny, and a rather old-fashioned attitude that fits with his character, thinks it’s unacceptable but not a big deal, and that a stern talking-to will sort everything out. Danny gets given a boring simple job that he shares with another person who can cover for him, but it turns out that not only is Danny far more off his face than Ed realised, but he had to actively want to potentially kill Ed to allow things to go as badly as they did. The episode was weak because it was all setup, or continuations of plot lines that we already know where they’re going, with little payoff. But everything that happened in the episode was pretty reasonable.

I wonder if when Almeida inevitably confronts Margo she will explicitly layout the themes of the show and basically say “yeah of course I’ve been giving the Soviets info! Imagine what would have happened if we’d got to the Moon first - funding would have been cut and none of the progress we’ve made in space would have happened. We need the Soviets there to keep pushing us to improve. I don’t give a gently caress about America or the Soviet Union, we’re doing this… *looks at camera* For All Mankind.”

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Relevant:

https://twitter.com/independent/status/1550819035587166208

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Ok I've got a theory on where Will Tyler (the gay astronaut) is going in the story.

Assuming they do a similar thing to Apollo Soyuz, where the symbolic mission was enough to change the world, I think he is going to be a similar figure for gay rights. Someone is going to need a blood transfusion and he is the only match, leading to them all learning a valuable and cheesy lesson about all humans being the same.

Yeah, seems likely. He's definitely going to win the world over somehow. Maybe he dies heroically saving the crew or something, if the writers aren't smart enough to avoid the "bury your gays" trope.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I imagine the writers’ room had some fun working out a “The Martian”-style scenario for the NK guy to have survived on Mars with just a Soyuz lander. We’ll probably hear about it next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if the change to PRK from DPRK is because this is a Sony Pictures show? It’s possible they’re still smarting from the famous hack of all their data and have used this as a fig leaf to say “look, in this alternate timeline the People’s Republic of Korea is a completely different political entity from the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, and we’re not saying anything bad about you”.