Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I for one loved all of the alternate history poo poo.

For a second there I thought that they were going to kill everyone on Polaris, wiping the slate clean so that we're not following octogenarians lead the mission to Mars, and killing off some of the more annoying characters like Karen. But nah, Karen's a widow now, Ed's wife is annoying, so I predict they'll be back together by the end of the season.

gently caress I love this show. Best show on Apple TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Madurai posted:

Or rather, it did happen, but consisted just of Iraq gobbling up Kuwait and nothing else.

Yup. They have a feature of news stories for each year between season. Iraq invaded Kuwait, President Gary Hart didn't want to act. Saudi Arabia got pissed, and with their own internal struggles with the oil market collapsing, they called off their relationship with the US.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I love that this new timeline has flat screen HDTVs by 1992 as well as Comedy Central's Battlebots

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kloaked00 posted:

When Bragg mentioned to Ellen he's been a supporter since "the tank", they have to mean she pulled off the Dukakis right?

That was my thought

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I hope the ghost of Tracy comes to mess with Karen for loving her son. Kind of like head Six on BSG.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
What time do new episodes go up? I feel last week it was up early on Thursday.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

withak posted:

Around now.

I'll watch the new Star Trek first. I tend to prefer serialized TV, but I'm kind of enjoying that this new Star Trek is very episodic, especially after how heavy handed the serialized storytelling has become on Enterprise and Picard.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Something happened earlier in the episode that I thought was very stupid, but I forgot what it was. But I'm just realizing that they're deliberately making Margot look like Janet Reno.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jet Jaguar posted:

They introduced a bunch of astronauts last season, and brought zero of them back this season.

We saw at least 2 of them in tonight's episode. The lunar marine who was hanging out with not-Danny Stevens, and the guy who had a crush on Tracy when she arrived at Jamestown last season, and then was doing the impression of the Gordo-Tracy movie tonight. Oh, and the Soviet defector from last season, so that's 3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khablam posted:

No chance Danny wasn't winning this race when they did the loving Adama manoeuvrer

My thoughts exactly. I said, gently caress yeah, the Adam maneuver when I saw it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISmZKuRcAjM&t=56s

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So are gays the new cylons?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hoopy Frood posted:

Have there been any references at all to the character of Sally Ride this season, considering she played a big part in the final episodes of Season 2? Since her character was a real person in our timeline who also happened to be the first known LGBT astronaut, I wonder if they might reintroduce her character as an ally to Will and Ellen.

No mention. I suspect they try and not to do too much with real life people so that they're not just making up major parts of their lives, especially as they're giving closer and closer to modern day. I think they probably just wanted to honor the fact that she was the first woman (and lesbian!) in space in real life, so they included her in a major launch in the show instead, giving her a heroic role.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Maybe they have something fun in store for us with Danny. Maybe they'll loosely adapt the story of Lisa Nowak, the astronaut who wore diapers so she could drive 900 miles without stopping in order to kidnap the woman Lisa's astronaut boyfriend was cheating on her with. We're only 11 years off in the timeline, and given how far advanced we are in technology. in 1996

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
My guess, the liquid water has now either evaporated or frozen due to Danny's fuckup. The Helios hab is now buried under sand and rock, and NASA (namely Danielle and Kelly) will have to come dig them out. We'll cut it close to whether Ed survives his injuries. Danny will go through withdrawal while in the hab, and the other helionauts and cosmonauts will have to restrain him. And Karen does something annoying.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Spacebump posted:

Ellen is going to resign rather than get caught lying under oath and will do the Nixon pose while leaving. Far right VP is going to wreck NASA’s budget after all the Mars disasters. He is going to be pro oil and coal, setting back the planet…until next season.

Haven't they repeatedly stressed that NASA is self funded? Or did you mean, he's going to take their money and spread the wealth?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Good point. Republicans do like to gently caress things up intentionally

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

blue squares posted:

Show sucks now, confirmed. Could have been a cool episode a la the Martian where they work through a series of engineering and communication problems. Instead all of the actual engineering problem solving happens off screen and all we get is dramatic dialogue.

gently caress this show for squandering what season 1 gave us. This is now a Friday or Saturday show, not a must-watch on Thursday night show

Yeah, it was another pretty boring episode. What's going on? Are the rumors that the showrunner left true? This was my favorite show, but it seems like as they move further and further away from actual history, they don't know what to do.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

withak posted:

Mars baby inbound!

Yeah, that was pretty predictable from the start.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mistermojo posted:

good episode but this show is addicted to drama. we wanted the BSG Ronald Moore but he's been corrupted by Outlander

BSG had plenty of problem from having seasons padded out to more than 20 episodes. Lots of filler.

I forgot he does Outlander. That show started to poo poo the bed after the daughter was born.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
lol good bounce back after a few lame episodes. Gay rights for everyone!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rental Sting posted:

Are we sure that the North Korean actually landed on Mars first? I know the NK probe was launched first but I imagine whatever engine they used to get there is a whole lot slower than what the other teams were working with.

We don't even know if the cache they were going for was the one that the NK guy landed in. He could have been retrieving supplies from it, been on patrol, or monitoring communications and realizing that they were going to steal from his ship, went out to defend it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Jodi Balfour (Ellen Wilson) has gotten engaged to her A League of Their Own Costar Abbi Jacobson!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

EvilHawk posted:

Having the Russians (presumably via force) terminate Kelly's baby would be a step way too far. There's not really a way to come back from that.

You had a way different read on that scene than I did. I imagine they are going to try and manipulate events so that the baby, and maybe Kelly, go to the Soviet Union when they return to Earth, claiming that since the father was Russian, then the baby should be raised there, and they can claim the first person born on Mars was Soviet.

JazzFlight posted:

They never followed up on the "Gordo sees some red lights over at the Russian base" tease from Season 1, did they? Same with rumors that they were digging or building something?

I feel like in season 2 they suggested that the Soviet base was mostly underground, compared to the American site that was above ground. But no, they never confirmed what the red light was, or what exactly they were digging for. I would have liked to have seen the Russian base at some point, but I imagine they are still purposely limiting a Soviet perspective to keep the mystery going.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I thought the red light was just part of Gordo going space-crazy, though I haven't seen that season in a while so could be wrong.

I seem to recall that they focused on the light after Gordo left the moon to show that he wasn't hallucinating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
That was a fun season finale, although not nearly as good as the season 2 finale. They did just kind of end everything without any resolution whatsoever, and then did an 8 year time jump. Could have been handled better.