Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Only thing worse than a computer toucher is a spreadsheet molester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

I'm the one paint stripe angled the wrong way

Cool guys stripe at different angles

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

never made or used a spreadsheet in my drat life

I live free from the bounds of your boxes and numbers, like an eagle or a small marsupial

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

never made or used a spreadsheet in my drat life

I live free from the bounds of your boxes and numbers, like an eagle or a small marsupial

If you put a list of eagles in one column and a list of different small marsupials in another column, you can click the column headings to sort by their names think of how convenient that would be

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Big Beef City posted:

If you put a list of eagles in one column and a list of different small marsupials in another column, you can click the column headings to sort by their names think of how convenient that would be

alternatively I can continue my life of running around the woods naked, a glorious stream of fetid poo poo spraying form my rear end in a top hat as I wave my arms and screech

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Seth Pecksniff posted:

mods don't use spreadsheets nooner

Speak for yourself.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Big Beef City posted:

eventually once you have enough data yo u can create a pivot table to calculate, summarize, and analyze data that lets you see comparisons, patterns, and trends in your data.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
i got that description from the official Microsoft©™ website btw, so non-believers could understand it's true power better

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I kinda like doing spreadsheets. Sometimes I have to dive into some kind of project materials list that has just loving thousands and thousands of pages and I can get a little cross eyed. I tried watching a few videos through my work training portal on some advanced spreadsheet use but I fell asleep immediately. It was like casting a spell. After the first one I made sure to get a good night's sleep and loaded up on coffee and even had something to keep my hands busy, but nah, just turned on the video and woke up 45 minutes later in my office chair and extremely sore.

What does tracking your stocks in excel do for you? Should I do that?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Going back to helpdesk poo poo, it'd be awesome to get something about Excel not working and the issue was that this person was working in some workbook that they had everything in.
And I mean every. thing.
Which it sounds like you monsters ALL do ALL the time and, anyway it'd be like 35gb in size or whatever and they'd be all pissed because some formula that needed 240 different pieces of data all on different tabs tied together 'was running slow now'. OH WORD? No, Excel hurrrr

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

- hydro rate calculator. my local electricity supplier recently introduced a new way to pay: tiered prices vs. the current time of use prices. the useless utility website very poorly compared the two and how to choose which so i made a spreadsheet to determine which was better with convergence/divergence points based on our electricity use habits (sticking with time-of-use, fyi)

You're in ON, right? Tiered is usually better unless you're using a ton of electricity or confining the majority of your usage to off-peak.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
hey

hey guys

spreadcheeks :goatsecx:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
you motherfuckers ever mail merge?

I'm about to cum just loving thinking about it

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
gonna be real elitist for a moment

I do device software for a living and it really gets my goat when someone is all "I wrote software too!!1" but it turns out they write fuckin excel macros. Motherfucker I've made robots, heart pumps, and hearing aids, we are not the same

Anyway slap all computer touchers. We deserve it.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
A good buddy of mine who works on more way cooler stuff asked for my help with a spreadsheet. Wanted something that showed like allocated manpower over time, broken down by like tasks and equipment required. So I threw something together in an afternoon, pretty basic. Stole half of it off another spreadsheet I found in their directory.

He loved it. Started showing it around. Showed his boss. Showed it to a VP, who was impressed and asked who I was.
Construction rules, I'm a gigantic moron and I can still feel smart

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sudonim posted:

I do device software for a living and it really gets my goat when someone is all "I wrote software too!!1" but it turns out they write fuckin excel macros. Motherfucker I've made robots, heart pumps, and hearing aids, we are not the same

what is that like FORTRAN

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

McGavin posted:

You're in ON, right? Tiered is usually better unless you're using a ton of electricity or confining the majority of your usage to off-peak.

i use like 1500 to 2000 kwh per month, usually about 60%+ off-peak. so yeah, tiered would be more expensive for me. if i used more during mid or peak hours or if i just used less (never gonna happen) tiered would be better, but i don't

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

The Fattest PI posted:

What does tracking your stocks in excel do for you? Should I do that?

i don't use it much anymore but i used to use it to automate decisions when i was swing trading. now i just have my money in index funds and gamble occasionally, no time for active trading these days

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

sudonim posted:

i design robots and work with programmers who do real programming so i never pretend that i write code when i'm goofing off in excel with vba lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Big Beef City posted:

Going back to helpdesk poo poo, it'd be awesome to get something about Excel not working and the issue was that this person was working in some workbook that they had everything in.
And I mean every. thing.
Which it sounds like you monsters ALL do ALL the time and, anyway it'd be like 35gb in size or whatever and they'd be all pissed because some formula that needed 240 different pieces of data all on different tabs tied together 'was running slow now'. OH WORD? No, Excel hurrrr

lol wanna see that EPIC 35 gb spreadsheet

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

what is that like FORTRAN
I have written in the following for device software:
C
C++
Python
Lua
Bash

and JavaScript lol

i design robots and work with programmers who do real programming so i never pretend that i write code when i'm goofing off in excel with vba lol
THANK you

but your contributions to the robot are just as important (actually more important) :glomp:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

And I mean every. thing.

So this is a tangential story about excel's big brother, Access. Specifically Access 1997 in TYOOL 2006/7.

Back in the before times, I used to be a computer toucher for a call center. The owner/founder of the call center had created his own CRM in Access 97, using ODBC to connect back to some absurdly ancient SQL server. When I came on board, they had deployed Dell servers with gigabit ethernet (in 2006!) because of the atrocious performance of their CRM.

The owner/founder/programmer didn't understand how SQL worked, period, so he just used it to store data. Every function, every call, sort, select, and other excel type operation re-downloaded the entire SQL database, and then performed whatever previous selections had been chosen + the new operation.

50+ Dell server-servers (:lol: still in the workstation format tho because this was sixteen years ago) churning their brains out on Access 97 calls while the SQL server sat at 6% CPU usage. I ended up teaching myself a whole lotta SQL and access poo poo to unwrap that whole mess.

Anyway then I got fed up and quit and never worked as a computer toucher again. How do I get in on this internet battletech action?

EDIT

forgot the important bit about access 97 - owner had built the code in 1997 in the then-relevant Access 97. There were some syntax changes in going to the new version of Access, and he didn't understand them so he said they were impossible. Why is this important - Access 97 had gone way EOS/EOL by the time I showed up in 2006. They'd already been busted by the FBI for using pirated versions of Access 97, so they were constantly on the hunt on eBay for someone selling randomly selling their old legit copy of Office. They couldn't buy support at any price from Microsoft, so the owner was a member of a shitload of usenet groups where you could hire Access "experts" who would come in and do programming.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 16, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

At one of my old jobs basically every original developer and product manager had left years prior, and there was no documentation about product tiers, what features each tier was supposed to have, what features relied on other features, what the intended pricing for any tier was, etc. So they hired all these new product teams to basically re-build everything from the ground up with modern "streamlined" UX.

So the solution was everyone in the (new) product teams created their own spreadsheet about what they thought the intended product tiers, features, pricing, dependencies, etc. were. Then someone took every one of those feature key spreadsheets and mashed them all into a single google sheets project. So when you wanted to know for example if feature XYZ was supposed to be available on the Professional tier or whether the customer needed the Elite tier you had to open up this spreadsheet and then glance through dozens of different tabs to see if there was a general consensus, because no one wanted to take the time to collate them all into a single aggregate sheet or whatever and I don't know how the gently caress google sheets works so I wasn't going to do it.

My job was managing the jira and bug reports and every single week I had some customer service manager coming over to me with one of their reps arguing that Feature ABC was SUPPOSED to be available on Plan Level 3 but it ACTUALLY requires Plan Level 4 and now the customer is upset and I need to write a jira for it because it's clearly a bug because their CS rep is pretty sure that if they remember right, it actually was available on plan level 3 in the past, and 2 of the tabs in the feature key say so.

When I got a question like that, my duty was to provide a verified, unambiguous answer about how the product was supposed to work, and write up a report for any where it worked other than the way I said or where I could not unambiguously point to documentation showing one clear true answer. Which of course was not a thing in this spreadsheet because it's full of conflicting information and no one at the company knows for sure and it's somehow up to marketing now to decide what features belong at what plan levels except they never do because they don't know.

Okay and then my job was to, whenever a JIRA was written like this, to pester the devs constantly until they could mark it as resolved with a 100% verified, foolproof answer or resolution. So over the course of two years at the job I built up a backlog of around 1300 jira tickets that were just that, just... "someone in CS has 'a hunch' so I need to ask for an update on this ticket every week until you provide me with the documented answer, which doesn't exist and never will exist".

And then when a JIRA had been unresolved for 60+ days it started to show up in some C-level meeting powerpoints or whatever and I would get an email from the C-suite telling me there were X number of unresolved tickets in my queue and I would then have to send an email to the product teams listing and detailing the unresolved JIRA tickets I needed their answers on. Which of course no one read

So for 2 years my job was just to send a list of ~1300 jira ticket URLs every week to the product teams then write an email to the c-suite about why they weren't resolved yet. And it took all of my time every day to the point where when I left that was literally all I did every day.

And if just one person at this billion dollar company had known how spreadsheets work it all could have been avoided

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That reminds me of 'purchasing' software for users who needed it deployed at my last place.
Which involved consulting a spreadsheet for costs as well as who, somewhere in the country, was the holder of the key to this mythical software in question (whatever it was that day), contacting them.
Then contacting purchasing.
Then contacting the user's manager for their budget approval.
Putting through the purchase request.
Then contacting management to rubber stamp it back to the key holder.
Getting the ok from the key holder.
Then pushing the install. Hoping the install worked. Hoping you didn't have too much configuration to do post install. And hoping you got away without the "Oh since I have you"

It was like being Winston in 1984 shoving a scrap of paper down the memory hole and wondering but not caring where it went.

Eventually that got more automated with SCCM and a 'store' like interface for SOME products. Good luck w/that for users doing that.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 17, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

i use like 1500 to 2000 kwh per month, usually about 60%+ off-peak. so yeah, tiered would be more expensive for me. if i used more during mid or peak hours or if i just used less (never gonna happen) tiered would be better, but i don't

Jesus, that's a lot of juice. Do you have a spreadsheet for your grow-op?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

McGavin posted:

Jesus, that's a lot of juice. Do you have a spreadsheet for your grow-op?

household of 5 + electric heating/cooling + metal cutting and welding in my garage adds up lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

you motherfuckers ever mail merge?

I'm about to cum just loving thinking about it

You should try male merge

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I use spreadsheets and OP its how I make my money. Cheers dude.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

spreadsheets rule
computers are for excel and everything else they can do is a bonus

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Doctor Dogballs posted:

spreadsheets rule
computers are for excel and everything else they can do is a bonus

basically what i'm saying

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Katamari Democracy posted:

I use spreadsheets and OP its how I make my money. Cheers dude.

:cheers:

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

i don't use it much anymore but i used to use it to automate decisions when i was swing trading. now i just have my money in index funds and gamble occasionally, no time for active trading these days

Uhhh can you send it to me? There's almost zero chance I'll use a stranger's random spreadsheet to make decisions with my hard earned moneys, but I'm curious how it works. It's also clearly out of my skill level and this is the only way I learn things in excel.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i copy and paste excel spreadsheets to update power BI lists. i just do what i'm told

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tell me you're neurodivergent without tell me you're neurodivergent: a thread.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
here's my impersonation of an excel cell when I try to do vlookup, ahem: #NAME?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
gently caress u op
Spreadsheets are really bad, god damnit.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

kntfkr posted:

here's my impersonation of an excel cell when I try to do vlookup, ahem: #NAME?

Hint: use xlookup instead

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Hint: use xlookup instead

See I never asked to read this, about spreadsheets. I don't want to have this rattling around up there now. C'mon. C'mon.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Seth Pecksniff posted:

this is the weirdest j4g intro yet

j4g 0ff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Only registered members can see post attachments!