Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just binged watched all the seasons for the first time. What a roller coaster.

I really was impressed with season ones commitment to the setting, the time period and depiction of science, even if it was very 'Gravity' esque in its approach to realism. I was surprised at how well it integrated the family dynamics into the story of these astronauts in theoretical historical situations. Shaun's death hit me harder than a TV show has done in a long time.

The second season was enjoyable from the time skip aspect - though it seemed to get increasingly more unbelievable as it went further. Karen seemed like a completely different character, and Kelly's actress seemed much older than she was portraying, so it was hard to reconcile the sudden bandaid replacement. (Though they did ok at addressing this later).

The third season was where I realised this wasn't quite the prestige television I was gushing over anymore, but it sure was drat fun abject comedy. Now we have super business Karen becoming senior executives in private space companies, Ed conquering the universe through sheer grit and uncomfortable love triangles spanning decades, not to mention space babies.

We also have former astronauts blowing up NASA because of... Conspiracy theories?

Can't imagine where they're going next. I assume that we'll find NASA being substantially defunded as a way of slowing down the tech advancement as we come closer to our world. But I eagerly await more senior Ed adventures in outer space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The show basically lost all it's believability when it became clear it needed to be about the same characters at the centre of all the world events, to ensure there was character ensemble throughline. It's very hard to do that and realistically portray space / make historical event analogues, whilst also advancing their world state at the pace they want to.

It kind of flipped on me, in that I now enjoy seeing the ridiculous way that Karen or Ed will find themselves as God Emperor of the galactic fleet.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I thought the old age makeup in general has been pretty good, noting that it is very difficult to do right and I've very rarely seen it done any better. Season 2 especially. I think season 3 Karen was perhaps the least convincing, but you could argue works with her still keeping young at heart / Danny lusting gilf entrepreneur character.

I thought Margot / Ed and others aging up has been great.

Speaking of which, season 2 Gordo was incredible. Did that actor put a whole bunch of weight on for the role or was that a very good fatsuit? I could have sworn he just packed on the pounds, but then he had an equivalent of the BSG fat Lee Adama stepping out of the shower and suddenly he's cut scene.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The alternate timeline / decade jump is such an interesting conceit it makes the entry into each season pretty memorable and excuses historical in-accuracies / the same characters being involved in everything imho.

Though it was a stern reminder of how old I am when Franz Ferdinand is now the music that establishes we've reached 20 years ago.