Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Get your жопа to Mars!!11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Negostrike posted:

Also those LCD/Plasma displays in friggin 1992 bother me.

Yeah I don't care for some of the implausibly advanced stuff, it would look cooler with clunkier tech. But I guess they're just going with 1992 now has 2022 tech for ??? reasons. Whatever, still good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

teacup posted:

I'm gonna be watching Season 3 Ep 1 tonight so I'm not reading any posts right now, but what I'd love to know is has any of the cast or crew or apple confirmed if this is the last season, or if they have plans for more after this? I thought I read somewhere like "the conclusion" and now I'm worried.

Ron Moore has talked about intending a seven season run if Apple's willing to produce it.

https://collider.com/for-all-mankind-season-3-ronald-d-moore-interview-future-plans-starship/

Planned for seven, ideas for longer if it kept going.

The cast is going to be interesting if it runs that long though. Having those original astronauts still around this season is pushing it, having them still doing space poo poo in season 4 wouldn't make much sense. They'd have to be moving into a new main cast unless they're doing some real sci-fi poo poo to make us think dudes in their 80s are still going to be capable of front line space exploration.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 10, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah they launched the Not James Webb Telescope in the mid 90's, they have nuclear rockets, and working fusion power, both of which we still don't have. Their tech is a few decades ahead of us, minus reusable rockets. But anyone making a modern-era space show for the last 40 years can't help but keep using the Space Shuttle far beyond its capabilities so I'm used to that.

The Webb launching early was a solid joke. Nuclear rockets are very fine, NASA had a working NERVA engine ready for a Mars mission in 1968. Actually surprised they didn't come up with something more advanced. The fusion's a gimme, the show's always been on a path to become more science fiction over time so sure.

I'm not actually bothered by LCD screens I just think using the older tech would give it a different look and be neat. I don't want the show to just look like generic sci-fi at some point.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah this is why I'm absolutely convinced there'll be some sort of espionage scandal plotline. The CIA will know this phonecall is happening and probably is fine with it as long as it's convenient, but something will happen (probably poo poo going wrong on Mars) and Margo will be exposed.

Seems likely. Hard to believe the head of NASA has spent a decade exchanging secret phone calls with the Soviet Union without being noticed and monitored.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Maybe I missed it but can't believe no one brought up The First Dance song choice, :lol:

Also Jimmy's the coolest.

I meant to ask what that was about, I don't remember its significance.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

It was the song Karen and Danny started dancing to when they were alone closing up the bar, started kissing, and then you know. lol.

Ah that makes sense with her reaction. I tried to forget that plot ever happened.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I love this show but uh. I cannot comprehend how that plotline happened. Definitely "writer's barely disguised fetish" vibes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My guessing:

Season 4: With viable fusion the colonization of the solar system can begin. Also fusion rockets make travel times short enough the outer solar system is accessible, so the main astronaut plotline is heading to Enceladus/Titan to look for life (or Europa if the writers forget about Jupiter's radiation belts). They find microbes.
Season 5: Conflicts over colonization and the proof that alien life exists.
Season 6: ?
Season 7: I definitely think ending with first contact is the plan. The question is how sci-fi is the show going to get. Is this just radio first contact, or are they going all the way to FTL sci-fi? I don't know, I'm inclined toward the former. Also affects whatever happens in season 6, are they going to go with Earth gets its poo poo together before first contact or first contact triggers Earth to get its poo poo together?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I liked the hotel. Feels sci-fi and futuristic but it's also something we could build right now if we really wanted to.

I don't think the diameter looked big enough to make a comfortable 1g without making the people aboard woozy from rotation but I can control myself.

Experiments suggest that for most people 3 RPM or lower is tolerable without getting motion sick, which means a minimum 100 meter radius for 1g.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 12, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm not sure what the point would be. Without an atmosphere there's no overpressure or fire, which are the main destructive parts of a nuke. The radiation burst would be worse I suppose without air to filter it, though lingering radiation wouldn't matter. I guess if something were buried deeply enough and you needed to bust down to it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The gravity you get depends on the radius of rotation and the RPM. So you would be able to make a ring station rotating for 1 g in the man habitat area (they mentioned in the podcast the station is indeed too small for this to be done comfortably, imagine double the size or more) and then you could have facilities further up the spokes at various different gravities depending on how far they are from the center. A whole second ring at .5 or little pods at various gravity for space sports or whatever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AcidCat posted:

So over the last couple weeks I've tried to get into this show, but it has been rough going. The only reason I'm still kinda watching it is I've got no other decent shows going right now. S1 episodes seem like a ratio of 20% cool stuff to 80% painfully banal personal melodrama. I find myself fastforwarding through scenes and then skipping entire episodes and not feeling like I missed much. Yet I keep hearing good things about this show. Does S2 and 3 improve this ratio significantly or is this show just not for me?

If you're skipping entire episodes then just don't watch it. It's a serialized show, you're not going to improve it by not seeing the story.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Holy poo poo Danny is such a psycho

Surely it can't be worse than what they did last season, he says, laughing with dead eyes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think her getting outed is going to happen, that's too clear a story to pass up. I can see the results going either way though. This is supposed to be a hopeful show in the end, it backfiring and helping to advance gay rights more and faster than the real world seems entirely possible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I thought through it and Ed is, at absolute minimum, 57. He flew in the Korean War, so let's say he was only there for 1953 and that he was a pilot at 18. Which isn't possible but for the sake of argument. That puts him born in 1935, so 57 in 1992. Realistically we're talking early 60s at the youngest since being a combat pilot means he's been in for a few years at least. 65-ish is about right. Odds are Karen is younger than Ed but probably still 60.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There has actually been NASA discussion about sending old astronauts on a Mars mission since the radiation would be less of a problem. Both because there is some evidence older people aren't as affected by it, and because if you're in your 60s the increased cancer risk/fertility issues aren't such a big deal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Space_Wizard posted:

Is it too much to hope that,

Space CEO turns out to be evil,
Soviet, NASA & Helios missions all run into issues and have to cooperate to complete the mission with a joint 'first' landing
Margo gets revealed as a soviet spy and has to resign in disgrace
Ed and Danielle's skills are needed to compliment each other and the relationship repairs after Ed apologises for being a racist old man
To mend bridges, Ed agrees that Danielle be the first person on Mars
Danielle becomes administrator of NASA going into the 2000s.
Next season starts with a permanent colony on Mars

I can see all of this happening except the first. I don't see this show going as simple as just having a straight up evil character. It's more sophisticated than that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's probably fine? It would need to be sturdy enough to handle the rotation so it's not that delicate. It would mostly depend on the g forces from the engines. And there's no reason to do high g acceleration, a plasma or nuclear engine that can do lower thrust for a longer time is better for traveling long distance. The fun thing is that if it's rotating while accelerating your direction of gravity is going to be angled instead of directly into the floor. You'd probably want to leave the interior set up for rotational gravity so everything would be pretty funky under acceleration.

Rotation also lets you gradually slow down the spin as you go and have a less abrupt transition into 0.38 g. Even more helpful on the way home.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

KGB guy has the smoothest fuckin ears I've ever seen.

Sivart13 posted:

Did the show say how long the trip to Mars is expected to take?

No, but a real NERVA engine could realistically do the trip in a bit under three months. They aren't using fusion rockets.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 24, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I love the design of that Soviet ship too. They got it just right.

The NASA one is fuckin crazy, I would not want to go to Mars in that kei car lookin poo poo. And those NERVAs are waaaaaaay too close to the crew cabin for my tastes. I'll ride the Helios ship.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mars botanist named Andy was nice too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I took it as the same kind of astronaut bitching that ended up making the Shuttle manually controlled when NASA was planning for it to be automated.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bawfuls posted:

now THAT was a fuckin episode hot drat!

Hell yeah it was. Chernobylship is a sexy beast too, got the Soviet space design aesthetic down just right.

CommanderApaul posted:

Pretty sure either Margo or Danielle dropped that it was a 6 month trip. Hohmann transfer from Earth to Mars is ~8-1/2 months. Lunching from Luna doesn't really get you anything extra since you're still transferring from (high) Earth orbit to Mars orbit, so if they're shaving 2-1/2 months off the travel time they're doing some extra on the Earth-Mars injection and on the Mars orbit injection. Expanse style flip and burn.

They're using NERVA engines, not chemical rockets, so there's a lot more oomph available than on a lowest energy Hohmann transfer. Usual NERVA estimates are two to four months. A six month trip is pretty leisurely.

This is the drug Ed's taking, by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandrolone_decanoate

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And Soviets did the same--one of the many arguments against the moon landing hoax idiots is the Soviets monitored the missions as well and sure as poo poo would've said something if they were fake.

Even if the telemetry were encrypted, by the point we see the feed in NASA they were in contact with the Soviets about it and presumably were allowing NASA to see what was going on so they could help rescue the crew.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Probably not, though it was a lot bigger than solar sails usually are in TV so I appreciated the attempt.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's seven. Though Moore also said they have ideas for another couple seasons if they wanted to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

it's kinda funny how the whole premise of this series is "What if the Soviets got to the moon first" and then they still make the soviets still just basically are second rate at everyhing and they just got everyone going to mars killed after extorting the technology to even get there out of margot

It keeps it kind of grounded. Despite the early success the Soviet space program was well behind NASA by the mid 60s and never caught up again, there was basically zero chance of them making it to the moon at all, let alone first. The fact that they pulled it off in this universe was likely a lot of luck and a big risk, but they managed. That still wouldn't change the fact that NASA's resources dwarf anything the Soviet program had access to, so they'd be struggling desperately. Plus the Soviet economy was mostly functional by this point due to massive amounts of oil, which working fusion is rendering obsolete.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TIP posted:

the actual change to the timeline isn't the soviets beating us to the moon, it's korolev not dying a few years earlier

losing the genius behind their program was a major blow to the russians

I don't know enough about the history to say whether it's actually believable that with him in place they had a shot at beating us, but that is the show's position

It's not particularly believable, no amount of genius makes up for the difference in funding and resources between the two programs. NASA was already well ahead before Korolev's death. There's also disagreement about how important Korolev was and if he was actually beneficial to the program or not. But it's fine, it's fiction and it's not so absurd it isn't acceptable.

Like if they had China landing on the moon in the 60s that would be so ridiculous as to ruin the story. The Soviets doing it is sufficiently plausible to work.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 5, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They also have to pick up Mark Watney somehow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I didn't catch if the June 4th massacres happened in China in this universe or not. You could posit instead using the protests to further the period of reform in the 80s instead of the massacres and conservative nationalist turn that happened after, leading to a PRC that isn't so awful in the current/future of their timeline. That would have more interesting options since you could have more international cooperation, and the PRC loving hated the Soviets so they're sort of a third party.

I really don't know what the North Korea stuff is about since them having a crewed space program in the 90s would be even more absurd than China doing it in the 80s, but we'll see. Other than one plot they're pretty good about making things work. :v: North Korea wouldn't be quite as bad off in the 90s as they were in the real world since their Soviet sugar daddy is still around propping them up.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 6, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You can't launch a rocket without it being detected. But spent upper stages are not actively tracked, no one really cares about them, so when one randomly shows up later it can be very hard to determine whose it is.

Senor Tron posted:

Edit: did I miss a few months timeskip at some point? Rewatching ep4 and how was the Russian astronaut on Sojourner having a live conversation with his wife?

There was a time skip somewhere, yeah. Five light minutes is about 90 million kilometers. That's a good few months of travel.

E: Wait it was five minute delay so they're only 2.5 light minutes away. 45 million. Still quite a trip. Two months maybe.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 8, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lol at that ending. And double lol at those Helios spacesuits, holy poo poo.

Sivart13 posted:

science-wise, what the hell is this little wonkavator that can get within 1000m of the martian surface and then just zoop back up to orbit? does everything have little helium-3 engines that are magic?

Again, there are no fusion engines. If you're landing on Mars the lander would also have to be able to get you back to orbit (in this configuration anyway) so abort to orbit would be doable. LM could do it for moon landings too.

There are other mission configurations where your lander wouldn't have enough fuel to do it, but no reason why it wouldn't have enough in the tanks for landing + abort option for what Helios is doing. Doing it from that low would be really risky but it's a TV show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My guess is the landing engines to get it into the air then the main engines to orbit. Mars is already radioactive as poo poo so you wouldn't have to worry about that. I'm not sure a NERVA engine has enough thrust for it but maybe in 0.38 g. The Soviet ship wasn't an upper stage, it just launched from the ground on four NERVAs so if that works then two would be plenty on Mars.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Guessing the whole thing was going to land engines down, same way Starship is designed to do it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I assume the landing engines are just standard H2/LOX chemical rockets. You are right about how NERVA works and I don't think you could get off the ground with them on Earth. The show's realistic-ish but not exactly hard SF.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Which they also copped to, they just really wanted moon shuttles because they're cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It'd be great if someone just yeeted Danny out an airlock so we could move on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Who's going to be Slab Bulkhead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, I think we saw multiple landers docked on the Phoenix. And using metholox engines suggests generating fuel on Mars which would have to be ferried up to orbit.