Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hi Bob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Finally finished the show so can finish this thread.

I'm 90% certain that Sergei is living in Philip and Elizabeth Jennings house. If so, nice hat tip. (e: went back and looked, it was not, not sure what I was thinking)

For those wishing for more of a time skip, I don't think you can rule that out yet. They absolutely could be showing a quick stop at 2003 to show where Margot went and we can infer she was instrumental in advancing their program to get hypersonic neon thrusters or whatever that takes you to Europa.

I saw someone mention that the creators intend to have the show end far off in the future? Mind sharing a citation? I went into this show blind a little over a month ago and have no outside context.

Hi Bob.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 31, 2022

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ed really is the master of sloppy seconds.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It's going to be Jimmy Stevens as the far-right candidate 'of the people' to parallel Trump and be an active force against all of the goals of the space program.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gotta make sure you get that China market for AppleTV+

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not like a Sinologist but it seems to me if the show is about superpowers racing to space the conspicuous absence of China as a player would be more insulting than having them in the game, even as a Yellow Peril Boogieman.

Hell, I had a great time watching The Battle at Lake Changjin where MacArthur gets introduced like a loving Metal Gear Solid villain and US Airmen cackle gleefully and twirl their moustaches while strafing wounded Chinese soldiers; I can totally imagine a Chinese audience watching this for yucks to see what the dumb Yankees thought an alternate history Evil Space China would be like. Having loving North Korea essentially taking their place narratively (absolutely idiotic in an alternate timeline with an extant USSR for reasons I've said already in this thread) is just insulting.

China is currently developing a super secret and advanced society under the sea, like an underwater Wakanda and this will be revealed in season 5 and provide an air of superiority over all these idiots trying to figure stuff out in space.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

It’s entirely possible that China didn’t develop the same way as it has in our timeline :shrug:

There was a very interesting Jordan Harbinger podcast where he interviewed one of the higher ups at Marvel who explained how much of the movie business is changing scripts and everything to placate China to look better so that they can get access to that giant market.

So it stands to reason that Apple would do something that only shows China in a positive light or at least definitely not in a negative one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Apple isn’t placating China for the Apple TV+ market; they’re doing it for the iPhone market (and supply chain).

Distinction without a difference

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but now we will get Ed trying to use a PSP and saying "What in the sam hill is this? Whatever happened to Pong? Now that was a video game."

Why would he use a ten year old video game console in season 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sorry you have to find out this way.

I'm making a joke that in their universe it was invented in the early 90s.