Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Need to have more dumb Karen speeches about living in the grey.

Except now she's talking about her new wig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There'll be a whoopsie daisy gently caress-up season where they end up backsliding really badly / one of their colonies is cut off for a significant chunk of time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the Mars missions are gonna go horribly wrong. (The spinning out of control metaphor was pretty clear, IMO.)

My guess is that the corporate mission gets there first, but they cut so many corners and are so reliant on last minute saves that the mission ends up being disastrous.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

This isn’t a leftist show

Let's be honest, what show is?

(Yes, I can think of three off the top of my head, but they're not common.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno if I've said this before, but the show dunking on Karen and Ed is genuinely the funniest thing. They're both such massive arseholes, and then life turns around and repeatedly shits on them... Sometimes it's shockingly awful, like their kid dying, but mostly I just experience Schadenfreude.

e.g. Ed in this episode, between getting into that dick measuring competition with Danielle, the toxic relationship with his hot but seemingly otherwise unsuited to him wife... that bit where she goes to chuck her shoe right at his head and it lands on the bed and they both do a comedy beat like they've missed their stage cues... it's just funny.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

The treaty was signed before the discovery of Helium-3 deposits, Moon is now the Middle East.

My buddy raised the point: what's going on in the actual Middle East during this timeline, now that fossil fuels have been depreciated?

Or are they just not gonna touch that at all?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m no space engineer but that whole out of control booster poo poo is still bothering me.

The fuel lines have to run from someplace. Like the drat booster wasn’t getting fuel from it self. They made a mention about the remote shutdown not working but gently caress just cut all the fuel to everything then deal with it in zero g.

I get that it’s a show but god drat it’s irritating me lol

but then the wedding would be ruined :negative:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rappaport posted:

So Margo was an angel all along?

and ye, the halo that adorned her divine presence was red

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Does Apple have a "no nudity" requirement or something? Why weren't they actually skinnydipping?

Not to my knowledge (See has some nudity) though it could be a combination of things e.g. the actors not wanting to be nude, etc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

WHY is this Danny poo poo so loving awful

You've got to find the funny man, this poo poo is hilarious. It's one of the most consistently entertaining parts of the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

in what world would a kgb director be allowed to just straight-up murder the head of the soviet space programme on british soil in the head of nasa's hotel room

Oh man this made me laugh so hard.

I know everyone hates on the Daren plotline, but man this whole soviet skulduggery thing is way more out of the show's wheelhouse.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
lol that this season keeps using unmoored cabling the same way a slasher movie uses a serial killer villain.

Scene was cool, and felt more brutal than a lot of other television airing right now, e.g. The Boys, Stranger Things, even though I know it's probably not -- a classic case of less being more, I guess.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: this moon conspiracy.

It's been a while since last season, but a) most everything everyone's talking about in this episode is incorrect, and b) there actually was something dodgy involving the base's reactor, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've been assuming that the Dany plotline is leading up to the first murder in space.

(Russian involved shootings don't count.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

did I miss a few months timeskip at some point? Rewatching ep4 and how was the Russian astronaut on Sojourner having a live conversation with his wife?

She's on Polaris :tinfoil:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I wonder which characters/cast members will be around next season. I kind of assume Danny and Kelly will be there simply because they are younger astronauts that have gotten a decent amount of screen time. I also expect Aleida to be back since she is the main young person that gets screentime at NASA.

I'm surprised they dropped so many of the supporting cast from last season e.g. both the astronauts who were with Ed during the finale.

It feels like there's a whole missing generation between Danny's peers and Danni's peers. I think the only remaining one is Nick.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yous are thinking too small: Ed declares himself President of Mars, and breaks away from Earth.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're about to find Water, and pretty sure Danny counts as thr first alien life on Mars, time to party.

lol at Ed flying over to the habitat like he's geriatric space dad flying around in his space walker.

"How do you like working with my daughter?"
"..."
*Ed gestures*
"...Who!?"

So many funny buts this episode.

EvilHawk posted:

I decided overnight that Will is 100% going to be staying on Mars. I think they said the mission was scheduled for 2 years? Well he can't be discharged if he never goes home. Plenty of time for them to set up a permanent base with the full lake of water they've found. Echos Ed doing the same back in season 1 as well.

I assume he'll be one of a handful of defections to Helios.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watch the Russians play both sides off against each other. Red planet Mars, baby.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

this is something I hated at the time in S2, it bothered me how hard Ed was working to bring Gordo specifically back to NASA. There's surely a ton of qualified candidates who could do the job just as well. Bringing in your old space friend is step N on the endless road to nepotism gerontocracy that this show seems to crave.

I've wondering how much of this is just a Ron Moore blindspot (this is exactly the kind of politics that BSG descended into) and how much is him trying to rework an idea from an earlier show that he never got the chance to properly criticise.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah America in the show's timeline is blissfully unaware of how bad a zealot with access to a hardware store can be.

Edit: it's perfectly natural that Ed would assume that ordering someone to get their poo poo together would rectify the issue because that's his whole deal.

Yeah, a lot of this arc is about Ed replicating the same mistakes that got his son (and Danny's best friend) killed.

Honestly, the dead kid angle should turn up more often given that it's clearly the thing driving so much of this insane Oedipal drama.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rappaport posted:

I think the geek dude is legit afraid of both Ed and Danny, especially after the robopooch bit it.

Oh yeah, Nick (and most of the Helios crew) have been low key terrified of Danny since before the movie re-enactment incident.

Ed's a terrible leader too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hasn't Sonya Walger been dropped from the cast though?

I suspect that if we were going to see her this season past those first two episodes, we'd have seen her during the episode were Karen went to see oldmate stoner husband.

Like, I'm not discounting future cameos from the character but I think the show's basically done with her now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think I mentioned this as a joke a few weeks ago, but I kinda love that Kelly and Danny ending up together is an increasing possibility.

It'd just be the biggest train wreck. Drive right into the dramatic muck on this one show, I believe. :pray:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I hope they do raid the North Korean probe, if only so we can get a scene of Kim Jong Il watching a TV showing screenshots of the capitalist pigdog Americans stealing his probe.

And Jimmy will be on Fox News saying none of this stuff ever happened. The deep state paid off his brother to lie about it. The Mars mission was all done on a sound stage in Utah, and those "dead" astronauts are all living secret lives in Dubai.

A Jimmy vs Danny plotline seems all but inevitable at this point tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

The gay guy and the Russian guy who is afraid of AIDS are also competent.

I'm sympathetic to Will's decision to leverage the success of the Mars mission over queer rights (it's absolutely what I'd do) though he was in effect holding the entire mission hostage in opposition to American hypocrisy.

The Russian can get in the sea though. The AIDS panic is obviously irrational -- he'd already have HIV if Will was a carrier -- and just blatant public reason rationalisation of his homophobia.

Between the firing and Ed arriving with all that extra food, I was honestly expecting Will to defect to Helios.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 30, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Jimmy cares about the people at NASA, was just tricked into thinking they are lying to him about what happened to his parents.

I mean, they actually are lying to him.

I'm increasingly convinced this season ends with Danny performing another successful (or semi-successful) coverup, and a significant thread going into next season will concern a conflict between the two brothers over what exactly happened up in space. It's too juicy to the generational themes / inherited trauma stuff the show's been pursuing the last few years.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 31, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, how much of this baby drama is based on the baby being half Russian?

I still stand by the best/worst way this ending is with Kelly and Danny becoming a couple, and Danny would absolutely do it if they needed to fake a non Russian father (and there literally aren't any other viable options at this point).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Didn't they mention that Ellen had aligned herself with Atwater?

Cojawfee posted:

The only way we'd see Ellen again after this next episode is if she doesn't run at all or loses the 96 election, and then runs again in 10 years. If she stays as president, she'll be out in 2000, and the next season will likely be in the mid 2000s. If they do go for the Al Gore route, it will probably better to just have the white house be out of the picture entirely. I'm not really sure what Ellen would be able to do on the show though. Modern ex-presidents tend to disappear into the background, though some annoyingly stick around.

Are we sure the show is jumping ahead again that far with Season 4? I'm beginning to suspect we'll not get that big a time jump this time, just because they've not really seeded a future generation and they clearly want to keep Ed, Karen, Danni, etc. involved. (This would be a loving terrible final season for Danni, despite some good stuff in the early and mid season.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's so weird to me that they ended on a cliffhanger about the Russians conspiring and then the next episode, nothing.

Not as bad as that cliffhanger from Season 2 of The Terror, but still pretty inexplicable.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think this season was just poorly plotted.

Take the Margo plot, for instance. Once Aleida discovers something is going on (episode four, basically) the script just hammers the same plot point over and over without any ability to accelerate it. Aleida is suspicious, Margo shuts her down, Aleida feels bad but continues her dogged pursuit.

Or the Danny thing. Danny is mad with Ed about Karen and Shane, and this causes him to act out. Same plot beat, repeated over and over, except sometimes it's drugs and sometimes it's bullying and sometimes it's murder and sometimes it's passive resistance.

Karen has her space plans scuttled, so she joins Dev. He pisses her off, and she leaves. She joins again. Her space plans are scuttled and she thinks about leaving but she stays. And then she leaves again, permanently this time.

It also doesn't help that several conflicts are just raised and dropped randomly -- Larry's infidelity is being threatened by an all male remake of Watergate. Oh, whoops, I guess that guy's... in rehab now?

And not just that, there's also the whole Helios base vs Ed, the Commies doing baby shenanigans... Bill (Peanut) has a tearful goodbye scene before going to work for the other guys, then is back to helping Aleida again about four episodes later without much drama.

There were some well plotted episodes in the first half, like the space race episode, the landing episode, Will's coming out episode, the space hotel disaster... but the back half was definitely not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Which uuuuhhh brings up a different point, which is simply ... what the hell is the narrative purpose of the NK guy at all? How does it even change the story?

I thought the big changeup would be to completely upend geopolitics due to making the whole three-way space race just a golly-gee-shucks waste of time, but ... there was no consequence to it that we got to see? Just the JSC and then a time skip. Maybe there'll be a lot more international fallout from it in S4E01 but ...

But thinking about how this was framed from a writing standpoint, it's
- Conflict: we need to get our guys back up to Phoenix
- Ticking clock: Kelly is pregnant
- New problem: mystery acronym tech is broken, we have to get a new one
- Surprise solution: there's one over there
- PLOT TWIST! NK DUDE :aaaaa:
- ... Anyway. They get acronym tech and send Kelly back to Phoenix and all is well

Like ... what is he now, "Another Crewman!" from the end of Galaxy Quest?

Yeah this season wasn't plotted well at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Penitent posted:

I feel like Ronald D. Moore is not the guy to give us the "Star Trek" style anti-capitalism, secular-humanism future.

When we get to season 10 and it's 500 years later in another star system the primary drama between characters will still be fueled by adultery, substance abuse, and religious fanaticism.

I don't think Moore wrote anything for the show this season (and it shows IMO).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I dunno, Ed's "There's gonna be a reckoning when this is over" is straight up Adama from BSG

There are two BSG writers who still work on the show, so it could be their influence? Weddle and Thompson, who wrote pretty much every Starbuck episode across the four seasons of that show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone else think it's kinda funny that all the regulars leave this show by dying? Like, no one just quits or becomes boring and moves away, they have to have a building fall on them or their plane drop off of the sky.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

We skipped a few months, fair to assume that all the abortion debate happened, and then once Kelly made it clear she wanted to keep it they accepted that, probably even brought together in the idea that one good thing could come out of the train wreck of three combined missions. Would actually seeing any of that discussion and alienating some watchers by putting a character they like on the wrong side of the debate (whichever side they take) have added anything to the show?

It would have been dramatic, and challenging an audience is what television for adults, IMO, should do, so I'm all for it.

There's also the fault of the cliffhanger structure -- the episode offers a dramatic situation with the understanding that the drama introduced in the scene will be followed up on during the following episode. It's the equivalent of two characters hanging off a cliff, and then cutting away for a week with the expectation that we'll get a resolution to that, only to find out that they're sitting in a bar pulling a pint without any resolution to the drama.

Like it or lump it, the final scene to the eighth episode is the two commies ominously discussing Kelly's pregnancy, and the implicit promise to the audience is that this will be followed upon, and it just isn't.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, I agree. Considering that and now adding Ellen coming out, their America would absolutely have more progressive social values than in our timeline.

I suspect we'd see a huge reactionary movement (which is, I guess, what the bombers are meant to be? I'd expect them to be at least do a little dog whistling though) and most of the leads grew up and were acculturated in our version of history, so tbh I'd expect them to still maintain significant conservative values.

Ed's big speech to Danny about affirmative action was really just ignored by the narrative entirely, wasn't it? Might as well have never happened. Man, this season was a total mess.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

Well there’s at least one very justified “this show is nuts and is losing its internal logical coherence in favour of uninteresting drama”, with which I agree.

I still like it though, nowhere else telling a somewhat optimistic story of how our species goes into space right now.

Have you seen Moonhaven?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Have they start filming the next season yet? I wonder if things kicking off with Russia in reality will make them have the US and USSR be more allied as a bit of contrast.

Yeah, back in August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Season three really soured me on the show, for just a bunch of reasons. I don't even hate the Danny plot -- it, in itself, could have been an excellent rebuke against nepotism. But the show's pivot into trying to make us feel sorry for him and Ed at the end of the season was pathetic; one's a literal puppy kicking psychotic and the other was his enabler. Ed should have crushed the kid's windpipe and left himself behind in space.

Also the way they handled the Russian and baby subplots, and particularly that cliffhanger intersection between the Russian and baby subplots, was sloppy and smacked of behind the scenes chaos.

Also, as has been pointed out before, the North Korean survivor was completely irrelevant to the season (potentially a last minute change propped up by some re-inserted news broadcasts and voice over in earlier episodes, or that's my guess).