Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The US can't win because "winning the space race" was what pretty much put NASA on the back burner in the US. We got to the moon, Russia acted like they never even planned on going to the moon in the first place, and then it was a slow descent into no one caring about space anymore. So the US has to keep losing in order to keep escalating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Those two being the Romeo and Juliet of the cold war would be hilarious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The OP is like four lines long, plus a youtube video, and THEN it says how it is released. You think I have endless time to figure these things out?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Was a pretty neat episode. I'm gonna need someone to recap what all happened in the time skip montage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess it's easier to just say LCD panels happened sooner than source era appropriate CRTs for everything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not sure how many more decades they can convincingly age Ed into before he's the oldest man in human history leading a raid on a Soviet base on Titan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Need to have more dumb Karen speeches about living in the grey.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

drat that was some good rear end TV.

Having seen Severance, I feel like I'm a bit spoiled for "imaginative take on unstuck-in-time tech". It really kind of blew that bar off the pillars, so I'm not really that surprised that FAM's tech is a bit less balls-to-the-wall about it, but it does kind of poo poo me that they're flogging it so much with these extra features about the alt-universe tech that just isn't as creative as maybe it could be. We have 2022 LCDs in elevator controls and LG flatscreen TVs everywhere but we're also taking notes on literal Newtons? Lmao.

I kind of wish they had gone with older style 4:3 LCDs for monitors and maybe use projectors since there aren't large size 4:3 LCDs for the big TVs. I guess getting modern monitors was easier than sourcing some old Viewsonics.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
And then the fire nation attacked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

Hoping that there’s a small blurb mentioning the bankruptcy and expropriation of a white-owned South African emerald mine.

"South African dipshit buys failing emerald mine, goes bankrupt. Failson sent to public school"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Showing Lee Atwater and not having him be a racist piece of poo poo like he really was is a disservice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The exchange of how to fix it was hilarious.

"We have a big thruster stuck open, we can't cancel it with our other thrusters, eventually it's going to spin the ring so fast that the whole thing gets torn apart. We're going to send two guys out to try to shut off the fuel"

"Can you wait until after the wedding to do that?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

Was this supposed to be the first Space Hotel? Because a 1G space station for what is essentially the trial run of space tourism is a... bold bet.

Yeah I would have started with a zero G hotel where you get to spend like a week in space, but that could end badly if people take poorly to space. having a part of the hotel that has gravity is for the bast just in case someone can't handle zero g. Otherwise you have to send a shuttle back to Earth and waste a bunch of money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you would want to be as close to 1G as possible for people not used to space flight. Mostly because the guests aren't going to realize that it things will work differently in space. So in .5G, they will be tossing things across the room, pouring drinks and spilling everywhere because the liquid doesn't pour the same way, and then they will stand up from a chair with the same force they've always used and launch themselves into the ceiling at worst, or get startled and fall down at best.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love that Molly has a service dog that is completely useless aside from growling at people she doesn't like.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Space dicks out for harambee.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, still waiting for that shoe to drop where she gets outed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wheeljack posted:

"Let me be straight with you" the VP candidate said to the closeted lesbian on the top of the ticket.

On the other hand, the ERA passed and a Republican woman has just taken the top spot for the presidency. We're approaching the time of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, which was a push forward for LGBTQ protection, more than the previous "We'll find out and then throw you out" policy the military had. Ellen's an astronaut hero and, possibly, president. Could be that she gets outed and overcomes it, doesn't get impeached. Bill Clinton wasn't, as far as rough parallel timelines go.

My post was about Margo being outed as a spy, but this is a good line of thinking too. I don't think they could really impeach her for being gay. She is in a straight "relationship" and has a child. If she is outed as gay, the worst they can do is just not vote for her in the next primary. While people being outed against their will sucks, it would be an interesting plot. You end up with a big infight in the party, where the far right run a bigot candidate (probably trumpian/maga) in the primary to try to get rid of her. Maybe her VP runs against her too. The Log Cabin Republicans have been around since the 70s and apparently did some stuff in the 90s, so maybe they will come into play.

I guess they could just have everyone resign from her administration to try to force her resign, but even Trump was able to find enough dipshits to run things in his last days when everyone else was jumping ship.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Personally, I can't wait for the radio chatter between Ed and Danny while in the transfer to Mars orbit. Ed starts saying racist poo poo for no loving reason, and Danny just hops on the radio and says "Ed, I hosed your ex wife" every few hours.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's really loving weird that Danny is lusting after a woman in her 60s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I figured it was mid-50s but what do I know

I guess it's possible that she's mid 50s if she's younger than Ed. But I assume that Ed is around the same age as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, who were both born in 1930. That would make Ed in his early 60s now, and I think he said that if he didn't get the first Mars mission, he'd be pushing 70 by the time another one rolled around. When you look at how old they are supposed to be, and not just how they look in the show, you realize how ridiculous it is that Ed is still going into space at all, much less considering future missions to Mars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they remove the between season videos? I went to go watch the rest of the videos from between 1 and 2, but now all of them are just gone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Good episode with lots of shake ups. Going to be interesting to see how it goes. We've got Helios with a big luxury gay space communism ship. We've got NASA with what appears to just be an expanded shuttle. And then the USSR launching a giant loving rocket directly from Earth's surface for some reason. What the gently caress was that?

Also, I really, really hope we aren't in for any more instances of KGB threatening Sergei's safety and demanding more info from Margo. She did the big dirty and gave them the nuke engine thing, I'd rather not see any more of the plot line. Though, it would be hilarious if the soviets stuck Sergei on the Mars mission and they constantly call Margo saying "Oh no, our rocket ship is big kapustky, you need to tell us how to fix it or our mission will fail and Sergei will crash in to Mars." To the point that she stops giving a poo poo and is just handing Russian design documents to engineers and telling them to fix it.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not to my knowledge (See has some nudity) though it could be a combination of things e.g. the actors not wanting to be nude, etc.

They hired a brand new person to be the girl Danny tries to cheat with (unless I'm just face blind and she's been a major character for the entirety of the show), they could have hired someone willing to do what the scene said they were doing. I don't want to be a weirdo just in it to see boobs or whatever, but if they aren't going to be nude, don't have a line that specifically says they are, it's just weird.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The helios ship does make me wonder if they will need to use all that extra space. Maybe the NASA ship has an emergency, and they need to get their crew to the Helios ship or people will die. Or maybe the Soviet ship has problems, since they couldn't figure out the nuclear engine thing, there's probably other poo poo they couldn't do in time. Then the KGB is knocking on Margo's door again, save our people, or we expose you and/or Sergei dies. And if that's the case, would there be a fight for who is in command? The thought of all three teams living on the Helios ship, but then that uses up all the resources, so they have to land at NASA's landing site because there will be supplies there. All kinds of crazy poo poo could happen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They spoke to each other when Ed poached the guy who hosed his ex wife.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Let's take this ship that at least 3 people have died on to Mars. WOO HOO!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unfortunately, you can't step on the gas, or you won't get there at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder what Ed thinks he's going to do to control the giant ship. Not like you can just grab a joystick and whip it around.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assume they aren't going that stupid and will just have a manual option in addition to the automation. There's really no need to have actual manual control of that ship. It would be better to just type in the direction you want it to point, and then have it burn for however long. Though it would be really hilarious to see Danny have to hold the ship at the right angle for 90 minutes while they do a burn. Meanwhile Ed is sitting in the captain chair with a drink saying "yeah, this is real man poo poo!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

i want them to find bona fide Star Trek aliens on Mars but it's reconciled with our timeline because we see a stray note that says "Year 2000 - Leave Mars Forever"

"You're lucky you showed up when you did. We were just about to shut down our planets core and erase all trace of our existence before leaving for a new star system."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It sits in a weird niche of history, alternate history, and space sci-fi. All of those are sometimes tricky to get people into, but I love all of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This time, all of the space soviets will defect to the US. The KGB will simultaneously strangle all of their boyfriends and girlfriends until they agree to stay communist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy gently caress. This is going to get nuts. Also, gently caress Dev, I saw that poo poo coming a mile away. I really hope it comes down to Ed and everyone hijacking their own ship, saving everyone, and then they combine resources from Sojourner onto the Phoenix and all three teams go as one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was thinking it would be a tough choice. Stay strapped in and get smashed, or undo the carabiner and float into deep space and eventually suffocate while hoping everyone gets their poo poo together and looks for you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was with yer mom back on thuh moon back in 83. Now I'm a rootin rootin protestor. I'll drink a beer to that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You didn't see the tech bro leaving people to die so he could achieve his goals?

Also, the rules for the forum are that you don't have to do spoilers once something has aired. I usually do spoiler tags for a few hours after to give people a chance to realize the episode came out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assume they just all found the best time to launch on the pork chop plot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't forget the guy whose tether threw him directly into engine exhaust. This show has brutal deaths.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, it's probably not super surprising that with how much funding NASA has (plus their revenue with the helium 3 stuff) that they would be able to dump money into research and create modern LCDs 20 years ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The guy also said that the reactor had a back up cooling loop, which was true. The second, secret reactor was not on the backup loop.